• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dota 2 Beta Thread: [Brewmaster]

Status
Not open for further replies.

Low Tier
The trick is not to memorize every single attack animation, obviously, but be able to readjust your last hitting/animation cancelling instincts within the first minute or so.

You should begin practicing last hitting on someone with a fast animation, like AM, Slar, or Dazzle, then eventually move to slower and slower ones like CM, ES, or Drow as you get more comfortable. The ultimate test of last hitting is Lina, with her whopping 0.75 seconds attack animation (not including travel time).

Try Techies fool.

Uriah

Anyone had an issue where the game constantly minimizes, even if you continue to click the window? Lost a game because it happened earlier.

JustinBB7

Played 2 AMAZING matches today. I'm almost done learning all the heroes, first game I was Necrolyte and my friend was Doom. Our team fed so hard, our Shadow Shaman died like 10 times in 15 minutes. We had to defend like crazy, we held them off, SS went suicidal again and kept pushing towers by himself, which worked for some reason and he got barracks (and then fed some more of course).

At the end both the ancients were exposed, 3/4 of us died, and we had to defend, we held them off again, and pushed back 2 times and finally got it. What a fucking game that was, jesus christ!

And just now we had a game where I was Warlock, friend was Doom again, we had a Drow on mid who bought a hyperstone first (and nothing else) then went to build Boots of travel and Mjollnir and nothing else besides that + feeding. They had a beastmaster at level 22 while we were all around 15/16/17. And again we came back and won with a miracle. With a lot of help from our Dark Seer who had Agh Scepter.

Really fun games, actually am tired from it, specially the first one.

Post some match IDs for these epic games so we can watch the replays :|

The first one was the best one: MatchID: 6449318

Finalow

it's me or Omni ulti is pretty much imba? I mean in teamfights he will rape you with that ulti if is used correctly.

Play some bot matches. Learn these things:

How to last hit
How to deny
Map awareness
Figure out what item does what
Figure out the types of heroes (Initiator, carry, support, etc etc)

Then, find a few heroes that fit your playstyle, and learn their roles. Example: Don't last hit in the lane if you are Lich and you are with a carry. Harass the enemies, deny (with both his E and by pressing a on 40% or less ally creeps)

And learn how to use his ult. Also keybind your inventory items, as they are defaulted to the numpad for some weird reason.
I can't go past 10-15 with deny and that's 'cause I need to push A.
and damn, the right click deny here works only for one game but it's so damn useful. =/

Tenck

this is bullshit now. I was 19 wins - 22 loss now 19 and 27 'cause people in pub are retards.
one leave the game before it even begins, someone else ingage 3 enemis alone like "I'm gonna feed them". bullshit.

and btw, it's me or SS k/d ratio sucks? I mean everytime I ingage a teamfight they always focus on me when I grab and of course someone will steal the kill from the grab.

I don't want to sound like an asshole, but just stop it with the W/L ratio whining. As a new player your top priority is learning the game. Even if you lose it doesn't mean you can't learn anything.

Has anyone been having issues connecting to the "Dota2 network"? I just won a game and when I left after the score displayed it started saying that it was trying to reconnect to the game, which was weird, we had just won, the game was over. It was stuck on that so I quit dota2 and reopened it, now it just sits there trying to connect.

Exuro

Has anyone been having issues connecting to the "Dota2 network"? I just won a game and when I left after the score displayed it started saying that it was trying to reconnect to the game, which was weird, we had just won, the game was over. It was stuck on that so I quit dota2 and reopened it, now it just sits there trying to connect.
Steam appears to be down, at least it is for me.

Macattk15

Same problem.

Haly

One day I realized that sadness is just another word for not enough coffee.
and damn, the right click deny here works only for one game but it's so damn useful. =/
Believe it or not, most longtime DOTA players still use force attack to deny. 10-15 denies is fine during the laning phase, unless you're talking overall. The need for denying decreases as the game goes on, it's not uncommon to end the game with only 20-30 denies.

Volodja

I have the opposite situation, I can only attack using A+Left Click, even enemies. In around 10 matches of Dota 2 I think I haven't attacked a single time using the right click.

Rinku

Banned
Believe it or not, most longtime DOTA players still use force attack to deny. 10-15 denies is fine during the laning phase, unless you're talking overall. The need for denying decreases as the game goes on, it's not uncommon to end the game with only 20-30 denies.

I still use 'A' to deny :D

Haly

One day I realized that sadness is just another word for not enough coffee.
I still frantically click the ground in front of a creep I want to kill, instead of mashing the 'S' key like these whippersnappers.

Finalow

I believe it for sure, it's just that I'm not used to it and the right click is a lot better. (for me, at least)
yeah 15-20 (if I'm lucky actually) during the laning phase but after that I never deny. =|

I don't want to sound like an asshole, but just stop it with the W/L ratio whining. As a new player your top priority is learning the game. Even if you lose it doesn't mean you can't learn anything.
I was asking to myself "the fuck I learned during this fail games ended in a loss" and the answer is "nothing." Only that I suck with SS.

I mean, like I said before my k/d ratio sucks just 'cause when I use W people focus on me and of course I die but I don't get the kill 'cause when you grab usually all your team will attack the enemy grabbed.

Finalow

the game is balanced around counterpicking. his ult does jack shit against magic damage and aoe is particularly good against it.
so here is the dumb question: which heroes have good aoe attacks? A lot of times during the Omni ulti I did nothing to enemies, and not only me but all my team.

Deadly

I had this happen to me but when I started dota2. Restart steam and it worked for me.

Guesong

Ugh.

Every time I try them (and I'm ashamed to say I use them way too much), my hatred in the bots is renewed to new heights. The bots are fucking awful, retarded pieces of AI, worse even than the most dumpster tier player.

New players, skip them entirely. They don't ward. They don't initiate. They don't even go where you ping them to go, and they use fucking asinine laning tactics that will make you want to rip your graphic card off.

Thought I could use them to try some builds out, nope. Forget it. Some poor matchmaking team will have to suffer my try at Sand King middle now.

Epix

I suck so bad but I still enjoy it. I think I have a major movement impediment problem. I see two teammates pushing the top so I run up there to help. When I get there they've split and I get ganked by a couple guys. Seems to happen all the time. It's like I'm not doing the hit and run type constantly on the move thing my team is doing and rather I'm trying to push lanes or help people (only to my untimely demise).

Advice?

Omni is going to be worst off once they put in shadow demon. Purge ult insures that whatever target you want dead will be dead.

Invoker, Pugna, OD are all good counters to omni.

I suck so bad but I still enjoy it. I think I have a major movement impediment problem. I see two teammates pushing the top so I run up there to help. When I get there they've split and I get ganked by a couple guys. Seems to happen all the time. It's like I'm not doing the hit and run type constantly on the move thing my team is doing and rather I'm trying to push lanes or help people (only to my untimely demise).

Advice?

Part of this is a map awareness issue. Part of this is your teammates not communicating. Also, are you taking advantage of portals? Take advantage of buying TP's at the side shops to get from one side of the map to the other.

Calidor

Ugh.

Every time I try them (and I'm ashamed to say I use them way too much), my hatred in the bots is renewed to new heights. The bots are fucking awful, retarded pieces of AI, worse even than the most dumpster tier player.

New players, skip them entirely. They don't ward. They don't initiate. They don't even go where you ping them to go, and they use fucking asinine laning tactics that will make you want to rip your graphic card off.

Thought I could use them to try some builds out, nope. Forget it. Some poor matchmaking team will have to suffer my try at Sand King middle now.

IMO new players should never touch the bots after 2 or 3 games once you grasp the basics. This is a beta, your KD will get a reset. If you suck, you will get MMed on low tier games where no one cares if you suck.
they might curse you to death but if they are playing there they suck too

Procarbine

Forever Platinum

Advice?

Play with us so we can tell you what you're doing wrong, a lot goes unsaid when people assume a basic understanding of the game. After a game or two with some unified direction you'll get the flow of the game a little more.

Thought I'd briefly share a story of a win:

My team (Radiant): Wind, Zeus (me), Silencer, Earth, Destoyer.

Them: Sniper, Doom, Huskar, Tiny, Lich

I'm laning top with Windrunner. In the first couple of minutes, she gets a little too excited and tower dives for a kill againt Sniper. Fails (killed by the tower). Wind then disconnects. Naturally, we expected her to come back. It wasn't a first blood because she was killed by the tower, and silly shit happens sometimes anyway. Well, eventually Wind abandons and our Earthshaker quits too. For those keeping score, the game is now:

Zeus (me)
Silencer
Destoyer

vs

Doom
Lich
Sniper
Huskar
Tiny

For the record, I picked Zeus last because I knew the entire team would be squishy for a fairly long period of time. Anyway, I concede we're going to lose and mention it maybe around the 15 minute mark. By then, I've gotten 4 or 5 kills because their team was incredibly squishy and perhaps acting a bit careless. But still, the game is simply academic at that point. They can farm until their carries simply overwhelm us. So we agreed that we'd have to try to somehow end it early. Before they get their items and HP. Their cockiness lead to some random ganks along the way (after all, how could they really lose a 3v5 against such weak opponents?) We get a few good kills and some trades along the way, but eventually get widdled down to one standing tower. We manage to clear out their middle level 2 tower though some epic team fights and are starting to see a glimmer of hope. Then...I finish my Refresher Orb. The only comment their team made the entire game was "that refresher..." And so it was. We push up and in for the shocking win. Abandoned by 2 teammates 10 minutes into the game, we win a 47-minute going away.

wowpn.jpg

God giveth you BEATINGS. Sadly, they all quit before we could finish off the Ancient, so we didn't get the win.

From the registry:

AppID 13655
Name Dota 2 - Steel Series Retail
BillingType ProofOfPrepurchaseOnly
CostInCents 0
OnSubscribeRunAppId -1
OnSubscribeRunLaunchOptionIndex -1
RequiredKeyType 4
GameCode
GameCodeDescription Dota2
IsSteam3Subscription 1
RequiresShippingAddress
DomesticCostInCents
RequiresCD
IsPreorder
TerritoryCode
Added 2012-02-29 03:02:13

So I'm guessing Steel Series will release some sort of peripheral tied to Dota 2 and possibly include a beta invite with it.

I just want everyone to know. I won a game tonight. Took like 3 hours. But it happened.

Only 3 hours? Good Job Dorkimoe - you're the best.

I think everyone who plays with me knows how much I hate Omniknight and from now on - if the other team picks him - I'm gonna play Invoker.

dorkimoe

Only 3 hours? Good Job Dorkimoe - you're the best.

I think everyone who plays with me knows how much I hate Omniknight and from now on - if the other team picks him - I'm gonna play Invoker.

Hater. We tried single draft and got stuck versus top tier heroes versus are dumpster ass heroes. Then we did all pick and they picked anti-mage/natures prophet/Zeus. Got shit on again. So I made 1.09 play anti Mage and Archie on nights talker and insured on dark seer. Pure rape

One of those pads is hard the other is cloth I'm pretty sure.

Sanjay

Hater. We tried single draft and got stuck versus top tier heroes versus are dumpster ass heroes. Then we did all pick and they picked anti-mage/natures prophet/Zeus. Got shit on again. So I made 1.09 play anti Mage and Archie on nights talker and insured on dark seer. Pure rape.

Forgot about my Lich, having Lich and AM in the long lane was like being in a short lane. Deny and ward the pull made it so. We made dorkimoe max skill 1 and 2 and ignore 3 and he also soloed bot lane on the Radiant side, following the current Navi CM build, Vanguard and Sange.

HK-47

Oh, bitch bitch bitch.
Forgot about my Lich, having Lich and AM in the long lane was like being in a short lane. Deny and ward the pull made it so. We made dorkimoe max skill 1 and 2 and ignore 3 and he also soloed bot lane on the Radiant side, following the current Navi CM build, Vanguard and Sange.

Current build is vanguard and yasha. Get with it.

Ikuu

Had his dog run over by Blizzard's CEO
From the registry:

So I'm guessing Steel Series will release some sort of peripheral tied to Dota 2 and possibly include a beta invite with it.

Be interesting to see what this is all about, the game looks to be F2P and feels like it's quite close to open beta. Maybe they're going to run a promotion with Steel Series that allows you to register a product for a key or bundle it with a product.

Deadly

God giveth you BEATINGS. Sadly, they all quit before we could finish off the Ancient, so we didn't get the win.
You don't get the win if they all quit? That fucking sucks =/

Also imagine if they fixed things, you would have gotten an even easier time because you weren't getting ES's gold and only WR's.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom