• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dragon Ball Manga/Anime |OT| This isn't even our final thread

SolVanderlyn

Thanos acquires the fully powered Infinity Gauntlet in The Avengers: Infinity War, but loses when all the superheroes team up together to stop him.
Just saw the manga. Apparently Bardock and Gine did care about their children, and Freeza mentions Super Saiyan God. Bardock's crew from the OVA doesn't exist; his partner is a Saiyan with a buzzcut.
So this manga can't co-exist with the OVA? That's a shame.

Madness

Will watch the Buu Kai saga, but honestly, I know a lot of people give Faulconer crap for his songs and how Funimation overused them a lot, but he really hit his stride during the Buu Saga, and the themes were really great. Will be weird watching without them again.

Will be interesting to see it without filler, see how they streamline the fights.

FSLink

Banned
Looks pretty good.

My only annoyance with it is that it pretty much spoils everything in the arc in regards to transformations/forms and whatnot.
Granted, I know quite a few people watching will have likely seen all that anyways.
That's just me nitpicking though.

Well Japanese DBZ is pretty notorious for spoiling an episode's plot in the episode title...it's along the same lines.

MikeMyers

A new Dragon Ball chapter was released which debuts the mother of Goku.

I wasn't a fan of it, it feels like Goku is more similar to Superman than he already was. Plus Bardock is becoming overexposed. Honestly there are so many other characters with unexplained back-stories that could have been explored: Yajirobe, Chaozu, even Puar & Oolong!

I've read Dragon Ball- a couple of times this evening but held off posting because I'm really not sure what to say about it.

As a standalone chapter it's pretty okay and if it had been included in the manga like the future Trunks chapter it'd be just kinda "whatever" but like two decades after the Bardock special it just feels like not only a contradiction of that but just to what we understand of Saiyan culture generally.

I'm always keen for more Toriyama DB but it's just kinda... something that's just there.

MikeMyers

I've read Dragon Ball- a couple of times this evening but held off posting because I'm really not sure what to say about it.

As a standalone chapter it's pretty okay and if it had been included in the manga like the future Trunks chapter it'd be just kinda "whatever" but like two decades after the Bardock special it just feels like not only a contradiction of that but just to what we understand of Saiyan culture generally.

I'm always keen for more Toriyama DB but it's just kinda... something that's just there.

YamchaFlipOffCell_2303.png

You see that? That comes from you not responding to me in my SM domain.

Yeah the chapter just felt redundant. I wanna see more Oolong, he is my favourite character.

jaxword

A new Dragon Ball chapter was released which debuts the mother of Goku.

I wasn't a fan of it, it feels like Goku is more similar to Superman than he already was. Plus Bardock is becoming overexposed. Honestly there are so many other characters with unexplained back-stories that could have been explored: Yajirobe, Chaozu, even Puar & Oolong!

Characters that no one cares about? Yeah, Toriyama's really going to be bringing in the readers with that.

Can't really contradict something we were never officially shown, AT may have made the Bardock character from the tv special canon but that doesn't mean everything in it was .

MikeMyers

Characters that no one cares about? Yeah, Toriyama's really going to be bringing in the readers with that.

Who cares about the readers? Toriyama's probably got enough money to just write about whatever the hell he wants too.

I guess if I had to pick a famous character from a series....Freeza backstory?

YamchaFlipOffCell_2303.png

You see that? That comes from you not responding to me in my SM domain.

Yeah the chapter just felt redundant. I wanna see more Oolong, he is my favourite character.

Figured we'd Dragon Balled the SM thread enough for now :p

Can't really contradict something we were never officially shown, AT may have made the Bardock character from the tv special canon but that doesn't mean everything in it was .

Certainly, the television special was never explicitly canon to the comic. Just saying that compared to, say, the Trunks special where there was always Toriyama's version and Toei's version the Father of Goku special has had like two decades to work itself into fan consciousness largely uncontested. Even without going into those details, Saiyan society is a lot more domesticated in DB- than suggested in existing materials.

I'm not saying it's wrong, since Toriyama is obviously the ultimate authority on the material and it still largely gels with his original work, but the story told is still odd from the long term fan perspective.

jaxword

Who cares about the readers? Toriyama's probably got enough money to just write about whatever the hell he wants too.

I guess if I had to pick a famous character from a series....Freeza backstory?

Well if you take that stance, then Toriyama would probably only be creatively motivated by a character he cared about. I doubt he cares much about Yajirobe, a two-note joke character.

MikeMyers

I suppose so, but I'm just really saturated with Bardock at this point. The TV Special was enough for me. How about these?

Android 19: The Father of Chaozu
Hasky: The Sister of Lunch
Yamcha: The Father of Gohan

And Box of Bunnies, you can still talk about Tekken Sailor Moon!

hiroshawn

Banned
I recently re-watched Dragonball series on Hulu plus. anyone else notice how ruthless Goku was compared to DBZ. He was a ruthless little cunt.

http://i.imgur.com/SDGXbDK.jpg[/MG]

[IMG]http://i.imgur.com/ogOJ898.jpg[IMG]

[IMG]http://i.imgur.com/lFqkA8s.jpg[IMG][/QUOTE]

Goku and Chichi didn't want the rest of their friends to know they were into NTR so the true parentage of the children was taken to their (multiple) graves.

