• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Don't call it an acquisition: Kinda Funny joins Rooster Teeth's "Let's Play family"

notaxation

Neo Member
Rooster Teeth partnered with another mediocre group?

Must be a day ending in Y.

You must be fun at parties.

Guys just got done answering a few questions on C&G live and basically what I took from it was if I didn't like it then I wasn't a true "best friend" in the first place and to "fuck off" so I guess I will go ahead and do that.

That's pretty much a completely not what happened.

The person in question, as others in this thread pointed out, stated that we were basically lying to our audience about the implications of the deal. I told that person to fuck off. I will tell a person like that to fuck off 100 out of 100 times. It is what it is.

However nervous I might be about this, gotta remember Greg Miller has been doing killer work through and through. With games and with Batman V Superman stuff. He's a good guy, deceptively smart too, I'm happy for him getting whatever he wants, and if that isn't what I want from them, that's fine.

Greg is, indeed, our fearless leader. He knows what he's doing.

This is where crowdfunding got you, backers.

Our subscribers are getting exactly what they used to get, and we're looking to add even more value. I doubt many of them are upset, but that'll ultimately be up to them to decide.

SZips

I fail to see how this is in any way a bad thing. If anything, it sounds like it's simply more content for all parties involved.

The amount of weird "doom and gloom" over this from replies is honestly mind boggling.

You must be fun at parties.

That's pretty much a completely not what happened.

The person in question, as others in this thread pointed out, stated that we were basically lying to our audience about the implications of the deal. I told that person to fuck off. I will tell a person like that to fuck off 100 out of 100 times. It is what it is.

Greg is, indeed, our fearless leader. He knows what he's doing.

Our subscribers are getting exactly what they used to get, and we're looking to add even more value. I doubt many of them are upset, but that'll ultimately be up to them to decide.

You tell 'em Colin.

I fail to see how this is in any way a bad thing. If anything, it sounds like it's simply more content for all parties involved.

The amount of weird "doom and gloom" over this from replies is honestly mind boggling.

People think that in order for them to support something the creators can't make business decisions that will benefit them in the longterm, as though the creators weren't trying to make a living off of it. It's not "pure".

They've cultivated a tight-knit community. It's no surprise that personal life discussion will filter through –– especially when one's personal life affects their demeanour and contribution to the overall content. I think –– fundamentally –– people care and that's why they're interested. I hope that people don't discuss it in a pernicious way.

P.S Hala Madrid and although I'm nervous, I'm hoping Zidane's El Clasico debut results in a win!!

Yeah, I'm not saying that it shouldn't be discussed or something like that, but I was just wondering why people care about their personal life. They are gaming personalities, I like hearing their opinion about games and whatnot, who cares about their personal life.

And yes, I'm also very nervous and I'm glad to see another Madrid fan on this gaming forum ;) (I'm not that optimistic to be honest.)

Feorax

On a side note I don't know how people are being misinformed so badly - where the hell did they get an idea of an acquisition from?

Because in an RT thread, Gaffers have to post the absolute worst case scenario they can think of, even if it's utter bullshit and their own fabrication.

I'd like to say there was some ambiguity or something that could be read into, but there really wasn't. First page of this thread was particularly embarrassing for several members.

Care to explain why?

No one likes paying taxes, but saying it is theft seriously misses the mark. Without taxes things like roads, schools, emergency services and many, many other things would not be funded/exist. Also without these things our society probably would not have advanced to the point where careers like youtube personality/content creator are viable ways to make a living.

This topic is really not pertinent to the thread discussion so I'll just leave it at that.

I'm honestly surprised at some of the things some of the people here hate Rooster Teeth for.

The dislike of their humor and content makes sense to me, although the outrage seems a little overblown, as at this state it is unclear how this will affect Kinda funny in the long run. I can also understand the appeal of liking a media group that has a more intimate relationship with it's fans, and how that some people might feel threatened that it will go away with this new deal. However, I think that until you have evidence to suggest that the content will decrease in quality that it is important to be optimistic. The exposure from Rooster Teeth will most likely result in more viewers and patrons, potentially resulting in better content overall.

