• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dota 2 Reborn beta thread | Custom games and Source 2

Omni wars is great

so is HAM (not for people who don't play Dota)

league of Dota or whatever can be fun for how dumb it ends up

slide ninja slide isn't my cup of tea but people like it apparently

warlock brawl is dumb fun

I saw footman frenzy is out that's a classic from wc3

ScOULaris

Archer Wars

A9DD3953381E831D0E4D9B4D85A4F011B01D142F
4D8BFEC41D988C2E76F66AE8ED6490ECD68EA554

Just had a chance to try this bad boy out earlier this morning, and I had so much fun with it that I felt the need to give it some much-needed exposure here.

It comes with two maps, a large one for 10 players and a smaller one for 5. It's FFA and there are a handful of different archers to choose from. The gameplay reminds me of the Sniper Paintball maps from Brood War in that it revolves around using the cover of trees in the environment to juke and snipe the other players. As the round progresses you can learn or upgrade new abilities such as a second type of arrow, a cloaked bird that you can use to scout out the stage, and a powerful flaming boulder.

In the center of the map is the shop where you can buy from an array of items made specifically for this mode. This is good because it gives everyone a reason to occasionally make the risky trip to the center of the map, which is always visible and vulnerable to ambushes.

Oh, and you also have an ability that recharges every 10 seconds or so that briefly shows you the location of everyone else on the map for a second or two. I thought this was a genius design choice because it keeps the game from devolving into a slow, plodding game of hide n' seek.

It's a great game and very polished already. I'd love to see more people playing this, as it doesn't have a sizeable player base yet from what I've seen. Spread the word!

ScOULaris

holy crap i remember archer wars of back in the day.

just a question, can you still play a normal game against bots? (5v5 AI) /Dota2 reborn

Hm, not sure. The only game I played was a full five-man, so I don't know if it supports bots or not yet.

I'd wager a guess that it doesn't as of right now but might in the future.

there is an option to select from the different versions (their version of use map settings) so it's definitely possible in the future but he probably hasn't done any of that since it seems to be super low on custom game creators priority lists

I played a couple of bot guided tutorials and someone in another trhead said he tried out regular bot matches.
he's talking specifically archer wars

Yeah, he says 5v5. AW is FFA. And also asks if you can still do that in Reborn. There was no official custom game support in the previous version, so that only leaves regular bot games.

Hm, not sure. The only game I played was a full five-man, so I don't know if it supports bots or not yet.

I'd wager a guess that it doesn't as of right now but might in the future.

I played a couple of bot guided tutorials and someone in another trhead said he tried out regular bot matches.

there is an option to select from the different versions (their version of use map settings) so it's definitely possible in the future but he probably hasn't done any of that since it seems to be super low on custom game creators priority lists

he's talking specifically archer wars

heh, sorry for failing to write properly.

i meant normal game mode(5v5 but with bots) and thanks for the answers, i will install reborn then.

ScOULaris

To anyone here who regularly checks the DotA 2 subreddit, consider subscribing and contributing to r/Dota2CustomGames.

It's in its beginning stages, but I think it has the potential to be come a great community for both fans of custom games and those who create them. I'm not a mod or anything. I just want to see the subreddit grow.

Syf

Banned
Haven't been following too closely lately, is there anything similar to SC2's Nexus Wars being worked on? Would love to have that game type in this engine.

VoxPop

Is this only for custom games?

Can I play regular Dota games with regular Dota players? Is it at least bug free enough to play a regular game?

Also is there Tower Defense?!

Anno

Can I play regular Dota games with regular Dota players? Is it at least bug free enough to play a regular game?

You can play regular Dota, yea, but it's still pretty buggy compared to the standard client. Like I think at one point Naga could sell items off of her illusions and get 6 slotted by like 10 minutes.

You can play dota reborn with other people playing dota reborn.

If regular dota works good for you, just continue using that for regular games for now.

Tagyhag

I can't wait to see what custom games look in a year from now.

I really hope they add a DDAY or an RPG/RTS map, those were my favorite.

I get a game around every 40 minutes, simply due to the amount of times people fail to connect/game crashes/matchmaking & party bugs.

However, when I DO get a game with a bunch of friends it's awesome. Overthrow is fantastic, and Skillshot Wars is absolute mayhem.

I have been playing Dota Strikers and it is a lot of fun, I can wait to see them adding new heroes to the roster.

Aside this, Skillshot Wars is my most played mode. Today I played Clockwerk in a normal game and I felt I improved my hooks, ha ha ha.

ScOULaris

I have been playing Dota Strikers and it is a lot of fun, I can wait to see them adding new heroes to the roster.

Aside this, Skillshot Wars is my most played mode. Today I played Clockwerk in a normal game and I felt I improved my hooks, ha ha ha.
Try Archer Wars and Reflex as well if you like Skillshot Wars.

GorillaJu

Dota Strikers is fantastic but I really want a good TD. Green, Burbenog, Elemental, whatever I don't care just give us a good TD, someone!

ScOULaris

Dota Strikers is fantastic but I really want a good TD. Green, Burbenog, Elemental, whatever I don't care just give us a good TD, someone!
Believe me they will come, but it will be a few weeks or months from now before good ones reach a state where they're ready for primetime. The beta tools are different from the alpha ones in some important ways that specifically affect maps of this type.

Yeah, there's not much interest atm, which is a bit surprising. Or maybe not given its state. Maybe later.

I think it is due to two things. One is that custom games are still fairly new, so in order for the more complex ones to be available, it would take time. Two, is that the Reborn beta is still relatively unstable, which makes it relatively annoying for whoever wants to play the games.

I have two ideas for custom games, but I haven't a clue about Lua so it'll take a while for anything to come to fruition.

Yeah, good points. I also don't play it regurarly, because occasional crashes and all
(and picked up Witcher 1 recently)
. Also, it's TI season, and ESL Frankfurt was recently too, so maybe a lot of Dota fans are busy with those things and are not in the mood for this. And non-Dota fans just probably want something new that's not Dota, so Source 2 and custom games don't mean much here, even though the former is big news.

ScOULaris

I see Cyborgmatt has been posting about Snipers Duel. Also made a reddit thread about it.

I made that thread. ;)

Also, Snipers Duel just got some big updates as of yesterday. A ton of new stuff was introduced like custom items, blood effects for the insta-gib rifle, item treasure chest deliveries in the center of the map, shops at everyone's spawn area, and a bunch more.

EloKa

uh 50% more coins for completing challenges in the Reborn client.
Might use the reborn client more often from now on with the unlocked match-making

monocromo

So... I have some questions. Currently I dont have Dota 2 installed on my pc but Im pretty sure Im going to do it for TI5 knowing that trying to watch games on populated Twitch streams is going to be an awful experience. They (Valve) said that in theory Dota Reborn should work better than vanilla Dota 2 on old notebooks.

So, is Dota Reborn my best option ? Does it work as they said ? Any known problems when using it to watch games ?

Thanks a lot in advance :)

Top Bottom