• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dragon Ball FighterZ - Characters, Specials, and Stages Discussion

I-hate-u

tumblr_lzltbw5Xrg1qfbz1so1_500.gif

cordy

Banned
That kinda goes against her "rep all eras of DB" comment. Plus we've had DBZ games with GT characters before. As someone else said in this thread, FighterZ is just interesting wordplay.
It should have been obvious that this was going to be mostly a Z game though. Once the whole roster's unveiled I wonder what the excuses will be. There's a difference between it being a mostly Z game with characters from other series and only a Z game. Fact is, people putting too much stock in these other series.

Yall know how this will end up. You're gonna be mad because your Super/DB loves ain't in the game and then say "call me when the sequel hits". Don't do this to yourselves. I'm warning you.
Argues for no Super representation based on the title.
Proceeds to suggest DB characters.
?

Where did I say there's gonna be no Super representation based on the title especially considering my own list has Super characters? I said take out "all these Super characters" meaning numerous ones, not every single one lol. We'll get Super characters but it'll be a far lower amount than people are thinking.

Dudes in here doing wishlists rather than predictions lists. Yall know what it is.

Puruzi

Banned
Let me put it this way. For a game with limited roster spots, it'd be like putting Birdie over Sagat in Street Fighter or Spencer over Vergil in a MvC game for the sake of gameplay variety.

If the roster is big, then knock yourselves out, but his omission doesn't mean doom and gloom for DB representation, especially if he's a shit and unpopular character.

What the fuck dude? You want gameplay variety the most in a fighting game

tjeXBqJ.jpg

They should put the Androids in a classic, urban, side-scrolling beat-em-up. They're the perfect trio. There's the standard, well-rounded male character, the more agile female character, and the slow powerhouse type like Haggar in Final Fight.

QisTopTier

XisBannedTier
To you, a lot of folks don't care about that. They just want to see their cool character do cool shit.

That's why people think the marvel roster is ass. They just wanna play as magneto, you feel me?

Not a good example as Magneto has unique gameplay

Wolverine would have been better as an example

Lulubop

It should have been obvious that this was going to be mostly a Z game though. Once the whole roster's unveiled I wonder what the excuses will be. There's a difference between it being a mostly Z game with characters from other series and only a Z game. Fact is, people putting too much stock in these other series.

Yall know how this will end up. You're gonna be mad because your Super/DB loves ain't in the game and then say "call me when the sequel hits". Don't do this to yourselves. I'm warning you.
?

Where did I say there's gonna be no Super representation based on the title especially considering my own list has Super characters? I said take out "all these Super characters" meaning numerous ones, not every single one lol. We'll get Super characters but it'll be a far lower amount than people are thinking.

Dudes in here doing wishlists rather than predictions lists. Yall know what it is.

who argued this wouldn't mostly be Z? I know are their even enough relevant characters for this to not be mostly Z? Like what.

Village

Not a good example as Magneto has unique gameplay

Wolverine would have been better as an example

Sure, but I think my point stands. For a lot of people fighting games, are games first. And in that sense, they want to see a cool guy do a cool thing to another cool guy. You can have the most diverse gameplay on the planet, if folks ain't into the characters or how it looks, its a wrap.

Sayad

The XenoVerse community is in an uproar because the DLC4 Future Trunks palette swap doesn't have Super Saiyan Rage mode.

They've also expressed concern that Dragonball Fighterz doesnt let you choose base forms of Saiyans and letting you choose to transform.

Trust me, the Dragonball community is mad fickle...
Or how they were complaining for pages about how normal Goku's hair isn't perfect in the two seconds pre-fight animation! You don't have to dig deep outside DBFZ threads to notice this. ;p

tjeXBqJ.jpg

They should put the Androids in a classic, urban, side-scrolling beat-em-up. They're the perfect trio. There's the standard, well-rounded male character, the more agile female character, and the slow powerhouse type like Haggar in Final Fight.
Really love that piece!

You could even have them ride around in a pink van to get to their next destination instead of flying.

TreIII

I don't follow GG or BB, but does ASW usually do costume DLC? I can see there being a good amount for it in this game.

No, because in this case, the kind of tech they use to make the character models doesn't really allow for such. For all the work involved to make a costume, they may as well make a new char, which is why Elphelt in GGXrd is such a notable exception.

