• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dr. Dre to Release New Album as 'Straight Outta Compton' Soundtrack

Status
Not open for further replies.

TheBowen

Sat alone in a boggy marsh
Annoyed it being an itunes exclusive but hey ho :/

Annoyingly will be on holiday when this comes out so will be interesting to hear the response when i get back. Hopefully to see if dre has progressed in his production ( not saying he was bad but some of his stuff sounds dated)

joedan

The album is actually Detox. It's just that they know the songs weren't that great and couldn't live up to the Detox hype that they decided to release it under the moniker of soundtrack to the NWA film. That way if the album isn't that well received, they can fall back on saying that "it wasn't Detox" and keep the Dre brand strong. My theory.

The album is actually Detox. It's just that they know the songs weren't that great and couldn't live up to the Detox hype that they decided to release it under the moniker of soundtrack to the NWA film. That way if the album isn't that well received, they can fall back on saying that "it wasn't Detox" and keep the Dre brand strong. My theory.

There's been multiple Detoxes though. He's scrapped it completely at least twice, probably more.

Vire

This is like the most Dr. Dre thing to do imaginable. People waiting for a decade plus for a new album to drop and instead he makes a movie tie in album.

He isn't an artist anymore, the man is a businessman.

Reading the features, is Xzibit the only Dre protege that didn't become a superstar? Kind of sad. Pimp my Rides was his crowning achievement in pop culture.

Edit: looking at actual album sales, he was still very successful, just not Snoop, Eminem, 50, Kendrick successful

I wouldn't call Xzibit a Dre protege considering that Xzibit released his best albums before Dre was even involved with his music (and he was already established by the time he got signed by Dre, and on his 3rd LP)

Man people say Eminem fans are delusional? The Eminem hate is just as delusional lol

He's at his best at the features and he is aware of the yelling, he toned it down

Laws00

I wonder if the songs on the album are going to sound current or have that 90s flow to them. it is a soundtrack album

SliChillax

Dude those early singles were hella trash. I'm willing to accept that the album was basura.

Which ones? If you're talking about Kush and I Need a Doctor those weren't meant for Detox if I recall correctly, although I still didn't enjoy them.

solarus

Man people say Eminem fans are delusional? The Eminem hate is just as delusional lol

He's at his best at the features and he is aware of the yelling, he toned it down
Getting rid of the yelling doesn't fix trash lyrical content (the actual content not his technical ability).

see5harp

Which ones? If you're talking about Kush and I Need a Doctor those weren't meant for Detox if I recall correctly, although I still didn't enjoy them.

I thought those were either supposed to be on Detox or at least were written during the period. I'm willing to bet if those were indicative of what he thought might be good for the radio, the other songs had to be even worse.

Pilgrimzero

These rapper used to be "from the streets" and had something to say, that's what made their music good.

Now they are multi millions who's only worry is if the help will make sure their dry cleaning is delivered on time.

see5harp

Some of them still can come up with a concept or idea and stick to it. If you are in that middle ground though, it's probably better to just go full retard like young thug or future and hope that you keep getting good producers.

Syntsui

Can't wait for it being number one on itunes for weeks, being praised by the critics, and banging at the clubs and radios.

The meltdown will be palpable.

Willectro

Banned
Daft punk did the same and it was their best work yet

n3CuDez.gif

That's gotta be a joke, right?

Toparaman

Banned
I can't believe a new Dre album is just popping up out of nowhere. I swear this entire year has been fanboy wish-fulfillment year.

If you're old enough to remember when Eminem was at his peak, and all the hype around him from pretty much every media outlet imaginable, you know why modern Eminem is so disappointing. He stopped growing. He killed his legend.

Hip Hop

Since we know Dr. Dre uses other producers to help him out, here are some of the confirmed producers on the album. Not everything is handled by Dr. Dre.

1. “Intro”
2. “Talk About It” (feat. King Mez & Justus)
3. “Genocide” (feat. Kendrick Lamar, Marsha Ambrosius & Candice Pillay) Prod. by Dem Jointz
4. “It’s All On Me” (feat. Justus & BJ the Chicago Kid) Prod. by Dr Dre & Bink!
5. “All In a Day’s Work” (feat. Anderson Paak & Marsha Ambrosius)
6. “Darkside/Gone” (feat. King Mez, Marsha Ambrosius & Kendrick Lamar)
7. “Loose Cannons” (feat. Xzibit & COLD 187um)
8. “Issues” (feat. Ice Cube & Anderson Paak)
9. “Deep Water” (feat. Kendrick Lamar & Justus) Prod. by Dem Jointz
10. “One Shot One Kill” – Jon Connor (feat. Snoop Dogg)
11. “Just Another Day” – The Game (feat. Asia Bryant)
12. “For the Love of Money” (feat. Jill Scott & Jon Connor)
13. “Satisfiction” (feat. Snoop Dogg, Marsha Ambrosius & King Mez) Prod. by Dem Jointz
14. “Animals” (feat. Anderson Paak) Prod. by Dr. Dre & DJ Premier
15. “Medicine Man” (feat. Eminem, Candice Pillay & Anderson Paak) Prod. by Dem Jointz
16. “Talking To My Diary” Instrumental: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0Qup4v2uNfc

Other confirmed Producers: DJ Khalil, Focus, Cardiak and Fredwreck

via KanyeToThe

so yeah, this is happening:

Dre-Premier_08-03-2015-300x300.jpg

Apple announced this morning that Apple employee Dr. Dre’s new Compton album will be exclusively streamed via Beats 1 from 6PM to 9PM Pacific Time this Thursday.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom