• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dragon Ball Manga/Anime |OT| This isn't even our final thread

RELAYER

Banned
So what happened to the Cell of the time-line they are in?
Also what's that object that Trunks picks up at the end?

edit: nvm, there's another part I'm watching now.

Anth0ny

Toriyama has been dropping bombs.

What was 17 doing in the woods with a shotgun at the end of Z? Turns out he works in a wildlife preserve area, has a wife who is a zoologist, and 3 children, two of which are adopted.

lol gt

MikeMyers

His fight with Krillin was pretty cool.

Speaking of which, I'm pretty sure Piccolo is tied with Krillin for most deaths in the series.

Desmond

I see. I'm just wondering is anyone else following the Japanese airing of the Buu Saga. As I've never seen it before I'm just wondering how long do people reckon it will last episode wise? How much is getting covered per episode so far?

MikeMyers

I see. I'm just wondering is anyone else following the Japanese airing of the Buu Saga. As I've never seen it before I'm just wondering how long do people reckon it will last episode wise? How much is getting covered per episode so far?

I have been following it.

Many people think it will be 69 episodes.

Kai 99-103 has covered DBZ 200-212

Branson

Yeah a little bit. Just reading the responses on Kanzenshuu(basically the Neogaf of DB things). Episode 9 and they are halfway through the tournament stuff I think. It's supposed to be 69 episodes in total.

Can't wait for the English dub.

Past

I've been wanting to pick up the Dragon Ball Manga for a while, but got no idea what edition to get. There's so many version to choose from and all have pros and cons, there doesn't seems to be a 'definitive' edition. I was going to pick up the Vizbig then I saw that they're currently releasing 3-in-1 volumes which are supposedly uncensored, but apparently the paper quality is crap and there's no color pages. Then there's the full color edition, but from what I heard it will only cover Dragon Ball Z? So should I just get the Vizbig and be done with it even though it's censored?

MikeMyers

You could try tracking down the old single volumes. Are uncensored with decent paper quality, at least mine are anyway.

Odd, the first review on there is a review for the VizBigs. Silly Amazon.

Oh yeah, there's no color pages in that release though. The VizBig is the only one that includes the chapters that were colored. So basically, yeah, there isn't really a definitive version.

Takao

Banned
So, it's been very apparent that Kai 2.0 only exists because of international demand. It looked like it originally wasn't even set for a domestic broadcast, but Toriko flopping seems to have forced Toei's hand. This is my speculation; I suspect Toei already has a new project aligned for a Spring 2015 broadcast on Fuji TV. They're editing down the international version (which should be the real Kai adaptation of Boo) to make the Japanese run end by the time the next show is ready. We know the international run will be 69 episodes, which would delay the next series until the summer.

It seems like the Japanese version has different music placement and even OP/ED themes than what the international ones will have: http://www.kanzenshuu.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=798056#p798056

Branson

So, it's been very apparent that Kai 2.0 only exists because of international demand. It looked like it originally wasn't even set for a domestic broadcast, but Toriko flopping seems to have forced Toei's hand. This is my speculation; I suspect Toei already has a new project aligned for a Spring 2015 broadcast on Fuji TV. They're editing down the international version (which should be the real Kai adaptation of Boo) to make the Japanese run end by the time the next show is ready. We know the international run will be 69 episodes, which would delay the next series until the summer.

It seems like the Japanese version has different music placement and even OP/ED themes than what the international ones will have: http://www.kanzenshuu.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=798056#p798056

Yeah I've been reading that. What an odd thing. I really enjoy Kai so I'm glad we are getting a longer version if that means we get a continuation of the great english dub. But damn this is getting weird.

Takao

Banned
Dragon Ball Z Kai: The Final Chapters (International Version) Opening/Ending Pieces:
Fight It Out
Never Give Up

These are from the Korean broadcast and right now we don't know if that's a Korean dub of the tracks, or if the rest of the world will hear Engrish. I'm sure Funimation will just dub these, though.

For comparison, the Japanese Credits:
Kuu-Zen-Ketsu-Go
Dear, Zarathustra

I guess I should also mention that so far, we've seen no proof that these episodes exist in any aspect ratio other than 16:9. This is a problem because the rest of Kai was released globally in 4:3.

Toriyama has been dropping bombs.

What was 17 doing in the woods with a shotgun at the end of Z? Turns out he works in a wildlife preserve area, has a wife who is a zoologist, and 3 children, two of which are adopted.

lol gt

WOW lol this was explained in GT?

I never asked to know this.

Takao

Banned
If you guys aren't aware, a new movie has been announced for 2015.

Also, Toriyama has been revealing new info about some other pieces of the Dragon Ball world. He just recently shared the name of Mr. Satan's wife. I'm sure someone out there wondered about Mark's wife, but I'm not sure he needed to tell us that.

Deadstar

Anyone have any update on how do the the english show with english music in 4:3? All I want is to watch the show as it appeared on tv years ago. I don't need it in hd, I don't need it cropped widescreen or retouched. I just want the original. I've read a lot about the recent versions and none of them are what I want.

Anyone know if these will be released somehow? Why wouldn't they just slap these onto a dvd set without messing with them?

MikeMyers

Anyone have any update on how do the the english show with english music in 4:3? All I want is to watch the show as it appeared on tv years ago. I don't need it in hd, I don't need it cropped widescreen or retouched. I just want the original. I've read a lot about the recent versions and none of them are what I want.

Anyone know if these will be released somehow? Why wouldn't they just slap these onto a dvd set without messing with them?

The old single DVDs are 4:3 with Bruce Falcouner music.

http://www.amazon.com/dp/B00009RXM6/?tag=neogaf0e-20

Takao

Banned
Official Site and director revealed for the 2015 movie:

kooGBP3m.png

Tagline: "The worst wish in history. That is the beginning of despair."

Kanzenshuu:
The “Jump Victory Carnival” event is underway this weekend in Tokyo and many Japanese Dragon Ball fans have been tweeting out pictures of a flyer being handed out to attendees for the upcoming “Dragon Ball Z” movie. The artwork is the same as that used on the movie’s official “teaser” website, with the front of the flyer featuring Son Goku and the back showcasing Shenlong, along with a reprint of author Akira Toriyama’s initial comments about the movie. The only new piece of information is inconspicuously tucked away in the lower right-hand corner of the front of the flyer, listing veteran animator Tadayoshi Yamamuro as the movie’s director.

With Tadayoshi Yamamuro becoming Toei Animation’s “go-to guy” for anything Dragon Ball-related in the past, including being animation supervisor for Battle of Gods, it is unclear what will be happening with the animation supervisor position for this film. More than likely it will be filled by another animator, as opposed to having Yamamuro perform both roles, but nothing has been officially announced as of yet. Previously Yamamuro has only provided direction for the opening and ending animations for Dragon Ball Kai, so it will be interesting to see how he adapts to a much larger, and more important, project such as this.

360pages

Dragon Ball Z Kai: The Final Chapters (International Version) Opening/Ending Pieces:
Fight It Out
Never Give Up

These are from the Korean broadcast and right now we don't know if that's a Korean dub of the tracks, or if the rest of the world will hear Engrish. I'm sure Funimation will just dub these, though.

For comparison, the Japanese Credits:
Kuu-Zen-Ketsu-Go
Dear, Zarathustra

I guess I should also mention that so far, we've seen no proof that these episodes exist in any aspect ratio other than 16:9. This is a problem because the rest of Kai was released globally in 4:3.

I'm kind of disappointed that they didn't use this fight it out

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BGY_6XJJ34E

Takao

Banned
http://youtu.be/0VN6huexcEM

Kanzenshuu:
The complete teaser for the upcoming 2015 Dragon Ball Z movie, initially shown in segments just the other day on Mezamashi TV, has been added to the movie’s official website at d2015gw.com:

Most notably, after Shenlong provides his usual spiel about granting a single wish, the video contains a new quote in text:

生き返らせてほしい者がいます

There’s someone I want you to revive

Adjusted text from the initial V-Jump reveal is also included:

いま、絶望が始まる

Now, despair begins

The as-of-yet untitled film will debut in Japan during “Golden Week” next year. Original manga author Akira Toriyama is heavily involved with the script and character designs, while series veteran Tadayoshi Yamamuro will also serve as director.
plsdontbebardockplsdontbebardockplsdontbebardockplsdontbebardockplsdontbebardockpls

also, party like it's 2001

score's dbz ccg is coming back
Panini America, the leading global publisher of licensed sports and entertainment collectibles, announced today that it is bringing the popular Dragon Ball Z card game back to the market for the first time since 2004.

