• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dragon Ball Kai Official Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
Yeah! Break! Care! Break! is still the best out of the Kai endings of course.

Holy crap I forgot how good that song is.

My tastes have changed over the years and I prefer Moe, but man, there will always be a place in my heart for Goku, will always love Dragon Ball.

All of GT's endings are some of the series' best songs. I'm more partial to ending 1 though due to DEEN.

Yeah they're all great but especially knowing that Izumi Sakai is no longer with us makes me extra sad and gives it more to me.

MikeMyers

Would LOVE to watch this but at the moment I'm watching the original DB in Japanese

And how is that? I watched DB anime last year in Japanese because I'd only read the manga for that portion. Although I skipped the Piccolo stuff as that's my least favourite stuff.

I'll probably have to watch the Piccolo Arc animated one day though. Apparently, Tenshinhan actually uses the Mafuba in the cartoon? Speaking of filler, the most bizarre one is when Chaozu defeats Krillin in Yamcha's dream. Caught me off-guard.

First episode was entertaining. I'd forgotten how much fun it was Gohan just goofing around.
Ah shame it wont last.

Yep yep. I like the whole Buu arc but the high school Gohan/Saiyaman stuff is the best part of it. The more gag-y concept really puts Toriyama in his element compared to the attempts to merge that with the fightFightFIGHT action of the rest of the arc.

Apparently, Tenshinhan actually uses the Mafuba in the cartoon?

I haven't read or watched that part in a while but my memory is that instead of noticing that the pot is cracked and not using the move he tries to use it but then it doesn't count because the pot was cracked so he never completed it?

MikeMyers

Yeah that is what happens in the manga. I'm pretty sure in the anime the Rice Cooker is still workable and he tries to use it on Daimao, but Drum interferes. Apparently Tenshinhan also puts up a much better fight against Drum in the anime, which makes sense as Filler Tenshinhan is obviously the second stronger protagonist in the series.

As for the Buu Arc, I like it until Gotenks loses. After that its a string of asspulls and fights, but I still think I'd put that arc over the Cell and Piccolo arcs.

EDIT - Watched the episode and basically Ten would have sacrificed himself to seal Drum with the Mafuba if Daimao didn't interfere. In the manga he just gets his ass kicked.

Takao

Banned
E6Ve7dk.png

http://www.toei-animation.com/en/node/1394

And how is that? I watched DB anime last year in Japanese because I'd only read the manga for that portion.

Super fun and charming and I even enjoyed the filler. I prefer it to DBZ actually.

Although I skipped the Piccolo stuff as that's my least favourite stuff.

Really? IMO Piccolo Daimao is one of the series highlights.

Speaking of filler, the most bizarre one is when Chaozu defeats Krillin in Yamcha's dream. Caught me off-guard.

LOL I don't remember this. When did that happen?

Back to Kai: so apparently the new score is super terrible?

god dammit yamamoto why did you have to go and plagiarize

MikeMyers

Super fun and charming and I even enjoyed the filler. I prefer it to DBZ actually.

Yup the filler is really fun and creative. The Pilaf and Haskey episodes added to the Red Ribbon arc were all hilarious. By the time of the Cell and Buu arcs Toei just got lazy and started focusing more on padding things out, such as 5 minute recaps.

However, Yamcha's fight with The Invisible Man was better in the manga, hehe.

Really? IMO Piccolo Daimao is one of the series highlights.
My friend is doing a big review of DB, and since his opinions tend to mirror mine a lot, I'll link you to what he has reviewed of the arc so far. Tambourine having the same voice as Freeza is hilarious though.

He has the same problem with the arc as I do, and I highly recommend you watch his videos. They are really great.

Personally, my favourite is the Pilaf Arc. I like how all the characters had a unique set of skills that all brought something new to the table. It's just so much...fun. Not to mention it is the only time my favourite character Oolong is relevant.

LOL I don't remember this. When did that happen?
It's during Krillin's fight with Chaozu in the 22nd Budokai. After an eyecatch Chaozu beats Krillin, and then Yamcha wakes up and realizes it was all a dream and he used to read word-up magazine.

