• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dragon’s Dogma: Dark Arisen PS4/XB1 |OT| They're master ports all, you can't go wrong

gogosox82

Well picked up the game for the third time. Probably gonna make my pawn a sorcerer so she can wreak shit late game. I can't decide if I want to be an assassin or ranger. I usually always play as assassin but I usually end up just using bows so I was thinking of using ranger. I will start strider though so I can get those endurance perks because the stamina consumption on hard mode is pretty insane. You can only do threefold arrow like twice and then your out of stamina. I can imagine that will only get worse when I get the better bow skills. I must say, the game looks and performs way better than the ps3 for anyone's that's interested. No more 15 fps during boss battles. Not quite as good as pc but that's to be expected.

Ferr986

Can't defeat Daimon's second form hard mode for shit. Just gave up.

Did you try to do the periapts+blast arrows trick?

I tried it first with an Assassin but it didn't go too well, but once I swaped to Ranger I defeated it first time. Tenfold not only does more damage, it staggers 2nd form way more easily.

Laughing Banana

Weeping Pickle
Magick Archer is a such a wacky class. It is a class that, if you want it to perform as best as its able, must steal from so many places. Augments from Sorcerer (Acuity + Articulacy), maybe even from Mage (Attunement), from Fighters (Sinew, possibly Vehemence), from Warrior (Clout), etc etc etc............. heck, even the stat growths are better in other classes than Magick Archer if you want to play as Magick Archer, lol, such as Ranger for good physical attack, great stamina, or Fighter for good physical attack and defense, Strider which is in my opinion also has a better spread of stat, Sorcerer for high magick attack, etc etc.

Such a weird and wacky class.

quick update:

PSN ID:
Platform: PS4
Pawn Name: Gwen
Pawn Level: around 45
Pawn Vocation: Sorceress
Addition details: Inclinations: Scather/Utilitarian
will rent gaf pawns, gift and rate accordingly
i'm also trying to acquire bbi gear

Jake2by4

Did you try to do the periapts+blast arrows trick?

I tried it first with an Assassin but it didn't go too well, but once I swaped to Ranger I defeated it first time. Tenfold not only does more damage, it staggers 2nd form way more easily.

Gonna switch Vocation and try it.

Ferr986

Gonna switch Vocation and try it.

I did it yesterday at lvl 70ish with the lvl 2 BBI weapon (you can get it for free with a moonbeam gem in the closed doors area).

You'll need 8 Conqueror Periapts, mushrooms for stamina recovery and I guess around 300 blast arrows, the more the better. Put half of them on you and half of them on your pawn. You can repair the pawn stone before the boss to summon him again if he dies on the way to the boss.

Once the battle start just pop 4 periapts and the arrows and go town with Tenfold (be careful not to waste arrows because he'll keep being pushed around).

If you're lucky 2nd boss will already spawn staggered but if not just keep hamming blast arrows at his chest face and he'll enter a stunlock phase, be sure to keep eating mushrooms before your stamina depletes, you need to keep attacking him without pause.

You'll probably run out of arrows before he's dead but atleast for me regular Tenfold was enough to keep him stunlocked, just be sure to re-apply the periapts when they run out mid 2nd boss fight because without them you'll do nothing and he'll recover. I have my pawn casting holy affinity on my weapons and that probably helps when I run out of blast arrows. Other than that you don't need any other pawn.

Just gotta say a dual dagger+shield assassin is a godsend on Hard Mode.
Screw having a bow, straight up blocking melee one-shots or reducing spell damage makes things way more manageable.

Abylim

All quests done. Grinding to 200 currently then finishing up hard and speed run next. How many pawns do I need to summon for the trophy?

Kensuke

This game cuts me deep. Four lvl 3 weapons and all I wanted was the magic bow. Got the daggers and the two other bows instead. Didn't get Ninefold Bolt from the four lvl. 3 Gear either. I give up.

Jake2by4

I did it yesterday at lvl 70ish with the lvl 2 BBI weapon (you can get it for free with a moonbeam gem in the closed doors area).

You'll need 8 Conqueror Periapts, mushrooms for stamina recovery and I guess around 300 blast arrows, the more the better. Put half of them on you and half of them on your pawn. You can repair the pawn stone before the boss to summon him again if he dies on the way to the boss.

Once the battle start just pop 4 periapts and the arrows and go town with Tenfold (be careful not to waste arrows because he'll keep being pushed around).

If you're lucky 2nd boss will already spawn staggered but if not just keep hamming blast arrows at his chest face and he'll enter a stunlock phase, be sure to keep eating mushrooms before your stamina depletes, you need to keep attacking him without pause.

