• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dragon Ball Manga/Anime |OT| This isn't even our final thread

why is he in the opening group shot

also poor tienshinhan

Gohan was the main character for that part of DBZ. His antics at school and as the Golden-Haired Warrior (or whatever it was called) and Great Saiyaman were the main plot.

why is he in the opening group shot

also poor tienshinhan

Tien NEVER forgave Vegeta for trying to invade Earth and killing everyone via Saibaimen and Nappa (he also was never on Namek so he didn't get to see Vegeta "change" from bad guy to neutral). After the Androids and Cell were defeated he wanted nothing to do with the group because of Vegeta's presence.

Takao

Banned
pGRI4lE.png

oozaru gogeta

Takao

Banned
The staff of the upcoming Dragon Ball Z: Fukkatsu no F (Dragon Ball Z: The F in Fukkatsu, or 'resurrection') film announced on Wednesday that pop idol group Momoiro Clover Z (Sailor Moon Crystal, Bodacious Space Pirates) will perform the film's theme song. Details, including the song's title, will be announced at a later date.

A producer at Toei Animation said all the members of Momoiro Clover Z are big Dragon Ball fans. The group's leader Kanako Momota said she hopes the song will bring energy to a lot of people like a "reverse genki dama (spirit bomb)."

http://www.animenewsnetwork.com/new...theme-song-for-2015-dragon-ball-z-film/.83278

why not the inspiration

is toei going to have them sing in english for the international version
flow was pretty much incomprehensible

i have meant to post this for a while, but what did you guys think / did Toriyama say anything about the Vegeta brother addition in Gods???

I found it funny because it was always funny Vegeta going on about being the prince of all Saiyans when surely he was the king if his dad died.

Takao

Banned
this is news to me

For anyone who’s wondered about the gobbledygook words at the start of the first ending song for Dragonball Z, the mystery has now been solved! The theme song in question is “Detekoi Tobikiri Zenkai Power!” performed by MANNA, and it was used for the first 194 episodes after the series began airing in 1989.

▼ In this video you can first hear the song played normally, then backwards.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rGWk3yqQugA

Fortunately we’re not faced with any dark and disturbing Satanic incantations. What we do hear is list of names followed by the phrase ‘ganbattannda!’, which is basically saying that all these guys worked really hard. It seems like a sweet way to give these people a little extra credit for the work they did on this popular show.

“Shimizu Kenji (Fuji TV producer), Ike Takeshi (an anime song writer active in the late 1980s who has produced over 2,000 songs), Tokieda Tatsuhiro, Uchida Takashi, Yamamoto Kenji, Yanagi Hanae (?), Nomura Takashi, ganbattannda, ganbattannda!”

http://en.rocketnews24.com/2015/01/...ge-found-hidden-in-dragon-ball-z-ending-song/

So I'm considering pulling the trigger on purchasing the newest Dragonball Z blu-ray releases.

DJ23IJW.jpg

I've got these three in my Amazon cart, ready to be paid and delivered, but I'm on the fence. Are these blu-ray sets uncut? I don't mind them being fullscreen instead of 4:3, because from what I've seen in Youtube reviews, Funi was very careful with how each frame was cropped, so as not to lose the most important details.

I also have all thirteen of the movie blu-rays in my wishlist, but I hear rumor that they may be re-releasing them soon. I really hate they way they are currently sold in double/triple feature packs. It eats away at my brain.

So I'm considering pulling the trigger on purchasing the newest Dragonball Z blu-ray releases.

I've got these three in my Amazon cart, ready to be paid and delivered, but I'm on the fence. Are these blu-ray sets uncut? I don't mind them being fullscreen instead of 4:3, because from what I've seen in Youtube reviews, Funi was very careful with how each frame was cropped, so as not to lose the most important details.

I also have all thirteen of the movie blu-rays in my wishlist, but I hear rumor that they may be re-releasing them soon. I really hate they way they are currently sold in double/triple feature packs. It eats away at my brain.
It really depends on personal preference. Funimation did a kind of an 'eh' job of remastering for these sets. The completely remove all artifacts and grain, and they made all the colors a bit brighter. That's something that I find really only bothers purists/videophiles, so if it doesn't matter that much to you, go ahead.

Here are some comparisons for reference:
Season Blu-ray Sets (the ones you're looking at) (Remastered by Funimation)

Funimation's "Level" Blu-ray Sets (Now discontinued) (Remastered by Funimation)

Dragonball Z Kai Blu-ray (Remastered by Toei)

Anth0ny

DJ23IJW.jpg

the video quality in those release are terrible. DNR'd to hell and back, which results in crushed blacks:

ZtYt7R0.png

DVD left, blu ray right.

The Dragon Box DVD releases are the best video quality wise, but they do not include the FUNimation dub with Faulconer soundtrack. If that's important to you, then the blu rays are probably your best bet. They are indeed uncut.

NeonZ

They should just make a new anime without Toriyama. No way it'd end up as bad as GT again. GT actually kicked out its main writer halfway through and replaced the position with... no one. It seems to have been fairly messy behind the scenes from the start. Something on the level of Saint Seiya Omega likely would be enough just due to the strength of the DB franchise.

TCKaos

I keep saying that they should just do a Dragon Ball Heroes anime. Make it like Dragon Ball Build Fighters, where you've got kids pimping out their favorite characters and entering the World Dragon Ball Heroes Tournament.

Subvert most of the pre-established conventions of the show. The main character uses Goku, but make the first people he brefriends use characters that never show up or characters that are villains. Like, his Team Try Fighters is Goku, Pikkon and fucking Cell or something. Together, they fight the evil Tenshinhan player that fights alongside Lord Slug and Future Trunks.

Or something. Or use it as an excuse to animate all of the fights we want to see.

Takao

Banned
I don't care for Kai, but I'm happy it finds continued success on US television. That's largely because it pokes a gigantic hole into the argument that the general fandom won't accept 4:3.

Tizoc

Have they said if they'd show the new DBZ movie worldwide? Or is it just US that's getting the premiere eng. dub?

Kagari

Crystal Bearer
All right, I upgraded this to a normal OT. If anyone has any tag line suggestions or wants to create fancy graphics for the OP just let me know.

Kagari

Crystal Bearer
Officially hyped.

Hope Gohan gets some time to shine. Show Gohan some love, Toriyama!

I've been waiting for this since he got screwed over after his Ultimate power up because reasons. Still waiting, but his design in the movie gives me little hope unless Toriyama is trolling us...

Top Bottom