• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Doom Game Informer Details

abracadaver

I think these are new:

doom_2016_vorschau_ham1ssb.jpg

doom_2016_vorschau_ha0dsex.jpg

doom_2016_vorschau_ha8ks5s.jpg

doom_2016_vorschau_hamks5x.jpg

From the PC Games article. They played the PC version and said that you can see texture loading issues like in RAGE when you turn too fast.

Hell Knight is exactly like Doom 3, and I like it! one of the best Doom 3 models.
Baron's model is a little better in this shot, but still isn't scary. :(

From the PC Games article. They played the PC version and said that you can see texture loading issues like in RAGE when you turn too fast.

Strange. I never had those issues when I played the Alpha on PC; only pop-in I noticed was when A) the level first loaded or B) sometimes when you respawned. And this was even from being loaded onto a USB 3.0 HDD.

Strange. I never had those issues when I played the Alpha on PC; only pop-in I noticed was when A) the level first loaded or B) sometimes when you respawned. And this was even from being loaded onto a USB 3.0 HDD.

It could be the difference of a higher graphical load in single player.

It could be the difference of a higher graphical load in single player.

Very possible. However I have a GTX 780 in my system and I wouldn't be surprised if the systems that the devs were using had Titan X's in them for maximum headroom so if there's pop-in on a 12GB Titan X, then they may have to work on optimizing their streaming tech. However, Alpha is Alpha and we're still a minimum of 2-3 months from launch, so optimizations ARE going to happen.

evilr

Banned
Hell Knight is exactly like Doom 3, and I like it! one of the best Doom 3 models.
Baron's model is a little better in this shot, but still isn't scary. :(

Yeh tad disappointed in Baron but least he's made a return! Hell Knight is great as usual. Revenant and Cacodemon are stunning. Baron looks a bit too blocky to me but I see how they've tried to capture the original flavours. The top half looks decent.

Ixion

GamesRadar posted an incredibly glowing preview. Some excerpts:

GamesRadar said:
Do not confuse Doom for some semi-ironic throwback to the big dumb shooters we all (think we) remember from the ‘90s. Do not assume that Doom’s fast, ferocious focus on brutality, bullets, and bone-snappping takedowns indicates some cheap rallying cry to the anti-CoD, ‘old school’-worshipping curmudgeons. Doom is not a gimmick. Doom is not a mindless tribute to a bygone era. Doom is an intricate, polished, and aggressively tuned-up machine, with intelligent and purposeful design underpinning every whirling mechanism and furious combustion.

GamesRadar said:
It’s a masterclass in tactical spatial awareness, exacerbated by Doom’s layered, winding, rabbit-warren design of secret routes, shortcuts, and hidden high-ground.

GamesRadar said:
Take Doom’s wildly varied, multi-class bestiary of monsters. Far from the feral meat you might expect, they’re actually more akin to chess pieces. Every one has specific purpose and intent in its abilities. Every one presents a particular kind of problem. And once you start multiplying those problems by each other in group encounters – the whole gory show amplified by Doom’s level design, which plays on line-of-sight but features no safe cover opportunities - you have gunplay that, while never for a split-second losing its immediacy and brutal gratification, ascends to be legitimately described by its devs as a “combat puzzle”.

And here are some other new screenshots (the first one might be concept art):

Mr Swine

Banned
DOOM is looking better and better for every picture and preview that comes out. I only hope it comes out before summer, but I have a feeling it's going to get delayed to the end of the year :/

d3vnull

Do not confuse Doom for some semi-ironic throwback to the big dumb shooters we all (think we) remember from the ‘90s. Do not assume that Doom’s fast, ferocious focus on brutality, bullets, and bone-snappping takedowns indicates some cheap rallying cry to the anti-CoD, ‘old school’-worshipping curmudgeons. Doom is not a gimmick. Doom is not a mindless tribute to a bygone era. Doom is an intricate, polished, and aggressively tuned-up machine, with intelligent and purposeful design underpinning every whirling mechanism and furious combustion.

Damn! I want this game now.

I'm not going to succumb to the hype. I will wait for reviews and GAF impressions especially from PC gamers. I want to know more about the limitations of SnapMap.

Ixion

I'm not going to succumb to the hype. I will wait for reviews and GAF impressions especially from PC gamers. I want to know more about the limitations of SnapMap.

There's going to be some backlash from the PC crowd, no doubt. This game is being built around consoles as the priority.

The two most common complaints we'll see are:

• Movement speed isn't fast enough to be considered a legitimately hardcore Arena shooter
  • We want true modding

As a console player, I don't care about either of those "issues". In fact, SnapMap is much more than console players usually receive, so I'm really happy with that decision. Also, SnapMap allows for movement speed to be increased, so that second complaint might be quelled a bit.

There's going to be some backlash from the PC crowd, no doubt. This game is being built around consoles as the priority.

• Movement speed isn't fast enough to be considered a legitimately hardcore Arena shooter
  • We want true modding

As a console player, I don't care about either of those "issues". In fact, SnapMap is much more than console players usually receive, so I'm really happy with that decision. Also, SnapMap allows for movement speed to be increased, so that second complaint might be quelled a bit.

As far as the movement speed goes, 80% of it has to do with the low FOV (approximately 75). I managed to view some footage (from a source who remains anonymous) of someone who was able to widen their FOV and it fixed *most* of the movement speed issues.

The other 20% has to do with the strafe speed being a *tiny* bit too slow.

Hellgardia

Yeah the default FOV was a bit too low and i didn't try to change it due to lack of time (and couldn't find the config file lol).

Still, it's clearly not as fast as some old-school FPS.

• We want true modding

The other complaint will be that the level design isn't anywhere close to as crazy as the originals

Fully expecting it to be interconnected enemy arenas with occasional nods to the old games with labyrinth-esque sections (rather than every level being one)

It won't be hallway->cutscene->hallway but it may as well be to that crowd :/ (which I totally get, if that's what you loved about those old games. But it not being there doesn't mean there isn't an awesome game still)

-Amon-

As far as the movement speed goes, 80% of it has to do with the low FOV (approximately 75). I managed to view some footage (from a source who remains anonymous) of someone who was able to widen their FOV and it fixed *most* of the movement speed issues.

Movement speed is an absolute value not influrnced by the field of view.

Perception of movement speed is influenced by fov angle, but that's another matter.

Is this even a preview? I assume it is considering it came out the same time as the pcgames.de piece which was a legitimate hands-on but there's no context and it reads more like a GAF poster's GOTY entry. Not to say the praise is false but it makes me suspect the GR writer is moonlighting as a Bethesda marketing intern.

Partially yes, when the FOV is raised to the equivalent of around 90-95 it feels much better. I'd estimate that the ground forward run speed is maybe 20% slower than Quake 3, not that that matters too much since there's no kind of acceleration or speed tricks you can do to go like 3 times that speed.

Is this even a preview? I assume it is considering it came out the same time as the pcgames.de piece which was a legitimate hands-on but there's no context and it reads more like a GAF poster's GOTY entry. Not to say the praise is false but it makes me suspect the GR writer is moonlighting as a Bethesda marketing intern.

It does seem a tad absurd to me as well, but I don't feel much differently about the Game Informer articles either.

Ixion

The other complaint will be that the level design isn't anywhere close to as crazy as the originals

Fully expecting it to be interconnected enemy arenas with occasional nods to the old games with labyrinth-esque sections (rather than every level being one)

It won't be hallway->cutscene->hallway but it may as well be to that crowd :/ (which I totally get, if that's what you loved about those old games. But it not being there doesn't mean there isn't an awesome game still)

I think you may be underestimating the level design a bit. The PCGames article said this about the level design (Google Translate):

At level design id Software's old ways. Hoses like in Call of Duty are frowned upon, the levels in the Reboot extend over several levels, contain hidden Secrets and old-fashioned key cards. After over a decade of supposed casual shooter it's there (in spite of two and three dimensional Automap) not so easy to keep track!

So it seems there's both a 2D and 3D automap. So if you need a map, then chances are the levels are pretty complex. The author said he couldn't always keep track.

GI just put up a half hour long Skype call with Marty Stratton apparently answering questions from randos. I can't listen to it right now, curious to see if the PR talk wall breaks down a bit when faced with questions that presumably come with angry people on the internet.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NrIMb-ro-UI

Second question at 3:00 addresses the level design. To paraphrase after defining the original Doom level design a bit "If people don't really wanna get lost, there's a way out and they can continue on to get to that next combat which is what the focus of the game is, is getting to that next horde of demons you can take out..." when asked if the level design will be inspired by Doom I and Doom II.

Hell level designer sits with the original Doom open next to him, will play the original for some time for inspiration and then design for this game as an answer to the same question.

EDIT: There are quite a few questions related to level design and all of them more or less describe the game as having mainly 'arenas' and combat based. Draw your own conclusions.

Ixion

Second question at 3:00 addresses the level design. To paraphrase after defining the original Doom level design a bit "If people don't really wanna get lost, there's a way out and they can continue on to get to that next combat which is what the focus of the game is, is getting to that next horde of demons you can take out..." when asked if the level design will be inspired by Doom I and Doom II.

Hell level designer sits with the original Doom open next to him, will play the original for some time for inspiration and then design for this game as an answer to the same question.

EDIT: There are quite a few questions related to level design and all of them more or less describe the game as having mainly 'arenas' and combat based. Draw your own conclusions.

I think it's pretty simple how they approached level design. There's a lot of exploration, but it's mostly optional. The incentive is to find items that will help you on your journey, rather than solve the level itself.

So I think they wanted to include the exploration and puzzle solving without the frustration that some people think of when it comes to Doom. We'll see how it works out.

There's a lot of exploration, but it's mostly optional. The incentive is to find items that will help you on your journey, rather than solve the level itself.

That basically summarizes what I dislike about modern FPS design. I get that younger fans somehow find the contrary to be frustrating or boring, but to me that was an integral part of Doom, solving the levels.

Wolfenstein: TNO had the same approach and I found its level design utterly boring. I'm assuming I'm in the vast minority with that opinion so I'm sure people will dig it just fine.

Panajev2001a

GAF's Pleasant Genius
I think it's pretty simple how they approached level design. There's a lot of exploration, but it's mostly optional. The incentive is to find items that will help you on your journey, rather than solve the level itself.

So I think they wanted to include the exploration and puzzle solving without the frustration that some people think of when it comes to Doom. We'll see how it works out.

Essentially making the exploration pointless if it is there just for cosmetic/variety purposes. Considering how less important than going from combat scenario to combat scenario they are making it out to be and how much more important fighting hordes of enemies is (the thrill of over the top action) I am unsure of how much they really invested in creating this extra areas. The interview gave me a feeling of another game designed to be as accessible as possible by a wide variety of more casual FPS lovers and fans of modern shooters while throwing a bone to the old Doom fans to keep that vocal minority happy.

It seems like people are afraid of making a tough, challenging, single player FPS that manages to fuse exploration and combat like DOOM used to. Making exploration optional sounds like it is going to be a shallow experience and something that you would not miss out much if you just go straight ahead.

Yes, sometimes the old levels could be frustrating, but having to adapt and overcome challenges used to be a fun part of gaming that actually elevates it beyond simple entertainment or more passive entertainment like TV shows and/or movies. There is lots of space for games that entertain gamers without requiring a lot of effort, but DOOM used to be a bit beyond that.

Panajev2001a

GAF's Pleasant Genius
That basically summarizes what I dislike about modern FPS design. I get that younger fans somehow find the contrary to be frustrating or boring, but to me that was an integral part of Doom, solving the levels.

Wolfenstein: TNO had the same approach and I found its level design utterly boring. I'm assuming I'm in the vast minority with that opinion so I'm sure people will dig it just fine.

The thing about frustration... so what if it is frustrating at first, sometimes it is enjoyable to test yourself, fail, and succeed after learning from your mistakes and thus improving yourself.

Ooccoo

Can't help but think this game will have almost nothing to do with classic Doom. I've been replaying the old games lately and they're fun for these reasons:

• Great level design with nice hidden zones
  • Fast gameplay
  • No bullshit like checkpoints
  • No health regen
  • Great monster design

What I've seen so far with Doom 2016:

• Forced QTE-style executions (WTF)
  • Sterile, empty, boring level design
  • Forgettable monster design
  • Piss filter art style (changed recently though)

I'm just not sure id Software still knows how to create classics. The new Doom just looks like another attempt at opening a series "for the greater market." Looks very generic and bland. You could say the same about Doom the original, but I still think they went overboard with some of the design choices.

Can't help but think this game will have almost nothing to do with classic Doom. I've been replaying the old games lately and they're fun for these reasons:

• Fast gameplay
  • No health regen
  • Great monster design

I'm just not sure id Software still knows how to create classics. The new Doom just looks like another attempt at opening a series "for the greater market." Looks very generic and bland. You could say the same about Doom the original, but I still think they went overboard with some of the design choices.

• Forced? No. Highly encouraged, yes.
  • We've seen gameplay from a whopping two levels so far. Not fair to judge level design based on a vertical slice.
  • ...Eh, yeah, the demons (with a few exceptions) look pretty "meh". But, again, we've only seen a handful of them.

wwm0nkey

• Fast gameplay
  • No health regen
  • Great monster design

QTE executions are not forced, can't comment on the levels, The newer shots of the monsters look great imo and like you said the piss filter is gone.

After playing the alpha I'm in full hype mode for this

• Fast gameplay
  • No health regen
  • Great monster design

To be fair, this sounds like somebody who watched the E3 footage and left it at that. The monster designs are pretty inconsistent I admit, with a mix of Doom homages, unwanted Doom 3 callbacks (those Geiger esque designs were just awful), and weird cartoony monsters that look like they belong more in Darksiders.

But you're also gluing on the nostalgia glasses tight! Checkpoints?! You've been able to save in the original (PC) versions of Doom at literally any time.

Metal-Geo

I think these are new:

[IG]http://abload.de/img/doom_2016_vorschau_ham1ssb.jpg[/IMG]

[IG]http://abload.de/img/doom_2016_vorschau_ha0dsex.jpg[/IMG]

[IG]http://abload.de/img/doom_2016_vorschau_ha8ks5s.jpg[/IMG]

[IG]http://abload.de/img/doom_2016_vorschau_hamks5x.jpg[/IMG]

Weird how even with a new renderer (supposedly) the guns still look very plasticy. At least in these screenshots. Something I hoped they learned from with DOOM 3.

Weird how even with a new renderer (supposedly) the guns still look very plasticy. At least in these screenshots. Something I hoped they learned from with DOOM 3.

video game PBR still just doesn't look quite right on guns yet for whatever reason. They tend to look like they were painted over with high-gloss latex paint.

But you're also gluing on the nostalgia glasses tight! Checkpoints?! You've been able to save in the original (PC) versions of Doom at literally any time.

Now that I think about it, Doom 3 on the OG Xbox was the only console game I have played that had a key binding for quick save (select/back). Wish it was more popular.

Warxard

Banned

• Fast gameplay
  • No health regen
  • Great monster design

I like making kneejerk reactionary posts too

Top Bottom