• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Don't call it an acquisition: Kinda Funny joins Rooster Teeth's "Let's Play family"

I want Colin to do a Politics focused YouTube show.

Especially as the election draws nearer, I think it would be really helpful to have an educated Republican voice his thoughts. Knowing Kinda Funny's audience leans younger, I think that show could be invaluable. Would love to watch it! The episode of a conversation with Colin that explains the electoral college did a better job than any teacher I ever had!

Hopefully this team-up gives KF more time to pursue passion projects (maybe something like this!)

Edit: Just saw Colin is in here: Boo Islanders! (Go Flyers!)

Coolluck

I've always thought that Kinda Funny's Let's Plays are some of their weakest content. Still I like both them and RT. Today's Drawful wasn't a good start, though. Doesn't really give people a chance to let their personalities shine through much with so many talking in quick bursts while Jack talks throughout.

Hopefully something like GMod: Murder will do a better job.

Especially as the election draws nearer, I think it would be really helpful to have an educated Republican voice his thoughts. Knowing Kinda Funny's audience leans younger, I think that show could be invaluable. Would love to watch it! The episode of a conversation with Colin that explains the electoral college did a better job than any teacher I ever had!

Hopefully this team-up gives KF more time to pursue passion projects (maybe something like this!)

Edit: Just saw Colin is in here: Boo Islanders! (Go Flyers!)

Yeah, Rooster Teeth has started making documentaries as well. And there are show that aren't comedies in production too. It seems like anythings possible.

I have a problem with your opinion on any of that, but you didn't address my point.

Why is it not ok for me to discuss RT on GAF without having to wade through incessantly trolling? Why does not liking what I like give people the right to target threads and discussions with the sole purpose of disrupting said discussions, spreading false information and generally doing drive-by shitposts?

I'm asking seriously here. No one seems to be addressing this for me. What am I missing here?

For the same reason nobody can bring up Skyrim without 20 posts about it being the worst game of all time or Polygon can't be brought up without somebody bringing up that silly pie chart in an oh so witty way. Because RT isn't popular here and RT doesn't involve themselves with this website. Making fun of RT is no different than say, making fun of Pewdiepie.

There is a real disconnect between what I'd call the 'website' nexus of hardcore gamers (ie. people who grew up and follow gaming news through IGN, Polygon, Gamespot, etc. including here) and a different group of hardcore gamers who have become gamers through YTers and the like.

Even if it were an aquisition, they got where they are today because of their backers abd their fanbase. Shouldnt this be celebrated?

Anothet Indy group is able to follow their dreams, and they get rewarded by being called 'sellouts'.

Feorax

For the same reason nobody can bring up Skyrim without 20 posts about it being the worst game of all time or Polygon can't be brought up without somebody bringing up that silly pie chart in an oh so witty way. Because RT isn't popular here and RT doesn't involve themselves with this website. Making fun of RT is no different than say, making fun of Pewdiepie.

And none of them matters are acceptable either.

I'm not arsed if people don't like RT, or Skyrim, or Polygon, and people should of course be able to voice their opinions, but if it gets to the point when thread after thread it's difficult to have a meaningful discussion then It pretty much defies the point of a forum.

sora87

Even if it were an aquisition, they got where they are today because of their backers abd their fanbase. Shouldnt this be celebrated?

Anothet Indy group is able to follow their dreams, and they get rewarded by being called 'sellouts'.

Not all of their fanbase like RT clearly.

And none of them matters are acceptable either.

I'm not arsed if people don't like RT, or Skyrim, or Polygon, and people should of course be able to voice their opinions, but if it gets to the point when thread after thread it's difficult to have a meaningful discussion then It pretty much defies the point of a forum.

I'm not saying it's right. I'm just explaining. I mean, for instance, unlike 80% of this forum, I don't think Arthur Gies isn't the worst person in the history of the games press. But, getting into arguments about it is pointless at this point because the die is cast, unfortunately.

Banned
I'm all for this. The team seemed to be overwhelmed with the smaller details of running the company like store purchases, merchandise, thank you cards, personalized videos for patron members, etc. They get the resources of rooster teeth for their smaller needs, while maintaining independence and freeing up time to create more content (like Tim doing a Nintendo podcast with me :p).

Everyone just calm down, change isn't always bad.

Rembrandt

Banned

There is a real disconnect between what I'd call the 'website' nexus of hardcore gamers (ie. people who grew up and follow gaming news through IGN, Polygon, Gamespot, etc. including here) and a different group of hardcore gamers who have become gamers through YTers and the like.

have you seen the way people flip-flop on DF here, too? we're all dumb as fuck.

This is naïve, because it assumes quality will at least stay at the same level.

There's a reason people in the UK wanted to keep Cadbury out of the hands of Kraft. And there's a reason why a lot of people no longer buy Cadbury 'chocolate' anymore.

Feorax

I'm not saying it's right. I'm just explaining. I mean, for instance, unlike 80% of this forum, I don't think Arthur Gies isn't the worst person in the history of the games press. But, getting into arguments about it is pointless at this point because the die is cast, unfortunately.

