• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Donkey Kong Country Returns |OT| Retro Studios Has Done It Again!

ZCM3i.jpg

Welcome! Welcome to my first official thread on NeoGAF! (go easy on me) I really wanted to do this one as I adore the original trilogy, mainly the first two. So enjoy!

1622670-1.jpg

143765e.jpg

BananaBunch.png
Developer: Retro Studios
BananaBunch.png
Number of Players: 1 – 2
BananaBunch.png
Release date for USA: Nov 21st
BananaBunch.png
Release date for AUS: Dec 2nd
BananaBunch.png
Release date for EUR: Dec 3rd
BananaBunch.png
Release date for Japan: Dec 9th

• PRE-ORDER BONUSES:

BananaBunch.png
America: Pre-order from GameStop and get a free banana pouch for your wii-mote!
BananaBunch.png
Australia: Pre-order from Gametraders and you'll get a free Donkey Kong plush toy.
BananaBunch.png
UK: Pre-order from GAME and get a nice free Donkey Kong Country Returns T-shirt!

Its the return of Donkey Kong! Retro Studios faithfully restores everything that made the original series great, from barrel cannons to mine carts, and then builds on those elements with stunning graphics and new layers of depth to the world and gameplay. The game offers the traditional side scrolling experience everyone loved, but with levels created in fully rendered, layered environments. Players take control of Donkey Kong and Diddy Kong, with many traditional elements of the Donkey Kong Country series returning, including mine cart levels, swinging from vine to vine, collecting bananas, and the golden "KONG" letters. There will also be levels with the characters and foreground environments appearing as silhouettes.....spawning several new gameplay mechanics. The co-op mode enables players to simultaneously control one character each. If one player dies in co-op, he can be brought back by hitting a DK Barrel that floats into view, similar to New Super Mario Bros Wii (each player has two hearts each for co-op, and four hearts when you find Diddy and are playing solo). To avoid problems arising from differences in player skills, Diddy can hop on Donkey Kong’s back to take on a more passive role, while his jetpack can be used to make some of his partner's jumps easier. If one player leaves the screen for a few seconds they will be teleported back to the other player.

1624901-2.png

kalimba_thumb.jpg

BananaBunch.png
The Intro/Story

Controlled by a group of evil Tikis known as the Tiki Tak Tribe, the animals on Donkey Kong Island have raided Donkey Kong’s banana hoard and stolen his stash of bananas – and he understandably wants them back! Retro Studios brings Donkey Kong back in a new side scrolling adventure with familiar characters and new levels that reignite the passion players had for the Super NES original. With over an incredible 70 challenging levels, players will be visiting the Jungle, Beach, Ruins, Caves, Forest, Cliffs, a Factory and a Volcano whilst listening to re-mixes of classic Donkey Kong tracks plus several new ones by Kenji Yamamoto, who is best known for the Metroid Prime trilogy!

1624903-4.png

banana_thumb.jpg
bananabunch_thumb.jpg
bananacoin_thumb.jpg
puzzlepiece_thumb.jpg

BananaBunch.png
BananaBunch.png
barrel_thumb.jpg
dkbarrel_thumb.jpg
balloon_thumb.jpg
minecart_thumb.jpg
BananaBunch.png
BananaBunch.png

Pretty straight forward stuff here, but you might not know what a few of the new things are:

Banana Coins - Collect these so that you can use them in Cranky Kong's Shop!
Puzzle Pieces - Find these so you can unlock extra content- such as Dioramas!

1622693-5.jpg

Untitled_50--article_image.jpg
Untitled_51--article_image.jpg

First of all, no, you can not play as Diddy during single player, he will automatically jump on Donkey Kong's back when you find him. Only the second player when playing with someone else can be Diddy! And no you can not use the classic controller!

Your two options are the wii-mote+nunchuk combo or the wii-mote on its side. The motion controls are: Run and shake = roll/cartwheel. Standing still and shaking = ground pound/use the peanut popgun. Standing still and holding down = blow.

In addition to common series elements like secrets and unlockables, there will also be a time attack mode. Two animal buddies, Rambi and Squawks have been confirmed to appear in the game. You can ride Rambi, however, Squawks can only be bought from Cranky Kong and will 'squawk' when you are near a puzzle piece. The game will also utilise the Super Guide feature that has appeared in New Super Mario Bros Wii and Super Mario Galaxy 2. If the player loses eight lives in a single level, they’ll be given the option to allow Super Kong (a white Donkey Kong) to take over and complete the level for them. However, any collectibles obtained whilst Super Kong is playing will not be counted towards your total!

DKCRrolling.jpg

BananaBunch.png
Official Donkey Kong Country Returns Website! - A really good place to see all of the abilities. Also I'd recommend watching the GameSpot Video Preview under 'Trailers' for a really great explanation on the basics on how to play the game!

UPDATE!!!!! Hackers have now made it possible for you to use the classic controller and ditch the motion controls! This is fantastic news! For more information on how to do this please see post 2,238! A big thanks to Epmode for explaining it to us! :D

1622691-3.jpg

BananaBunch.png
BananaBunch.png
BananaBunch.png
dkanddiddy-dkcr.jpg
BananaBunch.png
BananaBunch.png
BananaBunch.png

gamraaaaaammmmmmmmbiii530.jpg
Dokey-Kong-Country-donkey-kong-1101019_392_400.jpg

Yep, it's back to basics folks! Other characters that are worth mentioning - Cranky Kong and the new Tiki enemies. Yes that's right, no more Kremlings anymore!

1624905-6.png

BananaBunch.png
E3 2010 Reveal Trailer
BananaBunch.png
Rambi Trailer
BananaBunch.png
B -Roll Trailer
BananaBunch.png
4th Trailer
BananaBunch.png

BananaBunch.png
Worlds 1 - 6 Trailer
BananaBunch.png
Eruption Trailer
BananaBunch.png
Euro Trailer
BananaBunch.png
Japan Trailer
BananaBunch.png

BananaBunch.png
Worlds 7-8 Trailer
BananaBunch.png
IGN Video Preview
BananaBunch.png
GameTrailers Video Preview
BananaBunch.png

BananaBunch.png
GameSpot Video Preview
BananaBunch.png
Game - play Video 1
BananaBunch.png
Game - play Video 2
BananaBunch.png

1622695-7.jpg

Just look how amazing this game looks! Technically, but more importantly, the art-style is such a massive triumph, and so is the variety and creativity!

10_09_22_13.jpg

10_10_28_03.jpg

10_10_28_02.jpg

10_10_28_05.jpg

10_10_28_09.jpg

1624906-7.png

BananaBunch.png
Destructoid...........................10/10
BananaBunch.png
Nintendo Life........................10/10
BananaBunch.png
GameXplain...........................5/5
BananaBunch.png
Cheat Code Central...............4.9/5
BananaBunch.png
Digital Chumps......................9.6/10
BananaBunch.png
NintendoWorldReport...........9.5/10
BananaBunch.png
Game Informer........................9.5
BananaBunch.png
GameFocus...........................9.3/10
BananaBunch.png
IGN........................................9/10
BananaBunch.png
GameTrailers........................9/10
BananaBunch.png
Eurogamer............................9/10
BananaBunch.png
Game Boyz............................9/10
BananaBunch.png
1UP.......................................A
BananaBunch.png
Gaming Age..........................A
BananaBunch.png
Game Revolution..................A-
BananaBunch.png
Giant Bomb...........................4/5
BananaBunch.png
GameSpot.............................8.5/10
BananaBunch.png
Nintendo Power.......................8.5
BananaBunch.png
EDGE.....................................7
BananaBunch.png
GameSpy..............................3.5/5

• GENERAL OPINION:

Besides some iffy motion controls, Retro Studios has truly made something special here! :D
Incredible level design, great graphics/music, fun game-play and spot on difficulty! Buy this!

• SPECIAL THANKS TO:

Chet Rippo for making the big main banner and Willy105 who provided the smaller banners!
And of course Retro Studios for making such an awesome game. You guys are fantastic! :D

Mael

Just thinking about it....wouldn't it be interesting to have info on how much space is needed to play the game?
I mean it's exactly related to DKC but say for Smash the save file is freaking huge....so

Great thread!

