• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Don't Starve PS4 |OT| Free with PS+

v1lla21

I've made it to the 20th day on the PC Version so I hope I get as far as that when I play it on the ps4. I love the game. I still wish consoles supported mods though, because the mod for this game on PC is great.

So I'm on my 10th day and my sanity meter was at about 50ish. I got killed by a herd of buffalo (obviously) but the game didn't end. Instead, I was transported to this sacrificial area with pig heads. I had lost all my stuff but I'm still on day 10. Has this happened to anyone else? Not how the game didn't end.

Allforce

What does Saving do? Like let you start a new game at that particular day you saved on? I got to Day 8 on my first try and then died (attacked a Beefalo) and now every time I start its like "New Game" on the four slots.

-griffy-

Banned
Wow, I'm enjoying this game so far. Reminds me of a kind of Binding of Isaac/Minecraft hybrid of sorts. Love that it drops you in with no hand holding.

Pastry

Banned
So I'm on my 10th day and my sanity meter was at about 50ish. I got killed by a herd of buffalo (obviously) but the game didn't end. Instead, I was transported to this sacrificial area with pig heads. I had lost all my stuff but I'm still on day 10. Has this happened to anyone else? Not how the game didn't end.

Yeah they're called "touch stones" I think. If you find one and use it then you can Respawn at it once when you die. You lose all of your gear though but you can run back to where you died and find it.

cheststrongwell

my cake, fuck off
What does Saving do? Like let you start a new game at that particular day you saved on? I got to Day 8 on my first try and then died (attacked a Beefalo) and now every time I start its like "New Game" on the four slots.

Saving in this game is more like a resume feature. You can't go back to a previous save.

Jintor

Yea had to give it a run for a while. I finally made it up too day 3 after figuring out how to build an axe and make fire. This is going to be a fun little game. Perfect compliment to a Splunky session. Quick screen shot of something weird I found. Also thanks for the link Cheser!

FCpSilY.jpg

feed that pig!

IndustryX

Haha OK wow this game is awesome never tried it on any other platform but I'm hooked already!!!

Really loving all the aha moments I'm having! Had no clue what this was about when I fired it up but truly surprised at this game great game for ps plus!

ixix

Exists in a perpetual state of Quantum Crotch Uncertainty.

That's a Touch Stone. You must've activated it at some point before you died. It revives you on death, but only once. You probably noticed that it exploded when you came back to life.

Yeah they're called "touch stones" I think. If you find one and use it then you can Respawn at it once when you die. You lose all of your gear though but you can run back to where you died and find it.

Oh man that's fantastic. I'll have to keep an eye out for more of those. Thanks!

I survived 6 days so far. I died because I stole a Tail Bird's egg and it killed me in 1 hit. It wouldn't stop following me so I think it was inevitable.

At least I unlocked the next character, but I still think I'll stick with the MC for now.

That's a Touch Stone. You must've activated it at some point before you died. It revives you on death, but only once. You probably noticed that it exploded when you came back to life.

Yeah it exploded, confused the hell out of me haha. So if I activate one touch stone, die, get revived, then find another one, it's not going to work?

ixix

Yeah it exploded, confused the hell out of me haha. So if I activate one touch stone, die, get revived, then find another one, it's not going to work?

Each one works one time. So if you find one, die, it blows up, and then you find another one you'll be able to die again in relative safety. Similarly, if you activate more than one and then die you'll resurrect at whichever stone is nearest to where you died.

Basically think of them as extra lives. Every active stone is another life, and activating one is basically like picking up a 1-up.

You might want to leave little stockpiles of supplies around them, since your inventory gets cleared out when you bite it. I like to leave a spear, a log suit, a fire pit with some fuel, and if I can wrangle it some food next to each one.

I survived 6 days so far. I died because I stole a Tail Bird's egg and it killed me in 1 hit. It wouldn't stop following me so I think it was inevitable.

At least I unlocked the next character, but I still think I'll stick with the MC for now.

Tallbirds will give up eventually when you steal an egg, but it takes ages. Budget a few hours of daylight for some Benny Hill action before you nab one.

The next character is more for beginners since they
light themselves on fire in the dark and don't take damage from fire

mattiewheels

And then the LORD David Bowie saith to his Son, Jonny Depp: 'Go, and spread my image amongst the cosmos. For every living thing is in anguish and only the LIGHT shall give them reprieve.'
The icons for what you need to craft are not only microscopic, but there's no titles? That's pretty weird.

Each one works one time. So if you find one, die, it blows up, and then you find another one you'll be able to die again in relative safety. Similarly, if you activate more than one and then die you'll resurrect at whichever stone is nearest to where you died.

Basically think of them as extra lives. Every active stone is another life, and activating one is basically like picking up a 1-up.

You might want to leave little stockpiles of supplies around them, since your inventory gets cleared out when you bite it. I like to leave a spear, a log suit, a fire pit with some fuel, and if I can wrangle it some food next to each one.

Oh that's even better. I dig that strategy. After I was revived, I didn't last one more day because I had nothing. Thanks, man!

Odrion

Banned
Three playthroughs so far.

Not feeling it so far, it's like MMO gathering mechanics: the game. It seems like too much of it relies on finding a gold nugget, and one time it was scarce enough where I was just walking through the map repeating the same gathering and crafting over and over until I decided to kill myself and start over.

I've made it 9 days so far, on a really bad generated map too. I couldn't find any rock/gold/grass spawns so every night i'd frantically just make it. It wasn't till after that run that I learned that there is a map when you press the options button which would have made my days so much easier.

Something I figured out on my last run was that there's these easily missable dark paths (and in the case a brick one). When you run on them it actually increases your speed. It would probably be a good idea to build your base camp off one.
xm0bmVa.jpg

Does the tier 2 camp fire stick around when it burns out?

ixix

Oh that's even better. I dig that strategy. After I was revived, I didn't last one more day because I had nothing. Thanks, man!

The simplest way to prepare one for a respawn is to just carry a stack each of grass, twigs, flint, and logs down it and just drop 'em on the ground in the surrounding environs. That'll give you all the raw materials you need to make torches, campfires, and basic tools, weapons, and armor. That should get you back to your main camp with little trouble.

Making full-blown little camps around each one is pretty excessive, but building vacation homes that you'll only use once, if ever, is a great way to engage in conspicuous consumption, which is the perfect way to signal to the local fauna that you're the one in charge. They'll be mad jealous of your largesse before you know it.

Does the tier 2 camp fire stick around when it burns out?

Yep. Firepits last forever. All you have to do is feed it some fuel for instant chestnut-roasting action.

Mrbob

Never bought this on Steam so this is my first go at the game. It is interesting to say the least. Wish the text size was bigger though. All the text is way too small on my plasma.

RoboPlato

I'd be in the dick
Bought and downloaded the game remotely via the online store but it's locked for some reason even though it's fully downloaded. Says I don't have the license. Any fixes? Just delete and redownload?

JJP12

This game is brutally awesome! On the 8th night I started hearing something. I frantically built a fort out of hay walls but it wasn't enough to protect me. Can't wait to give it another whirl.

I found a tiny box being guarded by a garden gnome. Was too afraid to pick it up. I escaped death twice thanks to the grass armor. I had no food so had to steal the tallbird's egg and just barely survived the battle with it. Then got attacked by hounds at night and just barely survived that.

FHIZ

I love just reading all the random shit people encounter. It all sounds way more entertaining than say Minecraft, which is no knock on that game... but kinda, haha. Makes me really want to keep playing it tonight, but I got to get some Zelda in too, I guess.

Pastry

Banned
Help decide my fate GAF. I'm on day 10 living in an area surrounded by rabbits. There's no real danger around me except for a tail bird that I stay away from. I could probably live comfortably in this spot for a long time.

OR

I could jump through that wormhole next to my camp and end up who knows where.

Bought and downloaded the game remotely via the online store but it's locked for some reason even though it's fully downloaded. Says I don't have the license. Any fixes? Just delete and redownload?

Weird, same thing just happened to me. Haven't had this problem with other games.

The simplest way to prepare one for a respawn is to just carry a stack each of grass, twigs, flint, and logs down it and just drop 'em on the ground in the surrounding environs. That'll give you all the raw materials you need to make torches, campfires, and basic tools, weapons, and armor. That should get you back to your main camp with little trouble.

Making full-blown little camps around each one is pretty excessive, but building vacation homes that you'll only use once, if ever, is a great way to engage in conspicuous consumption, which is the perfect way to signal to the local fauna that you're the one in charge. They'll be mad jealous of your largesse before you know it.

Yep. Firepits last forever. All you have to do is feed it some fuel for instant chestnut-roasting action.

Good to know. Will try myself

Help decide my fate GAF. I'm on day 10 living in an area surrounded by rabbits. There's no real danger around me except for a tail bird that I stay away from. I could probably live comfortably in this spot for a long time.

OR

I could jump through that wormhole next to my camp and end up who knows where.

Curiousity killed the cat...

LiquidMetal14

hide your water-based mammals
Survived to day 4 twice. Now taking my time and have found even more different things. Every experience has been different.

Top Bottom