• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Donald J. Trump elected 45th President of the United States

Status
Not open for further replies.

akileese

can Trump actually get term limit restrictions passed? Bernie Sanders will be packing home if that's the case..

Congress would have to vote on term limits. Good luck with that one. The people who benefit most from unlimited term limits would have to literally vote against their own self interests to do so.

I don't think two terms is the answer unless you're going to double the term length which seems.....dangerous. If you were going to do term limits I feel like four would be the right number. That would give them an equal amount of time to work with the President and their staff.

mAcOdIn

The reason for the partisan divide resides in who is affected. Why do you think that Democrats are against it? Because this will prevent them from cheating? I mean, I guess that might seem plausible. But really if it's so easy to do, why wouldn't Republicans just fight fire with fire and cheat themselves?
To really drive that home, how do the Democrats lose if they are cheating? Especially at the local and State level. I mean, forget the Presidential Election, the amount of people you'd need to mobilize and the data you'd need is insane but locally it'd be much easier to cheat at a local level effectively and yet they have way, way, less State and local government control than the Republicans.

Besides, I'd say Republicans do cheat themselves in the opposite way by suppressing voters they don't want voting.

Really, with how low voter turnout is in this country already, frankly, I think anything that's meant to lower turnout at all to be disgusting. Unpatriotic. Should be criminal. If we had high voter turnout I'd be able to approach this a with a little less hostility but when we're around 50% voter turnout and you have one party wanting to lower it, through both Voter ID laws AND gutting voting centers in strategic locations I find it hard to not think of that party as evil.

Apathy

Well if the illegals weren't here and able to vote for her (which is ridiculous that you don't have to show proof of US citizenship in all states to vote)

...he would've had an even bigger edge in the popular vote.

Good damn, USA GAF should be ashamed that people this uneducated about their own country can vote.

Steel

Banned
Voting ID laws are different in each state actually and the Democrat party has fought against having proper ID every step of the way, even though all polls tell us the public supports it by a wide margin.

https://ballotpedia.org/Voter_identification_laws_by_state#Details_by_state

You're confused. Voter ID is day of identification. You cannot vote unless you regisiter your name to vote. You have to be a citizen to register your name to vote. This is why voter fraud is incredibly rare, like there are only about 10 a voting year and they really try to dig.

Downhome

That's not the norm? I recall obama saying he had a similar price point.

That's not true. He promised to take a 5% pay cut, but I don't remember if that ever ended up happening or not. He certainly accepted the salary though. Only three presidents have ever refused to pocket it.

I'm not even saying this as a knock against Obama.

http://www.pbs.org/newshour/rundown/obama-first-lady-pay-81000-in-taxes-on-436000-of-income/

The 45 pages of documentation, which also includes an Illinois state tax return, shows a presidential salary of about $395,000,

Downhome

Its been almost a week, and reading this title still depresses me :(

I voted for him and I have a weird feeling too, although obviously not depression. I sit back, and it's just so incredibly surreal that it actually happened. It still throws me for a loop every single time I hear someone say President-elect Trump or I see it in print.

mbpm1

I voted for him and I have a weird feeling too, although obviously not depression. I sit back, and it's just so incredibly surreal that it actually happened. It still throws me for a loop every single time I hear someone say President-elect Trump or I see it in print.
We'll have 4 years of weird memes to go with it

I just realized that there was one other time in American history where a demagogue made it to the presidency. This demagogue did have some relevant experience but it still went horribly. Funnily enough they ran on similar platforms, had similar tolerances of minorities, were similarly tempered, attached a similar voting base, and were both egotists.

Can anyone guess the name of this other demagogue?

Andrew -Mother Fucking Trail of Tears- Jackson

Ok just wanted to ask a question USgaf a lot of people assumed the people of USA would not vote trump but let me ask why would you not think they wouldn't vote him when they voted bush twice in a row especially after the major mess up with iraq on his 1st term. were his political rivals in the elections that terrible?

Now that Trump has been elected, is it okay to express opinions against Hillary or we still get banned for that?

I dare you.

Ok just wanted to ask a question USgaf a lot of people assumed the people of USA would not vote trump but let me ask why would you not think they wouldn't vote him when they voted bush twice in a row especially after the major mess up with iraq on his 1st term. were his political rivals in the elections that terrible?

It was always a possibility, but it felt like a real long shot, but apparently 60 millions people were totally OK with his disgusting campaign and rhetoric. It's more disappointing then anything, and a reminder that we're still fucked as a country..

Audioboxer

Frankie Boyle's American Election Autopsy

Recorded in front of a live audience at London's Asylum Chapel, Frankie Boyle, along with guests comics and experts, attempts to make sense of the US presidential election. Featuring stand-up, discussion and audience interaction.

Contains very strong language and adult humour.... \m/

http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/b083s663

One of Scotland's biggest comics takes on this. Sadly I don't know if VPNs work on BBC for America? :(

Miles X

Been a week and I'm still devastated about this.

I'm not even super left leaning or American/living in America.

I just can't imagine what some of you there are feeling right now.

A lot of people refuse to admit what America is capable of.

Opto

Banned
I don't know if this has been passed around, but holy shit at the lack of new business in rural America. It's a good read.

http://www.cracked.com/blog/6-reasons-trumps-rise-that-no-one-talks-about/

Rural america lashed back at Obama for the sole reason he had some progressive ideas after the horror show of the Bush administration. They voted in red legislatures because they figured in a recession you need to stop public spending, and that only gave them gerrymandered districts and slow recoveries.

They talk about bootstraps then cry fowl when the market doesn't give them factory jobs. They voted out the group that could have potentially helped them.

But by god, they never have to answer for themselves do they. Fighting to keep their right to discriminate against gay people and then wonder why so many people flee to the urban areas. I don't want them to suffer, I want to bring back an America of industry, but shit, they spout a lot about personal responsibility but hardly put the practice into the meta.

BocoDragon

or, How I Learned to Stop Worrying and Realize This Assgrab is Delicious
I was on a blog today and I came across a matter-of-fact statement that was simple and communicative:

"What we are left with now is the most right-wing US government in history"

Is this statement true? On the face of it, I'm inclined to agree. The alt-right are a kind of gleefully unashamed version of the right opposed to any niceties or conciliation, and they've been given prize positions within Trump's cabinet. This is far more extreme than the more conciliatory nature of most republican governments.

I'm curious to know how some Trump supporters would respond to this. Obviously, many would be proud that it is the most rightward government: that was their whole goal.

But there are Trump supporters (and I'm saying this because they're on my Facebook), who I'm sure didn't think of Trump as an enabler of right-wing ideologues, but as a comfortable celebrity presence "telling it like it is" and fighting the system. I don't think they voted with the conscience that they'd be enshrining a fringe version of far right wing ideology. I don't think that even entered their understanding.

Log4Girlz

I was on a blog today and I came across a matter-of-fact statement that was simple and communicative:

"What we are left with now is the most right-wing US government in history"

Is this statement true? On the face of it, I'm inclined to agree. The alt-right are a kind of gleefully unashamed version of the right opposed to any niceties or conciliation, and they've been given prize positions within Trump's cabinet. This is far more extreme than the more conciliatory nature of most republican governments.

I'm curious to know how some Trump supporters would respond to this. Obviously, many would be proud that it is the most rightward government: that was their whole goal.

But there are Trump supporters (and I'm saying this because they're on my Facebook), who I'm sure didn't think of Trump as an enabler of right-wing ideologues, but as a comfortable celebrity presence "telling it like it is" and fighting the system. I don't think they voted with the conscience that they'd be enshrining a fringe version of far right wing ideology. I don't think that even entered their understanding.

Depends on how you look at it. We were much more conservative in the beginning and allowed slavery.

BocoDragon

or, How I Learned to Stop Worrying and Realize This Assgrab is Delicious
Depends on how you look at it. We were much more conservative in the beginning and allowed slavery.

Very true. It is a hard thing to quantify because of that.

Maybe the question could be phrased as... is this the biggest governmental swing from the mainline opinion of a given age, toward a rightward direction?

Alt right and far right are the same fucking thing. I hate how we have to come up with new trendy phrases for the same thing.

However here's the deal... How many of you are willing to fight? If Trump goes through with his immigration proposals this can easily change to political dissidents as well if he does manage to create his own police force. (I know ICE exists but this could end up something else entirely) Which doesn't seem far off with his cabinet choices.

If we have detention camps for immigrants with women and children being raped and tortured by Trump's henchmen, will you fight?

No posting on the internet but how many of you have military training?

This place in an echo chamber, lots of people here couldnt fathom people agreeing with Trump because they have removed people who agree with Trump from their lives/banned them from this forum.

As a black man living in the deep south this shit isnt a surprise to me one bit. Id say i have no communication with about half of the people i grew up with because they are hardcore Fox News/Trump supporters.

StayDead

mmm. I'm getting real sick of seeing papers with Trump and Farage's faces all over the covers.

UK Papers and our already right wing government are lapping this up. It's it's exactly what they needed to get people to ignore the issues we've got in our own borders.

Peltz

During the campaign, Trump's detractors took him literally, but not seriously, while his supporters took him seriously, but not literally.

It truly is a mindfuck.

~Kinggi~

Banned
i think only now am i starting to feel slightly better. Just distracting myself with some game LPs. I haven posted in gaming section since this mess. i havent cared about anything else. I hope there are enough smart and good people in the world to keep the evil in check. Ill do my part and donate to causes and such. but for the sake of me not killing myself i just cant keep getting lost in the hole this is causing

i think only now am i starting to feel slightly better. Just distracting myself with some game LPs. I haven posted in gaming section since this mess. i havent cared about anything else. I hope there are enough smart and good people in the world to keep the evil in check. Ill do my part and donate to causes and such. but for the sake of me not killing myself i just cant keep getting lost in the hole this is causing

Maybe we (you) will have to wait and see what happens. People will go on the streets when he starts to fuck up – but what can you do beforehand? So far all he's done is bragging about his victory and choosing scary people for his cabinet. Doesn't mean everything is going down the shitter immediately (...please).

jelly

http://joshuafoust.com/this-is-not-normal/

We had this summary yet?

Using your Presidential transition website to promote your own business properties is not normal.
Calling for millions of federal employees to sign nondisclosure agreements apart from standard government forms is not normal.
Blasting journalists with product placements for the labels your child, who is on your transition team, is wearing is not normal.
Having a wide range of senior figures in your own political party distance themselves from your transition team, citing the profound irregularity of it and worrying about future ugliness, is not normal.
Placing your children in charge of your business empire, then placing them on your transition team, then seeking top secret security clearances for them, is not normal. The conflicts of interest that this represents are almost too many to count, but at a basic level: you do not give someone with a financial interest to work against U.S. policy access to sensitive information — at all, ever

More at the link

I wonder if the rest of the world will let this happen. History is repeating itself. No one can deny that stuff will get fucked up in 2017. Especially because of all the scum that Trump is surrounding himself with.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom