• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Don't expect Dying Light reviews till release date or later

so what youtube preview do you guys recommend to watch

Any that you want. If they have the game pre-release, they are all signing the same agreements presumably. Just be aware. If something is seeming a little iffy (or you just generally want to be wise with your money) wait until launch and see what the word of mouth is combined with reviews.

Techlands last game Call of Juarez: Gunslinger was actually very slick and polished (not to mention loads of fun).

I'm not saying pre-order (I won't be!), just pointing out that they are capable of putting out good games that work well.

Techland is one of the most hit-or-miss developers in the industry. When they're firing on all cylinders, you get great stuff like the original Dead Island (or portions of it, at least), and Gunslinger. When they're not, you get Dead Island: Riptide. Or Call of Juarez: The Cartel.

Not exactly the team that I'm going to take on faith.

Dying Light looks good. But if WB Games felt the same way, we'd be seeing review copies sent out by now.

Big_Al

Unconfirmed Member
Techland is one of the most hit-or-miss developers in the industry. When they're firing on all cylinders, you get great stuff like the original Dead Island (or portions of it, at least), and Gunslinger. When they're not, you get Dead Island: Riptide. Or Call of Juarez: The Cartel.

Dying Light looks good. But if WB Games felt the same way, we'd be seeing review copies sent out by now.

There was nothing wrong with Riptide IMO, great game. The Cartel was shit but it's the only game of theres I would call outright bad.

Amir0x

Banned
Oh ok, guess I'm not buying Dyling Light.

Won't support companies shitty embargo practices that are set up to be later than release date.

MrxDemix

Banned
It pains me to think of how many people will blindly pre-order this and possibly end up in a bad circumstance... after the 20+ "STOP PRE-ORDERING GAMES" articles this year.

Tigress

3 reasons to boycott this game :

- release day embargo
- mp lock behind pre order
- disgusting pre order incentive, locking away content if you pre order later

This and the fact the game suffers from HEAVY clipping and pop in very close up to the player in every recent gameplay video... This isn't looking too good at all

Not only that, allowing those who pre order to mess with your game while you cannot do so in vice versa if you didn't pre order.

That alone I find really offensive. It's one thing to give them extra content, that really doesn't piss me off. But pretty much making it a one way street for them to hassle you but you cannot in return... it just seems like they want the non pre orders to get trolled and feel helpless (those who did not pre order can be invaded but they cannot invade games).

Not only that, allowing those who pre order to mess with your game while you cannot do so in vice versa if you didn't pre order.

That alone I find really offensive. It's one thing to give them extra content, that really doesn't piss me off. But pretty much making it a one way street for them to hassle you but you cannot in return... it just seems like they want the non pre orders to get trolled and feel helpless (those who did not pre order can be invaded but they cannot invade games).

You can turn off the option of getting invaded.

Mononoke

Banned
So don't buy it until I know exactly how bad it is.
Got it.

Yep. After Halo MCC and Unity I'll never pre-order or pre-load again. Also any game that has embargos up to the day of the release, or won't send out review copies, I'm going to be less likely to even consider their release the first month it's out. Nope.

Even if a game got 7/10 reviews. Just giving reviewers the time to review it, and access it, I would give the game a shot. But if they are trying to do everything in their power to hide the game, that does not instill confidence. I'm going to be very skeptical about the game.

kpaadet

Oh ok, guess I'm not buying Dyling Light.

Won't support companies shitty embargo practices that are set up to be later than release date.
You can't set an embargo date to after it releases. If that was the case I could see plenty of games having a permanent embargo on their game :)

jpax

Well, maybe they messed up the review copies. Technically they are not pre-ordered and thus have no invasions and you cannot give reviewers an incomplete product! For customers it is different however...

kpaadet

Nothing, as long as they didn't accept an early review code and agree to the embargo.
Okay so I guess its possible to delay embargo until after release, don't know why any reviewer would be stupid enough to accept those terms, but hey, we have to get those clicks amirite? Sigh.

Okay so I guess its possible to delay embargo until after release, don't know why any reviewer would be stupid enough to accept those terms, but hey, we have to get those clicks amirite? Sigh.

It happened with Unity last November. Thankfully, the uproar within the community was loud enough that some sites, like Kotaku, have gone on the record saying they'll never accept terms like that again.

Mononoke

Banned
Whats to stop the reviewer from buying the game themselves and posting a review of said copy?

As long as they aren't posting a review from a review copy, they can't stop anyone from buying it and reviewing it. Review copies require them to adhere to the stipulations set, or they are in violation.

So they can and have done release day embargoes. Pretty much people buy the game before a single review can go up. It's a fucked up practice.

Rndm

Seems like a great new tactic the use here, that has been used before, but did not get too much attention.

Way before the game is out talk about how you won't have an embargo for the game, that is good press. then when you get close to the release of the game that has no review embargo, do not send out review copies. Because: No review copies = No reviews. Brilliant. Some might get an early copy from a store that breaks the street date and review that (videogamer likes to do this anyway), but many won't. Who knows why they do it like this, but one thing is certain, WB and Techland are a bunch of sneaky bastards.

Also:
I believe this is the first review of the game.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3YSUEWUrZlI

That was awesome. Had to sub that guy. Other videos are great too, like the RE Remake Remastered video.

Liamario

Banned
In these situations, give the game a default score of 5/10 and make it policy. Have a disclaimer on the site that the score is subject to change pending a full review. You need to treat the publisher with the same contempt they've shown the consumer.

Co-op is in as far as i know, only that "Be a Zombie" is DLC.

From the Game Info Page

"CO-OP MODE FOR 4 PLAYERS
Cooperate with other players in the extreme conditions of a zombie apocalypse. Show your individuality and customize your character."

I did enjoy the first Dead Island, but I played it a couple of years after launch and as I understand, it was very different to its launch state after a series of patches. If I were ever going to get Dying Light I'd probably wait until it were cheap, as I'm not particularly interested in more zombie games and I'm honestly more intrigued by the parkour aspect of it.

scarlet

The first part of Dead Island, the resort one was amazing. But the rest of it was so dissapointing

Normally I'd say this is a bad sign, but don't we already have tons of youtube footage showing good portions of the game?

For the most part I've tried to go on a media blackout minus a few clips here or there, however, what I've seen thus far - seems enjoyable.

glaurung

The fact that this is basically Dead Island 1.5 does not fill me with confidence.

I expect this game to have several technical issues on the consoles. The preview builds have been unoptimized and janky as yack.

Cautiously optimistic, but won't be buying at launch, no way, no how.

Dunkley

Well, given that they were open about the preview builds, my money's on the final build not having significantly more content or polish than the preview build already offered.

But we'll see about that post-release.

red731

Waiting for reviews and streams.
Locking "be the zombie" behind preorder is shady.

Thank you for that video review - that guy is awesome.

Bricky

There already is a review in Dutch magazine Power Unlimited. They gave it a 8.3

Power Unlimited tends to give higher scores than most publications though (depending on the reviewer) and usually doesn't account for games being a broken mess. Not to completely dismiss the outlet (even used to read the magazine) but I wouldn't consider their reviews a good indication of quality.

E: 78% higher than average on Metacritic

Top Bottom