• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dragon Age: Inquisition - Trespasser |OT| Loyal bands and murderous hands

diaspora

Wierd this thread gets bumped as i JUST finished my run of this game and DLC.
I never liked Solas, i knew there was something off about him from the jump. I really dont see how the hell he will be a credible threat in the next game, such a bitch character
He created the veil, can kill people without needing to turn around, and has a secret army with spies everywhere. He's a massive chode I agree, but he's definitely a threat imo.

diaspora

He is also pretty old.

tumblr_mi594ed7AZ1rd24zno1_250.png

Though he's only been awake for a year right?

edit: The best is when he criticizes the Wardens for recklessness. Pot, meet kettle.

SPCTRE

currently re-playing DA:I with a fresh character (mainly to get to the singleplayer DLCs, which I haven't played before) since I got a digital copy of the GOTY edition from a sale

really gotta say, playing without being a completionist (and most importantly, knowing where in the game completionism actually pays off in a meaningful way,
which is mostly never
) makes it so much better, the pacing is a delight!

Revisited DA:I's DLC (all of it) a year after platting the base game and it was a lot of fun to get back into, with Trespasser's story being my favorite. Finished it up the other night and I didn't expect them to so blatantly set up the next installment as they did, but regardless of antagonist, I'm all-in if i
t is going to take place in Tevinter and doubly so if it'll at lest give me more opportunities to lay a beat-down on Qunari. Fuck the Qun.

All that's left for me to reclaim my 100% on DA:I are a few more of those Trial trophies from Trespasser. I get what Bioware was going for with them, but having trophies introduced in post-endgame DLC that require a fresh playthrough was a terrible way to implement it, imo. I'd be into having a similar handicap system included in the next game (or in ME) right from the get-go, just without tying trophies/achievements to them.

SPCTRE

Little further in now, I have to revise some of what I said earlier.

Somehow having played a quite completionist first playthrough simultaneously makes this second one (mostly mainlining towards the DLCs) better (pacing!) and worse (knowing of how little importance what I'm doing is to the story's finale).

It's fun for the most part, but it manages to still be an uneven experience. And here I had hoped my feelings towards DA:I had finally become less... complicated.

diaspora

I'll try. My OCD might refuse.

Any quest specifically to avoid?

Shards, druffalo herding. There's nothing wrong with doing the extraneous sidequests but there's no sense in doing them all at once. Focus on stuff like closing rifts and the quests Corporale Vale gives you. Once you're level 5+ then leave.

Lashley

Why does he wear the mask!?
Shards, druffalo herding. There's nothing wrong with doing the extraneous sidequests but there's no sense in doing them all at once. Focus on stuff like closing rifts and the quests Corporale Vale gives you. Once you're level 5+ then leave.

Often times I look back on my gaming career and wonder, "what was my most memorable moment in gaming" I usually get dismayed by the fact that I cant think of many. Maybe its because I have played them my whole life, things just get jumbled together. I will say though that last night I definitely had a memorable experience with Dragon Age Inquisition.

I am on my first play-through of this game right now. Playing on nightmare currently.

I was finishing up the quest in Western Approach and got my first Dragon Mission. Man, I got my ass handed to me lol. I thought I was getting the flow of combat since I have been mowing over enemies in nightmare with my Mage KE, Ironbull reaver, Single tank Blackwall, and Solas spirit tree "healer". I probably lost to the dragon 15 times or so, barely making a dent in his armor. My team was around 12-13 level when I first fought him.

I decided my damage was to low at the moment and continued questing for 4-5 hours in another zone. Finally before bed I decided to take another crack at this High Dragon. This time I was more prepared and used a diff tactic. My team was now level 13 and my inquisitor 14. I decided on using two party members that I hadn't given any playtime to, Cole and Sera, one of the reasons was the fact that I kept getting good rogue items during my questing.

I made both of them archers, with cole assassin/archery and sera tempest/arch. Then blackwall stayed the same since he was doing great beforehand. I then switched my spec to full spirit and made the inquisitor the healer.

I wish I could of recorded the fight, It was epic and lengthy. I had to constantly manage the cpu from getting to close with the archers and the fight moved all around the dessert area. I finally got a mark of death on him in the end and sera hit him with a fire potion plus multiple leaping shots. The dragon finally succumbed to my heroes, hurrah!!! For some reason I felt such an achievement, not sure if it was the difficulty that I finally overcame and the planning it took or just the pure epicness of the fight. My characters dropped multiple times and had to resuscitate multiple characters, so that mixed with the amazing backdrop of the fight made it special. I really love that area, the lighting effects are top notch in western approach.

Why do I share this story with you guys? Well I was about to write this game off a few months ago after getting into it about 30 hours or so and not feeling it, now I came back to it a couple of days ago and I cant put it down. Love this game

Just got it for Xbox.

Any tips?

I heard something about leaving the Hinterlands asap?
The last DLC added new "Trials" to the game which are a lot like XCOM's Second Wave settings.

http://dragonage.wikia.com/wiki/Trials

They make a really big difference and make a lot of complaints about difficulty and gameplay obsolete IMO.

Walk Softly is the biggest one... all enemies spam strong Abilities just like a player now. E.g. Even basic 'knights' in the Hinterlands are bad ass shield blockers that will take 3 minutes to defeat unless you counter them with backstabs or something. It makes a huge difference in making the game more tactical.

Even Ground scales enemies which helps a lot because the game can be easy to overlevel. Leveling can also be made 50% slower.

There are two that also make resting at a Camp more impunitive, no potion refill boxes, and Healing Potions useless (a lot of people complained potions trivialized the difficulty).

There is one that also makes your Relationship 'Responses' double... so people Approve or Disapprove 2x as much. Much easier to piss someone off with that.

There's one that makes bears much more badass too haha

Tactical Camera itself still sucks but the Trials when combined with the highest Difficulty making the game much tactical because it forces you to counter so much more but also play defensively because there's no normal healing anymore.

Just a PSA for those on PS4 that all the expansion DA:I DLC (Hakkon, Descent, and Trespasser) are 67% off (so, $5 each) on the PlayStation Store. I can't remember the last time I saw BioWare DLC on sale so this might be a good time to check out Trespasser if you still have any interest.

Lister

Banned
Im replaying this on pc, mostly to try out my new ultra wide screen. Game has always been pretty and ultra wide makes it even more immersive.

And mods pretty much made me want to continue playing it past every other attempt. If your on pc id recommend the no looting animation mod and the extended search mod.

Those two things make SO MUCH of a difference in terms of the tedium of collecting stuff.

Finally going to see all the dlc, which i also picked up now that im enjoying the Game more

diaspora

Im replaying this on pc, mostly to try out my new ultra wide screen. Game has always been pretty and ultra wide makes it even more immersive.

And mods pretty much made me want to continue playing it past every other attempt. If your on pc id recommend the no looting animation mod and the extended search mod.

Those two things make SO MUCH of a difference in terms of the tedium of collecting stuff.

Finally going to see all the dlc, which i also picked up now that im enjoying the Game more

Try the conversation camera mod.

Sai

So, I played a little of Origins way back in March 2010, and had a tough time getting into it. Wasn't quite the instant draw that Mass Effect was for me, and I ended up shelving, and eventually selling it. This past week, I decided to give it another shot, and now I'm really into it, close to the endgame stuff.

I intend to get DA2 and Inquisition after this, but I'm a lil' confused as to what edition of Inquisition I'm supposed to get for the complete experience. There's the standard, GOTY, digital deluxe, a GOTY add-on... Can somebody give me a hand?

Also, does it matter which platform I get it for? Any big differences between the PS4 and Xbkx One versions?

Sou Da

So, I played a little of Origins way back in March 2010, and had a tough time getting into it. Wasn't quite the instant draw that Mass Effect was for me, and I ended up shelving, and eventually selling it. This past week, I decided to give it another shot, and now I'm really into it, close to the endgame stuff.

I intend to get DA2 and Inquisition after this, but I'm a lil' confused as to what edition of Inquisition I'm supposed to get for the complete experience. There's the standard, GOTY, digital deluxe, a GOTY add-on... Can somebody give me a hand?

GOTY has all the story dlcs, digital deluxe is pre-order cosmetics.

Ralemont

not me
So... Get the digital deluxe, and the GOTY add-on?

And does the platform matter any?

PS4 is 1080, XBO is 900.

