• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Don't call it an acquisition: Kinda Funny joins Rooster Teeth's "Let's Play family"

Balb

Karu

Wouldn't the KFG Patreon be the one that dropped significantly though? Why did the standard KF Patreon fall by that much?
KF is inflated by Januaey, funding their animated series. Usually at aroumd 20k I believe. Nothing to see here.

Feorax

When did people expressing their dislike for a product, and their concern for any perceived connection to said product get reduced to "shit posting"? Did Gaf outlaw the use of vocabulary? What kind of baby talk is this? People posting their pro's and con's is simply discussion..

"Rooster Teeth sucks"

"Ugh, fuck RT"

"Better get those Pipboys ready!"

These offer absolutely nothing to the discussion and are prevalent in every RT thread.

There's no issue with people raising valid concerns, but if you read the thread, it's quite clear that a lot of posters aren't doing anything like that.

Ocelott

Patreon figures (27/03 | current)

Kinda Funny: $37,194.50 / month | $36,797 / month
Kinda Funny Games: $22,844.50 / month | $22,764 / month

So they're down by about $500 a month, $6,000 a year - within a day of the announcement. Feels like a backlash.

Wonder how much extra merchandise they'll need to sell to make that back?

They normally avg about 25-27k on KF Patreon. The reason is still that high is because of the drive they did for the animated show they did and a lot of people didn't change their pledges back.

Patreon figures (27/03 | current)

Kinda Funny: $37,194.50 / month | $36,797 / month
Kinda Funny Games: $22,844.50 / month | $22,764 / month

So they're down by about $500 a month, $6,000 a year - within a day of the announcement. Feels like a backlash.

Wonder how much extra merchandise they'll need to sell to make that back?

Yeah, this is a little misleading. They pushed for a huge January on patreon.com/kindafunny and ended up over $60k for that month, I believe. The falling off of the KF Proper Patreon is probably just people slowly reverting back to their original pledge amounts.

EDIT: A better statistic to track would be number of patrons, but I can't see that graphtreon link behind my work firewall.

D i Z

"Rooster Teeth sucks"

"Ugh, fuck RT"

"Better get those Pipboys ready!"

These offer absolutely nothing to the discussion and are prevalent in every RT thread.

There's no issue with people raising valid concerns, but if you read the thread, it's quite clear that a lot of posters aren't doing anything like that.

Calling these points shit posts isn't contributing anything of value either and completely attempts to invalidate the complaints, as one note as they are. At least they marginally have a point with their aggression. None of this is going to move the needle for anyone else, regardless. On topic, if KF manage to pull some serious funds with this collaboration, hopefully they will be able to rent some space to have a proper studio and explore some of that luscious VR tech that's about to drop.

Siege.exe

Yeah, this is a little misleading. They pushed for a huge January on patreon.com/kindafunny and ended up over $60k for that month, I believe. The falling off of the KF Proper Patreon is probably just people slowly reverting back to their original pledge amounts.

EDIT: A better statistic to track would be number of patrons, but I can't see that graphtreon link behind my work firewall.

The number of patrons from seems to be about the same as it was when the announcement was first made, so it's probably fair to assume the drop is from people lowering their pledges after the animated series push.

RyanW

As a Rooster Teeth fan it is a bit disappointing to see the hate for RT in almost every thread they're brought up in and mainly because of the Fallout 4 stuff. I don't like the Know, aside from which Funhaus does it, and the Patch. I can actually understand the dislike for that, but at this point it's almost become a grudge from a lot of people here.

So what does RT get out of this relationship?

It's easy to see what KF gets out of this (as they've explained it), but no business contract is made unless there is benefit to both parties.

I can't imagine a small cut of their store sales would be enough...

OTOH, frankly, RT looks like a bunch of people who will take cash from any gaming company to shill said game like so many other YTers and when you do that, along with appealing to the YT demo, those of us who have been around the Internet for a while tend to give it zero trust.

My main issue with RT is exactly what you stated. I'm not sure exactly when it happened, but when RT did the deal with Smite was when all this became clear. I was only consuming their Podcasts at the time of the deal they had with Smite, and they would talk about how they all loved playing Smite during the Podcasts. I didn't realize until months later that Smite was paying RT money for sponsorship. Once I realized that they were being paid to express how much they "loved" the game I almost immiedatly stopped consuming any of their content. I felt like they were being super shady about it, and never made it clear that they had a sponsorship deal.

Maybe it was my fault for not doing the research, or maybe its because I only consumed their podcast content, but it felt so slimy that I didn't want to support them anymore because I now had no idea what was actually true, and what was product placement or sponsorship.

So what does RT get out of this relationship?

It's easy to see what KF gets out of this (as they've explained it), but no business contract is made unless there is benefit to both parties.

I can't imagine a small cut of their store sales would be enough...

Rooster Teeth is an ad network like Machinima also right? So they'd be selling all the ads on the KF videos?

erragal

I wasn't complaining about our margins. I was complaining about taxation. Because it's theft.

Fuck taxes.

=)

Read Rousseau.

This is an embarrassingly undereducated statement to make and one which shows how little perspective you have on the world. The few people who have really thought about that philosophy properly and live on it do not run small businesses in major metropolitan areas supported by tens of thousands of municipal, state, and federal public services that operate to allow their cushy jobs to exist.

So embarrassing. And you're proud of your ignorance of the social contract as well.

Banned
Read Rousseau.

This is an embarrassingly undereducated statement to make and one which shows how little perspective you have on the world. The few people who have really thought about that philosophy properly and live on it do not run small businesses in major metropolitan areas supposed by tens of thousands of municipal, state, and federal public services that operate to allow their cushy jobs to exist.

So embarrassing. And you're proud of your ignorance of the social contract as well.
Can we not talk about political policies and beliefs in a thread about gaming and content creation? PM him if you got a problem with it.

erragal

Can we not talk about political policies and beliefs in a thread about gaming and content creation? PM him if you got a problem with it.

Thread is about his business. He brought it up unprovoked. He opened that can of worms himself. But, uh, thanks for the advice Mr. Moderator.

I want Colin to do a Politics focused YouTube show.

Especially as the election draws nearer, I think it would be really helpful to have an educated Republican voice his thoughts. Knowing Kinda Funny's audience leans younger, I think that show could be invaluable. Would love to watch it! The episode of a conversation with Colin that explains the electoral college did a better job than any teacher I ever had!

Hopefully this team-up gives KF more time to pursue passion projects (maybe something like this!)

Edit: Just saw Colin is in here: Boo Islanders! (Go Flyers!)

It is a guilty pleasure of mine to listen to arguments and ideas that I know I disagree with and probably won't change my mind on. I would like to listen to him talk about politics, just to point out how his republican views don't make much sense.

Also I need more Kevin in KF. Stop hiding the real gem of the show behind the camera.

Read Rousseau.

This is an embarrassingly undereducated statement to make and one which shows how little perspective you have on the world. The few people who have really thought about that philosophy properly and live on it do not run small businesses in major metropolitan areas supported by tens of thousands of municipal, state, and federal public services that operate to allow their cushy jobs to exist.

I'll have to afford him the principle of charity and maybe he means the way people are taxed currently is akin to theft. Not a general statement that taxation is theft. I hope.

Yep, because this

totally wasn't a comment that he was directly responding to. Totally unprovoked.

Look, someone says something that childish and ignorant while trying to defend their business decisions and it's hard to ignore, as has been reflected many times already in this thread.

See, the real reason why some developers and media personality have decided to shy away from gaf lately is because they can't help but repeatedly stick their foot in their mouth. Better to stay silent than speak up and lay bare your extreme ignorance.

Siege.exe

Look, someone says something that childish and ignorant while trying to defend their business decisions it's hard to ignore, as has been reflected many times already in this thread.

See, the real reason why some developers and media personality have decided to shy away from gaf lately is because they can't help but repeatedly stick their foot in their mouth. Better to stay silent than speak up and lay bare your extreme ignorance.

Can't put ya boy Colin M in a box. He doesn't shy away from speaking his mind, which is why I'm a fan of his. Don't have to love everything he says, but the personal attacks are just down right petty.

Look, someone says something that childish and ignorant while trying to defend their business decisions and it's hard to ignore, as has been reflected many times already in this thread.

Or better to stay silent then have to deal with ridiculous amounts of hate, criticism and people scrutinising every little thing you say as if they have nothing better to do. It gets tiring read it so I can only imagine how it must be for the content creators. Just see Total Biscuit's video a couple months back on why he backed away from Twitter. It's draining and I don't envy that position.

Banned
Thread is about his business. He brought it up unprovoked. He opened that can of worms himself. But, uh, thanks for the advice Mr. Moderator.
Yeah he made a quick quip about it and you were circling around like a hawk waiting for anything to pounce on.

Only in America, man.

Or better to stay silent then have to deal with ridiculous amounts of hate, criticism and people scrutinising every little fucking thing you say as if they have nothing better to do. It gets tiring read it so I can only imagine how it must be for the content creators. Just see Total Biscuit's video a couple months back on why he backed away from Twitter. It's draining and I don't envy that position.

See, this is something people in the twitter age seem to be having a hard time grasping. Anything you throw out into the public sphere is fair game for criticism. I could understand your position more if he said he didn't like corn flakes, but certain statements deserve a lot of backlash or you run the risk of said ignorance spreading.

Whether you like it or not, the words you say (or write) help define you. The more words you speak and the more public they are, the more they define you in the public sphere. If you grow tired of people attacking your favorite persona for things directly unrelated to their media schtick, find another person who can keep their mouth shut better or grow a thicker skin. Imagine how hard it is to be a fan of Bill Cosby's humor these days.

erragal

Yeah he made a quick quip about it and you were circling around like a hawk waiting for anything to pounce on.

Only in America, man.

This is really gonna blow your mind. I have never seen his content, have no idea who he is (some type of YouTube video game humorist based on context), and never consume YouTube content at all.

So uhh...circling. Sure. Or someone said something really foolish and I was the first person educated in social contract theory that decided to point it out.

That's what the internet is for!

Oblivion

Fetishing muscular manly men in skintight hosery
I'm always fascinated by these youtube channels that are of reasonable popularity, but are able to get people like Yoshida to interview..

KF has about 180k subscribers. A very respectable number, to be sure. But is that big enough to get high level gaming people to come to their show?

pelican

Time will how this works out, but my immediate reaction isn't particularly positive.

I've been feeling recently that KFG should reign things back e.g. the ego fluffing animated series and recent over exposure of Greg.

Internet popularity is a fickle beast.

Siege.exe

See, this is something people in the twitter age seem to be having a hard time grasping. Anything you throw out into the public sphere is fair game for criticism. I could understand your position more if he said he didn't like corn flakes, but certain statements deserve a lot of backlash or you run the risk of said ignorance spreading.

Whether you like it or not, the words you say (or write) help define you. The more words you speak and the more public they are, the more they define you in the public sphere. If you grow tired of people attacking your favorite persona for things directly unrelated to their media schtick, find another person who can keep their mouth shut better or grow a thicker skin. Imagine how hard it is to be a fan of Bill Cosby's humor these days.

You can rest assured that Colin will not keep his mouth shut, and that his skin is pretty damn thick considering all the flak he catches for his opinions. Again, if you don't like what he says and want to discuss why you think he's wrong, whatever, totally fair game. Likewise, the personal attacks are pretty unnecessary and are totally fair to call out.

I'm always fascinated by these youtube channels that are of reasonable popularity, but are able to get people like Yoshida to interview..

KF has about 180k subscribers. A very respectable number, to be sure. But is that big enough to get high level gaming people to come to their show?

You have to remember that they're all former IGN employees. They have a lot of connections, and more than a few of those high level gaming people are their friends who actually watch their content and/or listen to their podcasts, Shuhei Yoshida being one of them.

Achievement Hunter/Let's Play/Funhaus is pretty much the only gaming related YouTube content I watch on a regular basis. I love all their stuff and if they're adding Kinda Funny I'm sure it's a good decision and look forward to the content.

