• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dragon Ball FighterZ - Characters, Specials, and Stages Discussion

TreIII

Is there like a interview or something? Was always curious what his exact words were concerning this

Kanzenshuu's got you.

Apparently, it’s been 17 whole years since the last animated Dragon Ball movie! To be able to have a new work made after so many years and months have passed, I have to thank all the people who have given their support. For all the animation up to now, I’ve basically just left everything up [to the staff], so this is my first try at being involved starting from the story’s creation. At any rate, it was quite a long time ago that I drew Dragon Ball, so I had to start by working to remember it. I pulled out the comics [i.e., the tankōbon] of my own work, which it’s fair to say I never look at; and as I flipped through it, even though I’ve gotten older, as you’d expect of the original creator, I was quickly able to recapture the feeling from back then. The keywords this time, “God of Destruction Beerus” and “Super Saiyan God”, were suggestions from the scriptwriter, but they were good ideas for presenting a crisis for the main characters, who had grown so strong that they’d reached a point where there was nothing higher. I borrowed these ideas, and after first deciding on Beerus’ character design and background, I tried thinking up an original story, imagining it as though [the manga’s] serialization had continued. The God of Destruction Beerus, who I drew the design for myself (something I don’t usually do), is a terrifying opponent so overwhelmingly strong that he surpasses the dimension of the previous enemies. But it’s my trademark to not let things get too dark. At the very least, I’m satisfied that it’s been finished up as a very entertaining piece of work.

By the way, the battle scenes in the second half are particularly overwhelming! I was moved because the presentation exceeded my expectations. While I had expected, “It probably won’t be any good,” it was greatly different from a certain country’s live-action movie, which really was no good. Just as you’d expect, Japan’s animation is superb! Everyone on the staff, you really did a great job!!

Well, please enjoy the first Dragon Ball in a long time!

- http://www.kanzenshuu.com/2013/05/20/akira-toriyama-directly-comments-on-dragon-ball-evolution/

There's plenty more there, but Toriyama went from being initially cordial towards Evolution to being completely real about it in a few short years.

Tsunamo

Toriyamas passion for the hate of Evolution to the point where he went full on in Dragon Ball to makesure that never happens again is a fantastic story. Without that movie we may have not been where we are today with Dragon Ball media.

Sephzilla

Toriyama hating Evolution plus DragonBall Z Abridged getting a following basically brewed the perfect storm for Dragonball to get a really solid revival

TreIII

Toriyamas passion for the hate of Evolution to the point where he went full on in Dragon Ball to makesure that never happens again is a fantastic story. Without that movie we may have not been where we are today with Dragon Ball media.

No doubt.

And especially after Super DBZ basically flopped, I would have never expected anybody to be willing to try their luck with a much more "competitive" Dragonball fighting game, ever again. Yet, here we are.

Sephzilla

RvkHmu4.gif

LotusHD

Banned
This feels a bit depersonalizing to me... I'm not really a fan of this. We finally have a good female villain in DBZ, & she's a mad scientist. That's the part I'm most excited for.

This "phase" pretty much happens with every new female character that is remotely attractive lol

Anyways, we don't know if she's good! She might be awful. ;D

Zubz

Banned
This "phase" pretty much happens with every new female character that is remotely attractive lol

Anyways, we don't know if she's good! She might be awful. ;D

Awful? For a villain, that's even better!

But I know this phase is bound to happen, & that we're not past this stage. But it still feels sexist to me, & not enough people are speaking out. I'm really excited for 21 (Not that one), but that's mutually exclusive from her being attractive.

I'm honestly mostly excited she's bringing the Androids back to the forefront. ... even if I can totally see Zamasu hijacking the plot.

Fj0823

Tenshinhan's Kiai reflector seems to be in. Nice.

I think Goku Black might be in the game, but he won't be involved in the story. The Trunks they have isn't Super Trunks, and Goku Black popping up would remove the focus from the androids.

Why in the World would you have the most popular Dragon Ball Villain since Cell be a background prop!?

Fj0823

Dawg this is the stuff that makes people dislike Super so much.

Buu needs to get his respect. He's massively popular.

Huh, last checked DB is on a popularity surge thanks to Super and Xenoverse...

He's not wrong though. Goku Black is extremely popular which is amazing since he debuted just last year.

Yeah, this.

Not a single one of us in the DB thread expected him to become that popular

Which is funny considseeing he's not even really the final villain

cordy

Banned
He's not wrong though. Goku Black is extremely popular which is amazing since he debuted just last year.

Nah he's straight wrong in this case. He said Goku Black is the most popular villain since Cell which is completely false. He's the most popular villain since Buu, not Cell. Buu was winning popularity polls over Freeza, Cell, 18 and many others.

Check out DB Kanzenban Official Guide: Dragon Ball Forever and see the polls there for confirmation. Actually, I'll go ahead and post the popularity poll.
Goku
Vegeta
Gohan
Trunks
Piccolo
Goten
Krillin
Majin Boo

Freeza
Android 18
Mr. Satan
Karin
Master Roshi
Cell
Yamcha
Tenshinhan
Bulma
Android 17
Yajirobe
Videl

Don't underestimate Buu.

Huh, last checked DB is on a popularity surge thanks to Super and Xenoverse...

You're still wrong if you think Goku Black's the most popular villain since Cell. You need to do some research before you make claims like that. He's the most popular since Buu. You're heavily underestimating Buu's popularity here.

It's that kind of talk which goes back to what I and many others say about Super (and Super characters) popularity compared to Z characters. Yall thinking Super characters go above certain Z characters simply because of what you see right now just makes people dislike Super.

Nah he's straight wrong in this case. He said Goku Black is the most popular villain since Cell which is completely false. He's the most popular villain since Buu, not Cell. Buu was winning popularity polls over Freeza, Cell, 18 and many others.

Check out DB Kanzenban Official Guide: Dragon Ball Forever and see the polls there.

I see. I can't believe Freeza is one spot below Buu.

In any case Black is more popular than Cell or Buu.

dci260

I love Tien's newer look! Hope they show some gameplay before the week is over, I gotta see Volleyball Fist moves in action.
Agreed, DBS Tien stands out more visually in my opinion. That's not to say that I have anything against his older designs, but his current one is a home-run for me.
I'm with you guys, I'm surprised I see it get so much hate. Looks awesome and very unique compared to the rest of the roster.

No, stop.

Glad we got the most memorable Yamcha. He looks great as does Tien and Chiaotzu.
I'm surprised they didn't go for Krillin with hair, it would fit the theme of skins for when the Earthlings were the biggest jokes.

cordy

Banned
I see. I can't believe Freeza is one spot below Buu.

In any case Black is more popular than both of them.

Nah Black's a very popular character but overall he's still less popular than the 3 main villains of Z. Yall gotta bring out receipts in this case because it looks as though it's just Super fandom goggles talking rather than facts. It's the main villains of Z, I mean it is what it is.

Idk why this is even being talked about because that should be common sense. It's nothing against Goku Black but we're talking about Freeza, Cell and Buu here. Yall know you shouldn't play around with these characters.

I'm surprised they didn't go for Krillin with hair, it would fit the theme of skins for when the Earthlings were the biggest jokes.

They could have but his current design is great enough for people who only know him from Z while also having him be his Super self. It's great IMO.

Balfour

You all need to cut it

One side needs to stop thinking Super is the best thing in the series. It's got its own fair share of issues.

and the other side needs to stop acting like Super isn't rightfully popular and remove their rose tinted glasses. Stop getting offended because people are talking about it all the time. Some of you all act like the game will be ruined if a Super character appeared in the roster

Top Bottom