• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dragon Ball FighterZ - Characters, Specials, and Stages Discussion

Village

Ah, that makes sense. Haven't looked too much into the games sales and I rarely buy them myself, but mostly because they don't really look great? I would hope a One Piece styled game like this would pull in more people. But if the market isn't there, that's a shame indeed.

I find that a lot one peice games aren't great, at least to me.

Maybe if they made a better one it would sell more? Maybe they need an ultimate ninja storm equivilant?

Speaking of which, I figure if there's another anime fighting game to pushed in the world wild mainstream down the pipe line, its naruto or machidamia

Neoxon

how about just getting cc2 to make asb2 but it's 60 fps now
I'd also accept this, & have it be properly balanced for competitive play (& an English dub now that JoJo is a recurring thing on Toonami).

If that happens, then yeah, let ASW do My Hero Academia next (or go full Shonen).

Maybe if they made a better one it would sell more? Maybe they need an ultimate ninja storm equivilant?

Speaking of which, I figure if there's another anime fighting game to pushed in the world wild mainstream down the pipe line, its naruto or machidamia

I would hope for HeroAca. Can't deny Naruto's popularity, but man am I just not a fan at all. I think HeroAca would be really fun and hella interesting. I came across this picture the other day and man do I wish it was real.

Astarte

I'd also accept this, & have it be properly balanced for competitive play (& an English dub now that JoJo is a recurring thing on Toonami).

If that happens, then yeah, let ASW do My Hero Academia next (or go full Shonen).

i mean asb current patch is pretty properly balanced for competitive play rn so it just needs engine tweaks and a roster that actually contains foo fighters

Just One Piece imo. One Piece fighter from ArcSys was my dream game before fighter Z was a twinkle in their eye

Who's buying that though?

That isn't condescending, market doesn't seem to be the biggest for one piece games

ArcSys games aren't big market games to begin with. lol

Even Fighter Z.

To most people. Their grand battle line ending with Rush was fun but they abandoned it for crappy games ever since.

Let ArcSys break the trend.

Naruto has their game and I think people are really overestimating the popularity of MHA both domestically and abroad.

ArcSys already made a One Piece fighter on the DS that was actually cross compatible with vs with Extreme Botouden. That's the main reason I even think it's worth getting my hopes up about.

Neoxon

The amount of shilling I would do for a My Hero Academia fighter by Arcsys
You & me both.

I would love that. Also they have almost an equal amount of female fighters as they do male in MHA.
DKgWgC_UMAAfa_Y.jpg
If we look at this theorized roster, less than half of the roster are females. And even then, there are some choices I'd swap out amongst both the guys & ladies. For example...
  • I'd personally swap Chargebolt for Grand Torino.
  • I'm not 100% on Earphone Jack even though I do like her as a character. I could see her having gameplay potential, though.
  • Grape Juice's absence is a bit odd considering that he'd be an interesting character from purely a play-style perspective.

Yeah but I don't think HxH is really a good choice for a 2D fighting game. The power sets are too complicated and a lot of the conflict isn't from head to head fighting. There's a reason only Gon and Killua ever show up in the cross over games.

One Piece has like the best cast for a 2D fighter from a shounen property period. Even DBZ. (I guess DBZ's universal power set works better for universal mechanics like flight and ranged ki attacks tho)

The powersets are simple and incredibly broad with tons of reference material for attacks in the source. Very easy to make distinct and interactive in a 2D fighting game.

Neoxon

If any Togashi series get's an ArcSys game, it should be the superior Yu Yu Hakusho tbh.

But that will never happen.
Even if it does happen, I'm not sure if everyone from the original Funimation cast would come back, which would break my heart.

As for MHA vs. HxH, as much as I love HxH, I gotta go with MHA on this one.

Yeah but I don't think HxH is really a good choice for a 2D fighting game. The power sets are too complicated. There's a reason only Gon and Killua ever show up in the cross over games.

