• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Don Mattrick: "If you're backwards compatible, you're really backwards"

JAYSIMPLE

Banned
old 360 games is one thing....MAYBE, but what about downloaded titles through their service. THis next gen is just balls really, makes me want tablets to kill them.

Guess what, I bought some stuff and android 2 years ago, and ios and it all works on my new device.

Consoles are so archaic now. I have no interest.

R-User!

Going from 360 to 1 is backwards.

The "1" is a symbolic "middle finger!

From 360 to 1 is reductive.

Implying that their device would be the "one device you need for all your entertainment purposes" is completely arrogant and ignores the fact that their current system (XBOX 360) is still being sold and will likely still be sold for a time to consumers post XBOX ONE's release. And the fact that all of the investments that players bought (dl games) won't be transferable to their One system means that your investments didn't really matter to them.

What an arrogant name.

I hope they call their next system XBOX INFINITY to complete the arrogance circle (360). Get it?

But if they call it the XBOX ONE 2, then that's what it'll be... Shit, just like this One.

(Disclaimer) Unless they reverse many things expected at E3, then my opinion might change. But until then... 1=Urine...

Xbudz

7WpuR4k.jpg

Backwards Compatibity could be done like this.
Thank Giant Bomb for the idea.

Without bc, there is less financial encouragement for existing 360 owners to chose xb1 over ps4. None of their stuff is carrying over. Same goes for ps3 owners. This is the first time in a while that gamers are being forced out of their camps and will have to choose objectively.

MisterHero

I "Kinda" agree with him. Look at what nintendo did with the wii u. A Borked solution for CPU, simply to get the Backward compatibility working.
What about the digital future for all of the platform holders? If you buy something digitally, it should be yours indefinitely. Incompatible hardware is a big hurdle to that ideal. What happens after XBone's successor? Will you still be able to download/activate its software?

Brinbe

“If you’re backwards compatible, you’re really backwards".

That's such a face-punchable phrase, my god. Just holy crap.

7WpuR4k.jpg

Because putting an entire processor in an addon like that (cooling and all) is likely to be a real thing.

The closest we're likely to get is the rumored 360 "mini" which will still require space and an additional power plug/additional power brick sitting around.

Tabris

7WpuR4k.jpg

All jokes aside, I am fine with having to pay an extra fee for BC. I'm even fine with having to re-purchase games digitally (at a discounted price of course). The no option I'm not fine with. I don't have enough room in my entertainment stand for more than 1 MS console.

on one hand, Sony recognizes it as a fault and is trying to work through it with Gaikai.

on the other, MS insults gamers who like/want backwards compatibility.

what is happening?...

Without bc, there is less financial encouragement for existing 360 owners to chose xb1 over ps4. None of their stuff is carrying over. Same goes for ps3 owners. This is the first time in a while that gamers are being forced out of their camps and will have to choose objectively.

Yeah, this makes it really easy for me to go PS4 or PC only, despite having lots of XBLA and retail games for my 360.

on one hand, Sony recognizes it as a fault and is trying to work through it with Gaikai.

one the other, MS insults gamers who like/want backwards compatibility.

what is happening?...

It's weird for MS to be this arrogant considering the original Xbox lost them billions and the RROD fiasco. They haven't even been on top for that long like Sony was 10 years and Nintendo for 10 years.

Original Xbox:
MS wants to get their foot in the door. Loses tons of money acquiring studios, redesigning controllers, launching online system
Xbox 360:
MS launches early to get ahead. Console is the flakiest piece of shit imaginable. They add a ton of new social features like achievements that promote brand loyalty. They have XBLA pretty much legitimizing the indie game industry.
Xbone:
Now established, popular and profitable, they fuck over indie devs, and gamers, saying "Fuck you, pay me" over and over, every step of the way, and some people have the gall to say "wait and see" or "You don't know until you've tried it"

.GqueB.

Banned
Phrasing was off and completely condescending but I agree. The stock people here put into BC has always baffled me. It simply doesn't matter for most people so I'm glad they don't waste their time/money/resources on it.

Arkos

Nose how to spell and rede to
Man this is short sighted. The issue with taking a poll on people playing old games is they assume there will be new games to play.

The truth is it takes a while for enough games to come out to justify a new console purchase, but if you have BC, you can get those hardware purchases while they play games still coming out on 360. Instead of having them wait, and then potentially choose another system instead of yours.

They really need to think of install base for that first year. Get as many consoles into living rooms as possible and BC helps that.

Just look at PS2 for a perfect example where BC helped it after launch and for the first year (really before GT3 came out).

EDIT - Also you lose out on a huge list of potential software sales for those people who trade in their 360 for an XBOne. All of those digital games available to the 360 owners will now have a much lower base to sell to.

How have I never thought about this? I'd be so much more likely to buy one earlier if only to have a newer, less likely to break 360. And if that means that we have to sacrifice the levels of advancement between consoles to accommodate BC, that just means they could push a new console every five years instead of every 10!

It could also provide pressure for industry standards to normalize, thus making it easier to get higher quality experiences on all consoles! Even if you think it's bad for consumers, I wonder what the math is that makes it seem bad for them.

... I guess each console still thinks that their unique features will win every generation. Obviously that's not the case, since there are losers, and that seems like a pretty big risk to take, and to plan on continuing to take in the future. I feel like the way that "console wars" keep going not only loses companies money but also holds the art form or at least the market back

Fezan

seriously what is with xbox division

Cerny : backward compatibility is good but we have to make sacrifices for ease of developers
Matrik: If we had backward compatibility we would be retard

Because putting an entire processor in an addon like that (cooling and all) is likely to be a real thing.

The closest we're likely to get is the rumored 360 "mini" which will still require space and an additional power plug/additional power brick sitting around.

That's my bet as to what they're claiming will keep the system viable. We'll see it at E3, I'm thinking.

I get really tired of this attitude, maybe I want to play an older game sometimes? Nobody bitches out others if they want to watch a movie that is 10+ years old. Gaming still has some growing up to do...

Ushae

Banned
Yet Henshaw said this:

What a joke. MS is ALL OVER THE PLACE right now.

Only on GAF bro, only on GAF. This console will be a booming success regardless of our opinion.

And i have to agree with him, bc isn't a huge deal at all. The ones that do want it are a very vocal minority.

If u want ur older games working keep the older console.

Ty4on

He is very right though. It's why the WiiU (and possibly 3DS) have such expensive yet weak HW. BC was a great bonus in the PS2 because it used the PS1 CPU for something else in PS2 games and the Genesis used Master System HW for other stuff and was 100% compatible with Master System games except for the cart slot. You can actually see in this footage from Knuckles Chaotix the six red channels on top are Genesis, three green under that are Master System and the drums (samples) under that are from the 32X.

The PS3 and 360 are still quite expensive and power hungry to this day so it would be a mess to both engineers and our wallets.

Z_Y

To all the people claiming that all you need to do is keep your old systems....have you seen my living room lately?? Plus...things break. It'd be nice to have some comfort knowing that my new box can still play my extensive library of physical and digital games that i have accumulated over the last decade +.

So yea...I wanted BC. I was really hoping MS had a good solution so that Sony would go full steam in getting BC going via gakai somehow, someway. I think streaming is the most elegant solution to all of this. But now with no motivation...I doubt BC streaming ever becomes anything more than a glimmer of hope from the initial PS4 reveal. So sad...

depths20XX

I get really tired of this attitude, maybe I want to play an older game sometimes? Nobody bitches out others if they want to watch a movie that is 10+ years old. Gaming still has some growing up to do...

Why would you want to watch an old movie? There are new ones coming out :0

rpmurphy

To be honest the WiiU is held back by being Wii compatible. So he has a point.
And the PS4 is not being held back because they can provide BC (albeit not completely for this generation) in the cloud. His point is made based on narrow assumptions which can be made untrue, just by looking around at what others in the electronics industry are doing right now.

dorkimoe

Gold Member
I dont recall this much of an outlash at the ps4 for not being BC? But then again i dont think their exec made a stupid comment like this. They need to learn that sometimes saying nothing is better

FGMPR

Banned
To be honest the WiiU is held back by being Wii compatible. So he has a point.

Was the PS2 held back by PS1 compatibility? If not, does that mean he doesn't have a point?

As others have pointed out, the role of account bound software in Apple's iOS success simply cannot be understated. It gives the consumer piece of mind and alleviates the problem of the start of generation "reset button". As another poster also pointed out; it can even open the door to shorter generations, giving the console makers increased flexibility and decreasing the risk of new console failure.

If Mattrick truly believes that its no big deal, then clearly he is the one who is backwards.

Honestly, I never got the big deal about backwards compatibility.

For my 360, the only Xbox games I ever played on it were Halo 2(extensively until Halo 3 came out) and Halo: CE on the Xbox Originals Download. And even then combined it was maybe 40-50 hours.

Not a huge deal for me at all.

ramparter

Banned
BC is never a big deal but come on, all this over confident PR talking reminds of PS3 pre launch. Enjoy your poor start Microsoft.

Top Bottom