• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Don Mattrick: "Fortunately" consumers without a connection can buy Xbox 360

Status
Not open for further replies.
Geoff Keighley had an interview with Don Mattrick (recorded pre conference) - here are some excerpts:

Keighley:"Did you know or did you anticipate the way the people would push back?"
Mattrick:"Absolutely - it's a super passionate community of people... till you use it [Xbox One] it's really hard to understand what all the advantages are."

Mattrick: "Xbox has been created by gamers for gamers."

Mattrick: "Fortunately we have a product for people who aren't able to get some form of connectivity, it's called xbox 360"

Mattrick: "The avarage internet connection is working the majority of the day - people are imagining that it isn't... It's change. There was a point in time when people would say all i want my phone to do is make a phonecall."

more can be found here: link

zX0TA.gif

Yawnier

Banned
Surprise, Surprise. It's Sony 2006 era all over again, some of these comments are almost on the same level of crap that Crazy Ken used to spout out its almost unreal to me.

Mattrick: "Fortunately we have a product for people who aren't able to get some form of connectivity, it's called xbox 360"

Lol, my favorite quote.

I'm was hoping Geoff would ride him harder during the interview, but I guess he used all of his energy on Reggie.

Drachma

Banned
"Created by gamers for gamers." eh?

So why is it those same gamers wanting to buy the console are going to be forced to pay a lot more for their console because of added tech (TV shit, Kinect) whose actually benefits to gaming is practically non-existent and that most are likely to not use at all?

Such horse shit.

BocoDragon

or, How I Learned to Stop Worrying and Realize This Assgrab is Delicious
"We know you'll really hate our brand new $500 product"

Marketing fail (and I mean marketing in terms of even designing the product, something that is suppose to serve the needs of the market).

"Fortunately we have a product for people who aren't able to get some form of connectivity, it's called xbox 360"

"Fortunately we have a product for people that can't get 2 jobs, it's called the PS2"

Was watching live when he said it. I did a triple-take. Not only is it tone-deaf, it also fails to understand or appreciate that scope of the problem or concern.

Dan

No longer boycotting the Wolfenstein franchise
Mattrick: "The avarage internet connection is working the majority of the day - people are imagining that it isn't... It's change. There was a point in time when people would say all i want my phone to do is make a phonecall."

People are happy to have additional features as long as the core functionality works well and how they expect it to work. When you sacrifice things within the core product, no matter what you add, people will be upset.

Mattrick:"Absolutely - it's a super passionate community of people... till you use it [Xbox One] it's really hard to understand what all the advantages are."

Mattrick, please tell me what the advantages are of not being able to give away a copy of a game I own unless someone's been on my friends list for 30 days. Or why I can't borrow games at all. I'm waiting.

That's fine, but tell us the advantages then. Show us.

Jason Rubin on Bonus Round Live summed it up perfectly when he agreed that the current model needs to change, but said Microsoft is doing it with a stick and without the carrot.

I expect Xbox One games to be cheaper than their PS4 counterparts as a result of the new model. If not, then epic fail.

lol pricing is already released

hint: they're the same price

Eusis

Is this for real?
Maybe they recognized there's a very high chance this won't be accepted (certainly doesn't look like it will be!), and so this is code for "look we know this probably won't work, so if it doesn't we're going to ride this gravy train as long as we can before throwing the towel in entirely."

hey peasants, if you want to play offline, there's always 360 lol.

I dont know why but I am really mad at this...I want a clarification.

Twitter campaign start: #Offline360

JABEE

The only people that don't like the Xbox One's online requirements according to Mattrick are people that live apart from society. You can hear the contempt he has for gamers.

The hubris is incredible to see here and the fall back to earth will be amazing to witness. It really does feel like we're witnessing Sony in 2006 again.

Kusagari

Isn't Mattrick saying you can't see the advantages until you own an Xbone the exact opposite of what MS said leading up to E3?

mr stroke

I think Microsoft is in for a rough 2014. Investors won't be happy at all.

I doubt it.

As long as this doesn't turn into a SimCity type server issue, MS should be fine for the first couple years. Too many good exclusives for the general dudebros(TitanFall, COD maps, BF4 Maps, Halo,etc.)

I bought an Xbox day one.
I bought an Xbox 360 day one.
I struggled through RROD bullshit to make 360 my main console from 2009-2012.

Even if I was always online? You don't talk to consumers like that.

Wait wait wait wait WAIT. Did he just imply or outright say that if you don't have on Internet connection, go fuck yourself if you want a new console????

Da fuq?

JABEE

it really rubs me the wrong way how geoff really goes in hard, raw, and completely without disregard for reggie's feelings as not only a businessman, but above all, a man, a hopeless, lost man. but mattrick gets off pretty easy.

I think it's because Reggie and him have a good rapport. I don't think Don Mattrick would be able to take the ribbing. He would probably end the interview. He gets upset about honest questions that people have for him, let alone the criticism Nintendo has to answer to.

d0nd

i think he meant:

Mattsuckadick: "yeah if your internet is less than working, please know you can't play the new hotness"

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom