• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dragon Ball FighterZ - Characters, Specials, and Stages Discussion

Sixfortyfive

He who pursues two rabbits gets two rabbits.
I'll jump in on roster wishlist/speculation, why not.

"Realistic" expectation for core ~20 character roster:

• Goku
    [*]Gohan
    [*]Vegeta
    [*]Trunks
    [*]Frieza
    [*]Cell
    [*]Buu
  • Piccolo Jr.
  • Krillin
  • Beerus
  • Goku Black / Zamasu
  • Tenshinhan (Chiaotsu as assist/puppet)
  • Gotenks
  • Hit
  • Roshi
  • Caulifla
  • Broly
  • Tao

Thoughts:

I would prefer (and sort of expect) there to be a very small number of "alternate versions" of characters compared to other DB games, especially for those versions who are just power-ups without particularly distinct changes in fighting style. As in: I expect SSB Goku to be a transformation technique similar to Golden Frieza, and not a distinct character. Alt forms that are considerably more varied (e.g. Pure Buu, which is basically a different character altogether anyway) are more likely to end up as distinct selectable characters. I expect some amalgamations. Like even though the Trunks revealed for this game is clearly his Android Saga version, I'd expect him to have inherited some techniques from the Future Trunks in DBS before I'd expect DBS Future Trunks to be a distinct character in this game.

The veteran DB characters with the highest likelihood of showing up are those who are also getting a lot of screen time in Super. In other words, I expect the entire Universe 7 team to be playable. Roshi wouldn't be on my list otherwise. Tao is basically a wishlist choice; I don't expect much original DB representation.

I expect minimal GT / movie representation, but this might be more personal bias than anything, really. I'd pick Kale over Broly personally, but the latter is way more likely to show up due to legacy reasons, and with other options available for token Universe 6 representation anyway (Caulifla?), Kale's odds are low.

Gotenks and Vegito are the only likely fusions imo. Gotenks because of moveset potential and because I think it's kind of hard to justify kid Goten or kid Trunks individually. Vegito because of popularity and renewed relevance in Super. I think I'd prefer Vegito to be an in-game combination technique to be used when you have Goku & Vegeta on the same team instead of a distinct, selectable character, but I might be in the minority on that one.

The main thing that would increase the odds of other candidates would be how comprehensive and robust the story mode is for this game. In other words, if there's a concerted effort into lengthening the single-player content, then expect more villains from various eras (Radditz, Nappa, Zarbon, Ginyu, Gero, Dabura, etc.) or movie characters to round out the list. If not, expect more bench-warmers (Yamcha).

On a personal wishlist level, I think I'd like it the best if some joke characters (Bulma, Yajirobe, Satan, Launch, Arale, Puar, whoever) were playable and also somehow broken, 'cause I'd definitely play that shit just to troll.

FerroN91

Neo Member
Why do people want Arale? I can't see that character translating into a good fighting game character.
also she's just a bad character

Neoxon

I'll jump in on roster wishlist/speculation, why not.

"Realistic" expectation for core ~20 character roster:

• Goku
    [*]Gohan
    [*]Vegeta
    [*]Trunks
    [*]Frieza
    [*]Cell
    [*]Buu
  • Piccolo Jr.
  • Krillin
  • Beerus
  • Goku Black / Zamasu
  • Tenshinhan (Chiaotsu as assist/puppet)
  • Gotenks
  • Hit
  • Roshi
  • Caulifla
  • Broly
  • Tao

Thoughts:

I would prefer (and sort of expect) there to be a very small number of "alternate versions" of characters compared to other DB games, especially for those versions who are just power-ups without particularly distinct changes in fighting style. As in: I expect SSB Goku to be a transformation technique similar to Golden Frieza, and not a distinct character. Alt forms that are considerably more varied (e.g. Pure Buu, which is basically a different character altogether anyway) are more likely to end up as distinct selectable characters. I expect some amalgamations. Like even though the Trunks revealed for this game is clearly his Android Saga version, I'd expect him to have inherited some techniques from the Future Trunks in DBS before I'd expect DBS Future Trunks to be a distinct character in this game.

The veteran DB characters with the highest likelihood of showing up are those who are also getting a lot of screen time in Super. In other words, I expect the entire Universe 7 team to be playable. Roshi wouldn't be on my list otherwise. Tao is basically a wishlist choice; I don't expect much original DB representation.

I expect minimal GT / movie representation, but this might be more personal bias than anything, really. I'd pick Kale over Broly personally, but the latter is way more likely to show up due to legacy reasons, and with other options available for token Universe 6 representation anyway (Caulifla?), Kale's odds are low.

Gotenks and Vegito are the only likely fusions imo. Gotenks because of moveset potential and because I think it's kind of hard to justify kid Goten or kid Trunks individually. Vegito because of popularity and renewed relevance in Super. I think I'd prefer Vegito to be an in-game combination technique to be used when you have Goku & Vegeta on the same team instead of a distinct, selectable character, but I might be in the minority on that one.

The main thing that would increase the odds of other candidates would be how comprehensive and robust the story mode is for this game. In other words, if there's a concerted effort into lengthening the single-player content, then expect more villains from various eras (Radditz, Nappa, Zarbon, Ginyu, Gero, Dabura, etc.) or movie characters to round out the list. If not, expect more bench-warmers (Yamcha).

On a personal wishlist level, I think I'd like it the best if some joke characters (Bulma, Yajirobe, Satan, Launch, Arale, Puar, whoever) were playable and also somehow broken, 'cause I'd definitely play that shit just to troll.
In terms of U6 Saiyan representation, wouldn't Cabba make more sense? Unless Toei gave ASW some intel, ASW wouldn't have much to go on for Caulifla right now beyond one move (unless they just make shit up). Hell, you could even throw Ultimate Gohan in that slot (older Gohan, potential for different moves, completes the U7 team, etc.) seeing as Hit already reps U6.

Eylos

Banned
In terms of U6 Saiyan representation, wouldn't Cabba make more sense? Unless Toei gave ASW some intel, ASW wouldn't have much to go on for Caulifla right now beyond one move (unless they just make shit up).
Well the game is for early 2018, and the tournment starts this weekend, there's time for that.

Giga Man

Mukuru, natsume, ruka, IS the ones i found except for mukuru they are Very secondary

Looked them up, and now I remember them all. Man, the Three Kings saga brought out all the heavy hitting characters right when the show was ending. Mukuro was dope.

Neoxon

Well the game is for early 2018, and the tournment starts this weekend, there's time for that.
True, but unless the guys at ASW are flying by the seat of their pants for the development of the roster, they would have had to decide the base roster a while ago.

Sixfortyfive

He who pursues two rabbits gets two rabbits.
In terms of U6 Saiyan representation, wouldn't Cabba make more sense? Unless Toei gave ASW some intel, ASW wouldn't have much to go on for Caulifla right now beyond one move (unless they just make shit up). Hell, you could even throw Ultimate Gohan in that slot (older Gohan, potential for different moves, completes the U7 team, etc.) seeing as Hit already reps U6.

Pretty sure that I read that the director likes Caulifla, and that informs my expectations a bit.

I wouldn't be too surprised at some version of adult Gohan, either.

LotusHD

Banned

What does Cabba bring to the table again?

Neoxon

What does Cabba bring to the table again
Good point. Then yeah, fill that slot with Ultimate Gohan.

I should probably try Cabba in Xenoverse 2 sometime.

Pretty sure that I read that the director likes Caulifla, and that informs my expectations a bit.

I wouldn't be too surprised at some version of adult Gohan, either.
In that case, I could see Caulifla being a pre-order bonus (because Bandai Namco) or just a general DLC character early on.

