• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

New Dragon Ball Z Animated Film Announced For 2015

Status
Not open for further replies.

Takao

Banned
Update #5: Japanese TV teaser: http://youtu.be/Yu_nSVsusFQ
“Revival of ‘F'” 2015 DBZ Movie Trailer Teased on Japanese TV
In addition to general narration from the hosts, character dialog includes:

PICCOLO: He’s come back as a monster in a totally different league from us!
VEGETA: What’s going on?!
GOKU: Freeza!
FREEZA: Allow me to show you… my further evolution!

It may be worth noting that Freeza’s dialog here is slightly different from the similar quote printed in the recent January 2015 issue of V-Jump, where the word henshin (“transformation”) was used; here, it is shinka (“evolution” or “progression”).

Mezamashi TV also teased the movie earlier this year. The 2013 Dragon Ball Z film, Battle of Gods, was given similar teases on Mezamashi TV with previews and promotional videos.

The story for the movie is being crafted by original manga author Akira Toriyama, who stated he is writing it, “…as though it were a continuation of the manga when it was in serialization,” and that while it will, “…of course be a continuation of the previous Battle of Gods,” he has also, “…deliberately increased the amount of action scenes by a good deal.” Tadayoshi Yamamuro, who worked for many years as character designer and animation supervisor on the Dragon Ball franchise, will serve as the film’s director. No other movie staff have been confirmed at this time. Revival of “F” is set to bring back Freeza and will also include two new characters (Sorbet and Tagoma), feature Beerus and Whis again from Battle of Gods, and much more.

Update #4:

V-Jump Unveils New Dragon Ball Z 2015 Movie Title & Date:
The January issue of V-Jump, officially slated for release this Friday (21 November 2014), features a detailed “DB Scoop” on the upcoming Dragon Ball Z movie (originally reported by Anime News Network). The scoop features a new visual for the film, the first seen since the movie was announced this past July. It is more than likely the movie’s official poster, which features our main protagonists, Beerus, Whis, Freeza, and two new unsavory characters.

The movie poster also reveals the film’s official title and release date:

Dragon Ball Z: Revival of “F”

Opening day, set at last!!! Saturday, 18 April 2015: A super-wide release nationwide in 2D and 3D!!!

Unlike with the previous film, Kami to Kami / Battle of Gods, no supplementary or alternative English title is provided. The movie will premiere nationwide in Japan 18 April 2015 in both 2D and 3D formats. This release date is a bit earlier than expected by most, but it is perhaps intended to build the movie’s momentum going into the Golden Week holiday break.

At the moment we cannot verify plot details — or Toriyama’s comments — beyond what is currently described elsewhere. However, the general plot details from Anime News Network are as follows:

An Earth where peace has arrived. However, remnants of Freeza’s army Sorbet and Tagoma arrive on the planet. Their goal is to revive Freeza with the Dragon Balls. Their dastardly wish is granted, and the “F” that plans its revenge against the Saiyans is revived…!

Two new characters will appear in the movie: Sorbet (ソルベ) and Tagoma (タゴマ), shown below on the left and right, respectively. Following the fine nuances of the name puns in the last film, these name puns seem awfully transparent. As with all of Freeza’s minions, as described by Akira Toriyama in the Super Exciting Guide volumes, the names are “unified as food items that one puts inside [a refrigerator]”. Therefore, Sorbet gets his name directly from the frozen dessert “sorbet”, while Tagoma’s name is derived from the Japanese word tamago (卵), meaning “egg”.

Toriyama’s original designs for the characters are included in the magazine, along with a brief description:

A mysterious pair of planetary warriors, equipped with the latest type of battle armor!! “Tagoma” in particular looks to be wearing a new type of Scouter!!

The tidbit about the new type of Scouter is very reminiscent of what Toriyama revealed in his interview with Naho Ooishi in the July 2014 issue of Saikyō Jump. He stated (bold added for emphasis):

If you’re a soldier in Freeza’s army, you can have one made to order to fit your ear. The different screen colors can be chosen to fit the peculiarities of different aliens’ eyes, or to suit one’s tastes. Also, dual-eye types exist as well.