The GOTY edition is the same thing as the digital deluxe + GOTY add-on so you might as well just get the GOTY edition.

So... Get the digital deluxe, and the GOTY add-on?

And does the platform matter any?

As mentioned, PS4 for the clearer image quality at 1080p, or Xbox One for blurrier visuals but practically constant 30fps.

Pretty sure the GOTY version also has the Digital Deluxe bonuses. They were mostly useless though. The DLC for the game was pretty incredible though, especially Trespasser.

Sai

Just finished my first run through the game yesterday.

I came in with tempered expectations because there seemed to be so much negativity surrounding Inquisition. I ended up really enjoying it, and I've been getting so tired of most open world collect-a-thons lately.

That said, I would've been super sour on the finale if it wasn't for Tresspasser. Kinda glad I got into Dragon Age late because of that. That's kind of been an issue with some of Bioware's latest offerings, and i hope the trend doesn't continue with Andromeda.

I'm going to give inquisition another shot, I got interrupted last time I started it near launch and never went back to it.. What DLC is worth picking up for a first playthrough?

pashmilla

Banned
I'm going to give inquisition another shot, I got interrupted last time I started it near launch and never went back to it.. What DLC is worth picking up for a first playthrough?

Trespasser! Trespasser Trespasser Trespasser.

It's basically the epilogue to the game, ties up the loose plot ends and sets up DA4. Also it's amazing.

Jaws of Hakkon is pretty neat. You get a lovely new zone to explore with interesting lore and fun sidequests. It's basically a giant scavenger hunt/archaeological expedition and I love it.

The Descent is... hgggh. It creates way more questions than it answers. Like, the big reveal at the end is cool but it's not expanded on at all so it just kind of feels like they're setting stuff up for the next game.

So Trespasser = essential, Hakkon = great, Descent = if you've got money to spare.

Trespasser! Trespasser Trespasser Trespasser.

It's basically the epilogue to the game, ties up the loose plot ends and sets up DA4. Also it's amazing.

Jaws of Hakkon is pretty neat. You get a lovely new zone to explore with interesting lore and fun sidequests. It's basically a giant scavenger hunt/archaeological expedition and I love it.

The Descent is... hgggh. It creates way more questions than it answers. Like, the big reveal at the end is cool but it's not expanded on at all so it just kind of feels like they're setting stuff up for the next game.

So Trespasser = essential, Hakkon = great, Descent = if you've got money to spare.

Thanks! I'll go with Trespasser and Hakkon and if I find I need more I'll pick up Descent

I'd set some Gaming time aside over the coming weeks and months for Mass Effect.

After being disappointed by the Trial, I am using my EA Access subscription to get a Bioware fix with this instead.

I've never played a DA game before. I very briefly played this when it was first released into EA Access, although didn't give it a fair chance.

For 'free' I hope i get a decent experience with a solid story. Wish me luck GAF.

Ploid 3.0

I still play this game to this day. Some tips, gah I don't know if I have enough time to type it all, but I guess I could point you in searches.

Google AI guide, the way to understand how the AI works is important. Dragon Age Inquisition is different from how DA1 controlled. Though with Trespasser things are so much better thanks to offensive defense traits, like guard on hit, and the secondary trait options for skills. Give the AI some credit, I find that they handle themselves pretty well, until I notice they are doing something I wouldn't. Micromanaging is still probably needed, especially in tight spaces that confuse the AI due to layout boundaries (something to do with the way paths are designed. In tactical cam you sometimes can't even move the target cursor past certain obstacles, requiring you to find a route that you can walk without jumping to get to where you want a AI to go, or to select a target you want them to focus/place a AOE at).

Dragon Age Inquisition - Party, Tactics and Behaviors Guide!

If you are on PC there are some very useful mods to get too. Instant gathering mod is very time saving and valuable.

I was always a nightmare friendly fire player in the other DA games, but with this one I gave up on FF early because I couldn't even see which abilities counted as possible FF. I now play with FF but it's not as satisfying as the other games because it just makes me not pick the few abilities that have friendly fire. After this play I won't mess with it again, it's not challenging, it just limits me totally. The abilities aren't good enough that I feel it's worth a slot that another ability could use, or to slot it and hold off using it until the right time that I won't hit a friendly.

Warrior-----------
Two-Handed
Mighty Blow - Yes
Whirlwind - Yes​
Vanguard
Charging Bull - Yes​
Templar
Wrath of Heaven - Stun, no damage​

Mage--------------------------------
Spirit
Mind Blast - No damage, minor stagger​
Storm
Chain Lightning - Yes​
Frost
Winter's Grasp - Yes with upgrade
Ice Mine - Yes
Wall of Ice - Yes, applies zero damage Chill effect when activated underneath ally/enemy. Lasts roughly 3 seconds on allies, 6 on enemies
Blizzard - Yes
Mana Surge - Yes, applies zero damage Frozen status to allies. Active Barrier blocks the effect​
Inferno
Immolate - Yes
Fire Mine - Yes​
Rift Mage
Pull of the Abyss - Yes
Firestorm - Yes, by the Dread Wolf yes...​
Necromancer
Walking Bomb - Yes... Applies Weaken, spirit damage, and knockdown. Active Barrier blocks the Weaken and damage entirely.​

Rogue------------------------------
Archery
Explosive Shot - Yes​
Artificer
Spike Trap - Yes
Elemental Mines - Yes​

JeffG

I'd set some Gaming time aside over the coming weeks and months for Mass Effect.

After being disappointed by the Trial, I am using my EA Access subscription to get a Bioware fix with this instead.

I've never played a DA game before. I very briefly played this when it was first released into EA Access, although didn't give it a fair chance.

For 'free' I hope i get a decent experience with a solid story. Wish me luck GAF.

skip shards/skulls and the requisition table

Ploid 3.0

skip shards/skulls and the requisition table

Also later in the game you can start buying Power, so don't worry about Rifts too much. When possible, just follow the Inquisitor's Path quests.

Do you get the Trespasser DLC for free too? That's a good DLC that add quality gameplay changes in the form of Trials, and the alternate ability traits. The trials add difficulty and rewards for killing promoted, elite, and boss tagged enemies.

Yeul

having not played since I beat it during release is trespasser the only dlc I need?

Trespasser is the best DLC of the bunch and sets up for DA4 so it's definitely essential and the one to get if you only had to choose one. Jaws of Hakkon is really good too and the Frostback Basin zone shows how much they improved their side quest structure. The Descent is more of a dungeon crawler but does have some interesting lore implications.

Anyone here beat the game on nightmare? How difficult is it?
This is a good summary of it.
https://www.reddit.com/r/Games/comments/3i2vwv/i_came_back_to_dragon_age_inquisition_and_played/

Biggest improvement is just that damage scales, and the biggest problem with DAI normal difficulty is that it can devolve into rather brainless killing. Most of the 'tactics' the game are supposed to offer such as positioning, combos, crowd control, etc become kinda pointless -- just hack and slash to win. Potions making healing too simple, too. So Nightmare difficulty helps make those things more important: you have much less ability to burn down enemies and enemies hurt you enough that you can't rely on potions. If you just try DPS and use potions it can be too difficult so proper use of crowd control, tanking and taunting, positioning, combos, etc become more important.

That said, it's not super difficult per se. It just highlights the importance of game mechanics in a way the original difficulty really should have.

The best way to get genuine challenge out of the game is actually the 'Trials' options that were added with DLC.

Trials options are kinda like.... Second Wind options in XCOM.

Things like, Potions heal 1 HP; enemies use class special abilities far more often; enemies always scale to be at least equal level; remove all Supply Caches (the potion restocks always conveniently put near bosses lol).

The 2nd one there is by far the best for added difficulty... e.g. tank enemies will spam shield wall. Even in the Hinterlands, trying to melee a tank from the front through his shield took me a few minutes lol. It basically forces you to use tactics (e.g. backstab behind the shield; area-effect spell behind the shield; etc). Tanks will shield block like crazy; rogues will backstab far more often; etc. It causes a bigger impact on forcing you to be 'tactical' than even Normal -> Nightmare difficulty imo because every single enemy monster uses abilities as often as a player would.

Then you add in the lower player damage/higher enemy damage of Nightmare, and things like far less (or useless) potions or enemy scaling, and it forces you to have to play pretty darn tactical and conservative.

Top Bottom