Yamcha, Tenshinhan, and Chaozu are the Gods of filler.

Back to Kai: so apparently the new score is super terrible?

god dammit yamamoto why did you have to go and plagiarize

Yeah the score is just whatever so far, and not to mention it just overplays like the Falcouner score did.

Editing is choppy, too.

Takao

Banned
Kai is a wreck. It was when it started, and it's not going out silently.

Dragon Ball Z Kai: The Final Chapters has started airing in South Korea. Some astute viewers noticed that the OP/ED tracks, music placement, and even the episodes themselves varied from what had aired in Japan. Yep, there's two different versions of Kai Boo now. Speculation is that Toei is editing down the international version for Japan so that they can have a new show air on Fuji TV next Spring. Do remember, Kai 2.0 wasn't originally intended to even air in Japan, but Toriko flopping seems to have forced Toei's hand. As always, Kanzenshuu has more to read.

Music:

Dragon Ball Z Kai: The Final Chapters (International Version) Opening/Ending Pieces:
Fight It Out
Never Give Up

I'm sure Funimation will just dub these.

For comparison, the Japanese Credits:
Kuu-Zen-Ketsu-Go
Dear, Zarathustra

I guess I should also mention that so far, we've seen no proof that these episodes exist in any aspect ratio other than 16:9. This is a problem because the rest of Kai was released globally in 4:3.

The second Japanese ending theme has been announced.

Anth0ny

Kai is a wreck. It was when it started, and it's not going out silently.

Dragon Ball Z Kai: The Final Chapters has started airing in South Korea. Some astute viewers noticed that the OP/ED tracks, music placement, and even the episodes themselves varied from what had aired in Japan. Yep, there's two different versions of Kai Boo now. Speculation is that Toei is editing down the international version for Japan so that they can have a new show air on Fuji TV next Spring. Do remember, Kai 2.0 wasn't originally intended to even air in Japan, but Toriko flopping seems to have forced Toei's hand. As always, Kanzenshuu has more to read.

Music:

Dragon Ball Z Kai: The Final Chapters (International Version) Opening/Ending Pieces:
Fight It Out
Never Give Up

I'm sure Funimation will just dub these.

For comparison, the Japanese Credits:
Kuu-Zen-Ketsu-Go
Dear, Zarathustra

I guess I should also mention that so far, we've seen no proof that these episodes exist in any aspect ratio other than 16:9. This is a problem because the rest of Kai was released globally in 4:3.

The second Japanese ending theme has been announced.

Dear God. I just listened to the new Kanzenshuu podcast where they broke the whole situation down... what a mess.

This actually reminds me of the early days of Z, where the edited down Ocean dub episodes resulted in a different episode numbering for DBZ from Japan.

Now there's going to be Japan Buu Kai and everywhere else Buu Kai episode numbering... ugh.

Wasn't Dende brought to Earth during the Cell Saga?

Not in Trunks' future.

MikeMyers

Yeah I watched a few episode of Kai Buu Arc but the whole thing is just a mess. Toei gonna Toei.

I've been watching some of the original Saiyan Arc filler. I love those: Gohan's adventures, Gokus trouble on Snake Way, Yamcha playing Baseball, Lunch finding Tenshinhan, etc.

Not in Trunks' future.

Not relevant. Current Z warriors knew the location of Namek while Future Trunks was with them. Even if Goku couldn't have taught Trunks the Instant Transmission Trunks still could have flown there. Bulma could have made a ship. It just seems like a pretty big oversight.

Not relevant. Current Z warriors knew the location of Namek while Future Trunks was with them. Even if Goku couldn't have taught Trunks the Instant Transmission Trunks still could have flown there. Bulma could have made a ship. It just seems like a pretty big oversight.

Don't think so. Someone would have told Goku before he went to King Kai asking for them.

I just want to say the Buu saga needed to be cut down to 48 or something. Giving a bloated arc 69 episodes compared to the 98 for the rest of the series is just crazy and greedy.

Aiii

So not worth it
Somebody please tell me they have a link to the music playing during the Goku vs. Vegeta fight right now, because damnit, that track is all kinds of epic.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom