• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Don't change your Amazon UK Switch pre-order delivery option

kitsuneyo

UPDATE - Amazon reinstated my 4th March delivery date

---

Despite not being that impressed with the price or launch line-up, I pre-ordered a Switch on Amazon UK. I got the Wii and Wii U at launch and I'm a Nintendo fan, so I thought I might as well stick my name on one.

I ordered on the morning of 13 Jan, chose free delivery, and got an estimated date of 4 March, one day after launch. So I figured I had one from the first allocation.

A few days later, I decided to change my delivery option to expedited so I'd get it on launch day. After I made that change, my delivery date was basically 'TBC' for a week or so. So I decided to use the customer service chat to find out what was going on.

oGE0APE.jpg

Amazon told me that updating my delivery option had also updated the order, and I'd lost my launch Switch. Eventually they offered me £5.

So if you have a launch-day pre-order with Amazon and you cheaped out on shipping, don't be tempted to upgrade!

L~A

Yeah, happened to me once with The Legend of Zelda: Ocarina of Time 3D. Not really specific to the Switch, but it's good to know.

kitsuneyo

This is unfortunately always the case with Amazon orders, updating it any way pushes you to the back of the line.

Well, the customer service guy told me it shouldn't have happened and it's not supposed to work this way. It seems really dumb to penalise people for upgrading shipping.

LotusHD

Banned
Happened to me with FFXV. Learned my lesson, if that can get affected, then I'm sure as hell not touching my Switch pre-order in any way.

oti

Banned
Amazon DE has a huge warning on their Switch page saying this.

Hinweis:
Bitte achten Sie bei Ihrer Vorbestellung darauf, Ihre korrekte Lieferadresse und Zahlungsart anzugeben. Aufgrund der Limitierung des Artikels kann der Versand zum Erscheinungstermin bei einer nachträglichen Änderung der Daten nicht garantiert werden. Weitere Nintendo Switch Produkte.

Robin64

I know the Amazon guy claims this isn't how it should work, but it's always worked this way in my experience. He was either bullshitting you or just ignorant to how the company he works for does things.

Despite not being that impressed with the price or launch line-up, I pre-ordered a Switch on Amazon UK. I got the Wii and Wii U at launch and I'm a Nintendo fan, so I thought I might as well stick my name on one.

I ordered on the morning of 13 Jan, chose free delivery, and got an estimated date of 4 March, one day after launch. So I figured I had one from the first allocation.

A few days later, I decided to change my delivery option to expedited so I'd get it on launch day. After I made that change, my delivery date was basically 'TBC' for a week or so. So I decided to use the customer service chat to find out what was going on.

Amazon told me that updating my delivery option had also updated the order, and I'd lost my launch Switch. Eventually they offered me £5.

So if you have a launch-day pre-order with Amazon and you cheaped out on shipping, don't be tempted to upgrade!

Yep Amazon kinda suck when it comes to things like this, the only alteration you can do is pay the order upfront with gift vouchers, but any other changes, even shipping address will drop it to the back of the queue. Even when you are still months away from launch.

Things like this are why for any new hardware preorder, I'll always place a separate order for it as any slight deviation to one item in a group order can push everything back to an unspecified delivery date. It's a really poor customer experience that I'm surprised Amazon have yet to address.

And yes, never change anything related to a preorder for a high demand item unless you absolutely have to, and even then, make sure a customer service rep does it for you over the phone.

LotusHD

Banned
Things like this are why for any new hardware preorder, I'll always place a separate order for it as any slight deviation to one item in a group order can push everything back to an unspecified delivery date. It's a really poor customer experience that I'm surprised Amazon have yet to address.

And yes, never change anything related to a preorder for a high demand item unless you absolutely have to, and even then, make sure a customer service rep does it for you over the phone.

Yup, placed a separate order just in case, didn't even pair it up with any games or anything. Want absolutely nothing to go wrong lol

Seijuro

When placing my order Amazon.de had a warning in place that adressed exactly your problem.

Edit: Beaten

LotusHD

Banned
Amazon should clearly warn people if this is really the way it works.

Yea like I changed the address to make sure it was fine, but because I paid for the entire thing through a gift card, shit just hit the fan for whatever reason. Had to call a rep to rectify the issue and still allow me to get the game on release day by paying for 1-day shipping or w/e... despite me being a Prime member. So dumb lol

I need to learn how to be more demanding, because I hear that at the very least, Amazon can be gracious when they fuck you over, but they never give me shit.

SalvaPot

Wow OP, you got a whole 5 lunar bucks!

Their service can suck so much. What I usually do when I am not sure about the payment method or address is put the purchase on a card without funds. When they are ready to ship they usually try to charge it, but fail, so they send me an e-mail to fix. I then contact support, give them the new payment info and address if needed, they do it at the moment.

No problems so far.

K' Dash

I used a gift card to pay for my Switch yesterday and the CS representative urged me to contact them if I needed to change anything else, so they could do it for me.

This happened when I changed payment details for Amazon US for the PS4. My wife is amazing and got on the blower to amazon and they corrected their mistake for a release day delivery :) Also walmart cancelled my console but not the bundled camera and game so I got those for free haha (I ordered a bundle as a back up)

PSFan

Doesn't Amazon UK have Prime with release day shipping? In NA, Prime gives you free 2nd day shipping and for preorders they ship so that your items arrive on launch day.

I paid £50 towards my pre order with a gift card and was also shafted. Right to the back of the queue.

I've made a pre order with Nintendo directly and I'm just going to cancel the Amazon one. It's pretty ridiculous tbh.

LotusHD

Banned
I used a gift card to pay for my Switch yesterday and the CS representative urged me to contact them if I needed to change anything else, so they could do it for me.

Yea, you definitely want to do that. They know what's up.

I paid £50 towards my pre order and was also shafted. Right to the back of the queue.

I've made a pre order with Nintendo directly and I'm just going to cancel the Amazon one. It's pretty ridiculous tbh.

So wait, you lost money over this? Jesus...

I did that on Amazon about 6 months ago when ordering a smartphone.

Instead of causing problems with my order, they sent me two phones instead!

LotusHD

Banned
I can sort of see why they do this, but it's beyond me why they don't warn you first.

Yea same, because on the other end, someone has to go and update all that stuff. So the closer you do it to release, the more strenuous things likely become. And then when it's something that everyone wants like a new console, you are pretty much fucked.

But yea, a warning would be nice...

Apparently the value will go back on the card when I cancel. I'm not out of pocket, but it means I'll have to wait for something else later on to use the card on.

Oh okay, not a complete loss, but still shitty.

Mandelbo

That's pretty terrible - my amazon order says it'll arrive on the 4th, but I'm honestly not all that fussed about it so long as it arrives at all. I'm still kinda hoping that it'll somehow arrive on the 3rd though!

Vhalyar

Well, the customer service guy told me it shouldn't have happened and it's not supposed to work this way. It seems really dumb to penalise people for upgrading shipping.

That's surprising (what the customer service guy said) because I remember people have that exact problem with every single console launch.

NEO0MJ

Same thing happened to me with Amazon US, though in my case it seems I'll still get it but later and I didn't contact them about it. Wonder if it will help.

This thread reminded me to change the delivery address on the Switch games I pre-ordered. Now I'm glad I went ahead and did store pick-up on my Best Buy pre-order for the Switch. I'm curious if whether or not there is enough quantity for the launch games that changing my address will delay delivery.

jxN3

Guessing this only has to do with changing the shipping method? I changed the shipping address on my botw masters edition, and my march 3rd delivery is still in tact.

Guessing this only has to do with changing the shipping method? I changed the shipping address on my botw masters edition, and my march 3rd delivery is still in tact.

AFAIK, changing anything on your order essentially cancels your original order, and makes a new one with the amendments. If the item is still in stock, that's fine. The problem arises when they run out, as you then get put to the back of the queue regardless of when you made the initial order.

I mean, no sane human would assume it would be supposed to work this way, but unfortunately, it's been the case for as long as I remember.

JnFnRu

Oh em gee. I did that without realising weeks ago and wondered why it doesn't give me a new shipping date.

What shall I do :(? When will they deliver now that im back of the queue and missed my launch switch? Should i just order from Argos instead?

also expedited delivery on pre orders usually come after the launch date. i have seen and heard from people saying this. the free delivery is launch date almost guaranteed.

Yep Amazon kinda suck when it comes to things like this, the only alteration you can do is pay the order upfront with gift vouchers, but any other changes, even shipping address will drop it to the back of the queue. Even when you are still months away from launch.

Nope don't do this either. I added £100 gift card to my order and the ship date slipped 3rd to the 9th. Amazon rep said ANY change shifts it to the back of the queue.

jxN3

AFAIK, changing anything on your order essentially cancels your original order, and makes a new one with the amendments. If the item is still in stock, that's fine. The problem arises when they run out, as you then get put to the back of the queue regardless of when you made the initial order.
Interesting, now I'm fearful of my order lol. I changed it a week after the initial order, definitely none in stock. Crossing my fingers that the march 3rd date will stick.

Wil348

I re-ordered mine from Amazon France yesterday, they were listed as available and it says delivery on March 3rd, but I'm worried this isn't the case. Am I safe or should I have kept my original pre order?

I can confirm Amazon.ca does this as well. I've had multiple game estimated delivery dates magically slip from release day to a week later as soon as payment method or address is changed.

Now in fairness, most times the dates ended up fixing themselves in time and the games arrived on release day or one day late. However this is after bitching on the support chat, I don't know if they fixed because of my bitching or coincidence.

Top Bottom