You're probably right, it's just a shame I guess. Ive always known GAF isn't the absolute perfect place for discourse, but I guess I still thought it was a little better than this.

D

Deleted member 471617

Unconfirmed Member
As long as Gamescast and P.S. I Love You stay as is, im good and will continue to watch both shows.

Eppy Thatcher

God's had his chance.
I feel like the only human here who can't stand FH. Like... at all.

Props to all involved though... they certainly are making their little content family grow with a quickness. As long as EasyAllies forever and ever stays the HELL away from all these people and continues to be the best damn group of people in the world ever and forever 100 years i'm ok with whatever they wanna do...

Off-Topic is also pretty good for a new RT show... I like to think that's Michaels little brain child/excuse to drink before 12.

As long as Rooster Teeth doesn't implant personality inhibiting nanochips, I'm fine with this. I'm a big fan of Greg, Colin, Tim and Nick, so as long as they are still their goofy, interesting selves I'll be happy.

Gonna be difficult to find much agreement on that one around here, chief.

I only heard of one particular thing from them that was not a great look in my opinion. They were the guys that went full force behind the rumor prior to E3 that Microsoft bought the rights to Silent Hills to the tune of billions. And when Adam Kovic visited Kinda Funny the week before The Game Awards and PSX 2015, he doubled down on the rumor. When he brought it up, he asked them if they remembered the "leak". For something to be considered a leak, it should be something that gains traction. The Know seemed to be the only ones that seemed to hear of the "leak" and only Shacknews and IGN reported on The Know's report. It did not gain traction, as it was a laughable rumor. When Adam visited Kinda Funny, he claimed that despite the E3 rumor not panning out, the "leak" was 100% real, but Microsoft realized that it would be better to simply sign Kojima as a free agent to make a Silent Hills-esque game rather than pay Konami for the Silent Hills IP. He said it would all be announced at The Game Awards. Despite that misstep, I can't bash them for one questionable thing, but it was weird how confident they were with the rumor, which turned out to be waaaaaaay off base, especially the Kojima bit.

Siege.exe

I only heard of one particular thing from them that was not a great look in my opinion. They were the guys that went full force behind the rumor prior to E3 that Microsoft bought the rights to Silent Hills to the tune of billions. And when Adam Kovic visited Kinda Funny the week before The Game Awards and PSX 2015, he doubled down on the rumor. When he brought it up, he asked them if they remembered the "leak". For something to be considered a leak, it should be something that gains traction. The Know seemed to be the only ones that seemed to hear of the "leak" and only Shacknews and IGN reported on The Know's report. It did not gain traction, as it was a laughable rumor. When Adam visited Kinda Funny, he claimed that despite the E3 rumor not panning out, the "leak" was 100% real, but Microsoft realized that it would be better to simply sign Kojima as a free agent to make a Silent Hills-esque game rather than pay Konami for the Silent Hills IP. He said it would all be announced at The Game Awards. Despite that misstep, I can't bash them for one questionable thing, but it was weird how confident they were with the rumor, which turned out to be waaaaaaay off base, especially the Kojima bit.

Doubling down on the Silent Hills thing is the only problem I ever had with those guys between the IGD days and now. It just wasn't a good look, and they'd have been better off if they dropped it after everyone had forgotten about it.

jbluzb

My negative impression of RT is because of funhaus, a series of sad shows.

However, happy kindda funny is growing and expanding. A fan of Tim.

ArmageddB

I was just thinking about this today and it was a mini revelation for myself. I've come up this gaming path starting with n64.com up to IGN and Kinda Funny. Meanwhile a whole other side/generation of gamers has been growing up on "the other side". I had no idea who Rooster Teeth was and it was kind of funny (shit, no pun intended) to discover how massive a gaming community they were. (though I'm not ready to concede that they are a REAL gaming community). It's like two worlds have collided and I'm going to break through to that "other side"

Aces&Eights

Blah. Never been a fan of RT. Oh well, I'll give them a shot but if KF ever does anything like the RT Fallout 4 thing, I'm out.

Mr. F

Banned
I'm just praying that this day never comes for Mega64.

Not to derail, but I'm surprised it hasn't already happened. I kind of fell off Mega64 4-5ish years ago and was surprised when checking back in how stagnant/slow their growth in viewership has been. And it sort of looks like their patreon is kind of tanking too, as they figure out new shows and formats? Unfortunate stuff.

Not to derail, but I'm surprised it hasn't already happened. I kind of fell off Mega64 4-5ish years ago and was surprised when checking back in how stagnant/slow their growth in viewership has been. And it sort of looks like their patreon is kind of tanking too, as they figure out new shows and formats? Unfortunate stuff.

i think a big issue is that they don't do enough of what made them popular outside of the really specific fanbase. Aka the 'games in real life' videos.

The dirty little secret is that $5k range is really the limit for popular video game patreons unless you're hopping on the back of the exposure from being part of a large site - doing a quick looksie at Patreon, the three video game Patreon's that still gross kind of ungodly numbers are Kinda Funny, The Comedy Button (and even they've dropped down to around 15k/month), and Easy Allies. What do those three groups have in common? They were all connected to two of the largest sites on the Internet and were well known to a much more casual audience of video game fan.

Spaghetti

Especially as the election draws nearer, I think it would be really helpful to have an educated Republican voice his thoughts.

I wasn't complaining about our margins. I was complaining about taxation. Because it's theft.
084.png

Anyway this partnership doesn't really surprise me. Kinda Funny are corporate and networked into games marketing as fuck, which is kinda Rooster Teeth's M.O too. Makes sense to pull together to make more $$$ and grow the beast.

Kthulhu

I don't have any invested interest in RT. If this is the kind of stupidity and shilling they allow with their company, why would I watch more of their stuff?

I understand your hatred of the Fallout 4 and Silent Hills incidents and I'm not going to defend RT for those, but the other arms of the company had jack shit to do with it. Not to mention that far worse shit has been done by older and more established games media companies. The Know (at least in my opinion) started out as an OK gaming news show with some OK pundits, but as time went on it has reached insane levels of click bait in addition to the incidents I mentioned before where I gave up on it.

The levels of shitposting and hyperbole in this thread is crazy, and I'm not just saying that as a fan of RT's content.

RedAssedApe

Banned
wow. didn't realize they made that much money just off patreon...and two separate ones to boot? i guess beyond had a much larger fanbase than i was aware of.

PS I Love You is basically the only piece of Kinda Funny content I consume these days so as long as that doesn't change I don't give a shit what they do.

Good for them, if this will help grow their company.

This is exactly how I feel. I find that Let's Plays uninspired and their other content to be pretty lowest common denominator. Their PlayStation podcast however is top notch stuff and that will never change, so I personally don't care about this change.

Wow there's a lot of hate for RT in here, and a lot of it seems without much elaboration. I'm not a fan of theirs (I don't dislike them either - I don't really care about them one way or another), but if their support is going to allow KF access to better resources and exposure, great.

Sure if KF starts to fundamentally shift under and due to RT's "partnership" then yeah, I'd be bummed, but I'm not going to condemn RT or KF until that actually happens.

Superb for KF guys that they get more access to viewers, technical help and all that jazz!

For the life of me I can't stand RT or Funhaus and will actively avoid any content they're involved in with KF, but I'm still glad that Colin, Greg and co can expand and maintain their independence.

That's most important to me as a "best friend".

eFKac

Well I'm almost only there for PS I Love You so it doesn't really concern me, and I understand the reasoning, but still a shame. The RT type of youtube entertainment is far from my taste.

Fret

Funhaus is owned fully by RT, but seems quite independent and is one of the best youtube channels ever, so honestly I doubt this will effect Kinda Funny at all

sjay1994

What happened to them? (I seriously haven't heard/seen anything Rooster Teeth related since around my 3rd years of college)

Three people called out Jeff Gerstman in their gaming news podcast for rating fallout 4 low just for attention, when they had done a partnered video with Bethesda and were wearing Fallout merchandise while criticizing Gerstman.

But there is no "tarnished image". A majority of their viewership doesn't care. Its just a vocal minority who think this a FineBros situation of tarnished image.

No one takes the know seriously. Except when they leaked Dark Souls 3.

PSOreo

I don't follow Kinda Funny Games but I'm very happy for them if this gives them a more secure future and viable store front for their fans. I find people tend to jump on the hate wagon straight away without looking into the deeper reasons why companies would do this. It's their jobs at the end of the day, hopefully this makes merch more of an income for them and the large audience RoosterTeeth has can only help them gain more fans. For instance I've never seen their content so this gives me a starting place to see what they are like. These groups we all love/hate will come and go (not for years obviously) and if this helps them be more sustainable and keep doing what they are doing then all power to them.

sora87

Funhaus is owned fully by RT, but seems quite independent and is one of the best youtube channels ever, so honestly I doubt this will effect Kinda Funny at all

You need to find some better youtube channels if you think that's the best ever

Doc_Drop

Holy hell I honestly don't quite understand why so many people are hating on Funhaus so much. I mean I understand some of their content is out there to grab views from a different kind of audience but their Dudesoup Podcast is legit discussion.

If something is not to your taste then that's fine but there is some nonsense shitposting going on seemingly just because people want to vent on it for no reason.

D i Z

When did people expressing their dislike for a product, and their concern for any perceived connection to said product get reduced to "shit posting"? Did Gaf outlaw the use of vocabulary? What kind of baby talk is this? People posting their pro's and con's is simply discussion..

Skidd

Holy hell I honestly don't quite understand why so many people are hating on Funhaus so much.
I hear ya brother. I mean I'm a fan but even I don't like all of their content, or rather it has become really stale (Lawrence and James Overwatch streams ftw) and yes the humour can be grating depending on the mood. But Jesus, certain people act as if Adam ran over their granny while doing his personal video blog thing.

there is some nonsense shitposting going on seemingly just because people want to vent on it for no reason.
Best way to just ignore it I suppose.

Top Bottom