Don't really understand the overall Rooster Teeth hate. Didn't even understand the Fallout 4 drama either when it happened - it's not like AH/LP/RT are journalism sites. They're sponsored some of the time and don't do reviews - they just make gaming content. If it's not your speed that's one thing, but taking what a few people said one time and holding it against them over years of content is so...internet petty.

Zukkoyaki

It's because Greg and Colin have a legitimate friendship with Shu from their IGN days. They're also probably the most respected voices on the internet when it comes to all things PlayStation so Shu knows it's worth his time to speak with them.

bobawesome

Greg and Colin have had Yoshida on the Beyond podcast when they worked at IGN and have talked to him at events. It's not like they're starting from zero.

edit: And this is why you refresh the page before posting.

This is really gonna blow your mind. I have never seen his content, have no idea who he is (some type of YouTube video game humorist based on context), and never consume YouTube content at all.

So uhh...circling. Sure. Or someone said something really foolish and I was the first person educated in social contract theory that decided to point it out.

Why on Earth click on this thread then? It's about two YouTube content companies joining together.

Banned

Why are you in this thread then? To start shit? Lol.

Why on Earth click on this thread then? It's about two YouTube content companies joining together.
His political senses tingled.

You raise some valid points actually, and I agree with you. But generally speaking, (not that this is aimed specifically at you), but I find people using "freedom of criticism" as an excuse to nitpick at anything and anyone nowadays, where it can borderline personal attacks and criticism for the sake of it, rather than for it to be productive.

Well, firstly, you're wrong, he's not a video game humorist.

Secondly, if you don't really care, then why come? I'm sure you can take your meta political commentary elsewhere or start a thread about it rather than trying to inform people how uneducated they are in one of the most pretentious posts I've read on GAF. II'm sorry, but that's honestly how the post came across, even if you never meant it that way. I mean I don't necessarily disagree with most of what you said, but honestly, it wasn't really needed. Using the "internet" reason isn't a cop out or excuse to flash your knowledge about social contract theories or whatever to try and put people down in a condescending way when the thread isn't even about that.

Here's the difference - the guys at GB have decades of trust built up. You may disagree with their opinions, they may be misinformed about those opinions, or hell, they might be straight up biased against certain things, but we all know they come to those opinions, correct or incorrect from their heart, not their latest check.

OTOH, frankly, RT looks like a bunch of people who will take cash from any gaming company to shill said game like so many other YTers and when you do that, along with appealing to the YT demo, those of us who have been around the Internet for a while tend to give it zero trust.
RT has basically took a hard turn to a production company like 5 years ago. Which is why Fullscreen bought them and integrating them with thier other owned channels they feel match RT's fan base

Yeah, this explains a lot as reading a small snippet is dodgy in this case. Your advice to read Rousseau is really unrelated as his actual complaint revolves around how badly they were fucked over by the US tax system as a small business.

He actually accepts paying tax, he just feels that as a small business the taxation is done in a non productive way. The whole 'I'm the only person educated in social contract theory ' thing is unnecessary and a bit condescending as well. Even outside of that, the social contract isn't gospel - just one of many ideas about how a state should look. Rousseau is not the only social contract theorist - many would use Locke and Hobbes to show disagreement with your argument.

Oblivion

Fetishing muscular manly men in skintight hosery
You have to remember that they're all former IGN employees. They have a lot of connections, and more than a few of those high level gaming people are their friends who actually watch their content and/or listen to their podcasts, Shuhei Yoshida being one of them.

It's because Greg and Colin have a legitimate friendship with Shu from their IGN days. They're also probably the most respected voices on the internet when it comes to all things PlayStation so Shu knows it's worth his time to speak with them.

Greg and Colin have had Yoshida on the Beyond podcast when they worked at IGN and have talked to him at events. It's not like they're starting from zero.

edit: And this is why you refresh the page before posting.

Ohhh, I didn't realize this Greg is the same Greg from IGN. Makes way more sense.

Saintruski

Unconfirmed Member
rooster teeth getting lots of collabs, now with the creatures. or that might be an aquistion, im not sure what that one is.

Rated-G

Kinda Funny and The Creatures are just collabs, not full acquisitions like with Screw Attack and technically but not really Funhaus.

Top Bottom