• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dragon Ball Manga/Anime |OT| This isn't even our final thread

Oblivion

Fetishing muscular manly men in skintight hosery
So I saw the movie in its entirety, finally. A few questions:

1. King Kai said Beerus is a god of destruction, opposite to a god of creation, like the Supreme Kai. Okay, but...
a) Why is there only one god of destruction as opposed to like 10 gods of creation
b) Why is Beerus like a hundred times more powerful?
2. How was Shenron able to know the secret of the super saiyan god, yet King Kai, who presumably lived a lot longer and had been watching over the entire saiyan history not known about it?
3. And how the hell did Vegeta's anger at Bulma getting slapped make him go beyond SSJ3? That made no goddamned sense. Goku at SSJ3 didn't get a single hit on Beerus, and he wasn't even trying. Yet Vegeta for some reason gets some really solid punches in. That would mean he wasn't just stronger than SSJ3 Goku, but massively stronger. What the hell?

Oblivion

Oh and another thing! How does Vegeta know of the legend of the super saiyan, but not the super saiyan god? Why wasn't that passed along through generations? And if a super saiyan god is created via the combined power of several super saiyans, then doesn't that contradict the original legend of the super saiyan being the strongest in the universe?

Goddamn it, the more I examine this movie, the angrier I get.

Angry, really? Come on, it's Dragon Ball (Z), it's a fun, gag anime with adventures and exciting battles. There is literally no need to be upset.

Oblivion

Angry, really? Come on, it's Dragon Ball (Z), it's a fun, gag anime with adventures and exciting battles. There is literally no need to be upset.

"Angry" was probably too severe, yeah. But I was definitely annoyed. When I read the original summary when the movie came out in Japan, I thought it was pretty decent. But the more I think about it, the more the story irks me.

MikeMyers

iKpSeAIBHr3YA.png

Hilarious, but hey, he's not wrong.

Takao

Banned
Wait, so Kai never aired on Toonami? How is that possible? DBZ started on Toonami.

The original run of Toonami ended in 2008, which was before Kai started in Japan. Cartoon Network had dumped most of its anime programming that wasn't attached to a toyline. It wasn't until 2012 that the block started again. By then Kai was already on Nicktoons and The CW.

NeonZ

So I saw the movie in its entirety, finally. A few questions:

1. King Kai said Beerus is a god of destruction, opposite to a god of creation, like the Supreme Kai. Okay, but...
a) Why is there only one god of destruction as opposed to like 10 gods of creation

Was that actually stated in the movie? I can't remember it. Anyway, it might be enough for cosmic balance, since if you destroyed everything as soon as it was created there'd just be nothing.

b) Why is Beerus like a hundred times more powerful?
That's the whole point of the distinction. Gods of Creation can do things like create planets and moons, or make the strongest metal in the universe appear out of nowhere. Gods of Destruction can't create things, but have much stronger destructive abilities.

2. How was Shenron able to know the secret of the super saiyan god, yet King Kai, who presumably lived a lot longer and had been watching over the entire saiyan history not known about it?

He could know due to his wish granting ability. It's like asking why he can resurrect people but the god of Earth can't.

3. And how the hell did Vegeta's anger at Bulma getting slapped make him go beyond SSJ3? That made no goddamned sense. Goku at SSJ3 didn't get a single hit on Beerus, and he wasn't even trying. Yet Vegeta for some reason gets some really solid punches in. That would mean he wasn't just stronger than SSJ3 Goku, but massively stronger. What the hell?

That's an actual inconsistency. Dragonball/Z had rage boosts, but that one was completely out of proportion for a character not named "Gohan". I guess this is the type of problems that comes from an author returning to his series after a long time and not caring that much about seriousness.

MikeMyers

Goku used the former to make sure he KO'd Nappa before he got to Gohan and Kuririn.

The latter has destroyed several movie villains.

Takao

Banned
I wonder how Beerus and Whiss are involved, and why Frieza would even be a serious villain at this point, as Goku, Vegeta, Gohan, Gotenks, and Piccolo can basically one shot him.

Goku also has a new Gi.

In BoG, there's a throwaway comment from Beerus that said he wanted to destroy Freeza, so maybe he's involved with Freeza? He has a fiery aura surrounding him.

Since this is a Z branded film, does that mean Funimation is going to bring back Linda Young for the dub?

Not feeling it. Freeza couldn't even feel ki. He is super weak in the current time period in comparison. Unless he got a super asspull, I don't see how he is a threat.

Stulaw

Weird, I watched BoG for the first time a couple of days ago, and then new info comes out on the next movie, after BoG I'm pretty excited about this, and assume Freeza's become stronger than before, otherwise there'd be no point in his revival.

Edit: Krillen has no hair again, maybe it's before Cell while they were training to fight the Androids.

Edit 2: But then Beerus and Weiss are there.

Welfare

Weird, I watched BoG for the first time a couple of days ago, and then new info comes out on the next movie, after BoG I'm pretty excited about this, and assume Freeza's become stronger than before, otherwise there'd be no point in his revival.

Edit: Krillen has no hair again, maybe it's before Cell while they were training to fight the Androids.

Edit 2: But then Beerus and Weiss are there.

Early BOG promotions showed Gohan as a SSJ, so it might just be a mistake.

Only way Frieza could be a villain is if he gets a God power-up.

Stulaw

Early BOG promotions showed Gohan as a SSJ, so it might just be a mistake.

Only way Frieza could be a villain is if he gets a God power-up.

Yeah, that's probably it, maybe Beerus gets impatient in wanting Goku and Vegeta to power up, so he gives Frieza some power to fight them or something.

Who's the guy on the right? Gohan? Goten? His gi looks a bit like the one Krillin had in Battle of Gods. But then Krillin is right next to him wearing his old damn orange gi.

Vyktal

Who's the guy on the right? Gohan? Goten? His gi looks a bit like the one Krillin had in Battle of Gods. But then Krillin is right next to him wearing his old damn orange gi.

Totally Yamcha. Him and Krillin were wearing a similar outfit in BoG, I believe.

And agreed. Nice to see Yamcha and Krillin on the poster so they might actually do something. But with Krillin having no hair and in that orange suit... basically Kenny from South Park.

RedAssedApe

Banned
Totally Yamcha. Him and Krillin were wearing a similar outfit in BoG, I believe.

And agreed. Nice to see Yamcha and Krillin on the poster so they might actually do something. But with Krillin having no hair and in that orange suit... basically Kenny from South Park.

i still remember that episode in the anime where yamcha almost died because snuck into the capsule ship and turned on the 300g that vegeta was training in. lmao

Vyktal

I'm gonna be crazy (and super fanboyish) here. Wouldn't it be great if they made the humans relevant again by giving them a god power-up?

They could make it so earth has multiple human gods (representing elements or whatever) thus giving us an excuse to let Yamcha, Tien, Krillin and Videl actually be relevant again. Individually of course they'll be weaker than Saiyan god goku, but their main schtick is they fight as a team and together are very strong.

Plus it would be hilarious to see Kishimoto try to handle human religion.

Ahhhh, and my fanboy ejaculation is done.

Takao

Banned
n5HxXwg.jpg

Japanese TV teaser for Revival of F: http://youtu.be/Yu_nSVsusFQ
“Revival of ‘F'” 2015 DBZ Movie Trailer Teased on Japanese TV
In addition to general narration from the hosts, character dialog includes:

PICCOLO: He’s come back as a monster in a totally different league from us!
VEGETA: What’s going on?!
GOKU: Freeza!
FREEZA: Allow me to show you… my further evolution!

It may be worth noting that Freeza’s dialog here is slightly different from the similar quote printed in the recent January 2015 issue of V-Jump, where the word henshin (“transformation”) was used; here, it is shinka (“evolution” or “progression”).

Mezamashi TV also teased the movie earlier this year. The 2013 Dragon Ball Z film, Battle of Gods, was given similar teases on Mezamashi TV with previews and promotional videos.

The story for the movie is being crafted by original manga author Akira Toriyama, who stated he is writing it, “…as though it were a continuation of the manga when it was in serialization,” and that while it will, “…of course be a continuation of the previous Battle of Gods,” he has also, “…deliberately increased the amount of action scenes by a good deal.” Tadayoshi Yamamuro, who worked for many years as character designer and animation supervisor on the Dragon Ball franchise, will serve as the film’s director. No other movie staff have been confirmed at this time. Revival of “F” is set to bring back Freeza and will also include two new characters (Sorbet and Tagoma), feature Beerus and Whis again from Battle of Gods, and much more.

Apparently Funimation dubbed the 2008 special a while ago: https://twitter.com/MsDBZbabe/status/537273115920068608
A new shot at more nonsense transformations: http://youtu.be/bbTBpQBoJhU
Kai: The Final Chapters Japanese ED 3: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mi29JNepxt8

isamu

OMFG HOLY MOTHER OF MARY IN HEAVEN I CANT BELIEVE IT WTF WHERE ARE MY SEDATIVES AAAAHHH
All I can say is wow....how did I miss this event?

http://thedaoofdragonball.com/blog/interviews/dragon-ball-z-east-meets-west/

https://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=5HhyhPol-8A

I would have given ANYTHING to be there. Those fans are outrageously lucky to be in the same room as Nozawa-san.

Why in the every living shit hasn't Anime Expo invited Nozawa-san to the con? AX clearly likes DBZ. What is stopping them? They need to get on the ball and get this lovely lady to come to AX before gasp.....it's too late!!!

MikeMyers

Because at the time AT/Toei were trying to push Gohan/Saiyaman as the focus of the series.

Ten (and Chaozu) were written out of the end of the Cell Arc when he said no one would see him again. Even in the actual Buu Arc they only really made a cameo.

Top Bottom