• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

DOOM - One Year Later

I'll never understand why people like this Campaign so much.

Surely people can agree that it drags and gets boring real quick ;/

Unnecessary weapon switching all over, which is shadowing one of the game's largest problems.

There is little purpose for the vast majority of the weapons.
Absolute agree. I would have enjoyed it more if it had been half as long. My OCD led to me completing it, but it felt like a major slog.

My only complaint with the campaign was the difficulty curve is backwards. The game starts off hard but once you get some decent weapons (mainly the super shotgun) it becomes a breeze. Each time I start a new file, I have to play smart/conservative for the first few missions and then plow through the rest.

But I thought the length was perfect. The game does a real good job logically progressing each arena. Launching yourself through the air, lobbing grenades in one direction, shooting the gauss cannon in another direction, then switching midair to the assault rifle to soften an imp for a glory kill on your landing makes you feel like a bad ass.

Izuna

Banned
My only complaint with the campaign was the difficulty curve is backwards. The game starts off hard but once you get some decent weapons (mainly the super shotgun) it becomes a breeze. Each time I start a new file, I have to play smart/conservative for the first few missions and then plow through the rest.

It's not only backwards, it peaks at the intro/tutorial.

I know the game is a looker, and is released at a time where we don't have games that have classic gameplay like it, but in direct comparison to what it's derived from, it makes some strange mistakes.

Anustart

Gotta say, when I first got it I found it merely ok to pretty dang good, but nothing orgasmic like most on gaf. I played on hurt me plenty.

Started replaying about a week ago on ultra violence and I'm finding the experience sublime. Enjoying myself 100 times more than I first did.

Kart94

Banned
Definitely one of the best examples of reviving a dead franchise. It is everything Duke Nukem Forever wasn't. Definitely the best shooter of 2016 bar none. Shame that call of dutized Team Fortress 2...i mean Overwatch stole it's thunder.

Nikana

Go Go Neo Rangers!
I'll never understand why people like this Campaign so much.

Surely people can agree that it drags and gets boring real quick ;/

Unnecessary weapon switching all over, which is shadowing one of the game's largest problems.

There is little purpose for the vast majority of the weapons.

Gotta disagree with this entirely. Each weapon had a very unique purpose. Playing on nightmare you couldn't just use two weapons like the easier difficulties. Nightmare is no joke.

Izuna

Banned
Gotta disagree with this entirely. Each weapon had a very unique purpose. Playing on nightmare you couldn't just use two weapons like the easier difficulties. Nightmare is no joke.

I have to disagree entirely here. Playing on Nightmare is, even more, reason to just use DbS and Siege

The ONLY time another weapon is useful are the micro rockets for making bosses die faster.

Then you have Arcade Mode where Stun Bomb and Explosive Shot are essentially only to attacks you will use.

Blueingreen

Best single player FPS campaign of the decade imo bar none, multiplayer was....eh nonetheless the game is one of the better reboots in this industries history.

9/10

It was a pretty good experience, have to say I wasn't as impressed with the "boss battles" though just let me shoot stuff without the patterns!

ajim

Excellent fps gaming. Thus and titanfall 2 really renewed fps gaming for me and how good it actually can be.

I liked Doom 3 better.

It was moody, darker, more serious.

This new DOOM was like the original, true, but it got a bit old just running around really fast blasting everything away wave after wave after wave.

Doom 3 was like a building up of dread feeling.

I bought this game during the last flash sale for $20. But with the work and the backlog, I just haven't had the to time to actually play it. Hopefully I'll get a chance to do that in the coming weeks.

Metal-Geo

BFG Division is the only piece of the soundrack I liked. And seeing as it's the only track I see being constantly shared, I'm starting to believe other people think so as well. :p

It's a really good track

The single player campaign is pretty great. Though admittedly nearing the end I did get somewhat exhausted of its repeating formula: enter a confined space, clear out the demons, move on and repeat. But to the game's credit, killing those demons is a lot of fun. It's reassuring to see id Software still knows how to produce terrific 'gunplay'. Even with RAGE that was certainly an aspect they really nailed.

Multiplayer... eh. Played the beta, didn't care for it. Tried it again after release, didn't care for it. Had they done any singleplayer dlc and I would've bought it. But oh well.

Since its release I've replayed the game only once. And so far have no plans to revisit it again any time soon. But if they're coming with a sequel, I'll be there day 1 again.

Kill3r7

I have to disagree entirely here. Playing on Nightmare is, even more, reason to just use DbS and Siege

The ONLY time another weapon is useful are the micro rockets for making bosses die faster.

Then you have Arcade Mode where Stun Bomb and Explosive Shot are essentially only to attacks you will use.

The gameplay loop might be simple especially if you pair certain power weapons but it is still a ton of fun. I can't remember the last time I had this much fun playing a FPS, maybe Destiny beating VoG on hard but that was more of a team effort. Anyhow, last year was a really good year for shooters. FWIW, TF2 had the best level of any game last year.

I'd say the game's problem is that the weapons don't serve a distinct enough purpose. In the original Doom, controlling space and having the right weapon out was the entire basis of the combat, especially since weapon switching was slow. In Doom 2016, every gun is kind of just a slightly different means of delivering damage. Other than the gauss gun and siege mode, it barely matters what you use against which enemy. You'll think nothing of using a rocket to blow up a single zombie. Things largely come down to hopping in circles and cycling through your weapon. Rocket, gauss, super shotgun, et cetera. I suppose you could say Quake 1 had a similar problem, since that game also had incredibly quick weapon switching. It's hard to emulate the classic style of space control in a 3D setting, since Doomguy was essentially glued to the ground in the original games.

The game is good. I hate the ending. Sick of cliffhanger stuff in Bethesda games.

Has to be. It's how the original Doom ended, and there's a really good chance the next game is going to be Hell on Earth, so might as well set up for it.

XaosWolf

Loved it, just wish it was less about arenas.

It was just progressing, kill room, progressing, kill room. The gunplay is excelent and all that, but Doom is more than that.

My wishes for DOOM 2. Add the other parts of doom with enemy placements and the save the arena stuff for rare occasions and challenges.

The game was my GOTY last year for hitting all the right notes for what I look for in an FPS.

Titanfall 2 was RIGHT behind it though but lost out due to length and OST.

ShowDog

I actually really enjoy the multiplayer in Doom. Only bummer is the goofy Halo vibe and all the silly dancing between matches.

I liked this game but didn't love it. After the third hour or so it got pretty repetitive. Hopefully they find a way to fix that in the sequel. Still think Wolfenstein: TNO is the better shooter of this gen.

good game. good soundtrack.

The Polygon gameplay(er)
doom3copy3bsdp.jpg
Lmao.

I'll finally be starting this soon.

They added an arcade mode? Can that be played straight away or do you have to unlock it first?

Is that how I should play it, first time out?

Particularly when it would have been a perfect opportunity to rectify the repetitive nature of the base game.

Yeah, they should make DLC for people who don't like the game that much instead of people who really like it. Make the gameplay flow and fundamentals incongruous with the rest of the game it's attached to.

c0Zm1c

I liked Doom 3 better.

It was moody, darker, more serious.

This new DOOM was like the original, true, but it got a bit old just running around really fast blasting everything away wave after wave after wave.

Doom 3 was like a building up of dread feeling.

I remember enjoying Doom 3 more too, and for those same reasons. The slower pace didn't hurt at all. The emails and voice messages on various employees' PDAs giving their accounts of the weird goings-on leading up to the invasion was a nice touch, adding some background and additional atmosphere to the game, as well heightening that sense of dread on occasion. It's a better game than many gave it credit I think.

I can't knock the new Doom though. It is really good, but feels more like Quake dressed up as Doom than any of the previous Doom games, not that that's a bad thing. It's arena-like battles are a lot of fun.

Horp

Doom is just awesome.
I remember enjoying Doom 3 more too, and for those same reasons. The slower pace didn't hurt at all. The emails and voice messages on various employee's PDAs giving their accounts of the weird goings-on leading up to the invasion was a nice touch, adding some background and additional atmosphere to the game, as well heightening that sense of dread on occasion. It's a better game than many gave it credit I think.

I can't knock the new Doom though. It is really good, but feels more like Quake dressed up as Doom than any of the previous Doom games, not that that's a bad thing. It's arena-like battles are a lot of fun.
It's Doom 3 thats the odd one out, though. Doom 1 and 2 were fast paced with lots of big arenas that required dodging of projectiles and a super high tempo. I'm really glad Doom 2016 is Doom 1/2 not 3.

I'll finally be starting this soon.

They added an arcade mode? Can that be played straight away or do you have to unlock it first?

Is that how I should play it, first time out?
Although Arcade Mode is immediately available I believe, play the single player campaign the first time around just to get accustomed to the game and the levels. Arcade Mode also lacks the bosses.

I find the game great but exhausting. I can only play it in short bursts. I've had it for about 6 months and haven't finished it though I picked it up recently and I feel like I'm getting close now.

On a technical level I can't find anything wrong with the game, I think the combination of repetitiveness and the high octane feel just makes it wear on me quick.

c0Zm1c

It's Doom 3 thats the odd one out, though. Doom 1 and 2 were fast paced with lots of big arenas that required dodging of projectiles and a super high tempo. I'm really glad Doom 2016 is Doom 1/2 not 3.

Well, as I said, it feels more like Quake to me. That's likely because it and the Quake games could make more of their 3D worlds than the original Doom games could. There's a lot of verticality to the combat, which I don't remember being the case with Doom 1 and what little I played of 2.

teokrazia

Stun grenades abuse and 'medals farming' are easy ways to pump the score in Arcade Mode.

But playing in such a boring and cheap way is definitely not my cup of tea. The gameplay is so good that I wanted to improve my skills and knowledge of the game as much as I could.

https://youtu.be/MEkaTxexWCw

Matthew23

I liked the demo a lot but was kind of turned off by the execution melee kills to regain health mechanic. I guess I'm old fashioned when it comes to my Doom and prefer to let the shotgun do the work. Is it possible for a mediocre player like myself to get through the game without using executions?

valeo

I....didn't like it. Though I'm someone who finds primarily 'dark' games overbearing and not something I want to play; so that probably explains it!

Malcolm9

I really enjoyed Doom 2016, but it still doesn't hold a candle to the originals which I can still replay over and over again with the same enjoyment. On the current one I have to have breaks as it can feel a bit of a chore at times killing the waves of enemies.

I'm actually pretty gutted they haven't ported the Doom Collection over to the PS4. The original shotgun is still the GOAT weapon.

Was pretty awesome. Multiplayer was still missing something for me from becoming truly excellent but overall it was a great experience. Got a key for 40 bucks on Kinguin and I'd say it was well worth the value. I still play online occasionally.

Lucius86

Banned
I listen to the soundtrack in the gym - makes me a beast.

I just remember my sense of relief playing the first few hours of the game - it's okay, they didn't ruin the franchise.

Vasili2K38

For me, Doom 2016 was a eye opener experience, I simply can't stand modern shooters (slow movement, dumbass and slow enemies, ADS, two weapons limit) after playing it. I played the demo when was released in the PS4 and then I got the game. The gameplay, the movement, the weapons, killing demons with THE soundtrack.. OMG. Amazing, simply amazing. I 100% the game two times. And today I play at least two times a week the arcade mode.

ryseing

I liked the demo a lot but was kind of turned off by the execution melee kills to regain health mechanic. I guess I'm old fashioned when it comes to my Doom and prefer to let the shotgun do the work. Is it possible for a mediocre player like myself to get through the game without using executions?

Nope. Executions are essential to the gameplay loop. FWIW I thought they were dumb at first but once everything started clicking I got used to them. Helps that they're very fast.

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.
Nope. Executions are essential to the gameplay loop. FWIW I thought they were dumb at first but once everything started clicking I got used to them. Helps that they're very fast.

Not to mention that you speed them up even further.

Top Bottom