One Piece has like the best cast for a 2D fighter from a shounen property period. Even DBZ. (I guess DBZ's universal power set works better for universal mechanics like flight and ranged ki attacks tho)

I agree with this. I always kinda imagine what it would be like and there is a lot of molds to go off of. Like some I-No stuff for Brook, Franky having to recharge his cola similar to Sin's calorie meter. Too much cool stuff.

Nen would probably be better suited for a fighting game, I just like YYH way more than HxH personally haha. The potential roster would probably be like Hokuto no Ken small.

Lulubop

Yeah but I don't think HxH is really a good choice for a 2D fighting game. The power sets are too complicated. There's a reason only Gon and Killua ever show up in the cross over games.

The powersets are simple and incredibly broad. Very easy to make distinct and interactive in a 2D fighting game.

This isn't even true and I proved you wrong in one of these threads already, or at least got okne of those agree to disagree. But it's not try and hxh would fit likke a glove for asw.

Neoxon

Nen and the creativity of powersets in hxh work much better for asw game
I'm still amazed by how Nen has maintained its balance thus far in terms of preventing a major power creep like in Dragon Ball (though DB already established the Zen-Ohs as the power ceiling). In MHA's case, they just made All Might the power ceiling & called it a day (though One For All by its nature is a natural power creep, but it only goes up as it's passed on from person to person). But in HxH, clearly a lot of thought went into the Nen system.

Lulubop

You didn't prove me wrong because there's no way to prove it. lol We continue to disagree.
Because you bowed out before we even started fam, you got nothing.

There's nothing complex about characters like Netero, Morel or Hisoka's hatsu but they still have the flexibility to be used extremely creatively. Then you have a character like Knuckle or Lucifer who ASW can just go all out with. These are just a few examples.

I don't think One Piece even with its mighty popularity and surpassing Dragon Ball in manga sales recently can sell as much as this Dragon Ball game outside Japan.

Because you bowed out before we even started fam, you got nothing.

There's nothing complex about characters like Netero, Morel or Hisoka's hatsu but they still have the flexibility to be used extremely creatively.

I don't want to get into it lol. There's nothing I need to say.

All I have to do is point to how HxH has, despite its longevity and popularity, never really transitioned into video games. Fighting game or otherwise.

Then you have a character like Knuckle or Lucifer who ASW can just go all out with. These are just a few examples.

Chrollo's last fight came with like a novel of text covering the conditions of his powers that he has to juggle. I think you may be over estimating the complexity of ArcSys characters. At the end of the day Sol is just a guy that punches people really hard and makes fire come out. Fighting games need simple, broad and explicit material. HxH is the anti-thesis of all three.

I don't think One Piece even with its mighty popularity and surpassing Dragon Ball in manga sales recently can sell as much as this Dragon Ball game outside Japan.

It's not about sales lol

I don't want to get into it lol. There's nothing I need to say.

All I have to do is point to how HxH has, despite its longevity and popularity, never really transitioned into video games. Fighting game or otherwise.

It's not about sales lol

Why make a point, but don't want to get into it when questioned? Lmao

smh
tumblr_n01tdjktGv1sosnz6o1_500.gif

I do have to agree with you on One Piece being the next best game Arcystems should make. Such a diverse cast!

I think my biggest problem with HxH is just that I really don't care about Gon or Killua, so even if it's a far more consistent in quality series than YYH, the main cast is just unlikable in comparison to me. YYH has the GOAT main cast. Leorio, Biske, and Knuckle are god tier tho. If I can play as Knuckle in a HxH fighting game, sign me the fuck up. And his intro has to be him petting dogs.

Why make a point, but don't want to get into it when questioned? Lmao

I'm fine talking about it but not on the premise of "I already proved you wrong" lol

I edited my post to respond to at least one of his points tho

Chrollo's last fight came with like a novel of text covering the conditions of his powers that he has to juggle. I think you may be over estimating the complexity of ArcSys characters. At the end of the day Sol is just a guy that punches people really hard and makes fire come out. Fighting games need simple, broad and explicit material. HxH is the anti-thesis of all three.

I think my biggest problem with HxH is just that I really don't care about Gon or Killua, so even if it's a far more consistent in quality series than YYH, the main cast is just unlikable in comparison to me. YYH has the GOAT main cast. Leorio, Biske, and Knuckle are god tier tho. If I can play as Knuckle in a HxH fighting game, sign me the fuck up. And his intro has to be him petting dogs.

Team Urameshi really is one of the best teams in anime they all complement each other beautifully.

YYH cast is pretty goat tier because of how insanely good the chemistry between them is. The roster for a YYH fighting game would be hard to pull off with the lack of screen time for most of the side characters. Out of the Four Kings, only Yomi got a solid detailed fight.

This is a ugly roster.

Lulubop

Lucifer is one character, and has a lot kf straight forward abilities in his kit. They can tone him down but if there's one team who can conceptualize him into a fighting game it's ASW.

Team Urameshi is the GOAT squad for sure.

This is funny because I always thought the core cast of HxH had the same dynamics/archetypes of the core YYH cast.(Killua = Hiei, Kurapica = Kurama, Leorio = Kuwabara) Just with more depth of character.

Like that was one of the reasons Togashi got tired of doing YYH. He felt his characters had fully developed like half way through the series. That's why he went all out with the villains and as a result they're infinitely more interesting.

I want a Trigger x Gainax fightig game by Treasure. Their Bleach fighters were legit the best games out of that franchise and solid games in their own right.

YYH cast is pretty goat tier because of how insanely good the chemistry between them is. The roster for a YYH fighting game would be hard to pull off with the lack of screen time for most of the side characters. Out of the Four Kings, only Yomi got a solid detailed fight.

This is a ugly roster.

YYH had a lot of fighting games and they were kinda wack. YYH Forever is the best one.

I feel like there's too much fodder in YYH. I think you could maybe get like 10-12 really decent characters out of the entire series. Maybe 16-18 if you add the reoccurring Dark Tournament guys even though they're kinda boring

This is funny because I always thought the core cast of HxH had the same dynamics/archetypes of the core YYH cast.(Killua = Hiei, Kurapica = Kurama, Leorio = Kuwabara) Just with more depth of character.

Like that was one of the reasons Togashi got tired of doing YYH. He felt his characters had fully developed like half way through the series. That's why he went all out with the villains and as a result they're infinitely more interesting.

The core concept is definitely similar. I just have a mad soft spot for that Bancho/Delinquent character and Kuwabara is one of my favorite characters ever. I def understand the feeling that they were fully developed, and writing with that would be difficult. I just never really felt a connection to Gon or Killua in the same way, even if they had more depth or motivation to do what they're doing. I connected a lot with Leorio and to an extent Kurapika, but I felt that they got way less screen time and when it was down to just Gon and Killua for majority of the series, it was pretty deflating for me. They aren't abd characters at all, just not ones I care for. I at least applaud the series for sticking them with awesome characters like Biske when the rest of the main cast wasn't around.

Also yeah, the roster for a YYH would have to be like HnK ArcSys small. Main cast, the main villiians and some random character to fill a missing archetype lacking from the iconic characters.

Lucifer is one character, and has a lot kf straight forward abilities in his kit. They can tone him down but if there's one team who can conceptualize him into a fighting game it's ASW.

Why bother working with something you have to tone down though? lol

That's kind of a sign that it's not the greatest choice to me

and yes he's one example but he's YOUR example lol. Same thing with Knuckle. He just fights barehanded. His power itself is completely uninteractive. You'd just be going back and forth trying to get Potclean to bankrupt them to I guess lock their meter. That's not the worst idea but he has nothing big outside of that. On it's own it's half baked.

Straw Hats tho, still going strong to this day lol

The only one that stands next to Team Urameshi for me. Also GOAT squad.

Same thing with Knuckle. He just fights barehanded. His power itself is completely uninteractive. You'd just be going back and forth trying to get Potclean to bankrupt them to I guess lock their meter. That's not the worst idea but he has nothing big outside of that. On it's own it's half baked.