You'll probably run out of arrows before he's dead but atleast for me regular Tenfold was enough to keep him stunlocked, just be sure to re-apply the periapts when they run out mid 2nd boss fight because without them you'll do nothing and he'll recover. I have my pawn casting holy affinity on my weapons and that probably helps when I run out of blast arrows. Other than that you don't need any other pawn.
Just did thanks. Talk about op as hell.

All quests done. Grinding to 200 currently then finishing up hard and speed run next. How many pawns do I need to summon for the trophy?

I wish I thought about this before, but I've been leaving my pawn behind while I try to get good gear. I want to give her op gear at relatively low levels so that she can annihilate whenever she is rented.

edify

Neo Member

70 iirc.

I've loved this game since DD:DA on ps3, suppose I better join in on the GAF goodness.

PSN: twothumbedfist
Pawn name: Aoife
Level 92
Ranger
Inclinations: Pioneer, Acquisitor

She's 182cm so she's a big girl and she likes to loot. I know that's pretty much the marmite of pawn builds so thought it was worth mentioning. She hits pretty hard though and has a habit of using blast arrows on bosses if she has access to them :p

Ferr986

I wish I thought about this before, but I've been leaving my pawn behind while I try to get good gear. I want to give her op gear at relatively low levels so that she can annihilate whenever she is rented.

Yeah my pawn is skyrocketing in levels while farming Daimon but I need her as a mule, atleast till I get the damn Longbow.

Using other pawns is risky because they may die on the way to the boss and the arrows go back to storage..

Yeah my pawn is skyrocketing in levels while farming Daimon but I need her as a mule, atleast till I get the damn Longbow.

Using other pawns is risky because they may die on the way to the boss and the arrows go back to storage..
Hasn't happened yet, but I'm going with level 200 pawns and I save constantly. If someone so happens to die, I reload my save.

I just wanted to say a big thank you to the GAFer whose pawn is Kyoko. I ducked over to BBI to quickly grab a ring of perseverance, and while I was there I grabbed a few notice board quests without thinking. One of the ones I picked up put a Gorecyclops in Soulflayer Canyon, right between me and the item I wanted to loot. I needed to hire a seriously OP pawn to straighten this mess out... Kyoko to the rescue! I was able to keep the Gorecyclops in a permanent state of torpor, and Kyoko fulminated the hell out of it :)

Speaking of pawns, an update on mine:

PSN ID: AStiffBreeze
Platform: PS4
Pawn Name: Anwyn
Pawn Level: 39
Pawn Vocation: Mage (currently a Sorcerer, will be back to Mage shortly)
Additional details: Utilitarian/Challenger. Set up for buffs and healing (i.e. support mage), but enjoys frying bad guys as well.

Anwyn
xzluGqw.jpg

Bonus 17 second Anwyn highlight reel (this was some Hollywood movie shit right here - love this game!):
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iZXpdqlVvoo

Kensuke

Big update, probably only useful now in post-Daimon runs:

PSN ID: Wretched_Walrus
Pawn Name: Abby
Level: 161
Vocation: Sorcerer
Details: Sanguine equipped, 3k magic attack. Due to Strider origin (and 50 levels of that) she has over 3k HP and Stamina too. Equipment is silver/gold dragonforged BBI lvl. 2 gear. Utalitarian/Challenger. Good at dual casting Fulmination and Bolide.

Coming from the Shadow Fortress, I found the Ancient Quarry,

I slowly walked behind an Ogre( I didn't know you could do that), @ Level 25 and with only one warrior pawn that was stressful.

Then it happen , my lamp ran out of oil and as I tried my to make my way out a freaking spider poisoned me , so my pawn reacted by slamming her huge hammer and of course woke up the ogre and he got all excited cause my pawn was girl.

Telling you right now...
...Forget resident evil or any survival horror game.

Being chased by not just one OGRE but TWO!! (there were 2?, in vanilla there was always 1!) all I could hear is my pawn being munched on and the only thing I could see was their red eyes coming for me.

After wrestling with a few undead and goblins and constantly getting chased by both ogres I was put to death by 9 bandits .

Moral of the story - always carry oil with you.

Coming from the Shadow Fortress, I found the Ancient Quarry,

I slowly walked behind an Ogre( I didn't know you could do that), @ Level 25 and with only one warrior pawn that was stressful.

Then it happen , my lamp ran out of oil and as I tried my to make my way out a freaking spider poisoned me , so my pawn reacted by slamming her huge hammer and of course woke up the ogre and he got all excited cause my pawn was girl.

Telling you right now...
...Forget resident evil or any survival horror game.

