• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Don't look now, but a videogame is currently auctioning for 31k USD and rising

Haha, holy shit. I used to own that exact cart around 15 years ago. Exchanged it for a rarer gold version later with another collector (obviously gave him some other stuff in addition... and he owned most of the gold carts at that time).

Fun fact: when I originally bought that grey cart, I paid around $150-200. As I remember, the guy selling it did it in a post on usenet. Alt.videogames or something? The auction had ended, but I contacted the seller anyway in case the buyer didn't follow up. And that's exactly what happened. So I ended up getting it. Fun to see it again :)

Wow, that's so awesome! Funny how things can come back to us like that overtime

thomaser

Yeah, thread got way cooler for me.

I'm assuming the handwritten "Mario" was all you needed to see to know it was your old copy, Thomaser?

That, and the way the label is ripped. You can still read a few of the words, and I remember sitting with the cart under a bright light to scrutinize the label and find all the information I could. I scanned it too, but have no idea where those files are now. It would be extremely hard to fake a ripped label like that.

I got the gold-cart version of the same game.

As far as I remember, he got these things:
- the grey NWC cart with the ripped label
- 1000 dollars
- a limited edition Game Boy Light (I think it was some kind of translucent green or ice blue Toys r Us version)
- one or two rare European NES-games. Maybe Mr. Gimmick, and maybe Rodland.
- a big slab of Freia milk chocolate. I'm not even kidding.

Hahahaha that's great. And a great trade in hindsight. Unless those chocolates are worth way more than I thought.

Mafia Films

Neo Member
Holy shit, I didn't think a copy in such shit condition would get up this high. Especially the grey cart. Wonder if the bidder will actually pay out.

I mean, when Pat the NES Punk went on Pawn Stars he was only trying to get $35K for both the grey and gold copies. (of course show's fake as fuck but still.)

And he paid like $10k-15k for the gold cart, or something like that, if you pause during the right time in the episode you can read his documents/receipt of purchase and see the price.

Shill bidding on this auction, I feel bad for the seller if he thinks hes going to get 100k or w/e its at now.

These auctions often get relisted because of such nonsense/non paying bidder.

As well a scam could be at foot....people willing to overpay for something..send a bounced payment that looks like its pending/cleared/stolen card then the seller ships item, payment bounces like a bumble week or so later, guy has item in hand by then....Dont know if the seller in this particular situation would be that naive, but Ive seen it on other rare items $200-1000 where something like this goes down.

Haha, holy shit. I used to own that exact cart around 15 years ago. Exchanged it for a rarer gold version later with another collector (obviously gave him some other stuff in addition... and he owned most of the gold carts at that time).

Fun fact: when I originally bought that grey cart, I paid around $150-200. As I remember, the guy selling it did it in a post on usenet. Alt.videogames or something? The auction had ended, but I contacted the seller anyway in case the buyer didn't follow up. And that's exactly what happened. So I ended up getting it. Fun to see it again :)
Wow, small world. Thanks for sharing man.

EDIT: Also, get those last minute bids in people. :p

Tripon

And he paid like $10k-15k for the gold cart, or something like that, if you pause during the right time in the episode you can read his documents/receipt of purchase and see the price.

Shill bidding on this auction, I feel bad for the seller if he thinks hes going to get 100k or w/e its at now.

These auctions often get relisted because of such nonsense/non paying bidder.

As well a scam could be at foot....people willing to overpay for something..send a bounced payment that looks like its pending/cleared/stolen card then the seller ships item, payment bounces like a bumble week or so later, guy has item in hand by then....Dont know if the seller in this particular situation would be that naive, but Ive seen it on other rare items $200-1000 where something like this goes down.

Seller is at least smart enough to not go though paypal. Same something about financing the payment though an bank or something.

thomaser

Thomaser, do you have any other awesome rare things in your collection?

Nothing else on this level, that's for sure. But I have some unreleased games for the SNES and N64, a few other competition-games, some unique Game Boys and a GameCube that were customized by artists and auctioned away by Nintendo for charity, a complete Virtual Boy collection (except one single game) and tons of other cool stuff, way too much to mention. Maybe 4000 Nintendo games in total, 99% of them European. It was easy to get a good collection 15 years ago. Prices were MUCH lower than now, ebay actually worked, and I didn't have an apartment or a car...

