• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

DOTA 2 The International 2017 (Aug 7-12) Game of throwns - you win or you pld

Cybit

FGC Waterboy
So that Reddit post didn't even get their info from a "neogaf discord", lmao.

If you have more stories you're at liberty to share, I would love to hear them though.

I mean, there were other gaffers at TI, so maybe one of them was in the booth.

There's no NDA or anything, and I don't think any of these are embarrassing per se

Blitz got, uh, blitzed. It was amazing. Resolution isn't just a carry in the game, he's a carry in RL (he was carrying Blitz around, Reso's pretty strong lol) apparently. Near the end Blitz started going nuts on the dance floor, I wish I had taken pictures. (I almost posted on that Reddit post "how's that hangover"). Resolution is also super shy - my friend (very cute dota 2 player) is a big fan of Reso (which led to her and I being on opposite sides during EG / Empire) and asked him for a picture. He saw her and turned super duper red and shy, it was hysterical. (He was also in a pretty awesome suit too)

Most of the players are super duper nice. Dendi and his girlfriend are unbelievably patient, Dendi doesn't refuse pictures or signatures and talks to people as well, and his g/f takes it all in complete stride. Ended up talking to Sheever, Akke, and ODPixel for 20-30 minutes - Sheever and I were talking about chemo and treatment and how to cope with stuff (I'm also a cancer survivor). I think I was able to give her some advice, which was fun, and I think she liked having someone she could talk about broviac lines and the metallic taste and such with. I tried to get a picture with RTZ / Sumail / Zai (I didn't see Universe at all, and Crit was hanging out not by EG), but Sumail wanted them to go outside (RTZ was all for it). It seemed like RTZ and Sumail were always hanging out, and I think not doing well weighed on them. RTZ later on saw me and signed my jersey, which was very nice of him. Kuroky haaaates pictures (drunk Blitz ran up to him and tried to take selfies, with Kuroky trying to hide himself from the phone, lol), but is preternaturally calm and signed my jersey. Gh saw that I had Akke's signature and informed me that it was my duty to get all of TL's signatures - he's very gregarious and fun to be around. I ended up getting Mind_Control, Gh, and Kuroky's signature.

EE gave me a hug for getting him some keyboards at the last second for TI, and the chinese casters are kind. Kept literally running into one of the female chinese casters, and her and I ended up laughing about it. As best as I can tell her and I had the same plan on people to talk to, hah. SirActionSlacks has an inhuman amount of energy. Kaci was thrilled to find out that my friend is the Dota player between the two of us, which led to a pretty funny conversation (Kaci ended up leaving a little early due to, well, baby). Day9 had a giant line of people who wanted to meet him, and he spent like several minutes talking to each person, doing recordings of voice mails and happy birthday videos, and just generally a boss.

If I think of more I'll add 'em.

Hylian7

I mean, there were other gaffers at TI, so maybe one of them was in the booth.

There's no NDA or anything, and I don't think any of these are embarrassing per se

Blitz got, uh, blitzed. It was amazing. Resolution isn't just a carry in the game, he's a carry in RL (he was carrying Blitz around, Reso's pretty strong lol) apparently. Near the end Blitz started going nuts on the dance floor, I wish I had taken pictures. (I almost posted on that Reddit post "how's that hangover"). Resolution is also super shy - my friend (very cute dota 2 player) is a big fan of Reso (which led to her and I being on opposite sides during EG / Empire) and asked him for a picture. He saw her and turned super duper red and shy, it was hysterical. (He was also in a pretty awesome suit too)

Most of the players are super duper nice. Dendi and his girlfriend are unbelievably patient, Dendi doesn't refuse pictures or signatures and talks to people as well, and his g/f takes it all in complete stride. Ended up talking to Sheever, Akke, and ODPixel for 20-30 minutes - Sheever and I were talking about chemo and treatment and how to cope with stuff (I'm also a cancer survivor). I think I was able to give her some advice, which was fun, and I think she liked having someone she could talk about broviac lines and the metallic taste and such with. I tried to get a picture with RTZ / Sumail / Zai (I didn't see Universe at all, and Crit was hanging out not by EG), but Sumail wanted them to go outside (RTZ was all for it). It seemed like RTZ and Sumail were always hanging out, and I think not doing well weighed on them. RTZ later on saw me and signed my jersey, which was very nice of him. Kuroky haaaates pictures (drunk Blitz ran up to him and tried to take selfies, with Kuroky trying to hide himself from the phone, lol), but is preternaturally calm and signed my jersey. Gh saw that I had Akke's signature and informed me that it was my duty to get all of TL's signatures - he's very gregarious and fun to be around. I ended up getting Mind_Control, Gh, and Kuroky's signature.

