• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

does your PS5, when laid horizontally, become a dust magnet?

magnumpy

this might be a dumb question, but I am notoriously dumb so hear me out

I place my PS5 horizontally because I heard that was best for the liquid metal, er the thermal interface material (TIM) (thanks google!)

the problem is after a few days it builds up a fine collection of dust. I know that is kind of a first world problem, but regardless what are your solutions GAF? am I just doomed to this extremely minor inconvenience? :(

SlimeGooGoo

Party Gooper
Just wash it once in a while, no worries.

l76osm8rvyy51.jpg

CrustyBritches

Gold Member
Wipe it down?

Regardless of any dust issues, I don’t put my digital edition upright because when I did I would hear a high pitch noise that I don’t hear when it’s horizontal.

My entire media center is a dust magnet.
For more ventilation I cut holes into the back of my cabinets and attached USB powered cooling fans to blow out hot air. Dust gets everywhere.

Mr.Phoenix

If you are talking about the shell, well the good thing is that you can literally peel them off and wet wipe them clean. If you are talking about the insides, well that's also pretty easy to clean too.

Keep in mind though, any device picking up dust is a symptom, you should consider doing something about the cause.

Ar¢tos

I bought a black dust cover for mine. Solved the ugly white console problem and the dust problem. They are very cheap and come in many colours.

Hudo

I know, it's fucking awful. It's obviously meant to be vertical, but it's so fucking huge (and heavy) you need reinforced shelves with loads of head room or space on a floor mounted cabinet.

Probably the worst design I've ever seen.
It's especially weird because they nailed it just one generation before with the PS4 and its variants. So I dunno what happened over there...

magnumpy

good points!

I imagine the dust issue also varies depending on where you live. and a babe magnet, please I am trying to have a serious conversation about this very important issue °ﺑ°

AV

We ain't outta here in ten minutes, we won't need no rocket to fly through space
It's a dust magnet anyway, I barley use the thing.

Really need Sony to just cut the bullshit and release their games day one on PC. They won't because of idiots like me who buy their hardware for day one releases, but I super double pinky promise I'll do the same on PC, Sony.

this might be a dumb question, but I am notoriously dumb so hear me out

I place my PS5 horizontally because I heard that was best for the liquid metal, er the thermal interface material (TIM) (thanks google!)

the problem is after a few days it builds up a fine collection of dust. I know that is kind of a first world problem, but regardless what are your solutions GAF? am I just doomed to this extremely minor inconvenience? :(
Mine is also placed horizontal...ever heard of cleaning ore dusting your house and your PS5 regular? Dont let your mom (or your wife or girlfriend) do al the cleaning.😁

Tip..buy a dustcover for your PS5, i have one and when i am not playing the cover is my best friend..your PS5 will be dustfree😉

Last edited:

magnumpy

Mine is also placed horizontal...ever heard of cleaning ore dusting your house and your PS5 regular? Dont let your mom (or your wife or girlfriend) do al the cleaning.😁

Tip..buy a dustcover for your PS5, i have one and when i am not playing the cover is my best friend..your PS5 will be dustfree😉

yes, it seems the dustcover is the ultimate solution 👍

I heard that was best for the liquid metal
Further proof that social media was a mistake. This was FUD that has since been debunked. Even the origin of this myth has admitted it was false.

“Yasuhiro Ootori from Sony’s design department has said, it doesn’t matter what orientation the console is in – the cooling will work as intended. The site that published the article has since issued an update stating that it had misquoted the console repairer.”

To answer your question, all my electronics collect dust equally. It’s normal to need to dust your shelves every few days.

If you have room to place it vertically, do it! I was horizontal since launch up until last week.

Last edited:

Kilau

en1myzi8nslxxtni0pfr.jpg

Hermen Hulst already showed us you lay it upside down. Can’t get dust on the top when it’s the bottom. 🧠

ReBurn

Gold Member
A solution , when you done playing whipe it clean with a duster,(done in no time) and then put the dustcover on. Its not rocket sience you know🤔
That's not a solution to it collecting dust while playing it. Wiping it when you're done playing is regular maintenance.

Top Bottom