Kevtones

Nothing else on this level, that's for sure. But I have some unreleased games for the SNES and N64, a few other competition-games, some unique Game Boys and a GameCube that were customized by artists and auctioned away by Nintendo for charity, a complete Virtual Boy collection (except one single game) and tons of other cool stuff, way too much to mention. Maybe 4000 Nintendo games in total, 99% of them European. It was easy to get a good collection 15 years ago. Prices were MUCH lower than now, ebay actually worked, and I didn't have an apartment or a car...

Curious - what unreleased titles did you have?

Breemin

I just tagging along here. I am curious to see if this was real or not. I cant imagine it is though. unless I am missing something...

Tenrius

So how do we know whether the deal actually goes through? I doubt it won't though — the buyer seems to be as legit as they come.

thomaser

Yeah, the buyer has a very high feedback score.

Maybe it really is legit?

Turns out the top bidder claims his "2 year old" made the bid without his knowledge. The seller is going to go down the list and contact the others at the top to see if some of them are serious. Chances are probably slim. But he'll get a nice amount of money for it anyway, even if he has to go down to the bottom of the list.

pje122

Turns out the top bidder claims his "2 year old" made the bid without his knowledge. The seller is going to go down the list and contact the others at the top to see if some of them are serious. Chances are probably slim. But he'll get a nice amount of money for it anyway, even if he has to go down to the bottom of the list.
LOL WAT

shyamalan4.jpg

this is fucking amazing, its awesome to hear a bit of the story, would love to know who had it before thomaser

also I hope the guy updates us with how much it actually sells for.

Kiant

2 year old making the bids, >.> yeah okay!, sucks for the seller. Well here's hoping my N64 collection is worth a crap ton one day ;D.

goldenpp72

What does "adult owned" even mean, by the way?

Well, it would usually be meant to imply it was taken well care of, as an adult is more likely to be gentle/well kept with their stuff than a kid. Unfortunately, with the entire label outright missing, i'm not sure how smart or logical that description is.

Billen

Banned
Thomaser, thanks for sharing your part of the story! Awesome reading.

Now I've got to go and make sure my kid isn't bidding on rare collectors stuff on the internet. I mean, it happens, right? Right?

Breemin

oops my kid just bought a game for $999k... meh happens.

Terrible two's to the max.

I do not believe that is even possible

Coreda

So my two year-old happened to be browsing eBay looking for NES carts and decided to enter an appropriate bid amount and click through to place a bid - the exact same bidder that placed the first bid . . . riiiight.

Also, amazing story thomaser! GAF did not disappoint.

Breemin

The real joke here is eBay. Its not a binding contract when you win an auction and if a buyer backs out there is no penalty for him. I tried putting a negative feedback once cuz someone didn't pay and I couldn't do it, they took away the negative feedback option.

eBay is turning into a joke for sellers.

I just like how a respectable online journal like BBC made an article on this garbage fake auction.

Top bidder claims his "2 year old" made the bid without his knowledge.
The real joke here is eBay. Its not a binding contract when you win an auction and if a buyer backs out there is no penalty for him.

How does it work with ebay when a buyer "makes a mistake"? Do they still chase the seller for fees or does the seller just click through a few menus/options and ebay just "forgets about it" unless someone else decides to pay?

thomaser

What if... thomaser is the top bidder/auction creator :D?
shyamalan4.jpg

Haha! I kinda want to contact the seller and see if he's willing to sell it to me for a lot less money after all the other ones bow out. It worked the first time I bought it! And it would be fun to own it again, especially now that it's been out in the world and become famous :)

Donos

Ebay uses a system where you can set a price you're willing to pay above the going bid, so when somebody makes a higher going bid that is below your max bid, EBay will automatically make another bid for you that is a little above there's until you hit your own max.

Say there is a game that you want that you know usually goes around $30 on auction sites. And bidding goes starts at $1, for a 24 hour auction.

Knowing that you can get it for $30 anytime, but want to save some money and you don't have time to watch it all days. There's already been some bidding going on though, and its currently at $2.50

What you can do is set your max bid at $25. Your bid is officially recorded at $3 or whatever, so you can don't have to pay the full $25 yet. Another person makes a bid at $5, so the system bids for you at $5.50, and so forth.

At the end of the day, you are the winner at $24 because the system throughout the day has been bidding for you, and it automatically does it for you.

I use Gixen.com (ebay sniper) and it gets me 7-8/10 auctions i want. It only bids in the last possible moment for a max price you set it to. It's works best with not sooo hot auctions with a lot of people.

Dash Kappei

Not actually that important

If you read the listing the seller is now asking for money wired bank to bank so no, he ain't gonna get scammed like that. Not like he's ever getting paid those 100k anyway, lol

Top Bottom