[quote="hiroshawn, post: 107757066"]I recently re-watched Dragonball series on Hulu plus. anyone else notice how ruthless Goku was compared to DBZ. He was a ruthless little cunt.[/QUOTE]

He chills out after his training with Kami and Popo. Goes from killing Red Ribbon fools all over the place and hungering for revenge after Krillin dies to just being happy to challenge strong opponents.

MikeMyers

Personally, I think it had more to do with him realizing that he was the best by the 23rd Budokai and wanted to keep a strong opponent around to satisfy his adrenaline for a challenge.

"Kill Piccolo? Nah, got to keep a good challenge around, I mean who else would I fight? Tenshinhan? Krillin? Yamcha? I already beat those scrubs"

MikeMyers

Just watched the latest episode of the Buu Arc Kai. Not digging it at all, they are going through the material way too fast. This felt like a Greatest Hits episode.

Not to mention the new music and no more Sailor Saturn voicing Videl.

isamu

OMFG HOLY MOTHER OF MARY IN HEAVEN I CANT BELIEVE IT WTF WHERE ARE MY SEDATIVES AAAAHHH
Just watched the latest episode of the Buu Arc Kai. Not digging it at all, they are going through the material way too fast. This felt like a Greatest Hits episode.

This is precisely why I've avoided watching Kai. Give me the original uncut series or give me death. Not sure what they were thinking creating Kai.

Man God

Non-Canon Member
This is precisely why I've avoided watching Kai. Give me the original uncut series or give me death. Not sure what they were thinking creating Kai.

I haven't seen the Buu arc at all but everything else so far Kai has been the better version to watch. They did a fantastic job with it.

MikeMyers

Kai pre-Buu arc is watchable, but this wasn't imo.

They cut out WAY too much footage for episode #2, it has choppy editing and the pacing just flies by without a care in the world. Not to mention the music and the Videl recast. So far, I'm still liking the original DBZ episodes better. Plus I always liked the Saiyaman filler anyways.

I'll probably keep watching until around the time Super Buu shows up since that is when I lost interest in the arc. Buu was pretty interesting at first, but when he became the skinny and tall he just turns into a generic villain. Not to mention it becomes string of battles that even Toriyama got sick of. The final fight was handled well though, most notable Mr. Satan's part.

Anth0ny

I like the idea behind Kai. DBZ without the filler. Awesome.

But the fact that Toei is so god damn cheap that they are just (poorly) editing 20 year old footage and not just taking the god damn time to re-animate the series is fucking ridiculous. As if Dragon Ball isn't a franchise worth investing the time/money into...

I can't imagine it would be that difficult, either. It's not like they need to write new content, like GT. It's all there already, just re-animate it with 2014 standards. Between the video game cutscenes and random bullshit produced for gameshows, they've basically re-animated the entire series already. It baffles me.

MikeMyers

This series filler is interesting because it has damn near everything:

Good expansion of fights:
- Yamcha vs Tenshinhan (Wolf Hurricane!)
- Goku vs Cell
- Gohan vs Dabura

Bad expansion of fights:
- Gohan vs Recoome
- Goku vs Freeza
- Gohan vs Cell

Good original stories:
- Turtles Birthday Episode
- Much of the Saiyan Arc Filler
- Anything with Yamcha, Tenshinhan, or Chaotzu

Annoying Filler:
- Long ass recaps
- Mr. Satan's damned "disciples" in the Cell Game
- Cutaways to side characters during important events

Strangely enough I like all the most hated Freeza arc filler: the space orphans, fake Namek, and Bulma & the crab.

MikeMyers

22nd Budokai is ridiculously fun; the fight with Krillin and Chaozu is one of my favourites.

Goku's fight in the first round is really lame though. You know who he should have faced? Bora.

Branson

A better english dub was a good reason for me to watch Kai. Original english dub is hard for me to watch now. The filler being removed is a nice bonus.

MikeMyers

Just watched the latest episode of Kai. Well, Videl cut her hair, so the series has jumped the shark now.

In all seriousness, the editing has improved but the music still feels out of place and I can't get used to Naru-Videl to save my life.

Krillin and Piccolo debuted here! Next episode is Yamcha, Puar, and Oolong. I always like how Vegeta has a big breakdown at the end of the Cell arc and claims he'll never fight again, but then talks bout how he has been training for seven years and is going to whoop Gohan's butt in the Saiyaman arc.

Branson

Just watched the latest episode of Kai. Well, Videl cut her hair, so the series has jumped the shark now.

In all seriousness, the editing has improved but the music still feels out of place and I can't get used to Naru-Videl to save my life.

Krillin and Piccolo debuted here! Next episode is Yamcha, Puar, and Oolong. I always like how Vegeta has a big breakdown at the end of the Cell arc and claims he'll never fight again, but then talks bout how he has been training for seven years and is going to whoop Gohan's butt in the Saiyaman arc.
There seems to be a lot of mixed feelings about the Buu arc right now. Green tint, music not being too great, weird editing. Hopefully it gets a bit better as it goes like the original run did.

FreeMufasa

I just clocked something. Piccolo is only like 6 years older than Gohan. And using dende as a reference point, we know they age around the same pace as humans. So piccolo probag just had a growth spurt. That's why Gohan is his best friend and he doesn't see him as a son.

MikeMyers

I just clocked something. Piccolo is only like 6 years older than Gohan. And using dende as a reference point, we know they age around the same pace as humans. So piccolo probag just had a growth spurt. That's why Gohan is his best friend and he doesn't see him as a son.

Piccolo is Gohan's age but Goku's height
Krillin is Goku's age but Gohan's height

Top Bottom