• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

DOOM - One Year Later

Peterthumpa

Still no PS4 PRO support which is a shame. The game could have profited from the console extra power especially if the game already runs at 60 FPS so there is plenty room for improvements.
One of the few games that I'm inclined to say: it doesn't need it. It's already a 60 FPS game and the AA is absurdly good, IQ is pristine.

CrazyHal

I never use the word rad, but can only describe the soundtrack as rad.

FMyyw9h.gif

Demicore

Truly a masterpiece.

However, it seems many things regarding snap maps have been broken for more than five months without a fix in sight, which is a crying shame...

Ganondorfo

They should have called it Doom 4 instead of Doom, there are some people that think that Doom is still the original PC game. Still its an amazing game.

Nikana

Go Go Neo Rangers!
while not a bad game, it is one of the most overrated games I've ever seen on GAF. Halfway through you've pretty much seen everything it has to offer, after that point it becomes a slog and does almost nothing new with regards to encounter design, level design, new gimmicks.

Did we play the same game?

There aren't even any bosses in the distance half, so the second half has all of the new level designs and gimmicks you're asking for.

Pilgrimzero

Very good game though as others have mentioned, got repetitive.

Anytime you entered a large room with power ups you knew you had an arena fight coming

Mr. Tibbs

Fantastic game. While it's disappointing there aren't any plans for singleplayer DLC, at least the team remain committed to supporting the base game. The eventual sequel will be killer.

"We haven't talked about much beyond the DLC, so I can't really go into a lot of detail, unfortunately," Stratton said. "I would love to talk about things that we're working on and banging around and all that kind of stuff. There are a couple of things with multiplayer that we're still working on; we'll probably talk about that at a later time. There are no current plans for any campaign DLC. I don't want to get people's hopes up."

Martin and Stratton are aware of what players want. For now, they're content to leave them hanging. "We really feel like we're in one of the best times ever for Doom and for id," Stratton said. "Whether it's VR, multiplayer, or single-player—we left people wanting more on the campaign. There's worse things than having people want more of your combat."

"We worked hard to leave it that way," Martin added. "It was an objective: to start to build a Doom universe. It's a giant canvas."

"So without saying anything," Stratton rejoined, "we wanted to leave ourselves in a great spot, and we feel like we have."

Raide

Thought the SP was great fun and a crazy throwback to classic Doom. More please!

MP was straight garbage. No wonder it died faster than an e1m1 grunt.

Bronetta

Ask me about the moon landing or the temperature at which jet fuel burns. You may be surprised at what you learn.
Still can't believe it ranked #2 on GAF's GotY awards. It beat Overwatch by a good bit too.

Cyanity

Banned
Best FPS of 2016 for sure, but dang if that filesize doesn't make reinstalling for a second playthrough sting. My SSD only has 150gb free, and DOOM will take up more than half of that space.

DAHGAMING

I love Doom, can't wait for a sequal, the last couple of years have had some good fps games with Wolfensteine, Titanfall 2 and even COD Infinite Warfare seems to have a decent single player so far (3 missions till completion).

I maintain that Doom 2016 has the best FPS campaign I've ever played. Between the level design and monsters and the speed and music and just...man. So fucking good.

Bronetta

Ask me about the moon landing or the temperature at which jet fuel burns. You may be surprised at what you learn.
This is what sold me on the game. It ended up putting my playthrough of UC4 on hiatus, halfway through. I was obsessed with the new DOOM.

Such a good game. My favorite FPS campaign!

DOOM ruined Uncharted 4 for me. I was alternating between the two and every time I'd play UC4 it felt so slow and boring, I had to drag myself through it.

Qassim

DOOM ruined Uncharted 4 for me. I was alternating between the two and every time I'd play UC4 it felt so slow and boring, I had to drag myself through it.

This is what sold me on the game. It ended up putting my playthrough of UC4 on hiatus, halfway through. I was obsessed with the new DOOM.

Such a good game. My favorite FPS campaign!

Yep - was playing Uncharted 4 at the time too - whilst playing DOOM on the PC. Did make it a bit more difficult to enjoy Uncharted.

That video is also the one that sold it for me. Before that, I wasn't in the slightest interested - I saw the initial E3 reveal and just discounted it entirely. This should be used as some sort of case study on how easy it is to misrepresent your game and how disastrous it could be.

DOOM was the best possible game I could have played after Uncharted 4. Shit brought me back from a dark, handhold-filled place.

Chinbo37

This game was awesome. Unfortunately I deleted it the second after finishing as it was crushing my 250 gb ssd.

I really hope for some single player dlc.

leng jai

Fun game for sure but as I've said before vastly overrated for me. Sound mixing bad and the game felt like 4 hours of content stretched into 10+. OP calling the OST one of the best ever is another head scratcher.

Game looked and performed great on PS4, wouldn't mind double dipping on the stellar PC version once it hits $10.

I loved what I played of it but after many regular crashes, I finally had my save corrupted (pc) so that kinda took the wind out of my sails.

My GOTY of 2016 and I was completely surprised at how good it turned out. Loved the original (and all the great FPS games of the 90s) but let's face it, Doom didn't look too promising after the years in developmental hell and other factors. I think the initial reviews kind of undersold the game too so I was pleasantly surprised when I picked it up.

I went back to platinum the game last week, which is the only time I've bothered to platinum something. What a fantastic game from start to finish. Best campaign in god knows how long. The way they tease you with the BFG reveal is one of my favourite moments in gaming too.

Crazy how great the campaign was yet they made that shit multiplayer with a season pass instead of more single player content. Like what the FUCK?

Izuna

Banned
I'll never understand why people like this Campaign so much.

Surely people can agree that it drags and gets boring real quick ;/

Best single player FPS game in a long time. Why? Because it plays like this:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=anrvBD4aTGY

Which is better than pretty much any other single player AAA FPS game in a decade.

Unnecessary weapon switching all over, which is shadowing one of the game's largest problems.

There is little purpose for the vast majority of the weapons.

Top Bottom