• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Doesn't Sony Already Have Gakai To Combat XBone Cloud?

Brashnir

Simply consider this. We talk about system bandwidth in triple digit GBps. We talk about system latency in single digit nanoseconds.

Offloading tasks to a separate server would give you a bandwidth in single digit MBps. We're talking about triple digit milliseconds of latency

This is not feasible for anything that would show an immediate reaction. The only thing I can think is having AI run actively at far distances. It could make something like a single player PlanetSide 2 work where each AI is actually being simulated instead of dice rolled. But who wants to play PS2 without real people?

Yeah, but dem Madden crowds, amirite?

paradise_cloudzluj4.jpg

lockload

The xbox one has a number of hardware encoders (note encoders not just decoders) for lossless compression of video/pictures(textures) and sound

There is no real need (apart from maybe uploading videos/pictures to services) for these encoders right now 'onsystem' as the data is already compressed on the disc/install and is decompressed when needed

This chipset will be necessary to enable cloud requests in the future to be efficient. This is not something that i see happening in the next few years but it is fully possible that in 5 years from now games could not have to worry about lighting computation and just worry about rendering the results of the computation leaving the system to use that computation power for something else

The issue i have with gakai (and the issue everyone talks about) is the latency due to the 'unit of work' being the video frame and not a lower level unit of work like for example processing a texture with lighting values of x.

nib95

Banned
The xbox one has a number of hardware encoders (note encoders not just decoders) for lossless compression of video/pictures(textures) and sound

There is no real need (apart from maybe uploading videos/pictures to services) for these encoders right now 'onsystem' as the data is already compressed on the disc/install and is decompressed when needed

This chipset will be necessary to enable cloud requests in the future to be efficient. This is not something that i see happening in the next few years but it is fully possible that in 5 years from now games could not have to worry about lighting computation and just worry about rendering the results of the computation leaving the system to use that computation power for something else

The issue i have with gakai (and the issue everyone talks about) is the latency due to the 'unit of work' being the video frame and not a lower level unit of work like for example processing a texture with lighting values of x.

If you want static or pre baked lighting, sure (which is not that resource intense anyway). I don't, I want dynamic lighting, which is latency insensitive and therefore defeats the point entirely. This cloud computing notion has very few advantages to computation sharing over local processing in gaming. Quite the opposite in fact, it is a logistical nightmare.

solarus

Does the ps4 also have this?

Alx

I think those would be quickly used for streaming to other device (SmartGlass), just like the PS4 will use its encoders to stream the game display to a PSVita.

onQ123

Does the ps4 also have this?

Are you talking about the Video encoder & decoder?

"Video encode and decode (VCE/UVD) units"

if so yeah & they also talked about the hardware for streaming games play & remote assistance at the reveal & in other interviews.

Read what I responded to.

If something has been rendered remotely then the only way to send the data back is via some form of video.
That's not how it works. You can't have it sending back video because the Xbox One has to compile the actual image. What good is it to send a video that is 20 frames behind when the other image is rolling past its point?

Sending texture data or any other sort of data will be a much higher amount than video.

onQ123

It's kinda funny how the long talk about the cloud at the PlayStation 4 unveiling went mostly ignored but the few seconds that the word cloud was used at the Xbox One reveal has somehow became the highlight of the show & now is secret to gaming success.

Corto

From the little that we know from each companies cloud plans they seem to have very different plans and philosophies. Xbox seems to focus on the TV and bringing the cloud power™ to enhance the performance of the console or improve the multiplayer component with dedicated servers for every game and Smart Glass is more of a companion app to the Xbox experience. Sony seems to have plans to dematerialize the Playstation service from the box under the TV and stream games and multimedia content to every connected personal device (Tablets, Laptops, smartphones, Vita). Each will have to overcome several technical problems and user habits and behaviors, so I'm very curious to know what vision will be more successful.

EvB

Sony's system has perhaps a more broad use right now, I can imagine that their ultimate goal will be that they can sell you Playstation games that you can play on any compatible Sony TV or via a small Playstation Streamer, not only keeping the games in the cloud, but meaning that the user doesn't even require expensive hardware.

I'm not even sure if it's a case of one winning, they are both using technologies that are going to become more and more practical and useful with time.

solarus

It's kinda funny how the long talk about the cloud at the PlayStation 4 unveiling went mostly ignored but the few seconds that the word cloud was used at the Xbox One reveal has somehow became the highlight of the show & now is secret to gaming success.

We need something gaming related to discuss from that presentation man.

Eusis

Probably because Sony made it clear what they want to do with it, whereas Microsoft just knows those clouds are a Big Deal and another part of their company built lots of them.

Top Bottom