• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dragon Age II |OT| The Revenge of Shit Mountain

Alucrid

Banned
bluedeviltron said:
The only thing funnier than the OT is the fact that every one of you tryhards will buy it.

Try-hard? Are we playing Call of Duty or something? But yes, I will probably buy it. After all the DLC comes out, the GOTY edition is released, it gets on Steam, and it gets 75% off thanks to the Steam sale. Then I'll buy it.

water_wendi

Water is not wet!
The way DA handles difficulty levels would not address the lack of tactical combat. This is true even in the first game. Increasing enemy health and defenses and decreasing damage done makes the game harder but not better. To fix this they would have to drastically change the DA encounters and also alter how DA treats combat (DA combat is based around the immediate battle and not the quest/dungeon you are on).

bengraven

Alucrid said:
Try-hard? Are we playing Call of Duty or something? But yes, I will probably buy it. After all the DLC comes out, the GOTY edition is released, it gets on Steam, and it gets 75% off thanks to the Steam sale. Then I'll buy it.

high five.

Ledsen

ElectricBlue187 said:
I just need to know if there's auto attack. If not, I'll never play this game. If they're going to make Dragons of War or Devil May Age then they either need to go all the way with that shit or not at all. The demo felt halfass in that direction which really didn't sit right with me

Of course there is...

Vaporak said:
DA:O at highest difficulty was basically baby's first Baldur's Gate as far as difficult is concerned. It's really hard for me to imagine anyone would have a hard time with it on normal, let alone console normal. So, "just play it on hard" as a response to DA2 getting easier just makes no god damned sense.

That's a huge exaggeration. I've played BG1 and currently at chapter 5 in BG2 on default difficulty. Dragon Age on Hard is just as difficult and I've had quite a few really hard fights in the ~20-25 hours I've played so far. I even had to leave some of the Revenants for later since there was no way I'd be able to beat them at my current level. I shudder to think how hard Nightmare must be.

Coxswain

water_wendi said:
The way DA handles difficulty levels would not address the lack of tactical combat. This is true even in the first game. Increasing enemy health and defenses and decreasing damage done makes the game harder but not better. To fix this they would have to drastically change the DA encounters and also alter how DA treats combat (DA combat is based around the immediate battle and not the quest/dungeon you are on).
I agree with that; my confusion is leveled more at the people who are slagging the game off in comparison to the first one. I just don't see DA2 suffering from any (gameplay) flaws that weren't already in the first game, and it seems to have actually made some significant strides on at least one major problem the first game had (ie: two out of three classes were boring, comparatively useless auto-attack bots).

X-Frame said:
Then I guess I speak solely for the PS3 version, which was horrible.

I didn't bother readying your other posts but the PS3 version looks the same in demos. The 360 version did feel smoother - however I don't bother comparing version.

Saying ps3 version is horrible is utter bullshit.

Patryn

This game is giving me whiplash. I keep swinging between knowing that I won't really enjoy it to thinking that it might be decent.

My problem is that everything that I've read that is supposed to reassure me has actually only worried me.

Stupid stuff like hearing that the lead designer of Dragon Age 1 quit because he didn't like the change of direction, Mike Laidlaw saying that he felt that DA:O was too hard and thus DA2 has been adjusted accordingly, and basically every single PR statement Bioware has given has only just made me more worrying.

I didn't think it was possible for a company to troll their own game. Dragon Age 2 really does prove that it is.

Unregistered007 said:
I didn't bother readying your other posts but the PS3 version looks the same in demos. The 360 version did feel smoother - however I don't bother comparing version.

Saying ps3 version is horrible is utter bullshit.

He was talking about DA:O, not DA2.

Stallion Free

Cock Encumbered
I don't get it. I am fairly excited for the game as I enjoyed the demo and am fine with a lighter RPG (I play Origins on normal and I am happy with it as I don't care for the deeper tactics).

But I can still appreciate the OT and understand the complaints by people that did enjoy the deeper aspects of the first one.

GraveRobberX

Platinum Trophy: Learned to Shit While Upright Again.
I am in awe of this OT, in awe

Damn you EviLore, I bow to you good sir

m(_ _)m, that gif of A's was...dare I say...Awesome!

Canova

Banned
lol the system requirement

System Requirements:
MINIMUM
-486 Intel processor or 100% compatible
-4MB RAM
-MS-DOS 5.0 or higher
-8MB hard drive space
-256-color VGA graphics card
-CD-ROM drive
RECOMMENDED
-486/33MHz
-1MB video card
-Sound Blaster or 100% compatible sound card
-Double-speed CD-ROM drive

K.Jack

Knowledge is power, guard it well
So, all of you people who hate it and will never buy will stop posting after it's released. right?

LCfiner

More Official Threads for hyped games should be this irreverent. fun stuff.

I played the demo, fund the button mashing unsatisying on 360 and the lack of isometric view annoying on PC. And the dialog and voice acting didn't keep me interested, either.

Unlike the first one, I won't be picking this up day one. I expect a nice Steam Sale will come along and I'll get into it then. I'll still be lurking here for impressions. it's sure to divide a lot of people.

bengraven

K.Jack said:
So, all of you people who hate it and will never buy will stop posting after it's released. right?

You would like to have a sanitized fuck fest, wouldn't you? Unfortunately you can't have anything on GAF without critics.

Gvaz

Banned
I'm gonna take this game with a grain of salt.

It's probably going to be what decides if I keep buying Bioware's products in the future.

DaBuddaDa

K.Jack said:
They are free to voice their disappointment in the direction this game has taken for as long as they please. And they will.

megamerican

As disappointed as I am the sequel's direction and pre-order shenanigans, I still feel somewhat obligated to pick this one up.

Also it's been months since I've played a game that didn't revolve shooting something in the face. Magicking something in the face will be a nice change of pace.

The demo has my expectations so low it will probably wind up impressing me.

K.Jack

Knowledge is power, guard it well
bengraven said:
You would like to have a sanitized fuck fest, wouldn't you? Unfortunately you can't have anything on GAF without critics.
No, I wouldn't. But, after a certain period of time, those who are still basing criticism off of the demo will lose the credibility needed to continue shitting up a thread. Am I wrong? That's what the demo impressions thread was for, correct?

Buy and hate the retail game, fine, go nuts. But the OT has to shift towards impressions and discussion of the retail product.

I read Brent Knowles blog post and it didn't really seem like a big deal. Everyone in a creative field has to make decisions on projects from time to time that they don't agree with and quiting a job because of DA2 and a project that probably won't see the light of day isn't the best reason to quit. It seems more like personal reasons but nothing that directly reflects on the game, DA2, itself. To be perfectly honest, at first it came off as kind of whiny but ended up sounding like his heart just wasn't into his job anymore and he wanted to do something with more creative control. For the person who posted this as a reason why DA2 sucks, that's pretty pathetic. Seems like you're just fishing for reasons to throw more stones at a game none of us have completely played.

K.Jack said:
No, I wouldn't. But, after a certain period of time, those who are still basing criticism off of the demo will lose the credibility needed to continue shitting up a thread. Am I wrong? That's what the demo impressions thread was for, correct?

Buy and hate the retail game, fine, go nuts. But the OT has to shift towards impressions and discussion of the retail product.

Amen, brother! lol

Yeah, I'm with K.Jack. This OT is different from the others because it's coming off as a juvenile way to hate on a complete product that none of us has played. March 8th isn't here yet and review scores haven't dropped either so let's simmer down on the hate for a retail game none of us has played. If you still want to hate, take it back to the demo impressions thread.

Ledsen

DaBuddaDa said:
They are free to voice their disappointment in the direction this game has taken for as long as they please. And they will.

If they buy it and play it, sure. Otherwise it's just trolling.

Patryn

Crazypanda_85 said:
I read Brent Knowles blog post and it didn't really seem like a big deal. Everyone in a creative field has to make decisions on projects from time to time that they don't agree with and quiting a job because of DA2 and a project that probably won't see the light of day isn't the best reason to quit. It seems more like personal reasons but nothing that directly reflects on the game, DA2, itself. To be perfectly honest, at first it came off as kind of whiny but ended up sounding like his heart just wasn't into his job anymore and he wanted to do something with more creative control. For the person who posted this as a reason why DA2 sucks, that's pretty pathetic. Seems like you're just fishing for reasons to throw more stones at a game none of us have completely played.

Brent Knowles said:
Party control/tactical combat are huge factors in my enjoyment of a role-playing game as is adopting the role of the hero (i.e., customizing my character). I was fairly certain Dragon Age would transition towards more of a Mass Effect experience, which while enjoyable is not the type of role-playing game I play.

