• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dota 2 Beta Thread: [Brewmaster]

Status
Not open for further replies.

Haly

One day I realized that sadness is just another word for not enough coffee.
I don't miss him at all. Boring ass hero. At least Drow can farm until she becomes fun to play.

I don't miss him at all. Boring ass hero. At least Drow can farm until she becomes fun to play.

I can't actually speak to anything, but on paper he already sounds a billion more fun than Drow, simply because he's melee. It's inherently more fun to me to hit hard as a melee, even if there's not a lot to the hero. 's why I actually like Skeleton King, even though there's really nothing to him, but I hate Drow.

But I guess that's why there are fifty bajillion different heroes in the game.

(I also say all this while recognizing that Drow is amazing in the right hands. I just don't have any desire to be those hands.)

kazabi

400 damage nuke with 8 seconds cooldown. He's so fun to play on lane together with someone with a ranged stun or good slow. With a blink dagger you can take down supports so fast and still tank up a lot of damage with his massive str. But ye, his ulti is just as boring as drow's, but it's nice to have that bonus hp since you'll be taking damage from double edge.

n0b

(EVEN THOUGH I NEEDED TO FARM BEFORE I ENGAGED IN TEAM FIGHTS, BUT NOOOOO).

Dragon Knight is one of the characters that has natural team fight potential, you don't NEED to farm before engaging, even though Dragon Knight is one of the harder carries in terms of how well he scales off of good farm.

(I also say all this while recognizing that Drow is amazing in the right hands. I just don't have any desire to be those hands.)

Roaming Drow+VS? :n

Tenck

Dragon Knight is one of the characters that has natural team fight potential, you don't NEED to farm before engaging, even though Dragon Knight is one of the harder carries in terms of how well he scales off of good farm.

Roaming Drow+VS? :n

Tough to survive against nukes without my BKB. As long as I get that, I am set to pop my ult, pop BKB, and run head first into the battle. But without it it's a bit tough to really stay in the team fight since I am top priority for the enemy team.

MKAllDay

Does anyone else have to deal with incredibly high pings more often then not? I'm talking about pings of 300+. Dota 2 is the only game that I have this problem with. The delay when my ping goes way up is very noticeable compared to my ping (on a good day) of <50 and the game basically becomes unplayable. This occurs in both US West and East.

I can't play nearly as much as I want to as I am at the mercy of this apparent disagreement between my ISP and dota 2.

Has anyone else experienced this/know a resolution to this issue?

I went 8/2/8 with Lich at the first half of the game and we were pushing towers decently. Unfortunately, due to the lack of hard carries and the game drawing out, the other team's Skeleton King and Antimage got uber farmed up and we lost those late game team fights.... Ended up going 10/10/14...

Sibylus

Banned
Storm Spirit is a really bad choice for a beginner. Squishy, and you have to stun people whilst flying across the map in order to get good damage combos off. And if you don't get a lot of farm to get your intelligence, mana regen, and survivability up (Black King Bar, Sheepstick, Orchid, Bloodstone, etc), lategame will be very painful for you. Try heroes like Lich and Tidehunter to start with.

Locked in on Bane and/or Assassin Day.

Finally played my first game of DOTA yesterday. Holy crap this game is hard. A friend of mine was doing his best to explain the mechanics, but I know deep inside he was raging I wasn't catching on all the mechanics. Any good guides out there for a DOTA 2 noob?

Low Tier
Finally played my first game of DOTA yesterday. Holy crap this game is hard. A friend of mine was doing his best to explain the mechanics, but I know deep inside he was raging I wasn't catching on all the mechanics. Any good guides out there for a DOTA 2 noob?

http://www.playdota.com/guides/welcome-to-dota-you-suck

Although I don't agree with about 30% of what he says, it's still a good guide for beginners. Enjoy your grueling journey.

SamVimes

God sometimes i fucking hate pubs: today i had to buy courier as Shadow Fiend mid, got insulted by Storm Spirit when i told him that arcane are bad on him, had to compete with Omni (in my team) for runes and he didn't even have bottle.
I still got first blood and i was dominating the hell out of Bloodseeker (he got like 10 cs at 10 minutes) but at 15:00, after we lose our second tower Omniknight calls gg, says team is noob and dcs, eartshaker just afked on fountain instead.

You can imagine how it went from there.

Also, technically, since this is the week they'll (probably) push out the test client, there won't even be any new heroes in the regular client. Oh no! ):

I hear this a lot on reddit. What is the source for this?

From what I've read on the test client they've said it will always be one week ahead of the regular client, and when it gets updated the old client will be updated with the test client's patch. In the two news posts they talked about it coming out they haven't said anything about not updating the current patch on regular client for the first week that the test client comes out.

So lets say current version is 1.0, today's update will be 1.1, test server will be 1.2, next week 1.2 will be rolled to live, and 1.3 rolled onto test server. This is how I understand it.

Ikuu

Had his dog run over by Blizzard's CEO
The whole point of the test client is to test changes before they go into the 'retail' client, so I'd expect them to add OD to Tournament Mode and maybe some minor bug fixes for retail and then you'll get all the new content in the Test client. Otherwise they'll have the retail client that has new content that needs to be fixed, but the test client is already a version ahead of that.

JustinBB7

The whole point of the test client is to test changes before they go into the 'retail' client, so I'd expect them to add OD to Tournament Mode and maybe some minor bug fixes for retail and then you'll get all the new content in the Test client. Otherwise they'll have the retail client that has new content that needs to be fixed, but the test client is already a version ahead of that.

What about all the other new heroes then? We got those without a week in the test client. We're still in a beta, it's just so bug free people see it as a done game for some reason.

