• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dota 2 Beta Thread: [Brewmaster]

Status
Not open for further replies.

Drkirby

Corporate Apologist
Looking at the rules, is it possible to have a tie?

Edit: A 2 hour game? Is THAT even possible, without trying to intentionally keep the creeps from pushing?

deleted

Played another game with Lich, which went very good. Didn't die until the end of the game. I was killed by Riki - I don't know yet how to use the dust properly, luckily the Riki player wasn't very good. I bought some, but when I used it, he wasn't around. If I hit him, he'll stay visible?

Then I tried Venomancer again, but I just don't get him. For me his attacks lack some impact. Its fun to see your enemies constantly loosing health, but I keep dying. He is so low on health and I'm harassed all the time + I have to get near to use the ulti.

Drkirby

Corporate Apologist
Useful fact: If soul ring will give you more mana then you can have, it will temporarily raise your mana pool to make room for the excess.

Valygar

Useful fact: If soul ring will give you more mana then you can have, it will temporarily raise your mana pool to make room for the excess.

I know this is not LoL, but... in Dota 2 or Dota, do we have a hero/skill/item that scales with mana? I haven't seen anything, just curious.

Exuro

I've doing a lot of practice with the bots. Is it just me or is Crystal Maiden's AI set to feed? I swear every practice match I try out that has her has her death at 10+ with nearly no kills. Also is there a way to set bots?

Archie

Second-rate Anihawk
I've doing a lot of practice with the bots. Is it just me or is Crystal Maiden's AI set to feed? I swear every practice match I try out that has her has her death at 10+ with nearly no kills. Also is there a way to set bots?

Sounds like the AI simulates human play just fine.

Procarbine

Forever Platinum
Played another game with Lich, which went very good. Didn't die until the end of the game. I was killed by Riki - I don't know yet how to use the dust properly, luckily the Riki player wasn't very good. I bought some, but when I used it, he wasn't around. If I hit him, he'll stay visible?

Then I tried Venomancer again, but I just don't get him. For me his attacks lack some impact. Its fun to see your enemies constantly loosing health, but I keep dying. He is so low on health and I'm harassed all the time + I have to get near to use the ulti.

Veno is a hero that relies on knowing exactly how strong you are early in the game. With early Gale/Passive he can trade autos with just about anyone up to level 5 and come out ahead. His ability to dominate melee heroes early on is one of his big strengths, and you need to maximize it. Against ranged heroes you need to land a longer distance gale in lane before auto attacking them,that way you can back out if things get hairy. I skip toxin ward early in favor of gale/passive.

Yeah, his HP pool is lacking early on, so you have to watch out for double stuns, and you have to get tanky items. Treads, Magic Wand, Basilius, and Vanguard early, get a cloak if they have magic, and then go from there. I've been picking up Ags, but I don't know how efficient that is. In order to keep your mana up you need to be able to switch your treads to int when you cast, and then back to strength to survive. Switch quickly to agi later on in the fight, use the magic wand, and then back to int or strength and you've got mana to cast again.

SamVimes

Wow, Juggernaut is just unstoppable if farmed enough. Today in a 4v5 that lasted a little more than an hour we had an amazing comeback and i could easily take 1v3 Weaver, Kunkka and Huskar.

Venfayth

Will concede/surrender be an option when the game is live?

I understand the point of the beta is primarily to test, and therefore long games are beneficial, but when the game is 30-5 25 minutes in, I'd rather get in another game before work than struggling for another 10-15 minutes since it seems like games last a long time even if it's "over".

Valygar

Will concede/surrender be an option when the game is live?

I understand the point of the beta is primarily to test, and therefore long games are beneficial, but when the game is 30-5 25 minutes in, I'd rather get in another game before work than struggling for another 10-15 minutes since it seems like games last a long time even if it's "over".

There is a long post in the dev forums about this. All valve has said officially is:

If a significant number of games end prematurely for any reason, we believe it’s fundamentally unfulfilling for everyone.

I don't know, but I hope there is some kind of concede, even if it's there with serious restrictions. Otherwise in obvious slaughters people will just sit up in the fountain.

Venfayth

There is a long post in the dev forums about this. All valve has said officially is:

I don't know, but I hope there is some kind of concede, even if it's there with serious restrictions. Otherwise in obvious slaughters people will just sit up in the fountain.

Bleh.. That's pretty disappointing.

Kapura

Banned
Concession isn't prematurely ending. It's like dropping the bottom of the ninth because the team playing it has already won.

Guesong

People sitting in fountains because they're getting smashed with 99.9 % chance of losing is also prematurely ending, it's just not made official and it wastes time for everyone involved.

Just makes it so that the vote requires 5/5 votes on all time (not decreasing like HoN) if anything, why force people to play it out if they don't want to...

Card Boy

Banned
People sitting in fountains because they're getting smashed with 99.9 % chance of losing is also prematurely ending, it's just not made official and it wastes time for everyone involved.

Just makes it so that the vote requires 5/5 votes on all time (not decreasing like HoN) if anything, why force people to play it out if they don't want to...

No 4 out of 5 means majority rules. Ef 5 out of 5 votes. In HoN most of the time you just have this one troll just voting no for the hell of it. Why should 4 other people suffer because of 1 troll?

Also it counts as an abandonment if you sit AFK for too long. So you have to dick around even though you're not having fun anymore, unless you want to eventually be thrown in the leaver pool.

I mean, sometimes I still have fun, even when I'm getting steamrolled. But other times I get steamrolled twice as hard. Those times... are not fun. They are miserable.

Guesong

No 4 out of 5 means majority rules. Ef 5 out of 5 votes. In HoN most of the time you just have this one troll just voting no for the hell of it. Why should 4 other people suffer because of 1 troll?

I've already had a situation in HoN where me (and 3 other teammates) thought the game was lost (we had just gotten annihilated to a Forsaken Archer) but the last person (Thorinbei!) refused to concede, saying we still had a chance.

We actually won the game. I think that's the sort of stuff Valve might be trying to prevent right now. A 5/5 concede system would not be optimal considering the possible trolls, but I'd rather take that that no concede system at all.

Archie

Second-rate Anihawk
There needs to be a concede feature, but I want it implemented so that people don't automatically give up at 15-20 minutes. I've had several games turn around that wouldn't have played out with a concede.

Ferrio

Banned
I really don't see the controversy over a concede. Who are we protecting with keeping it out of the game? There are those games that turn around, but they are so far and few in between. Also they're usually due to the other team just completely becoming idiotic/overconfident/bad end game heros, so any serious opponent isn't going to let you comeback from such a horrible beginning. You could fit in two more wins in a time a drawn out loss could be.

It still counts as a loss, so if people are willing to have the ding against their record so let them.

I really don't see the controversy over a concede. Who are we protecting with keeping it out of the game? There are those games that turn around, but they are so far and few in between, and usually do to the other team just completely becoming idiotic/overconfident/bad end game heros. You could fit in two more wins in a time a drawn out loss could be.

It still counts as a loss, so if people are willing to have the ding against their record so let them.

I have been that team on more than one occasion. It's hilarious. :D

Card Boy

Banned
There needs to be a concede feature, but I want it implemented so that people don't automatically give up at 15-20 minutes. I've had several games turn around that wouldn't have played out with a concede.

Why do you care if people give up at 15-20minutes? It's their choice, 4 out of 5 = majority rules, even if its the wrong decision and games theoretically turn around. 90% of the time they don't and its wasting everyones time.

Cheeto

Why do you care if people give up at 15-20minutes? It's their choice, 4 out of 5 = majority rules, even if its the wrong decision and games theoretically turn around. 90% of the time they don't and its wasting everyones time.

People who think their time is being wasted are free to leave the game.

Ferrio

Banned
People who think their time is being wasted are free to leave the game.

Seriously? Well first of all they do, which really doesn't help the situation too much other than their share of gold/items. Even then it's an uphill battle.

I don't see how any who's played a ton of dota could argue against a concede. I've been in too many matches that the enemy team would not end the game, yet due to the stigma of leaving games had to stick around and just watch them circle jerk for an hour.

Ikuu

Had his dog run over by Blizzard's CEO
Most people have no idea when a game is over and will just call a concede vote if they lose a team fight.

shintoki

sparkle this bitch
I've already had a situation in HoN where me (and 3 other teammates) thought the game was lost (we had just gotten annihilated to a Forsaken Archer) but the last person (Thorinbei!) refused to concede, saying we still had a chance.

We actually won the game. I think that's the sort of stuff Valve might be trying to prevent right now. A 5/5 concede system would not be optimal considering the possible trolls, but I'd rather take that that no concede system at all.

For every one of those, there are 9 others.

It should just be 4/5, 20 minutes in. 3/5 at 30 minutes in. I wouldn't even mind 4/5 at 15 minutes.

They shouldn't be pandering to the 1 out of the 5 that wants to stick around.

Ikuu

4/5 @ 20 is horrible, very few games are decided at this point. You also have to realize that as more people get in, and the MM system gets tweaked, you're going to have fewer stomps as the skill gaps between players should decreases.

Ferrio

Banned
Yes, and maybe one of the reasons you want to concede is because one guy in your team is afk.

Or purposely trolling, blatant feeding (running straight into enemy's base sorta crap).

Even in dota 1 when that'd happen people would just agree to all quit. Can't do that with a ranking system...

Ikuu

Yes, and maybe one of the reasons you want to concede is because one guy in your team is afk.

People who AFK would be marked as such and would get an abandon, and the vote would be 4/4 to reflect this.

Or purposely trolling, blatant feeding (running straight into enemy's base sorta crap).

Just report them and they get thrown into the leaver pool/banned.

bluestuff

There really is no concede option planned??

Are they serious?

The last 5 of my games were lost after the first 25mins, with the remaining 15mins being farmed by the other team, with usually one of our team mates still putting up a fight like we had a chance against a free farmed void/antimage/hard carry, thus leading to the other team delaying the game further.

When they implement K/D/A into the game(if they do?), fountain farming will be further amplified. It's the RTS equivalent of needing your entire base to be destroyed in order to count as a loss. I really hope they reconsider.

Aesthet1c

I think saying you can sometimes come back from what appears to be a horrible loss is a terrible argument to make.

It doesn't matter if you can still win the game. If your team decides to call it quits they should have that option. At the very least it should be all 5 vote after 30 min.

I care because I like long drawn-out really down to the wire games. You know, some of us actually enjoy the game even if we are seemingly losing.

Phandy

Atleast give us something like a 5/5; 30-40 minute concede.
If 5 people on one team, after 40 minutes, think they should concede. They are probably right, and deserve to be able to end it.

I don't see the problem with adding a concede. It's either add a concede option or sit in fountain and alt tab back in every now and then to prevent AFK/leaver status.

I know which one sounds better. HoN has some good ideas regarding the concede. 5/5 at 15 minutes, 4/5 at 30. Not sure what comes after that.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom