• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Don't Starve PS4 |OT| Free with PS+

Grinchy

Banned
I don't know if the PC version ever got controller support, but one of my complaints about it was how tedious the game felt. You had to aim your mouse at every single log, flower, ect. After many hours, it just became a chore to play for me. The way the controller is used in this version is so much better IMO. You can just hold X and it collects everything around you. Pretty much everything about its controls feels better to me than it did on PC.

jaypah

I've put my PS4 in standby when I'm done since launch. THE ONE DAY I TURN IT COMPLETELY OFF! *sigh* Oh well, guess I'll start the download when I get home like some fucking caveman.

K

kittens

Unconfirmed Member
I've put my PS4 in standby when I'm done since launch. THE ONE DAY I TURN IT COMPLETELY OFF! *sigh* Oh well, guess I'll start the download when I get home like some fucking caveman.
It took me three minutes to download, lol.

coolasj19

Why are you reading my tag instead of the title of my post?
What are PS3 users? Or does that do it out of stand-by too?

Killthee

helped a brotha out on multiple separate occasions!
I don't know if the PC version ever got controller support, but one of my complaints about it was how tedious the game felt. You had to aim your mouse at every single log, flower, ect. After many hours, it just became a chore to play for me. The way the controller is used in this version is so much better IMO. You can just hold X and it collects everything around you. Pretty much everything about its controls feels better to me than it did on PC.
They patched in PC controller support last Fall. As for the aiming in the PC version, I can't remember if it's a mod or just the base game, but I remember holding down the space bar would automatically move the character on to the closest item which IMO is better than the PS4 version cause you don't have to manually move the character to the item.

I have no idea what i'm doing in this game. I started up my first game and instantly died when it hit night time because I didn't make a fire. Then I started up another game and made it to Day 4. My health was low so I started eating anything that said "Eat" in my menu. I popped a mushroom and my character kills over and all his loot spills out. :/

rbanke

Bought it back in beta for the PC and tried it out a bit and decided to play it when it was done. Still haven't gone back to it, Also have PS+ so now I'm curious if there is any reason to play one over the other.

Just got done with about an hour of it. Man, it's brutal. As the OP says, there is no hand-holding. It feels very Minecraft-esque, but more appealing (to me). Going to give it more time, but 5 days is all I could survive so far. :-|

LycanXIII

The UI seems too small for me in game. Really good port otherwise though.

Anyone else getting an error where it locks you out and says you don't have a license to play this game?

Go to PSN under settings and Restore License. Fixed it for me.

FHIZ

Bought this on steam, but my hands start to hurt when playing with keyboard and mouse for too long, so I'm greatly looking forward to getting deeper into it now. Played a bit already and got reminded why I loved it so much, the style, music, etc is sooooo good.

The UI seems too small for me in game. Really good port otherwise though.

Yeah, text on the crafting and inventory stuff is a little hard to read from the couch. Had to put my glasses on and even then had to lean in a bit.

K

kittens

Unconfirmed Member
I have no idea what i'm doing in this game. I started up my first game and instantly died when it hit night time because I didn't make a fire. Then I started up another game and made it to Day 4. My health was low so I started eating anything that said "Eat" in my menu. I popped a mushroom and my character kills over and all his loot spills out. :/
I could write this exact same post, but mine would have a :-D at the end.

I knew some stuff about the game already because I had watched the GB Quick Look. Lasted about 8 days on my first run through. Was doing just fine, had a fire pit going, had a science machine, and was set up right next to a field so I could easily hunt.

Then I got hungry and just popped everything in my inventory into my mouth. This included some green mushrooms.
I went insane and died to my hallucinations.

HORRORSHØW

I knew some stuff about the game already because I had watched the GB Quick Look. Lasted about 8 days on my first run through. Was doing just fine, had a fire pit going, had a science machine, and was set up right next to a field so I could easily hunt.

Then I got hungry and just popped everything in my inventory into my mouth. This included some green mushrooms.
I went insane and died to my hallucinations.
lol wut? that sounds awesome.

Downloaded and played if for a good while. I'm enjoying it so far. Can't really say much about the game since I don't know what I'm supposed to be doing to complete a level yet. I know I'm supposed to survive, but not much else.

daman824

Sorry for putting this here but is psn acting weird for anyone else? I cant access the store or my friends list but i can stream videos off the activity feed. Internet test worked fine. I just want to download dont starve which is why I posted this here.

shwimpy

Sorry for putting this here but is psn acting weird for anyone else? I cant access the store or my friends list but i can stream videos off the activity feed. Internet test worked fine. I just want to download dont starve which is why I posted this here.
Use the webstore and push the download to your PS4.

Not just you. I can't seem to access the store for the moment. Everything else is fine though for some reason.

Play this game guys! It is my favorite game from last year (bought and played on Steam). 60+ hours and counting for me. Wish I had a PS4 to play it on too (yes, I am somewhat jealous of you guys with your fancy PS4s :p).

They'd have to implement touch screen controls there probably. It WOULD require adjustment as a result but it's the type of game that probably could work great with it.

Ah, I just really hate buttons mapped to back touch. It makes remote play unusable for me.

Bumhead

Banned
What's the best approach to a "camp" situation?

On one of my play throughs I built a camp fire and a research machine in a spot, which sort of became a bit of a base really. Is establishing a base camp and exploring from there an advisable way to play the game? Or just keep moving and stop wherever?

I couldnt get into this from the get, just not my type of game, sucks because I wanted to actually play something new on my ps4, well back to Batman: AO.

K

kittens

Unconfirmed Member
Mushrooms are a dice roll. I'm pretty sure I ate a few, and I was fine.

Streaming was a great idea on PS4. Don't Starve is the top stream right now. Even though it's only a few hundred people it will be a great way to check out games on the days they come out.

I want to push this from PSN here at work so I can play when I get home, but it's showing up in my cart for $14.99. I see that problem mentioned in the OP, but I was wondering if there is a work around since there isn't much talk about it.

Top Bottom