Extra color palettes are the most we should expect, for the time being.

QisTopTier

XisBannedTier
Sure, but I think my point stands. For a lot of people fighting games, are games first. And in that sense, they want to see a cool guy do a cool thing to another cool guy. You can have the most diverse gameplay on the planet, if folks ain't into the characters, its a rap.

It's dragon ball, people are into a large portion of the cast

Sheroking

Sure, but I think my point stands. For a lot of people fighting games, are games first. And in that sense, they want to see a cool guy do a cool thing to another cool guy. You can have the most diverse gameplay on the planet, if folks ain't into the characters, its a rap.

Just like the Marvel infinite thread, though, the character asks are devolving into the obscure.

There are like 7-8 necessary characters and 6 of them are already confirmed. Piccolo is the only really popular character missing. The rest could be there or not and it wouldn't make much difference.

cordy

Banned
who argued this wouldn't mostly be Z? I know are their even enough relevant characters for this to not be mostly Z? Like what.

Check back in this thread and the other threads, dudes be leaving out important Z characters and putting in these Super/DB reps because Super's the "new hotness" and all that. I love Super myself but I know what this game will be, we all know what it'll be. The problem is people don't want it to be that way because they're already loving what they're seeing about it.

We ain't getting Khaled and Calligula in the base game. Same with Calabasas.

DrDogg

Let me put it this way. For a game with limited roster spots, it'd be like putting Birdie over Sagat in Street Fighter or Spencer over Vergil in a MvC game for the sake of gameplay variety.

If the roster is big, then knock yourselves out, but his omission doesn't mean doom and gloom for DB representation, especially if he's a shit and unpopular character.

But Birdie is in SF5 and Sagat is not. So...

Lulubop

No? To say for the sake of gameplay, as if that's a bad thing or not important is ridiculous. Also, on the flip side if your game lacks diversity in playstlyes then the game can become stale or boring to watch. That's not a good look for a game trying to be competitive or an Esport

cordy

Banned
And Sagat's still one of the most requested SF characters for the game next to Sakura. If he was in instead of Birdie, we wouldn't be hearing many "where's Birdie?" comments.

I think people are underestimating ASW and diversity as well. They can put in a popular character and give them a very diverse moveset that's still faithful with the series. Piccolo for example idk about you all but I'm expecting him to be a very advanced character.

sephi22

What the fuck dude? You want gameplay variety the most in a fighting game

That's a damn good reason, wtf?

And no it's not the same, diversity in DB is much worse
You can put in Piccolo, Broly, Janemba, Bardock, Beerus, 18, 17, Krillin and make them play different based on their normals, combos and move properties.

X-23 doesn't play like Wolverine coz they both have claws, Hulk doesn't play like Haggar coz they're both big bodies, Dante doesn't play like Vergil because they both have swords.

Or you can fill the roster with Chi chis, Taos, Bulmas and Oolongs and piss off half your casual fanbase.

uO5F56AAAfopjFpbN57n6EEr3hYObUGOJcKPbVXuBkTKRVTMhixZw09tcQOUqu1NcQ23Dg=w512-h287-nc

Village

It's dragon ball, people are into a large portion of the cast

Yeah, its a singlar brand with minor crossoever instead of a gaint comic book company and video game company with several dozen IP. My point was more in reference to the marvel vs capcom infnite example that the person I quoted, quoted. Singular IP games, ussually have less of this issue because if you are here for this singular IP, you don't go expecting other IP. Even in dragonball the most you will get is Arale, and Jaco and maybe if shit gets weird maybe like a stage from a 3rd toriyama thing

DrDogg

And Sagat's still one of the most requested SF characters for the game next to Sakura. If he was in instead of Birdie, we wouldn't be hearing many "where's Birdie?" comments.

I think people are underestimating ASW and diversity as well. They can put in a popular character and give them a very diverse moveset that's still faithful with the series. Piccolo for example idk about you all but I'm expecting him to be a very advanced character.

And if Birdie was paid DLC he likely wouldn't sell anywhere near as much as Sagat. I know you can spend fight money on DLC but you get the point. You have to look at it from a marketing standpoint as well. Give me Mei in the main roster instead of Caulifla and I buy the game anyway plus probably pick up Caulifla as DLC. But Mei as DLC would likely sell far less than Caulifla as DLC.

Village

No? To say for the sake of gameplay, as if that's a bad thing or not important is ridiculous.
Gameplay is mui importante, but you can have the best playing game in the world. If people don't like how it looks, or don't like the characters, thats it. I think a bunch of the DB games are strait DOODOO, but you know why they sell, they look like dragon ball and have dragon ball characters and you can do a final flash.

I don't think you ultimate ninja series is the most indepth thing in the world, I find it lacking and wish it had more. But I buy all of em, because I can be a cool naruto ninja and do dope shit.

Heck lets go into mobile games like contest of champions which was also not great, but made money because its marvel characters

Despite the warning people often judge books by their covers, or as Aris put it " people have fucking eyes"

Also, on the flip side if your game lacks diversity in playstlyes then the game can become stale or boring to watch.
Most people don't give a shit about esports, people just want to play a fun game. Also what's boring to watch is different to person to person. Because people defintely watch tournoments of shit like mobas and ETCG's and I find them shits boring as fuck but people watch them.

That's not a good look for a game trying to be competitive or an Esport
I'm going to go with, try to be a fun game first. And focus on the esport later .

Sixfortyfive

He who pursues two rabbits gets two rabbits.
Check back in this thread and the other threads, dudes be leaving out important Z characters and putting in these Super/DB reps because Super's the "new hotness" and all that. I love Super myself but I know what this game will be, we all know what it'll be. The problem is people don't want it to be that way because they're already loving what they're seeing about it.

We ain't getting Khaled and Calligula in the base game. Same with Calabasas.

I think you've got it backwards.

I think a few token Super reps are more likely to be added for the sake of cross-promoting the new series than for the sake of fan demand.

Eylos

Banned
Let me remember memorable First dragon hall characters that can fight: son Gohan, kairin master, that blond Guy from red ribbon, Frankenstein Android, tao pai pai, First picolo, chi chi, that rabbit that goes to the moon, pilaf trio, that Very strong Native American, lunch, tenshihan master?

I think only chi-chi, mai, son gohan and tao pai pai are kinda popular? First picolo sux to his son

cordy

Banned
And if Birdie was paid DLC he likely wouldn't sell anywhere near as much as Sagat. I know you can spend fight money on DLC but you get the point. You have to look at it from a marketing standpoint as well. Give me Mei in the main roster instead of Caulifla and I buy the game anyway plus probably pick up Caulifla as DLC. But Mei as DLC would likely sell far less than Caulifla as DLC.
That's been my whole entire point towards the "little Super representation in the base game" comment I've been saying since this thread's been made but people in this thread have been against it. I agree. Birdie doesn't even need to be paid DLC, he could have been left out.
I think you've got it backwards.

I think a few token Super reps are more likely to be added for the sake of cross-promoting the new series than for the sake of fan demand.
Who and how many are the questions.

People say they expect Super characters to be in but I wanna know who, how many and how many spots do you think they'll take up in a limited roster is the issue. It's always a ratio thing here.

Fandangox

Where do you suggest the pillar would even come from ... ?

I was also thinking the pillar would work as his replacement for super speed follow up, before realizing it would be too slow animation-wise for it to serve the exact same purpoae mechanically. That said in my head it would just pop up out of nowhere, as in, he's already riding it the moment he starts to follow up.

sephi22

Goku
Vegeta
kid Gohan

Ultimate Gohan
Future Trunks
Gotenks

Cell
Furiza
Majin Buu

Piccolo
Krilin
Tien shin han

Yamcha
Videl
Roshi

Android 16
Android 17
Android 18

Beerus
Hit
Goku Black

Then add DLC for Caulifla, Broly, and Bardock.
This is Slaythes roster from a few pages back. Assuming 21 characters, who would you replace to fit Tao Pai Pai and not cause at least a minor fan backlash? Best I can think of is Tien, because I don't really know much about this Tao Pai Pai fellow.

Every popular character sold as DLC will have tons of buyers no doubt, but every popular character omitted from the base roster will have fans saying "No xyz no buy" and lead to negative word of mouth.

