• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

DOJ’s Weissmann Joining Mueller’s Russia Investigation Team, Sources Say

Shard

XBLAnnoyance
https://www.bloomberg.com/politics/...ce-official-said-to-jump-to-russia-probe-team

ndrew Weissmann, head of the Justice Department’s fraud section, is joining special counsel Robert Mueller’s team of investigators probing possible collusion between the Trump campaign and Russia, according to people familiar with the matter.
Get the latest on global politics in your inbox, every day.
Get our newsletter daily.

Weissmann is the most senior government official to join Mueller, the former Federal Bureau of Investigation director who became special counsel on May 17, said two people, who asked not to be named discussing a personnel matter that hasn’t been made public. Mueller recently brought on Peter Carr, a veteran spokesman for the Justice Department, to deal with the news media. He also hired at least two lawyers from his former law firm, Wilmer Cutler Pickering Hale & Dorr LLP.

Weissmann’s specialties have included corporate fraud and foreign bribery. For two and half years, he has overseen investigations into Volkswagen AG over diesel-cheating, global banks over market manipulation and Brazil’s state-owned oil company Petrobras over corrupt payments.

Weissmann previously worked for Mueller as the FBI’s general counsel from 2011 to 2013. He also has experience with special investigations, having worked on and later managed the Enron task force during the George W. Bush administration.

Weissmann’s specialties have included corporate fraud and foreign bribery

S3Ot3hZ5bcy8o.webp

Looks like the rumors will prove true and they'll be pursuing the monetary angle after all. I wouldn't be surprised if we get more details about an FBI RICO case soon.

Enduin

No bald cap? Lies!
With our powers combined we can rid this world of the toxic orange ooze.

Treason, malfeasance, fraud, perjury and obstruction of Justice.

cameron

Weissmann previously worked for Mueller as the FBI’s general counsel from 2011 to 2013. He also has experience with special investigations, having worked on and later managed the Enron task force during the George W. Bush administration.
Mueller assembling his team.

Yoooo even if Trump was somehow innocent they are probably going to find other crimes

Especially financial ones. The dossier, which looks more accurate every day, mentions Trump being heavily involved in shady Chinese deals. It even tosses around the words "bribes" and "kickbacks."

jelly

I would love if he got impeached then straight after he still doesn't get to walk away as his business is carved open in the investigation. Cherry on top, Trump business crumbles, he has to sell Trump tower to pay his debts.

Derwind

If they made a new Team America movie staring Mueller's investigative team with Trump & Putin being the main villians and where Kim Jung Un makes a cameo.... I'd watch it.

DarthWoo

I'm glad Grandpa porked a Chinese Muslim
Yoooo even if Trump was somehow innocent they are probably going to find other crimes

At this point, even if everything involving Russia was wrong, haven't we reached the "coverup was worse than the crime" stage?

Comey is Coulson, Mueller is Fury, Weissman is.. Tony Stark? Idk, but the Avengers joke works for me. We've even got Comey's sacrifice to rally the heroes

Remind me again: could Cheeto Benito hypothetically get arrested despite being the president?

I think the concept is fuzzy. Likely not though some arguments have been made he can. The constitution is silent on this and basically all arguments are based on implications.

Only congress can remove him from office and thus take away his pardon power we he could use on himself anyway which means that pretty much impeachment and removal would be the only way to charge him.

Even if the smoke does lead to fire, what's to stop trump from pardoning himself and his team of everything and then resigning?

Top Bottom