I'm not so sure he would translate well myself, I just adore him, so if a HxH game ever happened, he would be the first person I would want playable haha.

The core concept is definitely similar. I just have a mad soft spot for that Bancho/Delinquent character and Kuwabara is one of my favorite characters ever. I def understand the feeling that they were fully developed, and writing with that would be difficult. I just never really felt a connection to Gon or Killua in the same way, even if they had more depth or motivation to do what they're doing. I connected a lot with Leorio and to an extent Kurapika, but I felt that they got way less screen time and when it was down to just Gon and Killua for majority of the series, it was pretty deflating for me. They aren't abd characters at all, just not ones I care for. I at least applaud the series for sticking them with awesome characters like Biske when the rest of the main cast wasn't around.

Aww this bums me out. Especially in regards to Killua who is like the best developed character in the entire series and one of the best written shounen characters period.

and yeah Kurapica and Leorio got a lot less screen time but I think that's what this current arc is about. Togashi has completed Gon and Killua's stories so now he's working towards resolving Kurapica and Leorio's as well as the series itself with this current arc.

It'll take a while but I'm confident it'll be worthwhile in the end.

I'm not so sure he would translate well myself, I just adore him, so if a HxH game ever happened, he would be the first person I would want playable haha.

Yeah same! lol

I love the series. I think HxH has consistently been the best thing running in Jump whenever it comes back. I just don't think it works as a fighting game. and that's fine. It's not trying to be a standard battle shounen.

Aww this bums me out. Especially in regards to Killua who is like the best developed character in the entire series and one of the best written shounen characters period.

and yeah Kurapica and Leorio got a lot less screen time but I think that's what this current arc is about. Togashi has completed Gon and Killua's stories so now he's working towards resolving Kurapica and Leorio's as well as the series itself with this current arc.

It'll take a while but I'm confident it'll be worthwhile in the end.

I only watched like 103 episodes of the 2011 Anime and read like 45 chapters of the manga, so maybe if I go back I'll feel differently. Glad to hear Togashi has gone back to them. I'll definitely catch up one of these days. Just caught up to HeroAca so I need a new series to read on my commute to work.

I only watched like 103 episodes of the 2011 Anime and read like 45 chapters of the manga, so maybe if I go back I'll feel differently. Glad to hear Togashi has gone back to them. I'll definitely catch up one of these days. Just caught up to HeroAca so I need a new series to read on my commute to work.

Please do! It's really good.

The anime only covers to the conclusion of the election arc, which is what concludes Killua and Gon's stories. Currently in the manga they're both completely uninvolved with the current conflict. RN Kurapica is essentially the protagonist.

I fucking love how Togashi has handled Kurapika. When he left after the Hunter exams, it made him feel like much more of a character. His goals were not secondary to Gon's goals, he had his own.

The whole clan revenge story, and the scarlet eyes is what inspired Kishimoto's Sasuke/Uchiha clan stuff isn't it?

Lulubop

Why bother working with something you have to tone down though? lol

That's kind of a sign that it's not the greatest choice to me

and yes he's one example but he's YOUR example lol. Same thing with Knuckle. He just fights barehanded. His power itself is completely uninteractive. You'd just be going back and forth trying to get Potclean to bankrupt them to I guess lock their meter. That's not the worst idea but he has nothing big outside of that. On it's own it's half baked.

What I mean is you can have him be a doctor strange type of character and have him have a big book of spells, some of which work well together or they can have him be a character who combine spells, have things depend on if he's holding the book with one hand, etc. Both are faithful to the character. No shit he's my character, he works well either way. The beauty of nen is the flexibility and asw can translate it into a fighter with as much complexity as they want.

DrDogg

ArcSys games aren't big market games to begin with. lol

Even Fighter Z.

If you think FighterZ won't outsell almost every other fighting game, I think you are drastically underestimating it. I would not be surprised it is sells more than any other modern fighting game aside from Mortal Kombat. At the very least it will sell better than SF5, MvCI and probably Tekken 7.

Top Bottom