• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dragon Ball Manga/Anime |OT| This isn't even our final thread

Loxley

Hey guys, popping my head I here to ask a question that's probably been discussed a lot already. I've been thinking about picking up a couple of the DBZ blu-rays but not sure which ones to go for. From what I understand the newest releases are the highest quality remasters, but the Kai blu-rays remove a lot of the filler content and are superior edits overall. Any suggestions?

MikeMyers

Hey guys, popping my head I here to ask a question that's probably been discussed a lot already. I've been thinking about picking up a couple of the DBZ blu-rays but not sure which ones to go for. From what I understand the newest releases are the highest quality remasters, but the Kai blu-rays remove a lot of the filler content and are superior edits overall. Any suggestions?

Kai Blu-Rays are better in my opinion, the new Z releases are cropped from 4:3 to 16:9

FSLink

Banned
For normal Z skip Blurays and go with Dragon Boxes. But since those are out of print go with Kai.

jaxword

I have a manga here that is about Vegeta taking the lead role instead of Goku, and how the stories go differently.

I'll post it here if I can translate it.

1n76EQU.jpg

4GmWZJX.jpg

If anyone can read Japanese, I could use help in doing so. I think a lot of people would like it.

RELAYER

Banned
You know, for as much as Vegeta goes on about avenging the Saiyan race/ Saiyan pride, being a Saiyan and whatever, he sure seems to fuck over, try to kill, and in general be a dick to Goku a lot.

You know, for as much as Vegeta goes on about avenging the Saiyan race/ Saiyan pride, being a Saiyan and whatever, he sure seems to fuck over, try to kill, and in general be a dick to Goku a lot.

A low class Saiyan is worse than no Saiyan at all. Goku is an affront to Vegeta's sensibilities.

RELAYER

Banned
So Vegeta is not only a racist and a classist, but actually fails at being both of them.

Fails at being a racist because he can't even look out for his own race (especially since there's only 1 other one left)
Fails at being a classist because the dude who is supposed to be beneath him is actually better than him in every way.

What a guy.

FreeMufasa

No I meant before they even started fighting. Freeza in his base form was 250,000 - 500,000. Considering he got killed by Nappa, why would he think he could stand a snowball's chance against Freeza?

I just think they couldn't comprehend how strong frieza would actually be. He probably thought he'd be around 80k at most and they could all gang up on him. That's why he flips out the second he arrives on namek and sensed his true power.

Man, no one wants to help with that manga? That's a shame.

Many active, popular franchises will have hundreds of fans ready to translate or retranslate interviews, exclusive content and entire games, but when it comes to content from older franchises -- such as developer interviews from Final Fantasy Ultimania guides, Chrono series materials, and fan mangas -- there's usually not a single volunteer in the entire English world, sadly.

Loxley

Picked up the first Kai blu-ray, enjoying it so far. The only gripe I have is with Gohan's new voice actor; holy fucking shit is it grating to listen to. Especially since Gohan spends the first chunk of episodes screaming, crying and laughing obnoxiously.

Maron

Picked up the first Kai blu-ray, enjoying it so far. The only gripe I have is with Gohan's new voice actor; holy fucking shit is it grating to listen to. Especially since Gohan spends the first chunk of episodes screaming, crying and laughing obnoxiously.

Huh, found her a lot better than the original FUNi actress.

Loxley

Huh, found her a lot better than the original FUNi actress.

I'm keeping an open mind that it'll get better as Gohan ages in the show and cries a little less often. When he's just talking it's fine, it's just when he yells that it gets on my nerves.

Takao

Banned
“Jaco” Bonus Comic Title Revealed: “Dragon Ball Minus”

v2r12sS.jpg

More information is still coming out of AnimeJapan 2014, again courtesy of forum member Gerardo Martinez. This time, he happened to spot a banner advertising the 04 April 2014 release of Jaco the Galactic Patrolman, but the real item of interest is the revelation of the title for the included bonus comic: “Dragon Ball Minus“. (Photo courtesy of @dbfor_rien)

This bonus comic was announced last month via a “Super Q&A” with Akira Toriyama accompanying the March 2014 issue of Saikyō Jump, and is set to introduce for the first time Goku’s mother, Gine. The illustration accompanying the images features an individual in Saiyan armor who appears to be Goku himself, as he appeared in the final chapter of Jaco the Galactic Patrolman, but all will become clear when the volume itself is released next week.

dan2026

Why on earth did Funi crop their Blu-rays, who on earth thought that would be acceptable?

Can you imagine some old movie made in 4:3 being cropped, just because tv's are 16:9?
People would have a fit.

Anth0ny

Why on earth did Funi crop their Blu-rays, who on earth thought that would be acceptable?

Can you imagine some old movie made in 4:3 being cropped, just because tv's are 16:9?
People would have a fit.

9 year old youtubers are the majority of people who buy dragon ball z dvds

they want 1080P WIDESCREEN HD QUALITY DO NOT STEAL, not shitty, grain filled 4:3 that doesn't even fit their tv screen

gosh who would want that

FSLink

Banned
9 year old youtubers are the majority of people who buy dragon ball z dvds

they want 1080P WIDESCREEN HD QUALITY DO NOT STEAL, not shitty, grain filled 4:3 that doesn't even fit their tv screen

gosh who would want that

I wish Funimation would just add like a pamphlet or something telling them about the zoom/stretch option available on 99% of all widescreen TVs instead of letting the ignorant stay ignorant.

MikeMyers

So I finished my rewatch of the Pilaf Arc and this still holds up as my favourtie arc. I like how the main five all had unique skill sets and personalities. Oolong's definitely my favourite character in the entire series, and its a shame he never gets anything important to do after this arc. On another hand, Pu-erh's probably the only one I never really cared for here as he's really just there for Yamcha to give exposition. I really didn't like the series shifted from adventure-like to Shonen Battle stuff when Tenshinhan/Piccolo appear, but I didn't stop liking the series until the Cell Arc.

As for the anime adaptation of the Pilaf Arc, I like how Pilaf's crew were added in to the earlier events through the filler. The only thing I never really liked was the Oozaru Goku battle. He becomes paralyzed when Yamcha (and Puar/Oolong in the anime) grab his tail, so why on Earth would you cut his tail of and remove his only weakness? They just got lucky Goku transformed there instead of just continuing to rampage.

Hunt For the Dragon Balls Review Part 1
Hunt For the Dragon Balls Review Part 2
Hunt For the Dragon Balls Review Part 3

Also, Tōru Furuya is top-tier.

As for the anime adaptation of the Pilaf Arc, I like how Pilaf's crew were added in to the earlier events through the filler.

Yeah, I mostly like how filler was done in Dragon Ball and early Z. Doing little self-contained stories or fleshing out character roles is a lot better than the same pan over the environment or cutaway to a battle observer or whatever just dragging shit out. The episodes aren't always great, but at least it actually adds something and at worst doesn't affect the flow of the core content. Tenshinhan and Chaoz similarly appear earlier in the show than in the comic, though not as integrated as Pilaf and co.

I guess the shift in the way it's handled was mostly down to the change in format. It's easy to add in a village or cave or whatever for an original story when the characters are travelling and adventuring a lot, but once it's wall to wall battlebattlebattle it gets harder to slip that kind of stuff in. You still get a bit of it added where possible with stuff like Gohan's training, the driving episode and Taopaipai's return but mostly it falls back to just padding out the fights.

MikeMyers

I actually don't like the driving episode, but I love the Saiyan Training Arc. The manga just felt lacking there. The fillers in that arc helped flesh out Gohan's character more and I like the stuff with the humans (Lunch finding Tenshinhan and Yamcha becoming the world's greatest baseball player).

Tenshinhan's anime debut is pretty cool. In fact Tenshinhan and Choazu really shine in filler. They're generally ignored in canon, but I guess Toriyama didn't know what to do with them since Ten's rivalry with Goku ended at the 23rd Budokai.

Big One

Banned
Seems to be ignoring the anime completely in terms of how it depicts Goku, Vegeta, and Bardock which is fine. The manga never said how old Goku was when he was found nor did it show him as a butt-nake baby like in the anime.

Vyktal

So I finished my rewatch of the Pilaf Arc and this still holds up as my favourtie arc. I like how the main five all had unique skill sets and personalities. Oolong's definitely my favourite character in the entire series, and its a shame he never gets anything important to do after this arc. On another hand, Pu-erh's probably the only one I never really cared for here as he's really just there for Yamcha to give exposition. I really didn't like the series shifted from adventure-like to Shonen Battle stuff when Tenshinhan/Piccolo appear, but I didn't stop liking the series until the Cell Arc.

As for the anime adaptation of the Pilaf Arc, I like how Pilaf's crew were added in to the earlier events through the filler. The only thing I never really liked was the Oozaru Goku battle. He becomes paralyzed when Yamcha (and Puar/Oolong in the anime) grab his tail, so why on Earth would you cut his tail of and remove his only weakness? They just got lucky Goku transformed there instead of just continuing to rampage.

Hunt For the Dragon Balls Review Part 1
Hunt For the Dragon Balls Review Part 2
Hunt For the Dragon Balls Review Part 3

Also, Tōru Furuya is top-tier.

Cheers for those youtube reviews! They're great!

Goku's mom looks like she's straight out of a different manga like One Piece or something.

Bardock at least looks a bit villainous here unlike his depiction in Episode of Bardock.

Top Bottom