• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Downsampling for AMD cards is now possible

TedNindo

The resolutions I'm adding don't seem to be appearing in my display properties. I've unselected the hide modes box.

Ysiadmihi

Banned
Sorry for the slight derail, but a quick question. This thread got me interested in trying downsampling on my 560ti so I followed a tutorial and created a custom resolution of 2560x1440 which I can select for my desktop but not in games (even though my other custom resolutions show up). Is the in-game resolution not supposed to be changed or did I screw something up?

Eusis

Can this be done on Nvidia too? Because I'm curious to see how the Witcher 2 looks on my 1680x1050 downsampled from 1920x1200, might kill the dithering.

EDIT: Should've scanned more thoroughly. Time to check!

scitek

Maybe someone with more knowledge can answer this, but can you combine MSAA with down sampling for a better picture?

derFeef

Maybe someone with more knowledge can answer this, but can you combine MSAA with down sampling for a better picture?

Why not, it works with FXAA - it's a very simple way of downsampling so it should work with anything you set.

Yeah, but just remember you're going to be applying AA to the native resolution and not the downsampled one, so the performance hit will be much bigger.

Eusis

This makes such a tiny difference that I'm shocked anyone is excited about it in the first place.
It can be a way to make some older games look a bit nicer with no performance loss, or games like the Witcher 2 have their dithering reduced. Didn't eliminate it for me, though it became harder to notice, I'm sure if you stacked it with ubersampling it'd be gone, but that'd require a godly PC (or just a high end one from maybe 2 or 3 years into the future).

EDIT: For anyone wondering: No, you can never be rid of dithering, even downsampled and ubersampled.

scitek

Sure. You can combine it with any kind of AA. It's just rendering the image at a higher resolution.

Yeah, but just remember you're going to be applying AA to the native resolution and not the downsampled one, so the performance hit will be much bigger.
I thought so. Cool.

I'm eager to try Alan Wake with 8xMSAA since the downsampling should AA the trees without the blur of FXAA.

scitek

This makes such a tiny difference that I'm shocked anyone is excited about it in the first place.

The higher the resolution you can downsample from, the better the results. 2560x1440 is less than a 50% increase in resolution from 1080p, so it's not a huge difference, but the performance hit's manageable, too.

JADS

Downsampled from 3840x2160. Surprisingly my framerate stays above 20. My AMD 5850 only has 1 GB of VRAM though so that might be a limit at this resolution. I am going to experiment some more, got some games that have either broken AA (Prince of Persia) or that don't support AA at all on AMD cards (Bioshock/2 in DX10 mode).

Downsampled from 3840x2160

1080P shot

coopolon

Hmm, at first I thought "Well, that's interesting, but I can't think of any games where it would be helpful."

Then I remembered Divinity 2. I have never been able to get any kind of AA to work in the game, and my god does it need it. I might have to install it and this program just to see what kind of effect it might have.

Edit:
The resolution 2560x1440 now shows up in windows, but when I try to select it I get a popup from windows saying "Windows could not change your display to this resolution. Try a different resolution." This is on a 1920x1200 panel if that matters.

scitek

What the fuck is iLivid and why is it telling me to download it after the wait for the app?
You shouldn't be asked to download anything I don't think. I checked the link out before posting it and it just downloaded.

Hmm, at first I thought "Well, that's interesting, but I can't think of any games where it would be helpful."

Then I remembered Divinity 2. I have never been able to get any kind of AA to work in the game, and my god does it need it. I might have to install it and this program just to see what kind of effect it might have.

Edit:
The resolution 2560x1440 now shows up in windows, but when I try to select it I get a popup from windows saying "Windows could not change your display to this resolution. Try a different resolution." This is on a 1920x1200 panel if that matters.

Click under "advanced settings" in your screen resolution box and uncheck "hide modes not supported by this monitor" or whatever it's called.

coopolon

You shouldn't be asked to download anything I don't think. I checked the link out before posting it and it just downloaded.

Click under "advanced settings" in your screen resolution box and uncheck "hide modes not supported by this monitor" or whatever it's called.

That did it, thanks! Installing Divinity 2 now, we'll see how it works out.

scitek

If you find it doesn't quite do enough, you can try adding SMAA in addition. I found it helps get the jaggies downsampling doesn't.

Durante

It makes as much of a difference as any kind of AA. It's just quite performance intensive compared to pretty much any other technique (for the same results in terms of aliasing reduction).

In any case, screenshots are a bad way to judge supersampling AA methods. You have to see it in motion to appreciate the huge improvement in image stability.

vazel

Banned
Age of Conan.

Non-downsampled with FXAA:

Downsampled without FXAA:

Downsampled with FXAA:

Pretty obvious :)
Is it just me or does it seem the textures had a splash of blur added to them. I know that on nvidia I have to set lod to -1.0 to avoid that.

Stallion Free

Cock Encumbered
Binary Domain (which only has FXAA or MLAA) @ 1440p downsampling:

i2pMVCgQEl2iI.png

ib9HK7J2e3RBC.png

ibdlxFHxgevJ6s.png

scitek

Is it just me or does it seem the textures had a splash of blur added to them. I know that on nvidia I have to set lod to -1.0 to avoid that.

Yes, it's possible. AMD users can actually set LOD to -1.0 as well in DX9 games using RadeonPro. It may be worth trying.

unless you downsample from about double res that will happen which sucks, the FXAA also adds to the blur itself.

I just realized the reason why GPU scaling doesn't appear on my CCC is because I'm using a VGA connection. Is this also why this program isn't working?

coopolon

Well it definitely works! I can set the resolution to 1440p on my 1080p HDTV in Divinity 2. I have the GPU power to spare in this game so I didn't take much of a hit in fps and I can definitely see the improvement. This game has tons of little shrubs all over the place that are full of jaggies and this is the first method of AA that I've ever gotten to help with them.

There's plenty left though, so I'm probably going to see just how high I can go. I noticed no changes in the UI although my FRAPS counter kept getting smaller.

Obviously this has fairly limited uses: games where no other AA works and can spare the GPU hit upping the resolution inherently brings with it. But when you have a game that fits those criteria you're desperate.

scitek

I just realized the reason why GPU scaling doesn't appear on my CCC is because I'm using a VGA connection. Is this also why this program isn't working?

Most likely, yeah. These are the kinds of things I'll have to add to the OP as I learn about them. :

Edit: I think it's because this basically uses an EDID hack to fool your pc into thinking your display supports higher resolutions than it really does.

derFeef

Actually, the game has a "nice" bug with alt-tabbing and texture load... so I have no idea. With downsampling the image is much sharper and clearer, that's for sure.

Grinchy

Banned
Downsampled from 3840x2160. Surprisingly my framerate stays above 20. My AMD 5850 only has 1 GB of VRAM though so that might be a limit at this resolution. I am going to experiment some more, got some games that have either broken AA (Prince of Persia) or that don't support AA at all on AMD cards (Bioshock/2 in DX10 mode).

Downsampled from 3840x2160

1080P shot

That was definitely the most noticeable difference for me so far.

I think I've been doing this wrong

If my understanding of the google translation for this
"Will man als 16:10 Nutzer bspw. von 1920x1200 auf 3840x2160 sind folgende Schritte notwendig: Zuerst auf 1920x1080 umschalten und davon ausgehend 2560x1440 hinzufügen. Auf 2560x1440 umschalten und 3840x2160 hinzufügen. Auf 3840x2160 wechseln."

Is correct, I need to add "2560x1440", switch to it, and only after that do I add the new 16:10 resolution. Gonna try that now and see if it works.

*edit* Nope, didn't work either.

*edit2* It worked!!

edit: also you do not need to have your desktop resolution run at the desired downsampled resolution it seems. Just set the games reolution higher. Works good so far.

Did you have to do anything special for this?

This is what's happening to me:

If I take a screenshot it's actually a full 2880x1800 screenshot,

but it's being displayed zoomed unless I change the desktop resolution. Basically the downsampling isn't happening.

I missed playing at such high resolutions, so pretty!

Text seems kinda messed up for some reason though.

havocau

Neo Member
I use a sony HDTV as my display. I added the resolutions but when I change to them my screen goes black and says unsupported signal detected :(

Gpu scaling is off... any ideas? :(

LiquidMetal14

hide your water-based mammals
Sorry but I can't get this to work. I'm running on a 1360x768 monitor. Tried the OP res and a 16x10 2560x1600 res. What am I doing wrong?

Unchecked the box in advanced and when I go to the higher res, my screen goes green like it's not compatible with that res.

Are you using HDMI?

I am.

LiquidMetal14

hide your water-based mammals
I think it's working but my monitor resolution is not that good so the effect makes my desktop icons look smaller but I assume in game, it will benefit. Shall go test.

Not the best results. Looks pixelated.

scitek

I'm using hdmi, doesn't work with hdmi I take it? ;o

I have a dvi to hmdi cable, would that work?

No, it's the opposite :p It does need HDMI. I'm not sure about the DVI->HDMI cable. Worth a shot, I suppose.

I think it's working but my monitor resolution is not that good so the effect makes my desktop icons look smaller but I assume in game, it will benefit. Shall go test.

Not the best results. Looks pixelated.

Anything but 2560x1440 looks like shit on my TV. It's either my display, or it might be something to do with the requirement of a 2560 resolution for it to work properly. Maybe only factors of 2560 work correctly or something. I don't really know yet.

Weapons

Seems like a silly question but do I have to change the in-game resolution to match my new desktop resolution?

I can switch to 2560x1600 on my desktop but when I launch a game, it just switched back to the regular 1920x1200, which is not how it should be I think?

Top Bottom