I think the people who are saying they "hate RT" or "avoid RT like the plague" are overreacting, especially over those who hate them for the Fallout 4 or Silent Hills incidents. Those were done by their video game podcast hosts from The Patch, and by the hosts of their video game news show, The Know. While these statement are cause for anger, swearing off the whole company as a result, especially when it was caused by a handful of people who aren't involved with Let's Play and therefore will have no impact on the content you currently enjoy, is ludacris.
I don't have any invested interest in RT. If this is the kind of stupidity and shilling they allow with their company, why would I watch more of their stuff?

As long as this doesn't change PS I Love You I am for it. I am all for KF growing and expanding! Hope this works out Colin #JackieT

Feorax

I don't have any invested interest in RT. If this is the kind of stupidity and shilling they allow with their company, why would I watch more of their stuff?

No-one is forcing you to watch anything. I get that not everyone will like RT, what they do or their content, and that's fine.

It's a problem when every thread results in shit posing assholes coming out of the woodwork to tell people how much they hate RT because of previous incidents that bear no correlation to the topic at hand.

I'm still struggle to enjoy GiantBomb after the way they were quite happy to bend over to MS and take all of their anti-consumer bullshit in their stride. I find them at times hypocritical and somewhat insufferable, but that's entirely my own problem. I wouldn't dream of going into every GB topic and railing against them, because to me that's really cuntish behaviour and unfair on the people who want to have a proper discussion of the topic at hand.

Unfortunately, this common courtesy doesn't apply to RT threads. Instead it's full of dickheads making fallout jokes thinking they're original and funny, or making sure everyone knows how they think RT are the scourge of the internet and need to fuck off ASAP. Again, shit that would absolutely not be tolerated in other threads.

I'm not asking anyone to enjoy or even try RT content, each to their own absolutely. I'm just asking nicely if GAF could not be cunts to the ones of us that might actually want to have a reasonable discussion about it.

Kuni

I'm a little concerned tbh. I love the Kinda Funny guys but as for RT there's a couple of incidents that are a little worrying for their integrity.

Top for me is when the chaps over at The Know swore blind that Microsoft had bought PT for billions and Kojima's game was coming exclusive to Xbox. They swore this for months, even after Spencer said no. This kind of stuff compared to Colin and Greg's integrity is like night and day for me.

Saying that I'll give it a go. As long as I get great content coming out of Kinda Funny I'll stat subscribed to then via patreon. All the best guys.

The hyperbole is hilarious. I enjoy Kinda Funny and subscribe on Patreon. I'm so happy for everyone at KF because in little over a year they've gone from being extremely nervous about leaving IGN and making Kinda Funny to having a company that's growing and partnering with another large company to make more content.

Congratulations Colin, Greg, Nick, Kevin, and Tim. You guys have worked your asses off and it's paying off.

Edit: People don't seem to understand that KF is still independent of Rooster Teeth. Their KF content is not going to change because of this.

Feorax

Wait...did Rooster Teeth trademark the phrase "Let's Play"?

What an odd name to give a label.

No. Geoff managed to snag the name "Let's Play" for a YouTube channel back in around 2010/2011 ish, before Let's Plays were actually a thing.

Remarkable stroke of luck.

No one likes paying taxes, but saying it is theft seriously misses the mark. Without taxes things like roads, schools, emergency services and many, many other things would not be funded/exist. Also without these things our society probably would not have advanced to the point where careers like youtube personality/content creator are viable ways to make a living.

This topic is really not pertinent to the thread discussion so I'll just leave it at that.

Oh lol I think I quoted the wrong post ha. Thanks anyway ha

PS I Love You is basically the only piece of Kinda Funny content I consume these days so as long as that doesn't change I don't give a shit what they do.

Good for them, if this will help grow their company.

James93

As long as it doesn't effect there podcast i don't care. The only good thing i've seen from RT is typically groups brought in, get to keep doing what they are doing. Inside gaming to Funhaus didn't really change.

sora87

PS I Love You is basically the only piece of Kinda Funny content I consume these days so as long as that doesn't change I don't give a shit what they do.

Thankfully I don't see any of the annoying funhaus or RT people crashing PS I Love You so that's good. Wish I was more confident with GoG Show and Gamescast though.

