• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dragon Age II |OT| The Revenge of Shit Mountain

I can't stop laughing!

EviLore said:
da2ot-05.jpg

Hixx

Carver part of the OP was great.

Hopefully this thread doesn't end up like the demo thread in the end though.

subversus

I've done nothing with my life except eat and fap
Durante said:
Oh god, the humanity! Upwards of 8 sentences!! I can't actually remember that happening, mostly the options were too few and short.

This is one of my favourite parts of Baldur's Gate:
bg1_diayrd4.png

such lengthy dialogue options are suited for games where you don't have dialogue cinematics.

so any modern AAA game is out of luck.

Nirolak said:
That happened because of the bigoted language the OP used in the MW2 thread as opposed to the concept of an OT that isn't a glowing PR marketing piece.

Fair enough. And thus, I leave this thread, before this game lands and the real shitstorms begin.

dude

dude
DA1 was shit, so I don't see why anyone expected any different from DA2...

I remember before the first was released when they said the world will be dark and the story not the regular save the world epic... Where is my 4chan LOL.png when I need it?

Hixx

dude said:
DA1 was shit, so I don't see why anyone expected any different from DA2...

I remember before the first was released when they said the world will be dark and the story not the regular save the world epic... Where is my 4chan LOL.png when I need it?

oh wait, too late.

Mr_Zombie

subversus said:
such lengthy dialogue options are suited for games where you don't have dialogue cinematics.
What, why?
Most point & click adventure games have both voiced dialogues and written full dialogue options, so why suddenly nowadays AAA games can't have them?

Arjen

Hilarious OP, spot on.
Had it pre-ordered because i loved DA:O, but canceled after playing the demo.
I'll wait til it hits the bargain bin.

Stahsky

A passionate embrace, a beautiful memory lingers.
Genjikage said:
So, it's ok to troll the game in the OT 'cuz he's a mod?
Ahh, gaf, I think I'm starting to understand you.

He is no mod, young man.

Cynar said:
Great official thread , wow ! It should get an Oscar.

Haha, lots of ass kissing in this thread

subversus

I've done nothing with my life except eat and fap
Mr_Zombie said:
What, why?
Most point & click adventure games have both voiced dialogues and written full dialogue options, so why suddenly nowadays AAA games can't have them?

there's a difference between two cartoony characters standing near each other with the screen not focused solely on them and dialogue cinematic where camera catches faces of those who talk and there's no pause in action, so you actually see how the character move his/her eyes, breathe and so on. I always wanted every game with such camera to use limited response time like Alpha Protocol and The Witcher 2. Otherwise it breaks immersion. Usually I choose fast just not to break it too much.

The problem could be solved if they could give you an ability to pause action during dialogues.

Also all modern AAA games are fully voiced so that cuts down an amount of text drastically. Lenghty written responses sound bad + higher costs on VA.

Green Scar said:
Fair enough. And thus, I leave this thread, before this game lands and the real shitstorms begin.

Why? You think most of the people here or in the demo thread that are hating on it will even play it right away? It's going to be people like me who either liked it or just still think it's going to be an enjoyable game.

Which may be a lot for all I know. PC Gaf led me to believe ME2 was terrible and it won goty here going away. There's a very loud minority here apparently.

tmacairjordan87 said:
Why? You think most of the people here or in the demo thread that are hating on it will even play it right away? It's going to be people like me who either liked it or just still think it's going to be an enjoyable game.

Which may be a lot for all I know. PC Gaf led me to believe ME2 was terrible and it won goty here going away. There's a very loud minority here apparently.

I think it's going to be the next Mass Effecct 2, basically. That's not indictive of quality, that's based on how I think GAF will ultimately react to it, on the surface anywhere.

Synless

I love the low res image for the boxart on the Metacritic picture. So out of place next to the 1000 out of 100. As for the game itself, I think I have a bit more of a positive outlook than EviLore does.

LiquidMetal14

hide your water-based mammals
THE WITCHER 2

You have to understand that the TC has a lot of reason to be making such an OT. And it's very funny, you have to have a sense of humor about it. I'm sure the game will be alright but for a big company, you have to wonder where the resources went when similar games just look better and play better. The demo validated his opinion, which I pretty much agree with :p

And LMAO at the guy who said it's going to be the next Mass Effect 2

This is nowhere near the value and perceived greatness that ME2 was.

Piecake

Green Scar said:
I think it's going to be the next Mass Effecct 2, basically.

While I am looking forward to DA2, I don't think it will get the amount of critical acclaim and awards that ME2 got. Probably wont sell as well either.

Hixx

tmacairjordan87 said:

There will be people who end up in here who won't play the game at all and still give their 'opinions'. I mean some of the posts in the demo thread were ridiculous, one rang to the tune of 'I loved DA1 so I'm not going to play this demo cos it will be bad'.

Gonaria said:
While I am looking forward to DA2, I don't think it will get the amount of critical acclaim and awards that ME2 got. Probably wont sell as well either.

I remember reading on here that DA1 sold more than ME2. And with more focus on the console versions this time round I wouldn't be surprised if DA2 outsold it as well.

Abylim

/shrug
His name is red, looks "mod-like" to me.

I'm pumped about the game, just abit discouraging to have an OT full of how crap the game is.

Gonaria said:

Yeah, when I say it'll be the next ME2, I'm only on about GAF surface level reaction. Definitely not saying it'll be as acclaimed as ME2. It looks terrible, IMO, so why would I say that. :p

dude

dude
Genjikage said:
/shrug

I'm pumped about the game, just abit discouraging to have an OT full of how crap the game is.
GAF is like that sometimes. I mean, I agree with Evilore on how shit this game is going to be, but if any ol' regular user did something like this to a popular game, they'd be banned in less than a second.

It's like amir0x gets to open a thread requesting people who are "social conservative" to defend their opinions and not get even a little bit of backlash.

2San

tmacairjordan87 said:

While I loved Mass Effect 2, I think a lot of the criticism is fair. People are a lot harsher when a game did something good and the sequel removes it. ME2 streamlined a lot of things to it's benefit, but it removed things that made first one good as well.

Here we are with DA2 even if it's worse then DA:O. I'm still going to buy it, since there are simply no other team based rpg's out there. Not day 1 though, the pre-order signature edition bullshit pissed me off good. Am I going to enjoy it? Probably, but that doesn't take away that the game could be better(in my eyes).

Abylim

Cool, so I'm not going crazy.
I was thinking the same thing. :p

I feel like an outcast posting that I actually like the game in this topic =\

Genjikage said:
/shrug

He is basically the King of GAF, not a mere mod.

The criticisms are pretty clear, if you're ok with them I don't see why you have to be discouraged, when the game releases the thread will be full with proper impresions and game details....

Piecake

HixxSAFC said:
I remember reading on here that DA1 sold more than ME2. And with more focus on the console versions this time round I wouldn't be surprised if DA2 outsold it as well.

There is really no complete data on that at all, just a few articles saying how much it sold a couple of weeks after release.

http://gamrreview.********.com/browse.php?name=Dragon+age+origins

http://gamrreview.********.com/browse.php?name=mass+effect+2

Even those numbers are not accurate since I don't believe they count digital downloads. There are no solid numbers on PC sales. So, I really don't think you can say that one outsold the other because the numbers we do have are fairly close.

The reason why I think DA2 will sell less is that it is getting a more negative reaction than ME2 and DAO did.

erpg

GAF parliamentarian
Oh my God, what a thread.

And come on, guys, stop whining. EvilLore did the Origins thread, it's only right he does this one. And a little comedy never hurts, and isn't going to ruin whatever you think of the game.

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
Genjikage said:
Cool, so I'm not going crazy.
I was thinking the same thing. :p

I feel like an outcast posting that I actually like the game in this topic =\
Actually, I would imagine that most people in here are looking forward to the game, since usually people don't bother posting in the OT of a game they have no interest in. :p

dude

dude
Nirolak said:
Actually, I would imagine that most people in here are looking forward to the game, since usually people don't bother posting in the OT of a game they have no interest in. :p
Well, I'm here because I was intrigued by the "Shit mountain".

Abylim

Not trying to make a big deal out of it, OT's are usually where people come to hype or get hyped about their upcoming game.

This thread just seems to be non stop trollin. I didnt know EvilLore was in charge or whatever, I get he does what he wants now. Just was voicing my wee opinion, and slight discomfort.

Carry on chaps, just a silly junior member not kissing ass =)

Zeliard

Durante said:
Oh god, the humanity! Upwards of 8 sentences!! I can't actually remember that happening, mostly the options were too few and short.

This is one of my favourite parts of Baldur's Gate:
bg1_diayrd4.png

Reading isn't Awesome™, man.

Lakitu

st5fu
Genjikage said:
Not trying to make a big deal out of it, OT's are usually where people come to hype or get hyped about their upcoming game.

This thread just seems to be non stop trollin. I didnt know EvilLore was in charge or whatever, I get he does what he wants now. Just was voicing my wee opinion, and slight discomfort.

What information in the OP is false, then?

I enjoyed the demo, but everything the OP alludes to is completely correct.

TheSeks

Blinded by the luminous glory that is David Bowie's physical manifestation.
Genjikage said:
So, it's ok to troll the game in the OT 'cuz he's a mod?
Ahh, gaf, I think I'm starting to understand you.

No. It's only okay to "troll the game" when these conditions are met:

-Your PCGAF (ConsoleGAF will be banned outright if they troll a PC game thread, unlike vice-versa)
-You're a mod (Amir0x trolling Enslaved. We get it, you don't like the game and think it's shit. Namecalling and insulting people that do is poor modship)

If you meet either of those two conditions, feel free to troll! Otherwise, you're fucked.

(USER WAS BANNED BY EVILORE FOR TELLING THE TRUTH)

/Sick of PC versus console bullshit. We get it. We don't care.
//However, this thread is funny because DA2 didn't really fix DA1's problems and "dumbing it down" really didn't help it either.

After playing the demo three times, once for each class,. I honestly dont understand the hate for this game. Yes, the graphics are really bad, but who cares? Not every game has to look like the hottest thing in the world. And yes the gameplay has become more loose and it has more of an action feeling towards it. But I still feel like I have all of the control I did in Dragon Age Origins . Plus now I dont have to deal with repeatedly mashing on buttons only to get stiff awkward animations. Also since the gameplay has changed I feel like each class is more distinctive. The rouge feels nothing like the warrior and the mage feels nothing like the warrior. And while we're talking about classes I feel like the demo proved to me that you can have two warriors or two mages and have them speced completely differently. Thats something I never got out of Mass Effect or Fallout. I am also intrigued by the story and the way it is set up. Because its from the point of view of a former party member who you have influenced. As for the dialouge it was fine in the demo. I've seen people on here complain about how theres only the sarcastic, good, and evil responses, but guess what thats every RPG! Yes, it is a problem but like i said its a problem with every rpg. And I feel like DA2 doesnt deserve to be specifically called out for it, as if the problem was uneqie to that game. I honestly think that Bioware's PR messed up big time buy not controlling their message properly and because this everyone hates it. Because all they remebar is the tag line " Think like a general and fight like a spartan." and them talking about how the combat has changed without seeing it for themselves. That specifically made a lot of people afraid and rightfully so. This is where a lot of people started bashing the game, myself included, and that was wrong. We shouldent bash games that we havent even seen. But thats another post for a later time. My point is that PR didnt control the message, people got scare then people started hating them game.

Zeliard

Genjikage said:

If you bothered paying attention, you'd see that people have plenty of concrete criticisms against the game.

erpg

GAF parliamentarian
Genjikage said:
There's no ass-kissing involved. This is genuinely funny. The complaints are valid, and the PR quotes are so true it hurts.

Abylim

Hmm? I didnt say anything was false.

Seriously, I apologise for questioning how it works. I enjoy browsing the forums and the occasional post. I'm super hyped for this game, and just thought the OT was a little off. Someone told me the dude who made it is big stuff, so it makes sense that this topic is the way it is.

I'm all good, didnt mean to rock the boat.

Zeliard

The point is that the "trolling" isn't coming out of nowhere. That so much of it is accomplished using Bioware's own wording should be telling enough.

Abylim

Zeliard said:
If you bothered paying attention, you'd see that people have plenty of concrete criticisms against the game.

I'm paying attention, this shit usually doesnt happen in an OT for said game.
I get why its happening now.

/peace

Coxswain

I think even if you think absolutely every part of Dragon Age 2 (the game itself) looks awesome and you're super pumped, you should be able to at least get behind making fun of the inept PR job Bioware's been doing with the game (and really, the franchise in general). Most of the OP is poking fun at that moreso than the game itself. I wouldn't get offended or take it as a particularly egregious troll.

Woo-Fu

Banned
Interesting how Bioware's dumbing down of a sci-fi RPG that started with Kotor and continued nonstop throughout Mass Effect seems to get a pass while Dragon Age does not.

Did having the star wars license for that first console RPG let them slip it by? KotOR is the prince of darkness that fathered the rest of these abominations but came disguised as an old friend.

JohngPR

The DAO thread didn't come off as trollish as this one.

It's funny sure, but isn't very inviting to those that are actually looking forward to the game. Due to the tone of the OT, most of the posts are about how badly DA2 is going to suck or how much better The Witcher 2 is going to be.

Eitherway, hopefully once the the game comes out the conversations will give way to ones about the actual game like the DAO thread.

Top Bottom