Lulubop

Gameplay is mui importante, but you can have the best playing game in the world. If people don't like how it looks, or don't like the characters, thats it. I think a bunch of the DB games are strait DOODOO, but you know why they sell, they look like dragon ball and have dragon ball characters and you can do a final flash.

I don't think you ultimate ninja series is the most indepth thing in the world, I find it lacking and wish it had more. But I buy all of em, because I can be a cool naruto ninja and do dope shit.

Heck lets go into mobile games like contest of champions which was also not great, but made money because its marvel characters

Despite the warning people often judge books by their covers, or as Aris put it " people have fucking eyes"

Most people don't give a shit about esports, people just want to play a fun game. Also what's boring to watch is different to person to person. Because people defintely watch tournoments of shit like mobas and ETCG's and I find them shits boring as fuck but people watch them.

I'm going to go with, try to be a fun game first. And focus on the esport later .

No one is expecting character's like Piccolo or Krillen to not be in this, adding in one character like Tao who offers something different is a good thing. You're acting like people are suggesting the whole roster be changed up, we're talking about Tao.

Yea, no shit but this game is trying to be a competitive eSport, and that kinda stuff is important.

Funny how my whole about was about more divinity injecting fun into the game, keeping the game from becoming stale or boring so yea no shit bro. Diversity helps with fun! We're talking about wanting Tao in becomes it's good for gameplay.

DrDogg

I'm only up to around episode 60 in Super, but there aren't really that many characters that don't have some sort of DBZ crossover. Universe 6 characters, Goku Black, Zamasu, Beerus, Whis and maybe Future Mei? Of the Universe 6 characters, you're looking at Hit and some Saiyans.

I could see 2 in the base roster and another 3-6 as DLC. Give me Hit and Future Mei in the base roster, then the rest as DLC. Although I could easily see Whis and Beerus in the base instead.

DrDogg

This is Slaythes roster from a few pages back. Assuming 21 characters, who would you replace to fit Tao Pai Pai and not cause at least a minor fan backlash? Best I can think of is Tien, because I don't really know much about this Tao Pai Pai fellow.

Every popular character sold as DLC will have tons of buyers no doubt, but every popular character omitted from the base roster will have fans saying "No xyz no buy" and lead to negative word of mouth.

Yamcha, Tien and Ultimate Gohan. Any one of them could be DLC and no one would be overly upset. Ultimate Gohan is the biggest loss, but you already have Kid Gohan.

Slaythe

Beerus
HIt
Merged Zamasu
Cailifula

There, short and sweet, covers every arc, and everyone's happy.

There is no dimension, and I don't mean this like "my favorite character is better !" as I hate both, but there is NO dimension, where that trash Zamasu (or merged Zamasu) would make it over Black.

Neoxon

Beerus
HIt
Merged Zamasu
Cailifula

There, short and sweet, covers every arc, and everyone's happy.
I still feel like Caulifla may be DLC, so I'd swap her for Whis and Zamasu for Goku Black (because popularity). That said, I do personally think Merged Zamasu is the best call since he covers both Zamasu & Goku Black's potential moves.

sephi22

Yamcha, Tien and Ultimate Gohan. Any one of them could be DLC and no one would be overly upset. Ultimate Gohan is the biggest loss, but you already have Kid Gohan.
Tao Pai Pai over Ultimate Gohan would be such a stupid move you'd have a mob storming towards Bandai's office.

And I'd be selling the pitchforks and torches. Ultimate Gohan would be top 3 of everyone's wishlist if people didn't expect him in the game already.

Tao Pai Pai over Ultimate Gohan? You're crazy lol
I mean, they want Tao Pai Pai in a game with a limited roster that has to possibly represent 3 series and a bunch of movies. What do you expect?

cordy

Banned
I'm not leaving out Z characters but a reason could be people think Super characters will be in the game because of Golden Frieza. That's kind of big and he's on SSB level.

Golden Freeza's a huge part of Super and he's easy to be thrown in especially considering he was in Z movies. Beerus as well. I can see Hit being thrown in too and especially given who he is. Then you look at some of these other characters that have a low chance of being in, like really. Goku Black is the last exception for a character from Super I can see being thrown in this game if Beerus and Hit are in, Goku Black's like the curtain call. He makes it in before the train takes off.

Any others are gonna be thrown on that pre-order, DLC or sequel list.

Top Bottom