Ikuu

From what I understand they're having a stable and test client, they patch the test first and then they update the stable a week after with the fixed test client. It doesn't make much sense to release new content on the stable version and also the test version, they then have two different versions of the game that need to be tested and have the bugs fixed.

It makes much more sense to just release the test client and have no stable update for a week, and then starting next week it's into the properly update schedule. After last weeks complete fuck up with the illusions and repick/random gold bug it's looking like a good change.

MightyKAC

Just got my invite today and it's installing now.

Never played any MOBA games before this one so I think I'll be doing a lot of reading up before I jump into my first match. Lucky for me there are a ton of resources on GAF and the internet as a whole so it shouldn't take me too long to get up to speed.

Till then DOTA gaf see you soon and I hope to be getting a game or two in shortly when I'm not such a MOBA noob. :p

Haly

If they don't give us the test client after 2 weeks of no updates, tables will be flipped.

OR.

Bane/PA/TA simultaneous release would be fine too.

Phandy

So whats everyone going to be playing?
Are we just going to keep playing on the test client to get the new heroes?

They must be going open beta or something soon. It seems dumb to split your beta into 2 betas. If not open beta, they are releasing soon or something.
It just seems like something they didnt need to do until close to release/ob.

God sometimes i fucking hate pubs: today i had to buy courier as Shadow Fiend mid, got insulted by Storm Spirit when i told him that arcane are bad on him, had to compete with Omni (in my team) for runes and he didn't even have bottle.
I still got first blood and i was dominating the hell out of Bloodseeker (he got like 10 cs at 10 minutes) but at 15:00, after we lose our second tower Omniknight calls gg, says team is noob and dcs, eartshaker just afked on fountain instead.

You can imagine how it went from there.

Yeah I've got to say that can be one of the most frustrating things about DotA (or HoN). I had a game yesterday where I dominated Zeus mid with DP and ganked both lanes, double killing once and getting at least a kill from the other two. However, I couldn't stop pretty much every lane from feeding in between, and the other team's players just outfarmed and outplayed ours in each of those lanes. It later turned out our only carry, an Ursa, was 0-7 and was completely new. He kept saying "game was bugged I could only pick 3 heroes"...because it was SD mode. Game loss, obviously. Valve really needs to do better at separating these new players from others...a HoN-style PSR system would work wonders.

So whats everyone going to be playing?
Are we just going to keep playing on the test client to get the new heroes?

They must be going open beta or something soon. It seems dumb to split your beta into 2 betas. If not open beta, they are releasing soon or something.
It just seems like something they didnt need to do until close to release/ob.

My guess is that pretty much all players will move to the test client, and pretty much the only matches that will be played on the stable one are competitive ones. Also, the fact that we've just had two people post on here about getting invites probably means open beta isn't coming for awhile yet.

Haly

I'll be playing on test as long as its stable and there isn't some game breaking bug milk keeps exploiting to win.

Insured

Test client for new stuff, if there's gamebreaking problems there's the stable client to play on while waiting for the issues to be fixed. Stable client for competitive games. Sounds good to me.

Now, if they release more "work-in-progress" heroes without sounds or proper icons or stuff like that on the test client, then I don't know who will want to play where. But from what I understand, they'll use the test client for an extra layer of testing before going on the main client to avoid issues like... Well, last week.

JustinBB7

Think I'll keep playing stable client, so I won't split my total playtime and to play the most bug free. I usually don't play the new hero(es) anyway. So I can wait the week.

I wonder if your Dota 2 profile will be the same on both? W/L ratio etc. I guess it will be.

Ikuu

Considering they've only had a few major bugs (illusion, buyable aegis, and the alchemist bug) I'll just play on Test, unless they start releasing some really early content.

Finalow

ok I tried some heroes against normal bots.

sniper: sucks =/, I mean the Q ability sucks and he can only kill with normal attack or the ulti, I thought he was a little better.

zeus: late game I killed a lot thanks to his ulti, I finished with 16 - 10 or so, he's nice but not too good at early game, right?

two heads dragon (dont remember the name): he's a tank or what? 'Cause when i use all my spells on someone he NEVER dies, not even close. so poor damage. dunno.

now I'm gonna try Lich and SK, SK seems very very easy since it's only a QQQQQQQ.
btw it's a shit playing with bots, some are really dumb. =|

ok I tried some heroes against normal bots.

sniper: sucks =/, I mean the Q ability sucks and he can only kill with normal attack or the ulti, I thought he was a little better.

zeus: late game I killed a lot thanks to his ulti, I finished with 16 - 10 or so, he's nice but not too good at early game, right?

two heads dragon (dont remember the name): he's a tank or what? 'Cause when i use all my spells on someone he NEVER dies, not even close. so poor damage. dunno.

now I'm gonna try Lich and SK, SK seems very very easy since it's only a QQQQQQQ.
btw it's a shit playing with bots, some are really dumb. =|

here some noob advice from one noob to another, don't play carry until you learn the mechanics of the game because as a carry it is very important to learn last hitting, combo timing and item builds. Play as a support you don't need to do any of that, but you need to learn ward positions, counter ward, crowd control setups and how to survive a team fight.

If you really have to play a no skill dumb head play Anti-Mage

Kapura

Banned
here some noob advice from one noob to another, don't play carry until you learn the mechanics of the game because as a carry it is very important to learn last hitting, combo timing and item builds. Play as a support you don't need to do any of that, but you need to learn ward positions, counter ward, crowd control setups and how to survive a team fight.
yyeeesssssss

If you really have to play a no skill dumb head play Anti-Mage
there is plenty of time later in life to be a scum hero picker. u dun need AM to win.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom