• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

does your PS5, when laid horizontally, become a dust magnet?

Moses85

Yeah cloth look better than a dust cover.🤣😂🤦🏻
What do you put over your PS5? Your used underwear??

lol-gif-2.gif
Something like that

https://amzn.eu/d/ckCm9Wg
Nbc Presenting GIF by America's Got Talent

Last edited:

simpatico

Sounds like the room it's in needs to be vacuumed more often. Sundays are for cleaning your personal space. Vacuum, swiffer duster, a little windex on the surfaces. You'll be right as rain.

angrod14

Mine has been horizontal for more than one year and it barely has any dust. Vertical will collect much more since the dust will fall straight into the vents which would be on top.

Last edited:
then why cover it.
Live a little. some dust never hurt anyone. It's just an item you will replace in a few years
More dust means more console noise.
It's not like consoles are easy to clean like PCs.

That's why I'm always using dust covers since my PS4.

rofif

Can’t Git Gud

that's some old ass man mentality.
Just dust it off lol.
And as for the dust, get a roomba or something. That thing cleaning everyday, reduces dust by a lot.

Codes 208

Actually the 5 is. Just take the panels off and use an air can or vacuum to the dust hole (an intentional hole they designed in the ps5 to specifically trap dust build up)

And maybe spray the fans and vents as well every once in awhile

Actually the 5 is. Just take the panels off and use an air can or vacuum to the dust hole (an intentional hole they designed in the ps5 to specifically trap dust build up)

I do this once a year, followed by a Pledge fluffy duster once or twice a week.

Last edited:
That's not a solution to it collecting dust while playing it. Wiping it when you're done playing is regular maintenance.
And after wipping it after you're done playing than putting the dustcover over it is the icing AND the cherry on the cake. Are you saying that when you play for 4 hours the PS5 is covered with an ince of dust?

M0G

Not really. That being said, it the only thing in our media area that isn't black so its less noticeable anyways.

It's not. It's not like you can reach the heatsink without dismantling the complete console. On PC you can easily remove the graphics card. Don't try to compare It because It's bullshit.

Last edited:
then why cover it.
Live a little. some dust never hurt anyone. It's just an item you will replace in a few years
In a few years.? Ore ore.....you keep it clean and have your console much longer. I bought my PS4 in December 2013. I cleaned the inside twice a year carefuly and every month from the visible outside.
2,5 years ago i bought the PS5 and i gave my PS4 to a friend. He is cleaning is PS4 like did. The PS4 is stil running flawless. With the PS5 i have the same cleaning routine, and its running like a charm.....

Last edited:
Mine has been horizontal for more than one year and it barely has any dust. Vertical will collect much more since the dust will fall straight into the vents which would be on top.
The “vents” are simply openings into each side, not the internals. You can easily take off the covers and wipe out the dust.

Aenima

Lol i just notice thers a PS4 camuflaged in there too :D
Edit: Oh shit, thers a PS3 too even more camuflaged.

Mine is horizontal and i just wipe the dust off like 1 time every 2 weeks or so. After 2 years i decided to remove the plates to take a look at the dust collector thing, it was clean as brand new. Most of the dust was gathered in the fan grid and in the fan itself.

Last edited:

Hudo

Can't you just put your PS5 in the dish washer, like everyone else?

You just have to remove the hard drives beforehand because you don't want your saves to get washed away, obviously.

LordOfChaos

The glossy side of the Slim seems to hold dust and cat hair more than the matte side, which is annoying that they messed with what worked

OP I hope you are aware you can buy electronics wipes that are safe to use on, you know, electronics? They really aren't a very expensive thing. Wiping your electronics hardware (not just your consoles, but pretty much any electronic device that sits in one place, like a TV, PC, etc) once a week is a great idea. It's the dust that builds up inside devices that is a lot more problematic.

Last edited:

mdkirby

Mine is on its side, but we have cats, so if I removed all the dust and floof from my X and ps5 I could probably make a fur coat. I’m kinda amazed they still function 🤷‍♂️

midnightAI

No issues If you use a dust cover.👍🏻

GVRR4Wh.jpg
What the hell is that?

Whats wrong with wiping down your PS5 every so often when you wipe down the rest of your cabinet/tv stand (presuming you are using one)

That does not stop build up inside the PS5, that will only stop surface dust (which you can easily wipe off). When using the PS5 is when dust collects inside from the air around it (and as mentioned by others, for the first time, a console actually has a way of collecting/vacuum out some of the dust). Sure, its not like a PC deep clean, but lets be honest, the average joe doesnt clean out their PC either (unless the fans get too loud)

Mine is horizontal, dust free and quiet as the first day I bought it (at launch). I do benefit from having wooden floors so less dust kicked up.

Last edited:
Top Bottom