The 2014 edition features more than 200 new cards, reprints of past fan favorites and is completely compatible with the original series. The new game was developed by Panini America Brand Manager Aik Tongtharadol, a former Dragon Ball Z world champion who also worked on the original Dragon Ball Z Trading Card Game, most recently in 2004. Company officials will preview and demo the game to the public for the first time this week during the 2014 Comic-Con International in San Diego; company officials also will distribute one free 2014 Dragon Ball Z Promo card each day of the show (Thursday through Sunday) while supplies last.

“We’re thrilled to be able to bring back Dragon Ball Z after so many years away; it’s a true cult classic that has a fiercely loyal following in the TCG community,” said Jason Howarth, Panini America Vice President of Marketing. “The fact that the new release is completely compatible with those original releases from the early 2000s is huge. Dragon Ball Z loyalists will appreciate how true this new release is to the original; new players will appreciate the ease and pace of game play.”

Panini America will release a 69-card 2014 Dragon Ball Z Starter Deck ($14.99 SRP) that features five Prizm technology cards and one parallel in every deck; 12-card Booster Packs will carry a $3.99 SRP. Both Starter Decks and Booster Packs will feature exclusive cards.

“The Dragon Ball Z card game is one that’s near and dear to me personally, and it’s been beyond rewarding developing its triumphant return,” Tongtharadol said. “In creating this edition, we’ve worked diligently to make it as appealing to longtime fans of the game as it is to the countless new fans who will experience it for the first time. That’s a real strength of this game and I can’t wait to see how fans react to it.”

Panini America’s 2014 Dragon Ball Z card game will arrive in retail stores across North America in late August. You can check out a preview gallery of selected Starter Deck and Booster Pack cards below. Stay tuned to The Knight’s Lance for additional coverage, including later today when we detail our promotional plans for 2014 Comic-Con International that begins today.
http://paniniamerica.wordpress.com/...ringing-back-popular-dragon-ball-z-card-game/

Heroman

Banned
plsdontbebardockplsdontbebardockplsdontbebardockplsdontbebardockplsdontbebardockpls
]

Doubt it would be barodck as the only person who would want him back would be goku and he doesn't seem to care about him, and he wouldnt be worst wish ever material. Also sheron cant bring back people who have been dead longer than a year.

Giolon

I'm surprised that there isn't much talk about the movie, I guess whoever wanted to see it already saw it.

I went and saw it at the theater tonight, and I really enjoyed it! I appreciated that after so long there was so much more to it than just some big bad for Goku to fight. It felt like a fanservice movie - as in for fans of Dragonball, not just the fights of Z. There were quite a few characters in it that I never expected to appear, and nearly everyone had a moment. Most of them were hilarious.

I thought Beerus was fun in that he wasn't the typical evil DBZ villain. He's a God of Destruction. Destroying things is his entire reason for existing - and he's bored.

My one complaint is that there wasn't enough fighting. While all the other antics and humor were greatly appreciated, I do expect a good throwdown from DBZ. What was there was pretty cool, though too brief. It was great to see some modern animation techniques applied to these classic characters. Sometimes the CG was a little too jarring, but other times it was used to great effect giving us angles and pans we'd never see with traditional techniques.

I thought it was easily worth the $10 to go get to see it in a theater full of DBZ fans. It may not be the best Dragonball content, but I had a smile from ear to ear the whole time.

Takao

Banned
I saw Battle of Gods earlier today and yeah : ) I still have some issues with the movie but I can't be mad.

I'm surprised they did a
complete manga run
during the end credits.

TCKaos

Are they ever going to release the other Dragon Box stuff here?

Which other stuff? The movies/OVAs?

I dunno. As far as we know Funi might not even have the Dragon Box masters for them.

On top of that the actual Dragon Boxes had a very limited run. Dragon Box 2 goes for anywhere from $250-$700 now.

Top Bottom