• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dog Is Really Sick

Status
Not open for further replies.

Celegus

No I mean that is what we feed him on his regular diet. But if he is having problems we usually broil some chicken and rice and feed him that when he is sick.

That's what I've always heard too. So I guess if my dog ever does get sick, I'll have to learn how to buy and then cook chicken... eughh...

Just some advice from me...I've had a dog with gastrointestinal problems. $700 vet bill could have been avoided if I just called my breeder first.

Basically if your dog is still vomiting or crapping, you'll want to go a day without feeding her to let her clear out.

Then, you need to boil some rice and brown some ground beef and feed her that for a few days to let her stomach settle. It's gentler on her stomach than dog food will be right now. Then you can start weening her off of that and gradually mixing in her food.

Best of luck.

If that doesn't work, she might have a partial blockage because she swallowed something, which an X-Ray will find.
Yeah, there was at least one day we didn't feed her anything. She is getting rice and chicken through the prescription dog food called "EN" and on the can it says 'Gastroenteric' below the EN logo. It is a prescription only food that cannot be purchased OTC. Again, this is the only dog food she is getting is the prescription brand that was given by the vet.

A lot of vets are also conscious of what a person can afford to do. Some tend to take a 'lets try this first and do more expensive tests later' approach rather than burden someone with a bunch of expensive tests that they end up not really needing. Don't judge.
Exactly. The initial bill was well over $300 and that was a breaker alone. I know that money means nothing when it comes to a loved one, but I'm not the one paying (I'm literally so broke I can't afford bus fare right now) and I have very little say. In fact, on the second visit the vet let us off with a really decent bill considering the meds and additional prescription food. But if X-ray is the next step, it will be done.

Update on my dog. (sorry for all the posts in a row)

Took her to the vets again yesterday early morning. It seemed she was getting worse. Got a doctor who is apparently one of the owners of the clinic. He recommended putting her on IV fluid drip for 24 hours so left her in the care of the doctor and hospital. Called him today and he thinks she is getting better. He recommended getting her and bringing her home at this point and she's back, resting.

He thinks she has HGE (Hemorrhagic gastroenteritis). He said it has nothing to do with the chocolate or anything else she might have ate. He recommended moderate amounts of water and giving her the prescription or even her regular dog food. Asked the doctor about what dog food we should give her. He said Purina Pro Plan is good. I mentioned the Beneful thing to him and he told me that while it is cheaper, it isn't really all that bad and it's okay to give it to her but said if we want premium dog good, go the Pro Plan route.

So right now we'll just keep her under observation 24 hours a day as we've been doing. She seems a little bit better in that she can walk a bit more and her head movements okay. She was eating and drinking at the hospital which is good too.

Edit: Looked up HGE on Wikipedia and it sounds pretty much right what she has. According to the article, it starts with vomiting and then goes to bloody diarrhea which is what happened with her. The article also says treatment is usually intravenous fluid therapy which is what she just got.

Celegus

He thinks she has HGE (Hemorrhagic gastroenteritis). He said it has nothing to do with the chocolate or anything else she might have ate. He recommended moderate amounts of water and giving her the prescription or even her regular dog food. Asked the doctor about what dog food we should give her. He said Purina Pro Plan is good. I mentioned the Beneful thing to him and he told me that while it is cheaper, it isn't really all that bad and it's okay to give it to her but said if we want premium dog good, go the Pro Plan route.

So right now we'll just keep her under observation 24 hours a day as we've been doing. She seems a little bit better in that she can walk a bit more and her head movements okay. She was eating and drinking at the hospital which is good too.

Edit: Looked up HGE on Wikipedia and it sounds pretty much right what she has. According to the article, it starts with vomiting and then goes to bloody diarrhea which is what happened with her. The article also says treatment is usually intravenous fluid therapy which is what she just got.

I'm glad they figured out what the problem most likely was and hope it helps, but I can't believe a vet would say that about Beneful. Even without the countless customer testimonials, just look at the ingredients... you'd be better off feeding your dog garbage. The only protein in the first four ingredients is chicken by-product meal (which is even worse than it sounds), and the others are two corns and a wheat, both of which are cheap fillers with no nutrional value to a dog.

I'm glad they figured out what the problem most likely was and hope it helps, but I can't believe a vet would say that about Beneful. Even without the countless customer testimonials, just look at the ingredients... you'd be better off feeding your dog garbage. The only protein in the first four ingredients is chicken by-product meal (which is even worse than it sounds), and the others are two corns and a wheat, both of which are cheap fillers with no nutrional value to a dog.
Thank you.

As for the dog food, he recommended Purina Pro Plan for the more "high end" stuff so gonna get her that. She's still not doing that well. Very tired and constipated. Got some powdered Metimucil the vet recommended to help her have a bowel movement, which will hopefully be by today.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom