• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Drag-on Dragoon 3 (Drakengard 3) announced for PS3 [Details in OP]

Thus far, things are shaping up for this to actually turn out very well, or at the very least, the game seems to be in capable hands on all fronts.

ULTROS!

People seem to like me because I am polite and I am rarely late. I like to eat ice cream and I really enjoy a nice pair of slacks.
Zero looks cool.

Pooya

I hope graphics aren't complete ass, Drakengard games weren't that bad for their time on PS2 imo, they were decent, if this looks like Deadly Premonition or something like that, it would be pretty disappointing. Even Nier doesn't look that bad :\

kuroshiki

Thus far, things are shaping up for this to actually turn out very well, or at the very least, the game seems to be in capable hands in all fronts.

Dude if it has Nier-caliber OST, I really don't give a shit whether the game plays like the shittiest game of all time. Still day one and I know I will be just soaked into blissful experience.

You are correct, Nier isn't good, it's great. #1 game of the generation.

Preach it bro.

jorgeton

Drakengard and Nier are semi-janky games that transcend their limitations through their story, music and oddly addictive gameplay. They are like B movie video games. Hype train is still in full effect for me. And I enjoyed the little I played of LoA so I'm not too worried.

cj_iwakura

Seriously THAT is the killer app news. I hated Nier for its awful gameplay, but still have that fucking OST on repeat sometimes. Amazing soundtrack

I never really got why Nier was considered awful. It's an action RPG with bullet hell gameplay.

Try playing a truly awful game, like Magna Carta: Tears of Blood.

luka

Loves Robotech S1
aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa it's really happening

aQHKeTA.gif

kuroshiki

But how are they gonna continue the story?!

Draken 1-> Nier basically tells that mankind went extinct. Totally wiped out from the earth. Maybe this is prequel?

Amir0x

Banned
I never really got why Nier was considered awful. It's an action RPG with bullet hell gameplay.

If you're saying there are far more awful games than Nier, I'd of course agree and you listed one of them.

But I simply didn't think any elements of the gameplay were implemented in a decent fashion; platforming was really awkward feeling, and the bullet hell stuff was neat on the surface but never really amounted to much in a game like this, at least for my one playthrough of the game. I did not playthrough it more than once because I felt that would be like waterboarding myself or some shit :p

Some people mainly applaud its story, but my one playthrough gave me a really bad impression of it and as I said playing through it again would be like torture, so can't bring myself to do it. That said I fully expect it to be bad in its conclusion same as 99.9% of all games ;)

Edit: And god, all the terrible sidequests. Like Animal Crossing or something with these damned errands :(

Drakengard games are pretty mindless, which I think is better since I'm not sure Access or Cavia can make games that are particularly deep. But I will keep my eye on this

SGRemy said:
.........i understand how you can listen to great music without playing a great game.....but the songs won't be as impactful unless you play through the game.

Good music is good music. I didn't catch any feels from the game, so instead I just listened to the lush and gorgeous soundtrack. Sounds just as good out of the game as far as my first playthrough went, but I agree with you the best game music gets even better when married to good games. I just would disagree about whether Nier applies for 'good'

The brilliance of Drakengard 1 is that even though I read the entirety of the LP, and listened to the soundtrack dozens of times, it still paled in comparison to playing the actual game.

It's a profound experience.

It's not awful, just mediocre. The Drakengard games have a better and more focused combat system while Nier feels like a mishmash of not bad ideas executed in a not good way.

But how are they gonna continue the story?!

Draken 1-> Nier basically tells that mankind went extinct. Totally wiped out from the earth. Maybe this is prequel?

I'd assume since this is called Drag-on Dragoon and not Nier means it's set not set on Earth.
Wasn't there something in the Nier backstory about Legion being banished back to the world they came from? That might be a bit part of the story here.

Wasn't DP a mess? I'm sure the story is gonna be fine but now I worry very deeply for the gameplay and stability.
Deadly Premonition didn't start with gunplay in mind. It wasn't added until very late in development (PSA Director's Cut comes out next month). Access Games is coming off a Action RPG right now being published by SE as well. I'd like to take that as a good sign.
Alright people whoa whoa whoa.

Drakengard 1 & 2 aren't exactly good games.
They're enjoyable. I'm up for another solid Action RPG with a crazy world/characters and great music. I think it can at least live up to that :p
Hmm.
The younger girl looks like Manah/Seere.
Yes very much so.

cj_iwakura

If you're saying there are far more awful games than Nier, I'd of course agree and you listed one of them.

But I simply didn't think any elements of the gameplay were implemented in a decent fashion; platforming was really awkward feeling, and the bullet hell stuff was neat on the surface but never really amounted to much in a game like this, at least for my one playthrough of the game. I did not playthrough it more than once because I felt that would be like waterboarding myself or some shit :p

Some people mainly applaud its story, but my one playthrough gave me a really bad impression of it and as I said playing through it again would be like torture, so can't bring myself to do it. That said I fully expect it to be bad in its conclusion same as 99.9% of all games ;)

Edit: And god, all the terrible sidequests. Like Animal Crossing or something with these damned errands :(

Drakengard games are pretty mindless, which I think is better since I'm not sure Access or Cavia can make games that are particularly deep. But I will keep my eye on this

Mindless is a good way to describe Nier's gameplay, and I'm okay with that. Playing it did not feel like suffering, like Magna Carta did, which is my criteria for awful.

Amir0x

Banned
Mindless is a good way to describe Nier's gameplay, and I'm okay with that. Playing it did not feel like suffering, like Magna Carta did, which is my criteria for awful.

Magna Carta felt like dipping my cock in pure sulfuric acid; Nier was more like stabbing my arm with a nail over and over. If that makes any sense lol

duckroll

Actually, Access Games shouldn't have been surprising at all in retrospect. Takamasa Shiba is the producer of not just Drakengard and Drakengard 2, but also both Lord of Arcana and Lord of Apocalypse. Since he's the producer here again on the third game, it makes sense that he would select the developer he's working with right now, since Cavia is dead.

Takao

Banned
Access Games is a pretty unexpected choice. They have a history with Square Enix, so I suppose it's not too odd.

kuroshiki

I'd assume since this is called Drag-on Dragoon and not Nier means it's set not set on Earth.
Wasn't there something in the Nier backstory about Legion being banished back to the world they came from? That might be a bit part of the story here.

Hm. you're right. I guess the world of Draken still lives on while
earth got wiped out

I wonder what kind of shitty, OMGWTF, makes me goddamn awful ending they prepared this time.

Squire

Banned

Good music is good music. I didn't catch any feels from the game, so instead I just listened to the lush and gorgeous soundtrack. Sounds just as good out of the game as far as my first playthrough went, but I agree with you the best game music gets even better when married to good games. I just would disagree about whether Nier applies for 'good'

I respect the things people like most about Nier (the story/characters/music) because I appreciate games that convey a strong sense of self.

But the gameplay. Man, I wouldn't even say it fell flat. It tripped down an extended flight of stairs and broke every none in it's body.

But I digress. This isn't a Nier reflections thread, it's about this new game. I think it looks cool. That's a great start :)

Top Bottom