• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Doom Game Informer Details

Patrick S.

Banned
I never had those texture problems in RAGE or Wolfenstein

I think you just had to turn your FOV to at least 85 to fix it. I'm not worried about DOOM at all

I had huge texture loading problems in RAGE on the Xbox 360, but in Wolfenstein on the PC I had 0 issues.

Did you try lowering the settings?

This issue is a sign that your machine is struggling with the game.

In plenty of cases, this is not true. I have an i7 4790k, 16GB of RAM, and an SSD and it STILL happened.

The engine is poorly optimized and it has suffered from this issue for some time.

I eventually had to download a hot fix by a modder that resolved most of those issues. As a student and a programmer, I really don't want to mess with configs, mods, and other nonsense just to get the game looking like it should.

I never had those texture problems in RAGE or Wolfenstein

I think you just had to turn your FOV to at least 85 to fix it. I'm not worried about DOOM at all

I remember that did resolve most issues, but not all of them. Oh well. Just the fact that PC gamer already mentioned the problem cropping up makes me wary. It's one of my pet peeves lol

In plenty of cases, this is not true. I have an i7 4790k, 16GB of RAM, and an SSD and it STILL happened.

The engine is poorly optimized and it has suffered from this issue for some time.

I eventually had to download a hot fix by a modder that resolved most of those issues. As a student and a programmer, I really don't want to mess with configs, mods, and other nonsense just to get the game looking like it should.

I remember that did resolve most issues, but not all of them. Oh well. Just the fact that PC gamer already mentioned the problem cropping up makes me wary. It's one of my pet peeves lol

What's your GPU? The more VRAM you have, the better.

Second question at 3:00 addresses the level design. To paraphrase after defining the original Doom level design a bit "If people don't really wanna get lost, there's a way out and they can continue on to get to that next combat which is what the focus of the game is, is getting to that next horde of demons you can take out..." when asked if the level design will be inspired by Doom I and Doom II.

Hell level designer sits with the original Doom open next to him, will play the original for some time for inspiration and then design for this game as an answer to the same question.

EDIT: There are quite a few questions related to level design and all of them more or less describe the game as having mainly 'arenas' and combat based. Draw your own conclusions.

Got around to listening to it, some interesting stuff in there. You covered a good chunk of it, between this and the other coverage their level design philosophy appears set in stone as "arenas loosely connected with slightly branching exploration bits, sometimes containing secrets". On a completely arbitrary scale where Doom and Doom IIs level design is a 0 and Wolfenstein TNO is a 10, this seems like it's around a 7?

Difficulty modes were touched on also, Marty mentioned Hurt Me Plenty, Nightmare, and Ultra Nightmare (No Ultra-Violence?) and apparently one modifier Nightmare has is that checkpoints are disabled, you have to get through the entire mission on one life. Nothing specific about Ultra Nightmare other than it sounding like some crazy hard hidden difficulty.

k4n3

Banned
id has really gone downhill since quake 3 :(

after the mess that was rage think ill wait awhile on this one for reviews and patches

What's your GPU? The more VRAM you have, the better.

GTX 670. This is more than enough for the game.

ID's engine used in RAGE and Wolfenstein is notorious for being more CPU intensive anyways.

EDIT: Welp, I stand corrected about VRAM:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yz2m2QLDkT0

From video:
"It's not CPU or GPU constained, but VRAM constrained...It doesn't matter how fast your GPU or CPU is, what matters is how much VRAM you have...This game kinda works counter to every other engine on the planet, really... "

I think this is bullocks. Most games these days are still designed with 2GB VRAM, so for a game that doesn't look as beautiful as most modern releases and struggle on high end gear is just maddening to me.

ID's engine used in RAGE and Wolfenstein is notorious for being more CPU intensive anyways.

From video:
"It's not CPU or GPU constained, but VRAM constrained...It doesn't matter how fast your GPU or CPU is, what matters is how much VRAM you have...This game kinda works counter to every other engine on the planet, really... "

I think this is bullocks. Most games these days are still designed with 2GB VRAM, so for a game that doesn't look as beautiful as most modern releases and struggle on high end gear is just maddening to me.

Yeah, I have a 4770K and a GTX 780 and both of those NEVER go above 65% usage (about 40% per core on CPU), HOWEVER using uncompressed textures sucks up a whopping 2880MB of VRAM. Using compressed textures knocks it down bt about a gigabyte.

SliChillax

From video:

Now you understand why people hate id tech 5 game engine.

Yes but it's a big difference going from a 670 to a 970 in Wolfestein

Yeah, one of the issues I discovered was that the game seems to be optimized for consoles more than PC's because with a controller your turn sensitivity is significantly slower which gives the engine more time to render textures outside of view when turning.

On pc however, you spin around really quickly, which causes the issue to stand out 10 fold when running on comparable settings/specs to what the console relative was using.

I'm just not a fan of the engine because of this.

Now you understand why people hate id tech 5 game engine.

Yep...I certainly do.

I never had much of a problem with Rage but Wolfenstein and The Evil Within had some bizarre performance issues on my i7 + 970. Lots of framerate drops seemingly out of nowhere, not sure how I managed to avoid texture pop in? It was very noticeable with Rage (and an older gfx card at the time). Crazy how that apparently isn't solved even with much better hardware.

SliChillax

Yep...I certainly do.

I mean I would understand the massive vram if the textures actually looked good but every id tech 5 game looks horrible if you look at the textures carefully.

Thankfully, while I can't say much due to NDA, I CAN say that id Tech 6 is MUCH less VRAM intensive and is showing signs of being a VERY well optimized engine.

Yeah I've read about that. Let's hope for the best :)

I mean I would understand the massive vram if the textures actually looked good but every id tech 5 game looks horrible if you look at the textures carefully.

LOL precisely. I'm not really a graphics snob (I still play Doom 1 & 2 without complaints), but when textures are that muddy and inconsistent, it's just insufferable when the engine can't keep up.

efyu_lemonardo

May I have a cookie?

Yeah I've read about that. Let's hope for the best :)

LOL precisely. I'm not really a graphics snob (I still play Doom 1 & 2 without complaints), but when textures are that muddy and inconsistent, it's just insufferable when the engine can't keep up.

Haven't played the new Doom, but the thing to understand about virtual texturing tech is that it doesn't necessarily make for higher fidelity, but rather more diversity. So looking up close for individual pixels in a small piece of a texture isn't a good way to appreciate what the engine is doing. Rather, the opposite should be true: look at an entire room or area to notice much less repeated patterns, or none at all. Granted, level design needs to showcase this for it to be meaningful. If you're game world is full of repeating patterns by nature of its content then you're probably better off with a different engine.

dr_rus

Not really. Depending on the settings you're using you may easily be running out of VRAM on a 670. Wolfenstein is quite easy to push beyond 4GB. The higher the VRAM consumption the more apparent the texture loading will be. System RAM seems to help as well as running the game on a 8GB and 32GB machine shows some difference in how often the textures are pushed out.

Tech5 is very RAM intensive in general. But a modern machine can handle it easily. I've beaten TNO on a 970 with 32GBs of RAM in 2560x1600 and I can't say that texture loading bothered me at all.

Textures can be different or they can be the same. The more the difference is the more VRAM you need for them even if their resolution is the same. This is the main reason why Tech5 textures are somewhat low res - they are mostly unique.

SliChillax

Haven't played the new Doom, but the thing to understand about virtual texturing tech is that it doesn't necessarily make for higher fidelity, but rather more diversity. So looking up close for individual pixels in a small piece of a texture isn't a good way to appreciate what the engine is doing. Rather, the opposite should be true: look at an entire room or area to notice much less repeated patterns, or none at all. Granted, level design needs to showcase this for it to be meaningful. If you're game world is full of repeating patterns by nature of its content then you're probably better off with a different engine.

I realize what the engine is supposed to achieve but I just haven't seen the diversity compared to other games. The drawback outweighed the positive effect it was supposed to have I guess.

id has really gone downhill since quake 3 :(

after the mess that was rage think ill wait awhile on this one for reviews and patches

Well in fairness that hasn't been much in terms of quantity to properly judge them. Doom 3 was a good game in its own right, but consciously or not it felt more like a Half-Life title than something truly Doom like, which Doom 4 (which I'll always call it, stop being stubborn id) looks to do a lot more without being needlessly regressive.

Rage clearly looked like it bit off more than it could chew. Doom, in contrast, looks like it's just trying to achieve the feel of the older titles but with modern sensibilities and engagement.

Some interesting things that were brought up in the new Game Informer article (this time on multiplayer):
  • Apparently when you set your loadout, you can choose what demon you spawn as when you pick up the demon rune; it's not randomized.
  • They compared it to Smash Bros. in that you don't need super-fast reflexes to play the game, you can just jump in and blow the hell out of everything.

It's marketing to console players basically, which will be the majority of the player base sadly. The PC version seems to be afterthought which is really a shame because the PC modding community for doom is really strong and still delivers the goods after 2 decades. Without proper modding tools, the pc version will most likely not have long legs.

Could consoles not handle exterior environments though? How hard are skyboxes to implement?!

Could consoles not handle exterior environments though? How hard are skyboxes to implement?!

I think it's less "Consoles couldn't handle outdoor spaces" as "there's not enough space on the blu ray for these things." Considering the game's using MUCH higher-res resources than RAGE, the size of said assets will, in turn, be MUCH larger. They're probably struggling with disc-space as it is.

Some interesting things that were brought up in the new Game Informer article (this time on multiplayer):
  • Apparently when you set your loadout, you can choose what demon you spawn as when you pick up the demon rune; it's not randomized.
  • They compared it to Smash Bros. in that you don't need super-fast reflexes to play the game, you can just jump in and blow the hell out of everything.
Wtf at the bolded. It's still a competitive shooter...are they suggesting you don't get instarekt like in COD or something, because that's what a TTK higher than -5 seconds will do for you

Demon loadout preference is cool though, and will be a nice way to keep it fresh (as long as it's balanced and you don't see people all sticking to one)

MiguelItUp

[Fugo];193372616 said:
Will Arch-viles be in? Those were my nightmares at the time

Not sure, they haven't said anything about them as of yet. I mean, other DOOM 2 enemies are present, so I wouldn't rule them out. But I guess we'll see.

[Fugo];193372616 said:
Will Arch-viles be in? Those were my nightmares at the time

Would be cool... Have a feeling they will not be a plentiful due to them being notoriously frustrating to some players.

Wtf at the bolded. It's still a competitive shooter...are they suggesting you don't get instarekt like in COD or something, because that's what a TTK higher than -5 seconds will do for you

Demon loadout preference is cool though, and will be a nice way to keep it fresh (as long as it's balanced and you don't see people all sticking to one)

That's exactly what they're suggesting. TTK was about 3.5 seconds for one weapon and 2.8 for swapping.

Yudoken

Honestly I can't see why I even should try out this game, and I'm a big Doom 1, 2 and of course Brutal Doom fan.
I really hope that it would go back to their roots instead of a Doom 3 sequel with the focus of console.

Mr Swine

Banned
Honestly I can't see why I even should try out this game, and I'm a big Doom 1, 2 and of course Brutal Doom fan.
I really hope that it would go back to their roots instead of a Doom 3 sequel with the focus of console.

This is more of a mix between Doom 1/2, Doom 64 and Doom 3 and not solely Doom 3

https://www.reddit.com/r/Doom/comments/42rpaf/doom_modders_check_this/ Somebody just translated this part of the PC Games Magazine article. It says
By the way: The DOOM devs are thinking about providing more complex tools for the active modding scene for the PC gamers sometime. With those tools provided, completly custom campaigns and custom stories are conceivable. At least on the games release, you cannot connect multiple SnapMap-Maps together.

MiguelItUp

The hub has been updated and there's a new article / video focusing more on SnapMap. The thing I'm kind of wondering is if SnapMap created maps only support a maximum of 4 players? I believe multiplayer supports 12, but I think it's strange that Stratton emphasizes on saying 4 rather than "4 or more", etc. Could be looking into it a bit more than necessary. I just like the idea of creating Deathmatch maps for 12 players rather than 4. :(

Ixion

The hub has been updated and there's a new article / video focusing more on SnapMap. The thing I'm kind of wondering is if SnapMap created maps only support a maximum of 4 players? I believe multiplayer supports 12, but I think it's strange that Stratton emphasizes on saying 4 rather than "4 or more", etc. Could be looking into it a bit more than necessary. I just like the idea of creating Deathmatch maps for 12 players rather than 4. :(

SnapMap only allows for up to four players I'm afraid.

That's exactly what they're suggesting. TTK was about 3.5 seconds for one weapon and 2.8 for swapping.
TTK was fabulous in the alpha, just seems like really weird grounds for a Smash Bros comparison. I'd go for something like Timesplitters, or you know....any FPS lol

Ixion

Essentially making the exploration pointless if it is there just for cosmetic/variety purposes.

Exploring will help you finish the levels, so I wouldn't say it's cosmetic. Finding powerful weapons early, finding weapon mods, finding powerups, finding upgrade items ("Argent Cells"), finding story/lore nuggets, etc. It's not like you're encouraged to explore just to check out the decorations. You're encouraged to explore in order to grow more powerful or learn more about the world. And Marty has said that there's a lot of room to grow more powerful if you search hard enough.

I imagine the level design will be similar to E1M2 from the original Doom. If you remember, finishing the level wasn't too complicated, but the player can unlock that whole optional dark maze area that leads to a weapon that can be acquired early (chainsaw). The recent previews have mentioned a bunch of similar sections.

Only four people can play a SnapMap creation at once.

That is very disheartening to hear. What's the incentive of spending tons of time making a map if you can only play 2v2 or (small) FFA. I doubt how critically acclaimed the map-maker will be if 90% of people will never play anything smaller than 3v3.

Ixion

That is very disheartening to hear. What's the incentive of spending tons of time making a map if you can only play 2v2 or (small) FFA. I doubt how critically acclaimed the map-maker will be if 90% of people will never play anything smaller than 3v3.

Single-player and co-op experiences will definitely be the focus. For competitive multiplayer, I agree that it's bit disappointing.

Perhaps iD feels that user created multiplayer maps were never a big thing for Doom anyway.

Last article went up, a Hands on with Snapmap. There's actually a couple interesting tidbits in here that make it sound more promising.

If you auto-populate a level with enemies, and it hits a limit as you go through a space, it’ll actually take those guys and put them to sleep so you don’t see them, and if you come back through it makes them live again, so enemies don’t just disappear. It keeps the action moving with you.

Ignoring the auto-populate bit (assume this would be the same thing if it was manually populated the same amount), this could be really important both for Snapmap and possibly the campaign as well. I was concerned that the main games combat would lock you into killboxes and force you to kill waves of enemies before moving on and now they've gone out of their way to mention a tech feature that implies you can theoretically just run past enemy encounters and possibly have to deal with them later. Levels being clockwork spaces with persistent enemies is a step up from most modern single player shooters, makes me more hopeful for the final game.

It also mentions that there are a ton of props, including crates (everyone's fav), that seem like a way to get around the lack of geometry editing a bit. Spaces partially laid out using custom placed props will probably look silly but that's a huge improvement in gameplay variety over only having static rooms.

Ceadeus

Gold Member
So different than yesterday to please today.

I really feel like they should have make this, plus another Doom release featuring classic game style maps and gameplay to please everyone.

CaU8vQQUcAAHrnW.jpg

Is this the first time we are seeing the cover art?

Top Bottom