Being chased by not just one OGRE but TWO!! (there were 2?, in vanilla there was always 1!) all I could hear is my pawn being munched on and the only thing I could see was their red eyes coming for me.

After wrestling with a few undead and goblins and constantly getting chased by both ogres I was put to death by 9 bandits .

Moral of the story - always carry oil with you.
There are actually 3 ogres! That was essentially my original PC experience but I managed to barely triumph.

Ferr986

Me: I'm a Ranger!

Bitterblack Island: Framae Blades, Darkening Storm, Framae Blades, Darkening Storm, Framae Blades, Framae Blades, Darkening Storm....

worst part is that fucking Daimon has yet to drop any lvl 3 wep.

Salarians

Yo this dude is chatty! He knows about all the quests I’m working on and just can’t help but chime in. :D

We had a good moment together, though. This icy wolf had me pinned on the ground when Tavish here came charging over and shield-smashed the Wolf off my throat. Immediately after, he was surrounded by icy Harpies and just getting wailed on, so I dropped a rain of arrows to clear them off him. Good buddy!
lol, thanks for sharing

he got a surprising number of hires when he was a mage, much more than my pawn back on 360 vanilla ever got, so I guess his knowledge is pretty good

WeTeHa

Lol, with all the complaining about rng in here i almost feel bad.
I purified my first 3 lvl 3 weapons and got Sanguine stalk, framae blades and darkening storm.

Really can't complain considering I play assassin and my pawn is a sorceress.

Audioboxer

Me: I'm a Ranger!

Bitterblack Island: Framae Blades, Darkening Storm, Framae Blades, Darkening Storm, Framae Blades, Framae Blades, Darkening Storm....

worst part is that fucking Daimon has yet to drop any lvl 3 wep.

Diamons drops are terrible. Rarely anything, mostly novelty. Just do quick runs for the weapon lvl 3 from the chest. There's two other chests I know of that drop lvl 3 weapons but the drop rates are horrendous. Might as well just blast arrow nuke Daimon lol.

I've almost given up on getting an assassins band. I don't know how many lvl 3 gears I've gone through now. Rings RNG is the worst. Anything from the red category is quite bad because it covers a few classes.

Zeta Oni

Inquired about it earlier but now I can confirm for those interested; "The Laborer" trophy/achievement no longer requires all 50 notice board quests to be done in a single playthrough.

Damn, thanks for the tips. I'll definitely try those skills out. Problem is I don't have the ring/band , even after decoding a ton of Gears. I'll have to grind for it once I can get Gear lvl 3 items. Another problem I have with Assassin right now is that the BBI lvl 2 shortbow feels weak compared to the Ranger and MA bow. I'm doing a balanced build, so once I have the proper equipment I can switch back to Assassin to give it another shot.

Btw, what makes MA such a good climber?

Trying to get the right items is the worst part of the game unfortunately. Maybe what they were going for was getting people to try other classes. One of the first Gear 3 I got was Arc of Obliteration + Ecliptic Slash for Warrior, and I had a ton of fun with it against dragons. Warrior vs Cursed Dragon is an epic battle. Still, there should be some way (even a hard way) to get a specific item.

For the lvl 2 shortbow, it's weaker but not that much weaker than the longbow (31 attack and 76 stagger difference at max upgrade). The stagger is more noticeable on hard mode. On normal the lvl 2 shortbow with mighty/terrible bend could stagger things very well
with the right timing, solo stunlocking Daimon second form to death without using blast arrows or periapts at all
. But on hard
even with blast arrows it's very difficult. Still, the Assassin can charge Force Hatchet and then use the blast arrow/periapt trick with fivefold.

For MA, they eventually get a skill that sets themself on fire, which does constant damage when climbing. And they can do regular attacks at the same time.

So I’m finally starting this game as I got burned out on Destiny 2. I’m going strider the magick archer, but what are the best quality of life augments I should get early on? It’s my understanding the rank 5 fighter augment, sinew, and the rank 9 strider augment, leg strength, both help with item weight? Anything else I should be sure to get?

jiggle

On replay
Purposely skipping/failing quests to get as many NPCs to stay as possible XD
Looks like
Mercedes and Strawberrypuff
are the only two that won't stay without romance?

HenryEen

Banned
Hopefully other players can find some use for my low level Pawn.

PSN : Henry_Een

Pawn : Alice

Vocation : Warrior

Level : 28

Inclination : Challenger/ Mitigator (Is this even a good inclination?)

Questions : What is this RC crystal people talking about ? I have like 500 RC (lol)

Inclination : Challenger/ Mitigator (Is this even a good inclination?)

Questions : What is this RC crystal people talking about ? I have like 500 RC (lol)

Those are good inclinations.

RC/Rift Crystals are mainly earned by players renting your pawn, a percentage of XP from kills they make while rented is given as rift crystals.

You can use them at the vendor in the tent where you first met/created your pawn, but most will be spent when you start running Bitterblack Isle, purifying items.

Audioboxer

So I’m finally starting this game as I got burned out on Destiny 2. I’m going strider the magick archer, but what are the best quality of life augments I should get early on? It’s my understanding the rank 5 fighter augment, sinew, and the rank 9 strider augment, leg strength, both help with item weight? Anything else I should be sure to get?

Running sinew is enough on its own. Stamina augments might help a bit early on.

HenryEen

Banned
Those are good inclinations.

RC/Rift Crystals are mainly earned by players renting your pawn, a percentage of XP from kills they make while rented is given as rift crystals.

You can use them at the vendor in the tent where you first met/created your pawn, but most will be spent when you start running Bitterblack Isle, purifying items.

Thank you ! I think my pawn only rented once and she died (all 3 star rating and no RC) lol.

Brakke

Banned
Pretty epic sequence helping out the siege at the Shadow Fort I think it was called.

I think I’m missing a mechanic though. Cyclopses show up with armor sometimes now. How do I remove it? I thought I could hack at the fasteners around back but my attacks just bounced off.

people

I think I’m missing a mechanic though. Cyclopses show up with armor sometimes now. How do I remove it? I thought I could hack at the fasteners around back but my attacks just bounced off.
Armored Cyclopes are a stronger type of Cyclops, their armor can be removed by hitting it repeatedly (preferably with blunt damage) until it can be destroyed. Pawns will/may comment "It's armor is rent". The helmet can be removed by either climbing on the back of its neck, just below the helmet and jump off when it tries to grab you taking the helmet off instead. This does not work while the Cyclops is stunned by Lightning. Occasionally the Cyclops may grab a party member and take off the helmet in order to take a closer look.

Laughing Banana

Weeping Pickle
Hard Mode Grigori fight... lol. So many 1-hit kills, goddamn....

JE05iY.png

LiBdi3.jpeg

She's now level 65 mage, and Utilitarian/Mitigator. I'd be grateful if anyone here is willing to rent her during your playthrough :) PSN = LaughingBanana

Brazil

Living in the shadow of Amaz
Finally started to be able to kill some stuff in my Hard Mode run, which, incidentally, is also my first go at this game ever.

There are some damn obtuse systems in this game.

I'm still a bit unsure if I'm progressing the right way in terms of equipment and skills, but so far, so good.

Is enhancing gear you already own the only way to use materials, or is there an actual forging system somewhere?

people

Is enhancing gear you already own the only way to use materials, or is there an actual forging system somewhere?

The main usage for materials is Enhancing/Rarefying, but they can also be used in Combining. Materials as well as items from other categories can be combined to create entirely different items, or stronger/higher quality variations of one of the original items. You cannot create armor or weapons this way.

As people said, there is a crafting system for items, but it's mostly used to craft items for other weapon upgrades :)

Sometimes you might use it to craft some specific healing items, but it's pretty rare. If you're worried about losing an item though, you can duplicate it (create a forgery) at the Black Cat in Gran Soren. Non-magical forgeries are identical to the original item.

ZangBa

Is there any resource that lists tiers of armor? I'm purifying gear and got some stuff that might be better but I can't really tell, and I don't really want to go through material and dragon grinding to find out every time.

I got my pawn all decked out in dragonforged or higher gear tonight, I had to use that exploit to get my mage vocation to max so I could actually do damage. Sitting pretty with the rings for Grand Anodyne and Holy Pact. He's a decent support mage now.

people

Is there any resource that lists tiers of armor? I'm purifying gear and got some stuff that might be better but I can't really tell, and I don't really want to go through material and dragon grinding to find out every time.

Not sure about a list, but it's relatively straightforward. Assuming we're talking about purifying Bitterblack Armor Lv3, there are basically 2 tiers.

Blue (Sorcerer/Mage, also Magick Archer)
  1. - Low Tier: Grave
  2. - High Tier: Carrion
Yellow (Strider/Ranger, also Assassin)
  1. - Low Tier: of Shadow
  2. - High Tier: of Oblivion
Red (Fighter/Warrior, also Mystic Knight)
  1. - Low Tier: anything that's not Hellfire
  2. - High Tier: Hellfire
"Red" Cloaks can be used by any vocation: Hellfire / Blasphemer

Each of these (except cloaks) can come with or without bonus, some of which are more desirable than others.

Top Bottom