• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Don't play Star Wars Battlefront if you haven't seen the new Star Wars yet

Auctopus

yea like I am your father >_>

A fuckton of the biggest spoilers in movies, books, etc. are just various forms of "_____ kills ______", "_______ dies", and "real villain's _______". It's not a Star Wars-specific thing at all.

You mean like literally every story or plot ever?

Spoiler: Jesus dies.

Jeez, Star Wars defence force. I didn't mean it as a negative to the film. I just meant it's a shame 'cause it can be spoiled so easy.

Yeah spoilers ruin surprises, not stories. Unless it's a bad story build solely around the surprise.

That really depends, if the viewer is taken out of the movie by expecting the spoiler, then the story has been ruined for them. Which unfortunately means even joke spoilers can be bad for some people.

Also, some stories are designed to have a lot of tension added that a spoiler can remove. Such as, one of the Harry Potter books the author leaked that someone important was going to die in the book. Then she filled the book with fake death scenes :) If you knew who was going to die, those death scenes wouldn't be filled with tension.

Somewhat related for consoles, this is happening in Black Ops 3 as well. You can turn off user generated content in the settings.

Dawg impersonation: "Those Cheeky cunts."

Jag

Couldn't get to movies today and my kid was playing BF and they spoiled the movie for him. I forgot to tell him not to read the comments.

EBE

lol thats amazing
which spoiler is it? is it
nah i wouldnt do that to you guys you guys are good people

BizzyBum

Wow, I was playing before and thought about it, of course people would do it. Even fellow Star Wars fans aren't sacred.

Just got an XBL message from someone called Le Compadre with a spoiler in it. Popped up as a text on my phone...impossible to avoid.

I can only assume it's a GAFer who saw my gamertag in my profile?

Ohh dang. I don't know when was the last time I saw people so desperate to spoil others.
Gotta be careful, then.

EDIT: If you haven't seen the movie yet, remove your gamertag from your profile or ignore new messages, Le Compadre is a gafer and is the one sending spoilers.

Fisty

Ohh dang. I don't know when was the last time I saw people so desperate to spoil others.
Gotta be careful, then.

EDIT: If you haven't seen the movie yet, remove your gamertag from your profile or ignore new messages, Le Compadre is a gafer and is the one sending spoilers.

Ban this filth. Seriousy, how shitty is your life to think this is a good way to spend your time

Crossing Eden

Hello, my name is Yves Guillemot, Vivendi S.A.'s Employee of the Month!
Jesus christ calm down with the fucking threads.

what's next "Don't eat or breathe if you haven't seen the new Star Wars yet"
What's your problem with warnings man? Just because you specifically aren't interested in seeing the movie doesn't mean you need to complain about warnings being made to those who're heavily invested in the film.

Mortemis

Banned
I've been seeing complaints about spoilers non stop today, both here and on twitter/facebook.

I'm surprised I haven't seen a single spoiler yet. It's not like I'm on black out or anything.

What's your problem with warnings man? Just because you specifically aren't interested in seeing the movie doesn't mean you need to complain about warnings being made to those who're heavily invested in the film.

i feel there should be a designated thread, not 15 about avoiding this and that. It's just silly.

SJRB

Gold Member
Today I learned that Star Wars 7 is spoiler-able in a tiny image.

How interesting. How good could a plot development be if it can be ruined in an image? Or a short sentence?

Hmm, I'm sure I'll find out in due time.

You take your basic 100 x 100 px image and you write down the spoiler like:

THIS
WILL
HAPPEN

Done - huge plot point spoilt for everyone. It happened to me and I can assure you three words is enough for a massive spoiler.

woen

Yeah spoilers ruin surprises, not stories. Unless it's a bad story build solely around the surprise.

That's stupid. If I spoil you the last quarter of Vertigo (basically the revelation) I ruined for you everything that is good about the movie and how Hitchcock fooled you all the way down. That's the beauty of the movie and why seeing it two times is a true cinematographic experience for the viewer. Seeing it while knowing the "twist" but without experiencing what came before it (which gave the twist its meaning and significance) is a ruined experience. There is no more story to experience. And don't tell me Vertigo has a "bad story", please (one of many examples of movies btw, or video games, like Heavy Rain)

Hylian7

Out of morbid curiosity (I saw the movie tonight), can someone PM me what spoiler they were making avatars of? I could think of some text ones, but I would think it would be hard to spoil much in this movie with a tiny avatar sized picture.

Moozo

If you've been on the internet since it came out, you've probably been spoiled. Random comment sections, replies to tweets, everything

timmyp53

Welp can't be worse than me getting spoiled by an immature butthurt fanboy in the top recent comments of the kojima productions ps4 collab video on YouTube . It's always the big movies I get spoiled for. Can't even go on the internet at all. It's retarded.

Plasma

Banned
I was just about to play some last night and somebody on my friends list warned me just before I got in a game. Really glad they did too as I'm going to see it tonight.

woen

If you've been on the internet since it came out, you've probably been spoiled. Random comment sections, replies to tweets, everything

Not everything. If your activity on the internet is about reading random comments from youtube, twitch, reddit, twitter or news site, then yes you may have been spoiled. But if you are careful and do other things than reading comments on social websites then no, there is little probability that you've been spoiled (and lost your time). I can testify of that. If you have a star wars spoiler-free browser extension it reduces the chances too.

MattKeil

BIGTIME TV MOGUL #2
Today I learned that Star Wars 7 is spoiler-able in a tiny image.

How interesting. How good could a plot development be if it can be ruined in an image? Or a short sentence?

Hmm, I'm sure I'll find out in due time.

"It's his sled."

Three words. One of the biggest surprise reveals in cinema history. Doesn't take much.

Joey Ravn

Banned
The reality is that a good yarn can't be ruined by knowing what's going to happen. What makes is a good yarn is the way it's told.

¯|_(ツ)_|¯

Eh, I wouldn't be so categorical. I don't know (or think) it's the case for Star Wars, but sometimes a plot twist is so integral to the plot of the story itself that knowing it beforehand ruins the "journey". If you know information that you should only know after finishing the story, then the way you see that story will be conditioned by that information.

Think The Usual Suspects, Bioshock or Fight Club. You are meant to take those movies at face value, then rewatch them knowing what you get to know at the end. If you spoil them, you lose half of the intention of the movie in the process.

Besides, some people care about spoilers, some don't. Justifying spoiling the movie for those who care about them is a pretty shitty stance, if you ask me.

NewDust

The obsession of the internet with a mediocre movie franchise knows no bounds, and frankly is quite unnerving. If you don't want to get spoiled better go into hibernation.

"It's his sled."

Three words. One of the biggest surprise reveals in cinema history. Doesn't take much.
Thanks, MattKeil. Now I'm never going to see Citizen Kane. Ya know, GAF has spoiler tags for a reason.

/s. :p
Ban this filth. Seriousy, how shitty is your life to think this is a good way to spend your time
Has s/he been banned? Seriously, that's disgusting behavior.
And he invented the M. Night Twist ending. He was a black guy all along!
Try and tell that to Creationists. Or, well, just about every Western incarnation of the Jesus story!
He didn't post the main spoiler though. Shit gets cray cray man!
Now you've got my attention. What else happens?!

Top Bottom