ElFly

What does Cabba bring to the table again?

mule kick, maybe being a nimbler Vegeta

me thinks U6 could be DLC: Hit, Cabbe, Kale and Caulifla, maybe Frost and Champa

outside of Beerus/Whis/Golden Freeza I don't expect much Super related material to be in the base game

maybe SSB install for Goku/Vegeta, hopefully Ikari form for FTrunks (and not the lame slow buffed SSJ)

Neoxon

me thinks U6 could be DLC: Hit, Cabba, Kale and Caulifla, maybe Frost and Champa

outside of Beerus/Whis/Golden Freeza I don't expect much Super related material to be in the base game

maybe SSB install for Goku/Vegeta, hopefully Ikari form for FTrunks (and not the lame slow buffed SSJ)
Hit has a pretty good chance at being there on Day 1, given his popularity.

ElFly

Hit has a pretty good chance at being there on Day 1, given his popularity.

I think they are gonna limit the core game to DBZ / 2 latest movies at most, given how Super is just now barely starting to air in america

they first showed the game at E3, not in japan; they plan this to be a game for everybody and that will sadly mean constraining themselves to DBZ

Spman2099

Im expecting 21 characters at most. Lots of people are gonna be disappointed given the roster of previous games.

If they play it smart, I could be very happy with a 21 character roster. That being said, I expect it to be about 25 characters.

I especially like the odds of cool characters making the roster if they are serious about targeting unique characters. Tenshinhan has a million techniques, so he is an easy fit. Yamcha is one of the few characters that has a visually distinct martial arts style (focusing more on claw like attacks and palm strikes) as well has having some visually interesting special moves, so he has a real chance of making it as well. In fact, Dragon Ball characters in general should have a real chance to make the roster if they want some actual variety.

I think they are gonna limit the game to DBZ / 2 latest movies at most, given how Super is just now barely starting to air in america

they first showed the game at E3, not in japan; they plan this to be a game for everybody and that will sadly mean constraining themselves to DBZ

It's been massively hinted on a number of occasions that they want to please as wide a base as possible, so I'd be surprised if Super doesn't get some representation. Same for DB and GT. They have the licenses for all four, at least.

Hit makes more sense than a U6 Saiyan though.

LotusHD

Banned

I'm just saying, he said Cabba makes more sense, but looking back, he did virtually nothing noteworthy, so... not really? Feels like you'd have to make up some shit for him. Meanwhile, Kale and Caulifla are both stronger, and have different colored beams at the very least. And as the first canon female Super Saiyans, likely more popular too. So it's like, if ya had to make up shit for the U6 Saiyans, and not all 3 of them can get in, Cabba would be dead last as far as I'm concerned.

Not to mention you could just cheat and give Kale some of Broly's moves.

That said, I don't expect them to get in (DLC perhaps), just that Cabba is probably at the bottom as far as these three are concerned imo

Neoxon

I think they are gonna limit the core game to DBZ / 2 latest movies at most, given how Super is just now barely starting to air in america

Didn't the producer say that they'd be pulling from all eras of Dragon Ball? Plus we'd be knee-deep in the dubbed Universe 6 arc by then (we may even get the ball rolling on the dubbed Future Trunks arc).

I'd rather have Yu Yu Hakusho first, although that'd be another sausage fest with only Genkai being a playable female. I can't think of any other women who fight in Yu Yu Hakusho.

We should just convince ArcSys to make the TRUE successor to Jump Ultimate Stars.

The woman in the final season and I think there might have been at least one woman in the Dark World tournament.

Eylos

Banned
Didn't the producer say that they'd be pulling from all eras of Dragon Ball? Plus we'd be knee-deep in the dubbed Universe 6 arc by then (we may even get the ball rolling on the dubbed Future Trunks arc).
Yeah they said they are going for all sagas, they are selecting by popularity and different gameplay characters

Zaventem

The pink hair would probably look dumb if it didn't contrast so well with the black outfit, or if it didn't have that aura that comes with it. But it does, so all good!

3o7TKQV4ko3fi4I3xm.gif

Is this super? don't know anything about it but it looks damn cool to me.

Spman2099

Krillin, Piccolo, Tenshinhan, and 18 seem like that to me.

I think Piccolo is absolutely certain.

18 is almost certain as well, as she is the best female representation in the series.

Krillin is a little less likely, but still has very high odds of making it.

Tenshinhan has a really good shot, he seems relevant to the current story (even though Super seems to be out to get him, from the little I have seen of that show) and has a ton of unique techniques. However, I think he is clearly less likely than everyone else you mentioned.

Fj0823

Well if Xenoverse taught us something today is that Dragon Ball games are not above having Trunks' new form in a cutscene but not in the freaking game...

That's one way to piss off both sides of Trunks fans

LotusHD

Banned
Well if Xenoverse taught us something today is that Dragon Ball games are not above having Trunks new form in a cutscene but not in the freaking game...

That's one way to piss off both sides of Trunks fans

Lmao wow that's pretty lame of them

Rentahamster

Rodent Whores
Tenshinhan has a really good shot, he seems relevant to the current story (even though Super seems to be out to get him, from the little I have seen of that show) and has a ton of unique techniques. However, I think he is clearly less likely than everyone else you mentioned.
Perhaps less likely, relatively speaking, but still past the threshold of shoe in, IMO. I'd be very surprised if he's not in the initial release.

VariantX

Im expecting 21 characters at most. Lots of people are gonna be disappointed given the roster of previous games.

Their dissapointment stems from simply not knowing you can't toss every character available in game and expect a game with a competitive slant to live up to that. That's what Xenoverse's purpose is for those people who just want that. They're 2 different games with entirely different goals to reach even though they're the same franchise. Also they won't understand that the techniques needed to make the game look as good as it does requires the same level of effort it would take to make 2D sprites. Otherwise, they could have made tons of alts for characters in XRD and had an added revenue stream as well as more characters overall.

shaowebb

If Gotenks is in the game, I'd love for their intro to be Goten and Trunks doing the fusion dance.

You should hope that what they actually do is a duo moveset for Kid Goten + Kid Trunks that has a Gotenks buff state. Arc Sys knows how to do puppet character movesets after Blaz Blue for certain and the shit that's possible in those movesets is amazing. Just check out the shit in Melty Blood with Hisui and Kohaku who are a single selectable character. In this gif you see the player switching between which character is attacking over and over again like crazy. Since the two kids are seen more as a duo that leads to Gotenks anyways this would be both stylish and appropriate.
2NAXdQs.gif

And just think...with the weird donut projectiles and ghosts that Gotenks is known for doing its not like his "buff state" would lose any of the crazy mixup philosophy his base Kid Goten + Kid Trunks moveset would revolve around.

This is my big hope for a special character slot in the game right now. It'd add a helluva diverse style to your optional team setups.

Eylos

Banned
Looked at the games for numbers of characters
xrd 2 - 25
Xrd 1 - 17

Persona 4 arena - 13
Persona 4 arena ultimax- 21

So If they Go for the old formula, the First game Will have 13-17 characters and the Second 21/25

Village

You should hope that what they actually do is a duo moveset for Kid Goten + Kid Trunks that has a Gotenks buff state. Arc Sys knows how to do puppet character movesets after Blaz Blue for certain and the shit that's possible in those movesets is amazing..

That sounds lame and dumb. Just give me my gotenks and his super is ghosts, and that's it. No puppet bullshit, give me gotenks, don't ruin the character with complicated mechanics making him undesirable to play. The ghosts need to be like, at most , maybe like oro boros, or like the skulls in killer instict spinal has. But like, nothing more complicated than that. I think gotenks is a character people wanna play and don't want to be bogged down with that. Keep it simple.

Top Bottom