• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dragon Ball FighterZ - Characters, Specials, and Stages Discussion

TreIII

Bardock is shit.

But he's been forced into every single game made in the past decade, so let's not pretend like he's not gonna be in this. =(

Now, I'll say this: I liked Bardock and his original story from the special. Typical Saiyan, gets caught up in the events leading up to his home planet's destruction, tries to make a difference because of his new prophetic powers and...can't. Freeza too stronk. Then he dies in a molten ball of death and such. Places his hopes on infant son flying to Earth, instead.

I'm just not a fan of everything they did to turn him into (another) "snikt, bub" alternative to Goku in recent years. Oh, now HE is the "SSJ of Legend"? Oh, now Towa snatched him, gave him a few power-ups to make him into one of her most powerful Time Breaker attack dogs...but now he's a free man "who plays by his own rules"?

Sad thing is, I wouldn't mind Bardock being around if a) it would mean a Saiyan that still had a tail and could go Oozaru and b) could have unique abilities (from Towa or otherwise) that would set him apart. But at this point, he's just another guy who looks like Goku and can power-up into multiple SSJ forms...like Goku.

NEO0MJ

Doesn't Extreme Butoden have 25 characters?

Sad thing is, I wouldn't mind Bardock being around if a) it would mean a Saiyan that still had a tail and could go Oozaru and b) could have unique abilities (from Towa or otherwise) that would set him apart. But at this point, he's just another guy who looks like Goku and can power-up into multiple SSJ forms...like Goku.

Seriously. I'd take Devil Man over him. Actually, that guy is one of the few Dragon Ball reps that come to mind who can easily work with this game's system, along with Tao and Tambourine. But maybe I just thought of them because all of them showed up in Budokai Tenkaichi 3 :p

NeonZ

He's boring, especially in a fighting game.
I can't think of anything iconic he has.

His desperate blast and his rush down against Freeza soldiers were pretty cool, but the issue is that they only really work as cutscenes like in Tenkaichi 3 or DB Fusions. Without the specific camera angles his blast is pretty much just a generic ki blast.

I guess the rush sequence could be adapted into a few grab moves though.

Slaythe

He's boring, especially in a fighting game.
I can't think of anything iconic he has.

He already has his moveset done, they made him for Extreme Butoden.

Gave him that spinning kick from episode bardock and super saiyan, then the usual generic stuff with a nice looking effect to make it look good.

Still stealing a spot from characters that did stuff in the manga though.

Gonna have so many Goku lookalikes...

Goku SS, Goku Blue, Ultimate Gohan, Bardock, Goku Black ...

cordy

Banned
Watch this have the exact same roster as EB with the omission of base Goku, Vegeta and Gohan.

:(

Judging my prediction list, 18 of the 24 characters I have were in EB. The only ones that aren't are Roshi, Bulma, Tien, Hercule, 17 and 16.

Either way most of the EB roster will likely be at least 75% of the roster.

Alienous

I don't expect Bardock to be on the roster. He hasn't been relevant in decades, and there are too many characters who'd be ahead of him when building a fighting game roster.

It'd have to be a publisher mandate, and I can see Goku Black taking up that slot (seeing as many pre-orders for Xenoverse 2 were sold off of the back of him).

cordy

Banned
Here's the Extreme Butoden roster.

Goku
Goku (SSj)
Goku (SSG)
Goku (SSB)
Kid Gohan
Teen Gohan (SSj2)
Adult Gohan (SSj)
Ultimate Gohan
Piccolo
Krillin
Vegeta
Vegeta (SSj)
Future Trunks
Gotenks
Raditz
Nappa
Captain Ginyu
Frieza
Android 18
Cell
Majin Buu
Kid Buu
Bardock
Beerus
Broly

Just look at the ones that are definitely making it in, it's like I said when the game was first announced. The limited roster is going to kill a lot of characters' chances especially given when they said they the game was made during Extreme Butoden's development. They'll likely have most of the same characters. Extreme Butoden came out in Japan mid-2015 so just imagine where the series was at that time and there ya go.

TreIII

Seriously. I'd take Devil Man over him. Actually, that guy is one of the few Dragon Ball reps that come to mind who can easily work with this game's system, along with Tao and Tambourine. But maybe I just thought of them because all of them showed up in Budokai Tenkaichi 3 :p

As much as I would love for some classic DB reps to get in, my hopes have been pretty dashed after they already said Tao's not in.

That said, Spike the Devilman would be a very nice pick. And hey, if Dabura and Towa somehow get in, too, that be three unique reps for the Demon World to help offset all the Saiyans.

Watch this have the exact same roster as EB with the omission of base Goku, Vegeta and Gohan.

:(

If only I'd be so fortunate to have my boy Nappa. But short of timeline shenanigans and/or Heroes-style "anything goes", there's no reason for him to be here.

I don't expect Bardock to be on the roster. He hasn't been relevant in decades, and there are too many characters who'd be ahead of him when building a fighting game roster.

It'd have to be a publisher mandate, and I can see Goku Black taking up that slot (seeing as many pre-orders for Xenoverse 2 were sold off of the back of him).

I wouldn't say he's irrelevant. He's been in practically ever game since Budokai 3, and he's played a big role in the story of quite a few games outside of retelling of events from the original DBZ.

Kilrogg

paid requisite penance
Bardock might actually be too good a character - as in, he has a very tight character arc, and that's what defines him before anything else - to translate well into a fighting game character. Despite his awesome fights (well, fight) in the TV special, his shtick isn't fighting. It's going from a murderous mercenary to a tragic character who is powerless to save his race against an almighty tyrant and the incredulity of his own people. As someone pointed out, his techniques work in a narrative context, but they're not really techniques. It's just him fighting however he can with his instinct. He's not a martial artist type character, nor a typical shounen character. He's very different from every other DBZ character. Trunks has a bit of that quality to him thanks to the History of Trunks special that fleshed out his character and his background, but he's still a fighter with his own techniques and the traditional martial arts structure of being trained by a master who taught him everything he know.

Contrast Bardock with Goku and pretty much every other main and secondary character in the series: they all have character traits and, most importantly, distinct techniques and/or physical attributes. From the Kamehameha to the Taiyouken, from the Kikouhou to the Soukidan, from stretchable arms to the ability to bend and modify their bodies at will. Even those who don't have named techniques in the manga or anime still have recognizable attacks, like Frieza's "death beam". Some of them have character arcs, but it mostly boils down to "bad guy becomes good" or "arrogant dude became more humble", and in some cases, those arcs are all over the place (did anyone say Gohan?). But it doesn't matter in the context of a fighting game. All they need is to have enough techniques that can be made into special attacks, and to have had enough screentime/manga pages to be made into a regular moveset.

With all that said, I hope we get a story mode à la Budokai 1. That stuff was mindblowing at the time, and the best kind of fanservice, especially for people who wanted to get the DBZ experience in the original language. None of that alternate reality/time travel bullshit of games like Budokai 2 and Xenoverse. But I have a feeling I'll be disappointed. This really doesn't seem to be the focus, and I don't know that the 3v3 structure and "1 transformation per character" rule will lend themselves well to the retelling of the story. I mean, how can Piccolo and Goku against Raditz work when it's 2v1, Goku isn't a Super Saiyan, and Raditz might not even make it into the roster?

[FAKE EDIT] Note: when it comes to Bardock, I'm only talking about the original TV special where we first learn about him and the story of the demise of planet Vegeta. That shitty "Bardock is the legendary Super Saiyan who defeated Frieza's ancestor" doesn't exist.

Sheroking

They said that some characters were going to be designed to be stronger support characters than fighters to tackle some in-universe balance issues. Which means team shells are almost definitely going to be limited to fewer than 24 possible point characters and fewer than 24 possible support characters, for example.

NEO0MJ

As much as I would love for some classic DB reps to get in, my hopes have been pretty dashed after they already said Tao's not in.

Seriously? That sucks.

They said that some characters were going to be designed to be stronger support characters than fighters to tackle some in-universe balance issues. Which means team shells are almost definitely going to be limited to fewer than 24 possible point characters and fewer than 24 possible support characters, for example.

I'm not sure if this is the best path to go with, especially since like many mentioned Frieza is great at both. Those support characters need something amazing in order to be pick.

Here's the Extreme Butoden roster.

Goku
Goku (SSj)
Goku (SSG)
Goku (SSB)
Kid Gohan
Teen Gohan (SSj2)
Adult Gohan (SSj)
Ultimate Gohan
Piccolo
Krillin
Vegeta
Vegeta (SSj)
Future Trunks
Gotenks
Raditz
Nappa
Captain Ginyu
Frieza
Android 18
Cell
Majin Buu
Kid Buu
Bardock
Beerus
Broly

Just look at the ones that are definitely making it in, it's like I said when the game was first announced. The limited roster is going to kill a lot of characters' chances especially given when they said they the game was made during Extreme Butoden 2's development. They'll likely have most of the same characters. Extreme Butoden came out in Japan mid-2015 so just imagine where the series was at that time and there ya go.

Yeah, this is depressing.

I want Super characters.

Yeah.... I'll believe that when I see it.

So far no character revealed demonstrates that design. Right now two of the strongest point characters also have probably the strongest assists revealed so far,(Vegeta and Frieza) while Gohan is probably the weakest point character and assist atm despite being described as a huge damage dealer.

I am really excited for this game. Along with Ori, it might be the only game that I felt hyped for out of E3 this year.

However, I didn't really keep up with the news, and I really want to know, did they reveal anything about the modes Fighterz will have, particularly, a story mode? and will it be like the games before Xenoverse (a retelling of the DBZ story) or will it have an original storyline like Xenoverse?

From what I remember, they said there's going to be decent focus on the single-player experience.

Here:

"There will be a lot of elements and modes which will allow players to enjoy the game, even in single-player. I can't get too far into what those will be but there will be a huge emphasis on single player content along with the fighting game aspect."

No specifics so far.

From what I remember, they said there's going to be decent focus on the single-player experience.

Here:

No specifics so far.

That sounds kinda promising, I hope it has some decent single-player modes, along with a satisfying roster. I know this is way way way far-fetched, but a roster similar to Budokai Tenchkai 3 will make me so happy. I remember the sheer exhilaration of having all those characters to pick up from.

Thank you very much :)

That sounds kinda promising, I hope it has some decent single-player modes, along with a satisfying roster. I know this is way way way far-fetched, but a roster similar to Budokai Tenchkai 3 will make me so happy. I remember the sheer exhilaration of having all those characters to pick up from.

Thank you very much :)

It is. Don't expect it.

dci260

I need that Tien announcement so that I can have a new avatar. :)

Also, I don't care about the odds with him never having been in a 2d Dragon Ball fighting game,17 better be in this game with the way he is being represented in Super. Even if it only sticks to mostly Z, his fight with Piccolo (which is one of my absolute favorites in all of Dragon Ball) is reason alone for his inclusion.

Bishop89

Ultimately I would love a 1:1 copy of ultimate battle 22's roster (bonus character and all) but know that won't happen.

At the very least I want dbz movie villains (garlic jnr, janemba)

Slaythe

Ultimately I would love a 1:1 copy of ultimate battle 22's roster (bonus character and all) but know that won't happen.

At the very least I want dbz movie villains (garlic jnr, janemba)

1) "At the very least" lol, you're not getting any villains from the movies besides Broly and maybe another one if lucky. That's the kind of characters you add once the main ones from the real stories are done, certainly not for a first game, if the roster is limited.

2) The UB 22 roster would be kinda terrible, as it's missing anything from Super, Broly, 17, Nappa, while featuring useless characters like Supreme Kai, Goten, Trunks, SSJ3 Goku etc..

can we have as little duplicate characters as possible and get rid of all the outdated non relevant characters.

SSB Goku, Vegeta and Mystic Gohan max. No other duplicatess.

Ditch nappa, raditz, ginyu force, saibamen, etc and focus on the power houses from z/gt/super and movies. I really dont want this to be a game where there are 5 variations of the same character.

can we have as little duplicate characters as possible and get rid of all the outdated non relevant characters.

SSB Goku, Vegeta and Mystic Gohan max. No other duplicatess.

Ditch nappa, raditz, ginyu force, saibamen, etc and focus on the power houses from z/gt/super and movies. I really dont want this to be a game where there are 5 variations of the same character.

I actually would love to have some variations of the same character, especially if they have their own set of special moves, and play differently. On the other hand, having less non-relevant characters is something I can live with, but I think they have their purpose in the game in reasonable doses.

I actually would love to have some variations of the same character, especially if they have their own set of special moves, and play differently. On the other hand, having less non-relevant characters is something I can live with, but I think they have their purpose in the game in reasonable doses.

I could see them having a few alt forms, like SSB Goku etc.
Guilty Gear X had a completely different version of Ky Kiske with entirely unique animations, and he was an obscure as hell unlock who as far as I remember never showed up again in the series. So I think them adding in SSB Goku into the main roster with unique animations is well within the realms of possibility.

For some reason i really want to see Super 13 and Tapion in this game. Probably wont happen in the initial roster, but i feel like most previous dragon ball games never gave these two a fair shot.

Would love to see black goku.......another variation which goes against my original point, but he was so badass.

SAB CA

Sketchbook Picasso
DHMOACJXcAA4fXb.jpg:orig

Bandai Namco UK‏:
#DragonBallFighterZ at @gamescom will feature Goku, Vegeta, Gohan, Freezer, Cell, Majin Buu, Trunks, Krillin and Piccolo!

Has that image been seen in direct feed before? Sorry if so. Were we expecting the possible 10th to premiere in this build at Gamescon?

LordKasual

Banned
Bardock is shit.

But he's been forced into every single game made in the past decade, so let's not pretend like he's not gonna be in this. =(

I simply do not understand him.

even Toriyama is confused by people's odd obsession with him.

I'm really hoping for a 17 reveal soon....he was a pretty unique fighter even in DBZ (almost no energy blasts, pure melee / speed), but as of DBSuper he's definitely a character that requires a spot.

Slaythe

It's only now that I'm realizing Krillin has skin-coloured eyes.

Strange.

Toriyama designed him with white eyes, but the anime decided to ruin that for some reason.

DRAGON.BALL.full.1276674.jpg

I simply do not understand him.

even Toriyama is confused by people's odd obsession with him.

I mean, he'd be fine later down the road, but stealing spot from manga people is just obnoxious. :/

Forcing him to be another super saiyan is also garbage.

Ravelle

It's only now that I'm realizing Krillin has skin-coloured eyes.

Strange.

I double checked the source material to see if it wasn't a game thing but you're right, everyone else has white colored eyes but he doesn't.

I wonder if if it's a coloring mistake that happened in the cartoon, realized it was too and it was too late to fix it because it would make him look different.

I hate him, and really hope he doesn't get in, but does Omega Shenron have a chance, or has no GT been confirmed?
He's been in a load of games since Budokai 3, and usually either as the main antagonist, final boss, or final unlockable character.

TreIII

well if you translate directly from japanese, it's clearly "Freezer", and we had that name for the longest time in europe

Frieza is just the japanese pronunciation, like they say sup"a" for sup"er" sayian

Well, actually, the "official" Japanese romanization is "Freeza". A recent ep of Super even had it.

The "i" is just something that western dubs added, and never bothered changing.

Slaythe

I'm really hoping for a 17 reveal soon....he was a pretty unique fighter even in DBZ (almost no energy blasts, pure melee / speed), but as of DBSuper he's definitely a character that requires a spot.

A game without the warrior of Darkness is not a game I want to play.

Rhaknar

The Steam equivalent of the drunk friend who keeps offering to pay your tab all night.
Well, actually, the "official" Japanese romanization is "Freeza". A recent ep of Super even had it.

The "i" is just something that western dubs added, and never bothered changing.

but "freeza" isnt a word. Freezer is.

which would also fit with the whole food names theme.

Quebaz

well if you translate directly from japanese, it's clearly "Freezer", and we had that name for the longest time in europe

Frieza is just the japanese pronunciation, like they say sup"a" for sup"er" sayian

Actually that's not 100% correct. Freezer would be フリーザー (Furiizaa) while Toriyama writes the character's name as フリーザ (Furiiza) as to not be exactly like the pun it's sourcing off as. Since you don't spell freezer as friezer I always found it odd that Funimation went with Frieza and not Freeza.

NEO0MJ

I hate him, and really hope he doesn't get in, but does Omega Shenron have a chance, or has no GT been confirmed?
He's been in a load of games since Budokai 3, and usually either as the main antagonist, final boss, or final unlockable character.

Why do you hate him?

Top Bottom