• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

DRAGON BALL FighterZ - Story Teaser Trailer

Neoxon

Has this been confirmed? Because I remember the announcement not being very clear.
The trailer that revealed SSJB Goku & Vegeta very clearly said "Pre-order for SSGSS Goku & Vegeta early unlocks". Like I said, they're in the base roster, but you'll have to unlock them by some unannounced means (probably in-game currency if GGXrd is any indication) if you choose not to pre-order the game.

andymcc

Banned
Tbf that's dlc. I can definitely see them milking super characters for DLC but not having them in the base game. Also I wouldn't put attacks on the same level as characters.

you're moving goalposts.

why is it that everyone that is firmly arguing there is no super content in this game are also the same people that qualify their statements with saying "i don't care if it's in there"... why are you arguing so hard if you don't care?

Neoxon

This looks pretty bad. But so do most fighting games story's that aren't NRS.
Yeah, NRS is way ahead of the others (Capcom, Bamco, etc.) in terms of story in fighting games. And even then, I find the canon-to-the-games Injustice comics to be more entertaining (probably due to Tom Taylor writing most of them).

They're showing all the Z/Super-era characters failing and falling face first which is gunna cause Trunks to once again have to time travel, this time to the GT future to recruit people to come into the past and stop Android 21. Most of the game is gunna be GT-themed but they're saving all that for a big reveal later one.

The trailer that revealed SSJB Goku & Vegeta very clearly said "Pre-order for SSGSS Goku & Vegeta early unlocks". Like I said, they're in the base roster, but you'll have to unlock them by some unannounced means (probably in-game currency if GGXrd is any indication) if you choose not to pre-order the game.

Yeah that's what I initially assumed as well. But you never know. Could also be interpreted as them being available sooner, and available for purchase alter. But I do think you're right.

you're moving goalposts.

why is it that everyone that is firmly arguing there is no super content in this game are also the same people that qualify their statements with saying "i don't care if it's in there"... why are you arguing so hard if you don't care?

I Mean I think you're the only one whose getting worked up about it. I don't really think anything I've posted has been all that combative. Like I said before idc either way. I'm just discussing it. Not really arguing against their inclusion, just saying that's the impression i've gotten from the game and devs so far. TBF I didn't know about the godtube thing and the level 3 SSB is a good point. But until we get an actual super exclusive character released. I'm going to keep on assuming they'll be sticking with Z, at least for the roster.

andymcc

Banned
I Mean I think you're the only one whose getting worked up about it. I don't really think anything I've posted has been all that combative. Like I said before idc either way. I'm just discussing it. Not really arguing against their inclusion, just saying that's the impression i've gotten from the game and devs so far. TBF I didn't know about the godtube thing and the level 3 SSB is a good point. But until we get an actual super exclusive character released. I'm going to keep on assuming they'll be sticking with Z, at least for the roster.

i should have pointed out, it's not just you. literally go into any DBFighterZ thread and they are riddled with "ain't no Super in my fighting game!" posts.

i should have pointed out, it's not just you. literally go into any DBFighterZ thread and they are riddled with "ain't no Super in my fighting game!" posts.

I'm no elitist lol. I'll take Broly, Cooler, Hit, Tao pai pai, Caulifla etc... It's just the fact that we're probably 2/3s of the roster in and so far they've picked the most iconic characters of Z with their most iconic renditions which is what leads me to believe their sticking it close to the chest with this with characters. Also the fact that they've placed so much emphasize on the Z symbol with this game when we're in the era of Super and when the last DB game (xenoverse) didn't have in the title adds to that assumption as well.

I'm no elitist lol. I'll take Broly, Cooler, Hit, Tao pai pai, Caulifla etc... It's just the fact that we're probably 2/3s of the roster in and so far they've picked the most iconic characters of Z with their most iconic renditions which is what leads me to believe their sticking it close to the chest with this with characters. Also the fact that they've placed so much emphasize on the Z symbol with this game when we're in the era of Super and when the last DB game (xenoverse) didn't have in the title adds to that assumption as well.

The Z in the name is just like the K in Mortal Kombat.

HStallion

Now what's the next step in your master plan?
Dragon Ball Zombies by the looks of it. I'm cool with that and 21 rocking that Red Ribbon Army gear.

Its just a spelling it doesn't mean anything. Its not Dragonball Fighter Z its Dragonball FigherZ (pronounced as Dragonball Fighters)

I think it does. The last major DB game didn't have the Z in the title. The franchise as a whole and the original manga is known as dragon ball. Also there's been 4 anime series based off Dragon Ball and only one them has the Z in the title. The fact that they chose a title that emphasizes the Z also tells me that they want to focus on this specific era. Also the way the game was just introduced with the 3 main DBZ characters vs the 3 Main DBZ villains and the fact that the roster (outside of 21) has been competently predictable also tells me this as well.

NeonZ

Wait, isn't "original character supervised by Akira Toriyama" a bit different than "created by"...?

He was never credited with creating her, just designing her. She's closer to the Z movie villains that had Toriyama designs than to Towa, who was actually a Toriyama original character made for a game.

But not the one we're waiting for.

711.gif

Soon.

LotusHD

Banned
I think it does. The last major DB game didn't have the Z in the title. The franchise as a whole and the original manga is known as dragon ball. Also there's been 4 anime series based off Dragon Ball and only one them has the Z in the title. The fact that they chose a title that emphasizes the Z also tells me that they want to focus on this specific era. Also the way the game was just introduced with the 3 main DBZ characters vs the 3 Main DBZ villains and the fact that the roster (outside of 21) has been competently predictable also tells me this as well.

Man this cycle gets tiring

HardRojo

I see Super deniers are wasting no time. Not gonna bother engaging again, but I'll be clear: Dragon Ball Super content is already in the game, so after this post I don't care what your ridiculous excuses are.

I see Super deniers are wasting no time. Not gonna bother engaging again, but I'll be clear: Dragon Ball Super content is already in the game, so after this post I don't care what your ridiculous excuses are.

They are going to be out of luck on some of the future reveals.

Balfour

Hmm...

Maybe she is not playable.

Usually with ArcSys, story mode characters eventually become playable through DLC or other updates. Even if not base roster, I fully expect her down the road

She has high popularity already. It's most likely too far into development for any roster changes, but she'd probably come sooner rather than later

Balfour

Well Jubei is the sole anomaly for some reason. Took him years

But even GG Xrd has had several characters introduced into the story first, but became DLC later

Plus I doubt they would go out of their way to make an OC and not have her as a fighter at some point

say xenoverse out loud please

Zalman

Wait, isn't "original character supervised by Akira Toriyama" a bit different than "created by"...?
It's likely a movie-type scenario. Arc wrote the story and got the general idea down while Toriyama designed the character based on those ideas. Same as pretty much every movie villain.

TreIII

It's likely a movie-type scenario. Arc wrote the story and got the general idea down while Toriyama designed the character based on those ideas. Same as pretty much every movie villain.

Exactly.

Dragonball games now effectively serve the same role that the movies/OVAs did in yesteryear: utilize beloved characters in new situations, with brand new, original characters, and can feel free to cite current/ongoing media as so desired.

Top Bottom