Given that a lot of people are complaining for these exact reasons, asserting that, despite Bioware's claims to the contrary, the series is becoming "Dragon Effect," having the lead designer of Dragon Age: Origins confirm that this exact thing is happening is pretty telling.

K.Jack said:

Shit, I'm not wasting money just to justify calling a bad direction for a series out. Sure, I'll eventually stop bitching about it, but now isn't the time.

tmacairjordan87 said:
The pc version was auto attack and people were saying there's an option on consoles to turn it to auto attack.

Though I don't see how watching your character auto attack automatically makes it more of a rpg.
It doesn't. Just makes it 10,000% less annoying to play.

Patryn

K.Jack said:

I expect that'll happen after a couple weeks of the game being out, but until it's out, we only have the demo to go off of.

DSN2K

Ledsen said:
If they buy it and play it, sure. Otherwise it's just trolling.

ummm why buy something if you don't like it ?

People can have views on whatever the hell they want. And if they come from demo's, game play videos, reviews or simply based off the genre of the game itself then that is also completely fine.

this you cant talk until you have played it bullshit argument is incredibly stale.

erpg

GAF parliamentarian
Pre-Order Dragon Age II to get the Golden Shield of Kirkwall and the King's Right to Talk About the Game.

What are the chances that somebody will mod in the first game's top down camera? I really didn't like having to constantly pause and svivel the camera around just to see what's going on. Not to mention my failed attempts at trying to properly place the AOE attacks over bigger distances in the demo. Whose idea was it to remove that anyway? Turns the game from a great tactical experience into an unplayable mess.

Alucrid

Banned
Crazypanda_85 said:
Amen, brother! lol

Yeah, I'm with K.Jack. This OT is different from the others because it's coming off as a juvenile way to hate on a complete product that none of us has played. March 8th isn't here yet and review scores haven't dropped either so let's simmer down on the hate for a retail game none of us has played. If you still want to hate, take it back to the demo impressions thread.

I'm sure the reviews will be the saving grace of this game from gaf.

DSN2K

Bren McGuire said:
What are the chances that somebody will mod in the first game's top down camera? I really didn't like having to constantly pause and svivel the camera around just to see what's going on. Not to mention my failed attempts at trying to properly place the AOE attacks over bigger distances in the demo. Whose idea was it to remove that anyway? Turns the game from a great tactical experience into an unplayable mess.

It's possible a Mod will not work. Content of the game and modelling of the world might not work to having a top down camera so it may just look awkward and broken with a forced top down view.

Bren McGuire said:
The game performance probably suffered considerably from that camera angle or maybe they just hate us and are laughing so hard at us that they are crying and wiping their eyes with $100 bills

Durante

Coxswain said:
Yeah, the lack of menu options is a baffling decision on the part of the demo. I can sort of see locking the character customization as that deals with adding in extra assets, and the demo might be an older build, etc etc, but being able to toggle auto-attack on the consoles and the difficulty level really doesn't require a whole lot of effort and would go a long way to letting people make an informed decision about the game.
Agreed. Maybe I'd be more positive on the game had I been able to play it on something other than Casual.

Their reasoning is that it might give people a wrong impression if they included a difficulty setting in the game. I really can't think of anything any developer ever said that is more condescending to their customers.

K.Jack said:
Not at all. I'll buy it so that I can continue to hate on it (The real reason I'll buy it is that the choices for party-based tactical -- and I use that word in the broadest sense -- cRPGs this year are basically Dragon Age 2 and Dragon Age 2)

The Technomancer

card-carrying scientician
Haha, came in for the thread title, stayed for the OP.
I really should get around to playing Origins one of these days, I hear the combat is great, but I just can't get past "save the world from a dark evil as a human, elf, or dwarf". Ah well, Avadon also comes out soon, and that should have an original world.

Hixx

Is this topic going to be worth bothering with if you don't subscribe to the 'poop mountain' and 'Dragon Effect' comments until after release?

ElyrionX

Just tried the demo on the 360.

It was awesome. The graphics are a huge step up from the shitfest that was DA:O so obviously the people complaining about the graphics didn't play DA:O on the consoles. The skill trees look a lot more interesting now as well. Can't wait.

mik

mik is unbeatable
I get the complaints, but I like this direction. It means I'll actually get to finish this game, rather than getting mired in minutiae like the first one and quitting halfway through.

Top Bottom