Zukkoyaki

I keep reading "RT" as "Rotten Tomatoes" haha

So long as the current main shows stick around, I don't see how this can result in anything but good. Best of luck KF!

Feorax

I'm glad to see Colin pop into this thread too. It's important that content creators keep in contact with their fans to make sure any issues and concerns can be dealt with and clarified ASAP.

That's one thing I'm disappointed about for RT is that they have no real presence on GAF. I know they have their own forums and everything, but this is the biggest gaming community in the Internet. It wouldn't kill them to say hi to any fans they have here every once in a while.

It would be nice if we could have a community thread for RT, but first of all it would be trolled to hell, and secondly I doubt we'd have any of the staff give enough of a shit to come visit, so it's a bit pointless really.

Pakesaker

I'm cautiously optimistic about this and take both Greg and Colin at their word. So far they have done nothing but provide great content at Kinda Funny. If either of you read this, ignore the hate on this forum and keep up the great work!

Anticol

Banned
Really? Did they just join them like that? I guess the money they were getting wasn't enough or maybe the awards Greg got weren't enough either.

I can't stand RT so I am out, good luck tho.

Rated-G

I think this is great news! As someone who has followed both Rooster Teeth and Kinda Funny since their inception, I feel like this is a relationship that will work well, as I've thoroughly enjoyed every collaboration the two have had so far.

RT gets so much flak on here based on a lot of drive by experiences as well as assumptions that the company isn't transparent or communicative to their fans and viewers, and it's unfortunate, especially to see that people are making snap judgements of Kinda Funny now because of it.

Basically after listening to the Game Over Greggy show with Mike Drucker where they talked about their experiences at Rooster Teeth, seeing this news made me very happy for Kinda Funny. I can't wait to see what comes of this.

Also, hi Colin. Go Islanders!

Trojan

Didn't realize that many people hated on Rooster Teeth. I think some of their crew can be annoying and they definitely get off topic, but I love some of the RT personalities and think they generally have great commentary on game news. "The Know" is one of the best produced gaming news segments out there.

Not sure if this is a good move for Kinda Funny, but I definitely don't think there's as much doom as gloom as I'm reading.

Spman2099

The only reason I am familiar with Rooster Teeth is due to that super uncomfortable incident where they criticized other reviewers for saying bad things about Fallout 4. So I don't necessarily think highly of them.

On the other hand, Kinda Funny seems pretty solid all around. Though I don't watch them regularly, I have caught a handful of shows. I hope they don't degrade as a result of this collaboration.

One thing is for sure... they better love the next Bethesda game.

D i Z

Didn't realize that many people hated on Rooster Teeth. I think some of their crew can be annoying and they definitely get off topic, but I love some of the RT personalities and think they generally have great commentary on game news. "The Know" is one of the best produced gaming news segments out there.

Not sure if this is a good move for Kinda Funny, but I definitely don't think there's as much doom as gloom as I'm reading.

Gonna be difficult to find much agreement on that one around here, chief.

Feorax

The Know is such a missed opportunity.

In theory, the format of in depth video reports based on daily gaming news, supplemented by a weekly gaming book-club and podcast should be a great thing.

Unfortunately, the fact that certain personalities involved simply can't get over their inherent biases and come across objectively means it struggles to fulfil it's potential.

No-one is forcing you to watch anything. I get that not everyone will like RT, what they do or their content, and that's fine.

It's a problem when every thread results in shit posing assholes coming out of the woodwork to tell people how much they hate RT because of previous incidents that bear no correlation to the topic at hand.

I'm still struggle to enjoy GiantBomb after the way they were quite happy to bend over to MS and take all of their anti-consumer bullshit in their stride. I find them at times hypocritical and somewhat insufferable, but that's entirely my own problem. I wouldn't dream of going into every GB topic and railing against them, because to me that's really cuntish behaviour and unfair on the people who want to have a proper discussion of the topic at hand.

Unfortunately, this common courtesy doesn't apply to RT threads. Instead it's full of dickheads making fallout jokes thinking they're original and funny, or making sure everyone knows how they think RT are the scourge of the internet and need to fuck off ASAP. Again, shit that would absolutely not be tolerated in other threads.

I'm not asking anyone to enjoy or even try RT content, each to their own absolutely. I'm just asking nicely if GAF could not be cunts to the ones of us that might actually want to have a reasonable discussion about it.

Here's the difference - the guys at GB have decades of trust built up. You may disagree with their opinions, they may be misinformed about those opinions, or hell, they might be straight up biased against certain things, but we all know they come to those opinions, correct or incorrect from their heart, not their latest check.

OTOH, frankly, RT looks like a bunch of people who will take cash from any gaming company to shill said game like so many other YTers and when you do that, along with appealing to the YT demo, those of us who have been around the Internet for a while tend to give it zero trust.

Wow very smart move. Kinda Funny will only exist if they have enough eyes on them to generate Patreon money so the more channels and outlets they can get themselves seen on is the quickest way to grow. Greg has been pushing for all the 'vote for your fav geek' awards lately to gain mindshare so it's great to see this was in the works at the same time.

kiguel182

Seriously lol. I have no idea what Rooster Teeth or Kind of Funny are but if this person is affiliated who gives a shit. Glad to have you as a citizen.

When I used to consume some of their content I found that ignoring Colin's political views was the best move.

He is interesting to listen to when it comes to video-games but more than that and yeah, no thanks.

SpotAnime

I wasn't complaining about our margins. I was complaining about taxation. Because it's theft.

Fuck taxes.

=)

I hear you. I know there are a lot of freelancers on Gaf, but for those who are gainfully employed, you don't realize how much taxes suck if you have your own business. Being employed by a company or through an agency means your taxes are lower, by nearly half. Otherwise you have to pay the self employment tax:

For self-employment income earned in 2013 and 2014, the self-employment tax rate is 15.3%. The rate consists of two parts: 12.4% for social security (old-age, survivors, and disability insurance) and 2.9% for Medicare (hospital insurance).

If KF partnered with RT for some tax benefit, that means more money they can reinvest in their work, or pay themselves. Plus maybe this deal gets them othwr benefits as well, such as a better group plan for health, disability, etc.

Yeah, the US government really goes out of its way to penalize the self employed. Which hurts the economy, because small business creates the most job growth. It just doesn't make sense to start your own company in this day and age. Now, you got me all political... ;)

It's weird I loved the guys when doing beyond on IGN (even though I hate IGN), but since going Indy I find them quite obnoxious.

Maybe they will transform again......

I'm just not a big fan in general. Colin tries too hard for me and Greg's humor doesn't appeal to me. Have tried to watch their YouTube stuff and it just never hit.

Demoskinos

Well as long as you guys still stay independent I'll keep giving you my money. I get the need to partner up to get more exposure but eh.... Rooster Teeth is among my least favorite of things on the internet.

Feorax

Here's the difference - the guys at GB have decades of trust built up. You may disagree with their opinions, they may be misinformed about those opinions, or hell, they might be straight up biased against certain things, but we all know they come to those opinions, correct or incorrect from their heart, not their latest check.

OTOH, frankly, RT looks like a bunch of people who will take cash from any gaming company to shill said game like so many other YTers and when you do that, along with appealing to the YT demo, those of us who have been around the Internet for a while tend to give it zero trust.

I have a problem with your opinion on any of that, but you didn't address my point.

Why is it not ok for me to discuss RT on GAF without having to wade through incessantly trolling? Why does not liking what I like give people the right to target threads and discussions with the sole purpose of disrupting said discussions, spreading false information and generally doing drive-by shitposts?

I'm asking seriously here. No one seems to be addressing this for me. What am I missing here?

Or am I just making people uncomfortable because I'm calling out that they're being jackasses and they're trying to ignore me because they have no response?

meanspartan

I was a little hesitant to hear about this, but if Colin is cool with it I am cool with it. He would be the last person to be ok with a "parent" company dictating what his company will do against his will lol.

I've been to Kinda Funny panels and I've been to RTX 4 times. This is dream news! Idk why people say Rooster Teeths image is tarnished... Burnie Burns is who I want to grow up to be.

Top Bottom