EE gave me a hug for getting him some keyboards at the last second for TI, and the chinese casters are kind. Kept literally running into one of the female chinese casters, and her and I ended up laughing about it. As best as I can tell her and I had the same plan on people to talk to, hah. SirActionSlacks has an inhuman amount of energy. Kaci was thrilled to find out that my friend is the Dota player between the two of us, which led to a pretty funny conversation (Kaci ended up leaving a little early due to, well, baby). Day9 had a giant line of people who wanted to meet him, and he spent like several minutes talking to each person, doing recordings of voice mails and happy birthday videos, and just generally a boss.

If I think of more I'll add 'em.

That's pretty cool. Thanks for sharing those. It's nice to hear about the human side of the community.

Chris R

Sounds like a blast.

Drinking a bunch of beer, eating pizza and watching the Mariners lose because they FUCKING SUCK wasn't terribly but it wasn't a blast.

G.ZZZ

Honestly i think that RTZ won't play good in a team with Sumail. His place is mid, he's a lanewinner. Only because he was super optimal at farming he got shifted in the 1# position but imho he's regressed since then. He was honestly the best mid there was around for a longtime, and what he lose to Sumail in term of space creating he make up in pure mechanical prowess and farming skills.

But i'm also the biggest RTZ fanboy that watched him when he had like 100 viewers and he did the famous puck buyback into orb shift triple kill.

shira

I already miss having amazing Dota going all day. When's the next notable tournament?
ESL Hamburg Major, $1M USD prizepool
t1509274800z4.png

Honestly i think that RTZ won't play good in a team with Sumail. His place is mid, he's a lanewinner. Only because he was super optimal at farming he got shifted in the 1# position but imho he's regressed since then. He was honestly the best mid there was around for a longtime, and what he lose to Sumail in term of space creating he make up in pure mechanical prowess and farming skills.

But i'm also the biggest RTZ fanboy that watched him when he had like 100 viewers and he did the famous puck buyback into orb shift triple kill.

imo arteezy's playstyle has been a byproduct of the nature of the safelane in dota at the moment. You can probably say the same thing for every 1 position player out there right now. That position just seems to impact games less these days.

EG was at their best this year when they were drafting and playing to enable Sumail, which is why it's even more puzzling that they drafted slow 1 pos cores like PL and TB on main stage. They won manila by picking flexible heroes and then drafting Sumail onto the best possible matchup.

At TI it seemed like they were trying too hard to out meta teams rather than stick to their identity as a team and as a result they ended up with crap drafts and inconsistent play.

Chris R

Holy shit, 96.1% with 2869. That is ridiculous.

I guess we should thank the people who filled in one day and never returned for the rest...

I only had one good gold card (MATUMBAMAN) :(

Also, I kinda hedged my bets on days when teams could potentially play two sets.

Fuchsdh

I only had one good gold card (MATUMBAMAN) :(

Also, I kinda hedged my bets on days when teams could potentially play two sets.

I did as well, but having cards from a LVL 200 compendium was apparently enough. Just played all the golds I had, silver if I had absolutely nothing better even on a team with fewer games.

RS4-

Got 95.7%

Feels bad, didn't expect them to had out the levels this quickly, could've saved myself from buying that extra level pack for the lousy IO arcana lol.

manfestival

anyone else get the feels when watching kuroky finally break down and start crying after holding his composure the whole time? also the walk to the celebration room looked more like somebody died rather than an actual victory win

Lotto

First International I completely missed. Was on vacation in Japan and didn't really have time to look at it at all. Cool to see Liquid win, gotta watch some replays later on. New heroes look pretty cool too, can't wait to see what they do.

shira

BraXzy

rILRx79.png

Interestingly, a buddy of mine forgot to do it after the group stages and came around 65% so over half of people stopped by the time the main event rolled round or had horrific picks.

Fuchsdh

rILRx79.png

Interestingly, a buddy of mine forgot to do it after the group stages and came around 65% so over half of people stopped by the time the main event rolled round or had horrific picks.

The fact that you have to do it in the client itself is probably responsible for a big part of that.

what crazy rumours are those?

i also like the slacks & kaci stuff, it's always going to be awkward, thats the nature of esports.

aghs is going to get a rework to give new spells, the older aghs upgrades will be moved to talents... with an extra fifth talent node

allegedly

Top Bottom