• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

DOOM Switch releases November 10

Shiggy

The price hasn't even dropped on the other consoles. Why would this be cheaper when it's still $60 everywhere else, including PC.

Not sure if you are serious. It's $30 even on digital storefronts, at retail it's obviously even less.

The price hasn't even dropped on the other consoles. Why would this be cheaper when it's still $60 everywhere else, including PC.

I think I remember it launched at discounted prices interestingly. I think I got it for $35 or $45 don't remember but it was cheaper at launch in retail.

tkscz

I think I remember it launched at discounted prices interestingly. I think I got it for $35 or $45 don't remember but it was cheaper at launch in retail.

I didn't know this but really wish I was aware of that. I'd have the PC version (but would double dip).

Not sure if you are serious. It's $30 even on digital storefronts, at retail it's obviously even less.

Oh, well I was wrong. Yeah not sure why it's $60 then.

MisterR

FIFA is an odd one. It's missing features, but I'm still kind of surprised at its lackluster performance. I didn't expect massive numbers, but I did expect a bit better than how it appears to be performing.

I do think DOOM and Skyrim will be much better matches for the system, but yeah, it'll be interesting to see. I honestly don't expect huge UK numbers for these games, but I think they'll do quite well in NA.

I think Skyrim will do well. I don't think Doom is going to do much.

Shiggie

Cc9nGvSWoAA-Bpt.jpg

Hoenn Confirmed.

EDarkness

Why can't this have gyro aiming....

There should be a standard toolset on dev kit.

There might be, but I think they didn't want to invest more money into the game so nothing gained when docked and no NS specific features. I don't want to say it's "bare bones", but it's not everything it could be, either. I do hope that Panic Button isn't doing Wolfenstein and they get someone else who will take advantage of things like gyro aiming and HD rumble.

Was disappointed to watch the interview and see that the game is at 30FPS.

I'd expect more from a fast moving action game like this. I'd rather have less visual effects.

Guess I'll probably get this on PS4 whenever I come around to playing it.
Box art is sick though.

The multiplayer situation will be interesting. Will it have voice chat? Will it use Nintendo's app? Will headphone mics work natively?

It's $25 for PS4 on Amazon right now.

OCD Guy

I think Skyrim will do well. I don't think Doom is going to do much.

Skyrim isn’t even going to do well either. Mainstream Nintendo consumer isn’t going to give a shit about it.

I’m looking forward to finding out though.

To be clear though, while I’m negative, I hope I’m completely wrong, as I’d like to get more support from publishers willing to bring their games over but I just can’t see what others are seeing.

I remember when Fifa was announced with Ultimate team included, and all the people saying it would sell like crazy....

MisterR

I think FIFA is a good case, because it's a version that is not like the others and had very little marketing compared to the ACTUAL FIFA 18. Let's just be clear, the NS version is NOT FIFA 18. It's something else, and I think that the NS audience has no need for offshoots of games when the original and full versions of other games are out there. Why settle for less when they could get the full game at the same price? EA thinking they were going to get away with a lesser version of FIFA isn't gonna work.

That could be the case, but then you could say Doom is a year and a half old game that runs at 30 fps instead of 60. So is it an offshoot or a full version? It's an interesting question. Is FIFA less legitimate being same day and date as the other versions but missing some stuff, or is Doom, a very late port with reduced framerate and resolution? Be interesting to see how it plays out sales wise. For me 60 is too steep for a port this late running much less well, but then portability isn't really a big deal for me. I got my Switch for the Nintendo games.

capnjazz

Neo Member
Has there been any word of maybe implementing gyro aiming in the future? I don't really like FPS on console because of the control scheme but I like the way they handled FPS on Wii.

Skyrim isn't even going to do well either. Mainstream Nintendo consumer isn't going to give a shit about it.

I guess it depends on how you define "well". Is it going to sell 5 million units? Nope. Is it going to sell a million or more lifetime and likely meet Bethesda's expectations? Probably.

I can't imagine Bethesda has insane forecasts for any of their games on Switch.

One thing I can predict with certainty is neither of these games is going to light up the charts at launch, particularly in the UK, and the "third parties don't sell on Switch" narrative is going to be very strong, long before we have anywhere close to the full picture.

EDarkness

I remember when Fifa was announced with Ultimate team included, and all the people saying it would sell like crazy....

I'll admit, I was was totally hyped about getting FIFA on the NS, but as more details came out it was clear that this was not FIFA 18 and a lot of things were missing. When it was FIFA 18 missing the Journey, that's cool, but it's missing WAY more than that. They didn't allow for reviews early, no promotion of the game, and no demo. They left folks almost completely in the dark about the game and that's a bad sign. I'm sure it sold okay, but nothing like it could have if they had just ported actual FIFA 18.

We'll see. It didn't work for FIFA, but maybe the Switch audience matches up better with Skyrim and Doom.

I definitely think it matches up better with Skyrim than FIFA, but also helping these titles is the fact that there are no major missing features, basically just Snapmap from DOOM.

Why can't this have gyro aiming....

There should be a standard toolset on dev kit.

I agree, but I don't know how well that would work since you need to implement it different for every different type of game. I'm sure there is some sort of basic toolset for implementing gyro in the API, but maybe it needs to be a bit more comprehensive, yeah.

Skyrim isn't even going to do well either. Mainstream Nintendo consumer isn't going to give a shit about it.

I'm looking forward to finding out though.

To be clear though, while I'm negative, I hope I'm completely wrong, as I'd like to get more support from publishers willing to bring their games over but I just can't see what others are seeing.

I mean, the majority of people who bought a Switch did it for Zelda BotW, a game that was compared more to Skyrim than even to other Zelda games. If people were drawn to the console because of an open world adventure/RPG than they will be more inclined to purchase other open world adventure/RPGs.

That could be the case, but then you could say Doom is a year and a half old game that runs at 30 fps instead of 60. So is it an offshoot or a full version? It's an interesting question. Is FIFA less legitimate being same day and date as the other versions but missing some stuff, or is Doom, a very late port with reduced framerate and resolution? Be interesting to see how it plays out sales wise. For me 60 is too steep for a port this late running much less well, but then portability isn't really a big deal for me. I got my Switch for the Nintendo games.

FIFA Switch is missing features that people love, like playing online with friends. DOOM Switch is literally the exact same single player game, with absolutely no changes outside of visual ones.

There's the difference.

Skyrim isn’t even going to do well either. Mainstream Nintendo consumer isn’t going to give a shit about it.
Uhh, this is Skyrim we're talking about. That game is not niche.

And the Switch's most successful game up to this point is Zelda. I don't even begin to understand why you think the Switch audience would reject Skyrim. The 'Nintendo mainstream audience's stuff sounds like you time warped back to 2008 before making that post, tbh lol. I mean I get your concern, I just don't get your expectations, Skyrim is a beast

OCD Guy

I mean, the majority of people who bought a Switch did it for Zelda BotW, a game that was compared more to Skyrim than even to other Zelda games. If people were drawn to the console because of an open world adventure/RPG than they will be more inclined to purchase other open world adventure/RPGs.

I hope I’m completely off the mark. I’m so happy that a Nintendo console is getting these types of games. I just get pessimistic when I see the performance of multi-platform games so far.

Either way I’m really praying that we get a demo on the eShop. As someone all digital I don’t feel comfortable taking a chance on this until I’ve tried it.

Uhh, this is Skyrim we're talking about. Shit is not niche.

And the Switch's most successful game up to this point is Zelda. I don't even begin to understand why you think the Switch audience would reject Skyrim. The 'Nintendo mainstream audience's stuff sounds like you time warped back to 2008 before making that post, jeez.

Fifa is not niche either. I’d say the same thing about Call of Duty on the Switch too in terms of low sales.

If my Nintendo mainstream comment offended, then that wasn’t my intention so I apologise.

sinonobu

Banned
I think the fact that console launched with an openworld game will help out Skyrim.

I know this is completely anecdotal, and probably isn't the case, the most of Switch owners that I know of had never bought Nintendo Console before.

Most of them are in fact PC owners who had had never owned or moved away from consoles, but the idea of playing vast openworld games like BOTW on the go attracted them.

I hope I’m completely off the mark. I’m so happy that a Nintendo console is getting these types of games. I just get pessimistic when I see the performance of multi-platform games so far.

Either way I’m really praying that we get a demo on the eShop. As someone all digital I don’t feel comfortable taking a chance on this until I’ve tried it.

It was also one of the first games shown off for the system a year ago... Skyrim basically has the full backing of Nintendo's marketing force and is one of the most successful and mainstream games of the past decade. I really don't see it struggling to sell well.

Regarding the bolded, what examples do we have to go on there? Basically just FIFA at this point, right?

And I very much doubt we'll get a demo. Was there ever a Skyrim/Skyrim SE demo for other consoles? I bought it on PC at launch so I definitely wouldn't have seen one.

erikNORML

Neo Member
Can't wait to double dip on this one. Super impressed with everything they've shown so far and Switch is in need of some FPS action.

It will be interesting to see what if any advertising budget goes into DOOM/Skyrim, as pointed out FIFA Switch got basically zero which certainly didn't help it out. I think the Switch user base would be super into the upcoming Bethesda games, but it won't help if only enthusiasts online know they are even releasing.

OCD Guy

It was also one of the first games shown off for the system a year ago... Skyrim basically has the full backing of Nintendo's marketing force and is one of the most successful and mainstream games of the past decade. I really don't see it struggling to sell well.

Regarding the bolded, what examples do we have to go on there? Basically just FIFA at this point, right?

And I very much doubt we'll get a demo. Was there ever a Skyrim/Skyrim SE demo for other consoles? I bought it on PC at launch so I definitely wouldn't have seen one.

Yeah just Fifa (shouldn’t have made it plural). I’m bitter about it, as I really want support to last on here. I have an affection towards Nintendo and would love them to be back on top.

When I mentioned demo I was talking about Doom, we had a demo on consoles, and the hands on with Switch that appeared after the embargo was the demo level so I’d hope we get that on eShop.

EDarkness

Fifa is not niche either. I'd say the same thing about Call of Duty on the Switch too in terms of low sales.

If my Nintendo mainstream comment offended, then that wasn't my intention so I apologise.

FIFA isn't niche, but it's not FIFA 18, which is what EA has been promoting. Skyrim is full Skyrim with all DLC and features. You could say it's missing mod support and that could be a failing of the game, but we'll see how important that is once it's released. If CoD came out and it was EXACTLY the same game as the others, then I think it'll do okay. Gimping the game with missing features and the like just isn't gonna cut it these days.

As an added point, Skyrim Switch Edition is ranked #65 on the all games chart. I'd say that's pretty good and a good indication that folks are looking forward to playing that game.

erikNORML

Neo Member
Yeah just Fifa (shouldn’t have made it plural). I’m bitter about it, as I really want support to last on here. I have an affection towards Nintendo and would love them to be back on top.

When I mentioned demo I was talking about Doom, we had a demo on consoles, and the hands on with Switch that appeared after the embargo was the demo level so I’d hope we get that on eShop.

To a lesser extent Disgaea and LEGO City (and some multiplatform indies), both of which I believe did better on the Switch than other consoles - admittedly these are not big name fantastic examples though.

Fifa is not niche either. I’d say the same thing about Call of Duty on the Switch too in terms of low sales.

If my Nintendo mainstream comment offended, then that wasn’t my intention so I apologise.
Naaah, I noticed that my comment came off wrong after I posted it so I edited. I didn't mean to appear offended or bothered. I can't explain FIFA but I do expect big things from Skyrim, that's all

Ah gotcha, yeah if there were demos for other consoles it would be very nice to see one here. Parity should be the goal in everything for Nintendo.

As for FIFA I really don't think this one performance will make EA shy away from releasing future installments, at least as long as the Switch keeps selling well. If the install base is at 20 million next year then they really can't afford to actually ignore it.

EDarkness

Ah gotcha, yeah if there were demos for other consoles it would be very nice to see one here. Parity should be the goal in everything for Nintendo.

As for FIFA I really don't think this one performance will make EA shy away from releasing future installments, at least as long as the Switch keeps selling well. If the install base is at 20 million next year then they really can't afford to actually ignore it.

Well, I hope the lesson EA takes away from this is that NS owners don't want watered down games. You're right parity should be the goal and I think 2k did the right thing with that. I feel like people can forgive resolution and framerate differences, but can't forgive missing features. In this day and age, that makes sense.

siriocaz

Neo Member
Very laggy? Looked fine to me most of the time, although it does look blurry, no discussion about that. Also, the price is quite high.

Still, I'm more interested in Odyssey and Xenoblade 2, so surely I wouldn't have time to pick up Doom. Probably in 2018, though.

It looks like the PS4 game if I squinted, so that’s impressive at least. Lol

I’m intrigued by this. To those who have played it, how would you rate the game’s accessibility? I’m not an avid FPS player, so I like a campaign that’s varied and a bit forgiving when it comes to checkpoints and such. I enjoyed Gears back in the day, and that’s the vibe I get from this.

Nosgotham

I’m looking forward to finding out though.

To be clear though, while I’m negative, I hope I’m completely wrong, as I’d like to get more support from publishers willing to bring their games over but I just can’t see what others are seeing.

i never bought either but will get both for switch.

Mory Dunz

We'll see. It didn't work for FIFA, but maybe the Switch audience matches up better with Skyrim and Doom.

I don't know if the FIFA story is wrriten in stone yet...

that being said, I'm pretty hesitant on DOOM and Skyrim.

When I think surefire Switch hits, I think Lego, Sonic, Yooka-oh wait

boiled goose

good with gravy
Was disappointed to watch the interview and see that the game is at 30FPS.

I'd expect more from a fast moving action game like this. I'd rather have less visual effects.

Guess I'll probably get this on PS4 whenever I come around to playing it.
Box art is sick though.

The multiplayer situation will be interesting. Will it have voice chat? Will it use Nintendo's app? Will headphone mics work natively?

It's $25 for PS4 on Amazon right now.

Haha. It won't have voicechat.

Yep. Love it, but it’s also stressful.

Why are you stressed?

Just buy and play things when you have time. Not gonna suddenly disappear

Renna Hazel

...why not?

Is there a precedent for doom and skyrim games selling for them? Are pre-orders lighting up? I don't see why I'd be confident it'd do well. It might though.

I can't speak for Skyrim since it looks really boring but Doom is an arcadey style shooter. I think Nintendo fans will respond to that more than realistic sports games.

erikNORML

Neo Member
...why not?

Is there a precedent for doom and skyrim games selling for them? Are pre-orders lighting up? I don't see why I'd be confident it'd do well. It might though.

Only thing I have to go on is Amazon Best Sellers, DOOM is now in the top 100 and saw a 621% increase in sales in the last 24 hours with the release date announcement. Skyrim has been in and out of the top 100 for the past couple months. Not sure how much that really ends up correlating with total sales though.

Even if FIFA 18 Switch didn't have features missing, it's still a different game to FIFA 18 PC.PS4/XBO. A good game, but not as good as the other versions in my opinion.

EDarkness

...why not?

I thought you were talking about hesitant to buy either game.

Even if FIFA 18 Switch didn't have features missing, it's still a different game to FIFA 18 PC.PS4/XBO. A good game, but not as good as the other versions in my opinion.

That's the thing, really. It's a different game, and I think that hurts it quite a bit.

Loved DOOM on PC. I don't own it, but played it through family sharing. I always said I'd buy it when I could since I enjoyed that much.

$60 feels too much for a game I've already played on a good PC, though, and so close to Mario, and I haven't even gotten TEW2 yet...

Mory Dunz

Only thing I have to go on is Amazon Best Sellers, DOOM is now in the top 100 and saw a 621% increase in sales in the last 24 hours with the release date announcement. Skyrim has been in and out of the top 100 for the past couple months. Not sure how much that really ends up correlating with total sales though.
I actually went to amazon after I posted to check out the ranking lol.
Looks decent for now.

I thought you were talking about hesitant to buy either game.

oh, ha. Well, I definitely won't get either, but I barely buy games these days anyway. Only have ARMS, and Zelda, (and octopath)

I can't speak for Skyrim since it looks really boring but Doom is an arcadey style shooter. I think Nintendo fans will respond to that more than realistic sports games.

why are we still describing Switch owners as this strange entity built up entirely of 'Nintendo fans'

it's like I own every platform this generation
i play most games on PC
and yet

because I've got this here Switch

that means I'm a 'Nintendo fan'
and 'Nintendo fans' 'don't buy X game'

Because I think a large majority of Switch owners are Nintendo fans.

hahahaha

let me rephrase that, I guess.

Why is it assumed that Switch owners are totally separate from other gaming demographics? People talk about the Switch and its users like it's the damn Wii and it's been bugging me.

hahahaha

let me rephrase that, I guess.

Why is it assumed that Switch owners are totally separate from other gaming demographics? People talk about the Switch and its users like it's the goddamn Wii and it's been bugging me.

It's always seemed to be this way, as far back as I can remember at least. Like these 'Nintendo fans' live in a bubble and don't interact with other gaming platforms.

Top Bottom