• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Don Mattrick: "If you're backwards compatible, you're really backwards"

Yuterald

There's no excuse why digital games on PS4/XBOX One shouldn't carry over. Physical, fine, argue architecture/technicalities all you want, but digital content not carrying forward is big old pile of bullshit. What the fuck is the point of downloading stuff on these systems? I've been saying this for awhile now, but ever since last generation this industry has been cultivating a throwaway culture. These new "profile" systems are for people who just want to play the latest and greatest and move on. There's no interest in nurturing ANYTHING with these new systems. It's all one & done deals, throwaway content. It's games that are there for you to play the instant they're released, but if you're not there for the show, fuck off, be there for our next "box". They're essentially becoming rental systems.

DBT85

The stats are asking the wrong question. It's not what percent of gamers care about BC. They need to ask the question what percent of early adopters care about BC. What they need is early adopters.

both both of them have that data too. They will have known just how many people were playing old games on the PS3 and X360 around the launch window.

Only people they wouldn't have known about were people playing offline.

I guess I'd have to reluctantly agree with him. It's a nice feature to have for enthusiasts but even most of them would be player the newer games instead.

Empty

it's a bit of a shame. i owned a ps2 only, so one of the selling points for me for the 360 was getting to play a bunch of xbox one original games i missed. which included stuff like halo 1+2 which meant i bought halo 3 and then odst and reach.

it's not quite the same this gen for me as i own a 360 but my 360 is an old model and i constantly fear it will break, so one of the selling points i figured for the xbox one before it was announced was that i would be able to keep my collection of xbla and 360 games without worrying about that.

add on to that the ability to sell old systems to help pay for new ones and reduce clutter around the tv. i miss backwards compatibility :(

I do agree. The phrase is horrible, shades of 'rumble is a last gen feature', but BC isn't sooo important IMO.
Because the PS4 isn't backwards compatible, right? Just because you won't use it doesn't mean others won't, and calling potential customers "backwards" isn't a smart move. Say what you want about Nintendo for not having a proper account system, which they should, but at least your digital purchases will transfer over to the Wii U.

Aostia

El Capitan Todd
to me 12% of your customers is not so low to be bithced, first of all. Secondly, if at the end your console is not aimed at the top notch technology/graphic as they just said today, there is no excuse in ditching the BC into the console, because you already are backwards, imho.
I also don't like the fact that not only games, but also accessories and peripherals are not compatible.
I can save a lot of money in saving, let's say...the second/third pad from my existing Xbox360 and the headset and so on...

He needs to make a comment about it doesn't matter what price the console is in the USA coz Americans will buy it anyway, then we're in full 2006 bizzaro world.

tumblr_m3onuwIQPJ1qgrg12o1_250.gif

Then my money is going backwards into my wallet you smug fuck.

I'm disappointed about no BC but I can live with it. I think that Sony's "plan" won't work very well either and by the time it's implemented people won't care anymore.

dosh

I don't really care about backward compatibility (though I see how that can be an issue for people), but this... terrible phrasing. They keep on delivering don't they.

Alx

Well, I'm sure he's right about the 5%, and that it makes a lot of sense business-wise. But there are better ways to say it publicly, Don...

Data West

coaches in the WNBA
do you have faith the new xbox will have better build quality? its a wash IMO

keep your old system, as i said earlier

Old systems break. Old systems stop going into production. As systems became more advanced they become more likely to break down. With a 360 going out of production, the price goes up more and more every year.

V

Vilix

Unconfirmed Member
I don't really think you can expect consoles to be backwards compatible anymore. That was a short lived thing during the last couple gens.

Just keep your old systems around.

Anyways this is the least of Xbox One's problems.

What sucks though is that MS, as well as other companies, are making more difficult to keep old consoles to play older games. At some point in the coming years you won't be able to access the DLC you paid for on the 360. I assume next gen after x1 you won't be able to access any game, wether you still have the "shiny disk" or not.

Akira_83

Banned
i just popped in max payne 2 (xbox) into the 360. guess im a backwards caveman

considering max payne 2 can run on any PC thats not a toaster and look a million times better and is cheaper than dirt on steam... ya that does seem messed up to me

xbox version was compromised to hell from day 1

CaVaYeRo

The other day I was playing DKCR on Wii U, realized (again) how better it was vs 3DS version. I also used my SNES classic controller for playing Super Metroid. But yeah...

And we were complaining Wii U didn't rescale Wii to 720p...

Principate

Saint Titanfall
And who would be interested in an xbox 360 now that hasnt had the chance to buy one since 2005? cmon

Turn the head on the ps4 who would be interested in ps3 exclusives if they getting a ps4, plenty of people because Sony is still releasing things for the PS3, and has a decent amount of exclusives.

Poona

I remember there was a PS4 thread asking if BC was a big deal the majority of the thread said no...so seeing the results of some comments here lol

It stopped me from getting a ps4 at launch, and no bc has stopped me from getting a xbox one at launch as well.

It's like investing in entirely new platforms. If it was bc I could play my already owned titles and experience the new system at the same time. If it isn't bc I don't really have any reason to invest in the new systems, unless something comes out that really makes me want the system (and I don't mean car racer number 52 or call of duty 86 or halo 12, etc)

Arkos

Nose how to spell and rede to
This is what I say to all the assholes who complain that they can't listen to the White Album because they don't have a record player anymore. Get with the times people! It's called Kanye.

...wait, what?
Oh really?
Oh, you can?
And with movies too?
Wait, so you're telling me I can listen to the White Album AND watch the Wizard of Oz still?

Bullshit, no company would ever be that nice to its consumers

(says the gamer growing up in this gen)

Drencrom

considering max payne 2 can run on any PC thats not a toaster and look a million times better and is cheaper than dirt on steam... ya that does seem messed up to me

xbox version was compromised to hell from day 1

BC is a bad thing now?

There really is a defense force for anything

StuBurns

Banned
This is what I say to all the assholes who complain that they can't listen to the White Album because they don't have a record player anymore. Get with the times people! It's called Kanye.

...wait, what?
Oh really?
Oh, you can?
And with movies too?
Wait, so you're telling me I can listen to the White Album AND watch the Wizard of Oz still?

Bullshit, no company would ever be that nice to its consumers

(says the gamer growing up in this gen)
You have to buy a new version of the White Album though, you can't put the vinyl in your CD player.

jmdajr

I just think it sucks for XBLA/PSN games. I just feel it's different because they are strictly digital.

It's funny how being backwards compatible has kind of hurt Nintendo and Sony, in different ways.

For Nintendo it held back the hardware power, and for Sony it just made it cost prohibitive.

Sony has given it up but WiiU is still tied to the Broadway architecture.

I only use my PS3 for PS2 games anymore. But that's not the point. Parents like to hear that the money they spent last gen won't prove to have been for something that's suddenly vanished.

Stumpokapow

listen to the mad man
He said only 5% of customers play older games on a new videogame system anyway

Isn't it possible that backwards compatibility was not a big deal before now, but is a big deal now because more and more stuff is being purchased digitally and because Apple has trained people's expectations? I feel like doing a survey of how many people played Xbox OG games on Xbox 360 and using that as a go-forward decision making point is probably a little foolish

harSon

Banned
I guess the divergence is that Sony does have some plan for legacy content beyond the legacy box while MS at the moment has none.

I suppose. But it amounts to little more than Microsoft's "we have 15 exclusives in the pipeline that we'll be showing you later" position, but we take their word for it.

Top Bottom