Ushojax

Should probably not trust the 7-11 security cameras quite so much
I can't wait! Retro have taken the skeleton of Country and covered it in the glorious flesh of Jungle Beat. What makes it even better is that the Kremlings are gone.

fabprems

10_10_28_03.jpg

I didn't notice at first the DK hommage in the background :D

I hope the game will deliver, as always with ♥♥ Retro Studios ♥♥

Edit :
Ushojax said:
I can't wait! Retro have taken the skeleton of Country and covered it in the glorious flesh of Jungle Beat.

This.

TheOddOne

fabprems said:

I hope the game will deliver, as always with ♥♥ Retro Studios ♥♥
I just noticed that too :lol

jns

Man, I'm super pumped for this. Does anyone know anything about the difficulty? I find alot of games this gen are much easier than the beautiful times of old and I'm really hoping for a bit of an ass kicking from this game.

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.
Banana Coins aren't new, they were introduced in DKC2.

Edit: Err, 'in', not 'with'.

Praise the lord that they only included the two best Kongs, it was starting to get a bit like Sonic with all the pointless characters. I will be pre-ordering :D

BGBW

Maturity, bitches.
fabprems said:
And not just any DK, but, everyone's favourite, Maths DK.

Credit to NinDB for the info.

Great OT looking forward to the game a lot!

still to bad that you can´t use a classic controller though.
but it played fine at gamescom with wiimote and nunchuck so I´m not worried but I would have liked it.

My God, I went Donkey Kong crazy yesterday. Picked up Mario Vs. DK and the Series 3 collectible figurine, played an hour of Jungle Beat on the Wii, played two hours of DKC.

I can't wait for this game to beat my ass into the ground.

Type_Raver

Just watched HALF of the Japanese trailer, only half because there were levels i havent seen before. I reaaaaaaaally, shouldn't have subscribed to this thread.... just.cant.resist!

Rezbit

PumpkinPie said:
Praise the lord that they only included the two best Kongs, it was starting to get a bit like Sonic with all the pointless characters. I will be pre-ordering :D

Hell yeah, no more shitty Dixie or Kiddy or Baby or whoever the fuck they were! Donkey and Diddy all the way.

jns said:
Man, I'm super pumped for this. Does anyone know anything about the difficulty? I find alot of games this gen are much easier than the beautiful times of old and I'm really hoping for a bit of an ass kicking from this game.

From all reports the game is hard as fuck.

jns

_Alkaline_ said:
From all reports the game is hard as fuck.
Awesome! It always felt good to finish these babies on the snes and I'm looking for that satisfaction again.

loosus

Banned
I don't mind the levels getting difficult, but I hope they're not too long. Going back and playing Donkey Kong Country 2, that's one of my biggest peeves. Some of the later ones are long enough that I don't have time to finish the levels sometimes. :lol I thought New Super Mario Bros. had good level lengths.

fisheyes

Tricky I Shadow said:
GOTY? Pffft, more like GOTG!

Coming up against the Galaxy twins and New SMB Wii? It would have to bloody good to pull that off. I would absolutely love for it to be that good, though.

Which reminds me that Galaxy 2 came out this year too. Maybe GOTY is not as clear as I thought. At the very least I can confidently say that, with platformers being my favourite genre, that the last few years have been the greatest years of gaming since the SNES days.

I was going to wait until Christmas for this but decided the wait would be torture so eagerly awaiting this shipping and hoping it arrives quickly!

Blueblur1

I'm really looking forward to this. DK and Sonic Colors have both taken me by surprise especially when I didn't think the Wii had any great games coming out this fall.

Pyrokai

This OP is excellent! My hype level just rose to astronomical levels!

I was also just thinking: I wonder what Rare thinks of this game. I wonder if they even remember what it's like to make a traditional platformer :p

<3 Rare

I've been playing through DKC2 with my girlfriend, and it has been a blast. That game is surprisingly challenging at times, too!

This game will make our christmas, so yeah, bring it on! :)

Hobbun

Getting really pumped for this. Especially like how co-op play sounds. Looking forward to playing many hours of this with my friends.

Top Bottom