• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Don't look now, but a videogame is currently auctioning for 31k USD and rising

Tusk

5zmcewj5.png

Within seconds. Has to be an automated thing?

I think that only happens when someone else bids higer than your current bid.

5zmcewj5.png

Someone correct me if I'm wrong because it's been ages since I used Ebay, but can't people just set max bids that aren't seen by anyone else?

In the above pic for example, some other guy might have set a max bid for $99,000 or something, and all those bids from one guy is really just unsuccessful attempts to outbid the top guy, and in doing so drives up the price himself. But to us it looks like he's making several bids at once.

baphomet

Why would quality make any difference when there are less than 100 of them in existence?

Normal quality evaluation goes out the window when quantities are so limited.

No, it doesnt. If anything quality matters much more when its something this rare.

This cart is worth maybe $4,000 in this condition. I this auction wasnt fake thats what it would go for on the high end.

Someone correct me if I'm wrong because it's been ages since I used Ebay, but can't people just set max bids that aren't seen by anyone else?

In the above pic for example, some other guy might have set a max bid for $99,000 or something, and all those bids from one guy is really just unsuccessful attempts to outbid the top guy, and in doing so drives up the price himself. But to us it looks like he's making several bids at once.

Ahh yes, now it makes sense. Thanks!
I don't use ebay that often but I've experienced that myself multiple times actually.

EDIT: No wait. If there is an "unsuccessful attempt", the top bidding guy would be in that list with a bid that is 1$ higher than the one from that i**f guy. Right?
I'm confused.

wtf. The censored names are different for different people, right? So is that really one guy continually bidding? That's gotta be a bot.

Ebay automatically bids for you when your max bid is higher than any other bids. It helps keep you in the game bidding only above what other people are willing to pay. Good for buyers bad for sellers.

ZealousD

Makes world leading predictions like "The sun will rise tomorrow"
5zmcewj5.png

Basically, the person above set a max bid of 98,000.86. So this person kept increasing bids but was staying under the max bid of the other person. So they kept getting auto-outbid.

Ebay automatically bids for you when your max bid is higher than any other bids. It helps keep you in the game bidding only above what other people are willing to pay. Good for buyers bad for sellers.

It's essentially used to prevent snipers.

Not that snipers have stopped existing or anything. But I think it's cut down on them a lot.

Also I don't think it's so clear that it's bad for sellers. Max bids means that people are putting in higher bids faster. People don't have to wait until the last 15 minutes to put in a bid anymore.

Tusk

:p Oh? I didn't know you could do that. I don't bid on stuff usually, so I guess I just never noticed an option like that.

ZealousD

Makes world leading predictions like "The sun will rise tomorrow"
EDIT: No wait. If there is an "unsuccessful attempt", the top bidding guy would be in that list with a bid that is 1$ higher than the one from that i**f guy. Right?
I'm confused.

No. Automatic bids aren't shown. Only manual bids show up.

prag16

Banned
So many bidders with very low (less than 20) feedback score. Almost makes me think there are some trolls mixed in bidding it up. I think I heard about a rare genesis game ending an auction at $40k or something recently, but nobody paid up.

I could also swear the last Nintendo World Championship cart that appeared went for way less than this, like in the 40-60k range. And this one is in horrid condition, visually. (dat label)

Teknoman

http://www.ebay.com/itm/NES-Nintendo-World-Championship-Cart-RARE-Torn-Label-100-Authentic-Adult-Owned-/221357006206

This is absolutely fascinating. I admit that I haven't heard of this game before but that doesn't make the auction any less bewildering. Any GAFfers big on the collection scene? Any other crazy auctions you've seen or participated in?

EDIT: nearly $99,000 now

And BBC picked up on it. lol

You should visit the various retro OTs. That being said....that is a little much.

Xpliskin

$99,000 for a NES cart ?

I can't believe this sorry, there's something wrong somewhere.
Who the hell would bid that much

eXistor

Yeah I agree, something is probably up with this. It's a rare and expensive game for sure, but in this state? No way. It would probably still fetch a few thousand bucks, but this is insanity.

prag16

Banned
"Actual value" is a pretty loose term when it comes to collector's items.
Yeah.. to be fair, "actual value" can be whatever somebody is willing to pay.

That said.. definitely something odd afoot here. No way a tattered cart, even NWC, should ever fetch 100k bones.

Taker34

Banned
There's no way this auction actually sells at that price. It has hit 5x the actual value for one of these carts..

Actually it's 10x the actual value... and this cart isn't even in used condition... that's like selling digested chicken for 10x its actual cost. As if you'd gain something from it compared to mint cartridges.

onken

Not necessarily so...I've seen stories of arab sheikhs dropping $100K+ on partial collections of NES games and NeoGeo carts just to get one game or complete their collections, hacking communities pooling cash together to buy lost/stolen prototypes put up by clueless ex-employees so they can dump the roms, etc.

Damnnn, crazy if true.

MattKeil

BIGTIME TV MOGUL #2
There's no way this auction actually sells at that price. It has hit 5x the actual value for one of these carts..

This particular one is pretty famous in the collector community, though. The inflated price might be because it's the NWC cart that's famous for being torn and has "Mario" written on it.

thomaser

Haha, holy shit. I used to own that exact cart around 15 years ago. Exchanged it for a rarer gold version later with another collector (obviously gave him some other stuff in addition... and he owned most of the gold carts at that time).

Fun fact: when I originally bought that grey cart, I paid around $150-200. As I remember, the guy selling it did it in a post on usenet. Alt.videogames or something? The auction had ended, but I contacted the seller anyway in case the buyer didn't follow up. And that's exactly what happened. So I ended up getting it. Fun to see it again :)

Haha, holy shit. I used to own that exact cart around 15 years ago.

You know, I would have been all "OK... sure." Then I looked at your name and remembered this from the auction:

This question has popped up many a time since I posted the cartridge so here is the brief history on the cart as I know it to be: An Alt Newsgroups auction was held back in 1998 and purchased by thomaser in Norway. He traded to DreamTR, who sold to me maybe around 2004/05.

So... "holy shit," indeed.

Chinbo37

Haha, holy shit. I used to own that exact cart around 15 years ago. Exchanged it for a rarer gold version later with another collector (obviously gave him some other stuff in addition... and he owned most of the gold carts at that time).

Fun fact: when I originally bought that grey cart, I paid around $150-200. As I remember, the guy selling it did it in a post on usenet. Alt.videogames or something? The auction had ended, but I contacted the seller anyway in case the buyer didn't follow up. And that's exactly what happened. So I ended up getting it. Fun to see it again :)

Great story! Cool to get a bit of the backstory

thomaser

You know, I would have been all "OK... sure." Then I looked at your name and remembered this from the auction:

Yeah, I just saw it. Crazy - even I didn't remember which year it was. My e-mails only go back to 2004.

Anyway, I had to find my gold cart and make sure that it was still here. Here's a shitty picture.

It's fun to think about selling it, but it won't happen, at least not for the near future. Especially not as these things seem to double in value every 5 years or so.

Tripon

Yeah, I just saw it. Crazy - even I didn't remember which year it was. My e-mails only go back to 2004.

Anyway, I had to find my gold cart and make sure that it was still here. Here's a shitty picture.

It's fun to think about selling it, but it won't happen, at least not for the near future. Especially not as these things seem to double in value every 5 years or so.

Whoa, that's a great story. So since you're deeper in the collection scene than most of us, what's your take on this? Anyway this eBay auction is legit?

thomaser

Whoa, that's a great story. So since you're deeper in the collection scene than most of us, what's your take on this? Anyway this eBay auction is legit?

I lost track of the cart after trading it away, so I don't know who the seller is. But it's definitely the same cart I had back then, no doubt whatsoever. So I'm not worried about the legitimacy of the seller. The bidders, on the other hand... those sums are outlandish.

Kevtones

I lost track of the cart after trading it away, so I don't know who the seller is. But it's definitely the same cart I had back then, no doubt whatsoever. So I'm not worried about the legitimacy of the seller. The bidders, on the other hand... those sums are outlandish.

How did you come into possession of it? Did you write the 'Mario' lol?

thomaser

How did you come into possession of it? Did you write the 'Mario' lol?

No, I most definitely did not write that :) As mentioned, I got lucky and bought it from a random guy on usenet. Not sure he knew how rare it was. He *might* have mentioned finding it in a garage sale, but don't quote me on it. Maybe I should try to find my oldest computers and scavenge up the emails from that time.

Gasmeter

Banned
I think it is. It made the top story on the BBC news website all day yesterday. But since the label is ripped, there could be a possibility not fraud, even with the DIP switch on the cartridge.

Can I ask what you traded it for?

thomaser

Can I ask what you traded it for?

I got the gold-cart version of the same game.

As far as I remember, he got these things:
- the grey NWC cart with the ripped label
- 1000 dollars
- a limited edition Game Boy Light (I think it was some kind of translucent green or ice blue Toys r Us version)
- one or two rare European NES-games. Maybe Mr. Gimmick, and maybe Rodland.
- a big slab of Freia milk chocolate. I'm not even kidding.

Top Bottom