This comment came just one month prior to the new movie being officially announced, so it is likely that Toriyama slipped this tidbit in solely because of his work on the upcoming movie, possibly having just drawn these character designs. Also of note is the text reading “更なる変” that is cut off in the upper right corner. This is likely the phrase “更なる変身”, which means “further transformation(s)”. Based on the image available, there is no indication whether this is in reference to Freeza or a Saiyan warrior.

Update #3:
Direct Teaser - http://youtu.be/0VN6huexcEM

Kanzenshuu:
The complete teaser for the upcoming 2015 Dragon Ball Z movie, initially shown in segments just the other day on Mezamashi TV, has been added to the movie’s official website at d2015gw.com:

Most notably, after Shenlong provides his usual spiel about granting a single wish, the video contains a new quote in text:

生き返らせてほしい者がいます

There’s someone I want you to revive

Adjusted text from the initial V-Jump reveal is also included:

いま、絶望が始まる

Now, despair begins

The as-of-yet untitled film will debut in Japan during “Golden Week” next year. Original manga author Akira Toriyama is heavily involved with the script and character designs, while series veteran Tadayoshi Yamamuro will also serve as director.

Update #2:
Teaser: http://youtu.be/tEKBm8ARtG0

Update:
Official Site and director revealed:

kooGBP3m.png

Tagline: "The worst wish in history. That is the beginning of despair."

Kanzenshuu:
The “Jump Victory Carnival” event is underway this weekend in Tokyo and many Japanese Dragon Ball fans have been tweeting out pictures of a flyer being handed out to attendees for the upcoming “Dragon Ball Z” movie. The artwork is the same as that used on the movie’s official “teaser” website, with the front of the flyer featuring Son Goku and the back showcasing Shenlong, along with a reprint of author Akira Toriyama’s initial comments about the movie. The only new piece of information is inconspicuously tucked away in the lower right-hand corner of the front of the flyer, listing veteran animator Tadayoshi Yamamuro as the movie’s director.

With Tadayoshi Yamamuro becoming Toei Animation’s “go-to guy” for anything Dragon Ball-related in the past, including being animation supervisor for Battle of Gods, it is unclear what will be happening with the animation supervisor position for this film. More than likely it will be filled by another animator, as opposed to having Yamamuro perform both roles, but nothing has been officially announced as of yet. Previously Yamamuro has only provided direction for the opening and ending animations for Dragon Ball Kai, so it will be interesting to see how he adapts to a much larger, and more important, project such as this.

Original Post:
Kanzenshuu:
The September issue of V-Jump officially hits Japanese store shelves this Saturday (19 July 2014) and, as originally reported by Anime News Network, will contain a “scoop” unveiling a new Dragon Ball Z movie. The movie is currently still in development, with original author Akira Toriyama once again providing the original concept, writing the script, and drawing character designs. Toriyama provides a comment discussing his involvement — and the fact that it will indeed be a brand new story to the series — but teases the events of the story are still a secret. The movie is slated to open during Japan’s “Golden Week”, most likely sometime in early May 2015.

Dragon Ball Z: Battle of Gods, the franchise’s most recent film and the first produced in 17 years, premiered on 30 March 2013 and was first announced 14 July 2012 in the 33rd issue of Weekly Shōnen Jump, in which Toriyama also relayed his comments. As soon as we are able to obtain a copy of the magazine ourselves, we will be sure to provide a translation of Toriyama’s new comment.

[As with the last movie], I thought up the new story for the next Dragon Ball theatrical movie as though it were a continuation of the manga when it was in serialization. Just the fact that I don’t have to draw anything means I can obsess completely over the smallest bits of dialogue. Well, the truth is that I wasn’t planning on going that far, since it’s pretty exhausting at my age, but I got a little carried away.

This time will of course be a continuation of the previous Battle of Gods, but I’ve deliberately increased the amount of action scenes by a good deal. With regards to the contents, they told me, “Keep it a secret!” like they’re all high-and-mighty, so I can’t touch on it yet, but it should be super-duper interesting!

The fact that I’d say that, when I’m not big on the flashy action-stuff, means there’s no doubt about it! Even my very first editor Torishima, who rarely ever praises me, said, “This is good!”

Absolutely no doubt about it! …Although it won’t be any good if I say that too loudly and people end up disappointed by it, but at the very least, I’m confident that the contents are something that the fans will be able to thoroughly enjoy! Right now, I’m drawing the design illustrations for the new character and such. The movie’s completion is still a ways out in the future, but please look forward to it!!

TheBear

I honestly don't understand why they haven't done a new series.
They have new video games and bullshit every year, they are leaving money on the table by not developing new characters and stories to further market their shit.

Cbajd5

give us a new series already, it's time

Well he did give us Jaco the Galactic Patrolman recently, which
works as a prequel to the whole Dragonball series,
even though it was only 11 chapters long. He said multiple times in interviews related to it that it'd probably be the last series he does on his own, so anything else really wouldn't be the same.

Mecha

I honestly don't understand why they haven't done a new series.
They have new video games and bullshit every year, they are leaving money on the table by not developing new characters and stories to further market their shit.

Toriyama doesn't seem to like making DBZ enough to slog through making a new manga, but he likes money enough to do movies.

Takao

Banned
Yatta!

wait utterly funny?

I need my serious dbz dawg

There are 13 other movies that are action beat downs of a serious tone.

Toriyama doesn't seem to like making DBZ enough to slog through making a new manga, but he likes money enough to do movies.

He made a new Dragon Ball manga series last year. It's just that he's getting up there in years and can't handle the WSJ grind. Jaco was planned meticulously in advance to it launching.

Busaiku

A biannual release schedule's cool.
So it'd be Japanese release, US release a year later, then the next Japanese release.

Takao

Banned
I agree with that, but it also seems like he just doesn't want to make more DBZ. Not like that won't stop him from getting some money through these movies.

Is that a surprise? Prior to Dragon Ball, Toriyama did slapstick gag manga. Everything he's done post-Dragon Ball has been the same. Through editors and popularity he stumbled into battle manga. Dragon Ball started out as a comedic adventure series too. By the end of it he clearly was burned out, and that was evidenced by the fact that he barely did anything with his most popular work in over 10 years. I do think he genuinely wants to do more Dragon Ball now.

Big One

Banned
So he's going to do something that he wanted to make this time? Sounds like it's going to be awesome. Can't wait. I'm expecting it to be stupid like Boo arc though which isn't necessarily a bad thing as I thought some of the stuff in Boo arc was golden like the Satan and Boo interactions.

Do we really need another generic evil villain threatens to destroy the world? BOTG was good because it was different. Beers wasn't evil, and the fight between him and goku was more like a training session, they weren't wanting to murder each other. I hope the next movie is just a fun movie again. Bring back Beers and Whis.

Maybe not. They did the new Bardock sequel way ahead of schedule.

Only because they had the characters ready to go and it fit the timeline.It would have been stupid not to do Bardock when they did. They don't even have voice actors for half of the characters in the movie yet.

When are you going to parody the Broly Movie / _____ Special?

Our current, concrete plan is to cover each movie and special as they originally were released alongside the series. As such, you can likely expect Broly before the Cell Games. As for movies that have been passed such as The Worlds Strongest? We may or may not cover that in the future as well. That all comes down to time.

Turin

Banned
I'm down for it.

I would hope he finally decides to give Gohan his balls back but I think he likes them where they are, in a jar on his shelf.

TheBear

Is Toriyama blocking creation of new content without his approval?
DBGT sucks but I am sure there are others who could do the franchise justice.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom